Grimmer Davies Willis Stokes
Bayliss Doyle Kelly Shipley
Biamou Mcnulty

Or

Burge
Sterling Davies Willis Brown
Thomas Bayliss Doyle Hiwula
Chaplin JCH

Which side is stronger? I think we have a much stronger squad as a whole this year. I suspect the answers to this will be influenced by our current form and if I had asked 5 games ago or maybe in 5 games time, the answers would vary.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

A mixture of both.

Grimmer and Kelly, in my eyes, are key for any promotion push. I think Shipley may be out of his depth in League 1. JCH has performed admirably, however Biamou pips him if he continues on the form he was in before his injury.

I would have McNulty over Chaplin any day.

standupforcity

A mixture of both.

Grimmer and Kelly, in my eyes, are key for any promotion push. I think Shipley may be out of his depth in League 1. JCH has performed admirably, however Biamou pips him if he continues on the form he was in before his injury.

Agree with most of that, except McNulty over Chaplin....Chaplin is only just warming up, and I don't think McNulty would even get in the team....

clint van damme

A mixture of both.

I can't see Grimmer getting in ahead of Sterling.

Greggs

A mixture of both.

Yeah if he stays in the u23's. Cant defend for toffee.

Mucca Mad Boys

A mixture of both.

Last season, Biamou was probably better than JCH overall. However, this season JCH has been a menace for defences and has looked dominant in ways Biamou simply hasn’t shown to date. Biamou is a solid player, but JCH really has stepped up this season.

Gillingham, Sunderland and Bradford he’s dominated and really should’ve scored more than the one goal in all those games.

Gibbo

This year's side does look more creative - Brown Thomas and Hiwula beat Stokes Kelly and Shipley.
Grimmer was better than Sterling version 1, but definitely poorer than the new improved Sterling. Couldn't see Jack running the length of the pitch, checking TWICE as to what the other players were doing before going to the byline and giving a nicely weighted cross to the far post to win the game, could you?

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Last season, Biamou was probably better than JCH overall. However, this season JCH has been a menace for defences and has looked dominant in ways Biamou simply hasn’t shown to date. Biamou is a solid player, but JCH really has stepped up this season.

Gillingham, Sunderland and Bradford he’s dominated and really should’ve scored more than the one goal in all those games.

But being a menace to defence isn't the stat that counts. Putting the ball in the back of the net is. However I agree and, if he just brushes up that aspect of his game, he will be a better all-around player.

But I still stand by that I would have Biamou as at the end of last season, than JCH now. Whether that changes remains to be seen, and I seriously hope it does.

Sky Blue Pete

This year's side does look more creative - Brown Thomas and Hiwula beat Stokes Kelly and Shipley.
Grimmer was better than Sterling version 1, but definitely poorer than the new improved Sterling. Couldn't see Jack running the length of the pitch, checking TWICE as to what the other players were doing before going to the byline and giving a nicely weighted cross to the far post to win the game, could you?
Not many saw him curling a beautiful left footed shot into the far corner at Wembley but he did

Grendel

But being a menace to defence isn't the stat that counts. Putting the ball in the back of the net is. However I agree and, if he just brushes up that aspect of his game, he will be a better all-around player.

But I still stand by that I would have Biamou as at the end of last season, than JCH now. Whether that changes remains to be seen, and I seriously hope it does.

Biamou scores in two of his last 9 games last season - we’d be really struggling if he was the main option this season

Mucca Mad Boys

If you want to bring stats into it, JCH had a better goals and assists ratio than Biamou even last season. So statistically, JCH was better even last season. This said, our form as a team at the end of this season warranted Biamou’s selection. Which brings me onto my next point. We’ve won 5 in a row, something we didn’t even do in a promotion season. This season the team is functioning really well and I don’t see how Biamou improves this. Biamou was never prolific, and never dominated defences like we’ve seen JCH do several times this season already.

Frankly, with Biamou up front this season, we did look impotent in front of goal in the games he did start. I’m not conflating his appearances and our poor form, but Gillingham away was something of a minor turning point in our season.

CanadianCCFC

Burge
Grimmer Davies Willis Stokes
Bayliss Doyle Kelly Shipley
Biamou Mcnulty

Or

Burge
Sterling Davies Willis Brown
Thomas Bayliss Doyle Hiwula
Chaplin JCH

Which side is stronger? I think we have a much stronger squad as a whole this year. I suspect the answers to this will be influenced by our current form and if I had asked 5 games ago or maybe in 5 games time, the answers would vary.
Mason for brown

Magwitch

The squad is good and has depth, however there is always need for improvement and I’ll be interested to see what happens in the January window, if better players become available and are gettable I expect MR to go for them

Legia Sky Blue

Another big difference between your comparative teams are that the players in both teams (Burge, Davies, Willis & Bayliss), now have the extra confidence and belief in themselves instilled by our promotion, and which has made them better players as a result.

Marty

Amazes me that anyone still thinks Grimmer is a better player than Sterling

I had my doubts about Sterling after those first 6 or so games, looked non league at best, now he's settled in, hes far better then Grimmer, absolutely no comparison between them, whips in a great ball as well.

no_loyalty

Sterling is the most improved player since the start of the season, and deserves to keep his place at RB.

I think Grimmer will be a bit part player this season, and will only feature in the cup games or if Sterling is away on international duty.

Nick

Administrator
Was Grimmer on a 2 year deal? Not saying I want to get rid but if this is his final year and he hasn't played much he probably isn't going to want to stay.

Magwitch

Sterling is proving every match he will be a Premiership player in the future whether that’s with Chelsea we’ll see, yet was almost written off by the “experts” on here after a couple of games.

fernandopartridge

Sterling is proving every match he will be a Premiership player in the future whether that’s with Chelsea we’ll see, yet was almost written off by the “experts” on here after a couple of games.

Yes, I hate ridiculous sweeping predictions, don't you?

fatso

I’d still say grimmer is a better defender, but Sterling is far better going forward,
But if sterling keeps progressing in the way he has over the last few games, he’ll be some player.

SlowerThanPlatt

With his pace - couldn’t Sterling be a direct replacement for Thomas in January? Therefore we could play Grimmer at RB and Sterling on RW

Thomas said he wants to stay for the season as playing in L1 has helped his game on massively. I don’t see him being needed back by Derby this season, they have the lad Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool for the season

Magwitch

Thomas said he wants to stay for the season as playing in L1 has helped his game on massively. I don’t see him being needed back by Derby this season, they have the lad Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool for the season
That would be fine but then he goes back to Derby, why not develop our own, don’t get me wrong I like Thomas but there’s quality here.

Sick Boy

A mixture of both.

Sterling is a far superior football to Grimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread