Match Thread Nottingham Forest (H) (1 Viewer)

djr8369

That control was incredible. But Faz is right too, he ran the ball out a few times and was occasionally sloppy in the final 3rd. About what I expected for a 19 year old making his Championship debut. He will improve with every match he plays and he will look better too with Dabo at RWB. The wingbacks are key to that formation and they need to work in tandem, it can't have been easy to know when to tuck in or when to get forward with Dacosta on the other side. He showed enough moments to be confident he has the potential to develop as the season goes on.
As somebody pointed out remember Sterling’s first few games. He was getting dogs abuse and had a great season in the end.

harvey098

That control was incredible. But Faz is right too, he ran the ball out a few times and was occasionally sloppy in the final 3rd. About what I expected for a 19 year old making his Championship debut. He will improve with every match he plays and he will look better too with Dabo at RWB. The wingbacks are key to that formation and they need to work in tandem, it can't have been easy to know when to tuck in or when to get forward with Dacosta on the other side. He showed enough moments to be confident he has the potential to develop as the season goes on.

Thats kind of what I meant by “that’s all we can tell from that performance” meaning it’s unfair to judge the other parts because it was first game at a level above and will take time to adjust but there were two sublime first touches that show the technical quality is there.

lifeskyblue

Moore. lol

Yes if passion made you a good keeper he would be pushing for an England place. It was great to see his reaction to the goal and final whistle. His keeping performance was better than preseason and despite 1 missed cross, being slow off his line a few times and a couple of ‘iffy’ clearances he did well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ccfcisparks

Yes if passion made you a good keeper he would be pushing for an England place. It was great to see his reaction to the goal and final whistle. His keeping performance was better than preseason and despite 1 missed cross, being slow off his line a few times and a couple of ‘iffy’ clearances he did well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree he had a good game, but I don't think he was slow off his line. I can't think of a time he wasn't there when he should be.

kg82

I agree he had a good game, but I don't think he was slow off his line. I can't think of a time he wasn't there when he should be.
Literally saved us going 2-0 down by being quick off his line! I can’t think of another time he had to be quick off his line. Was impressed by him yesterday, I felt confident when the ball was played in that he’d claim it.

Hobo

As somebody pointed out remember Sterling’s first few games. He was getting dogs abuse and had a great season in the end.
And that is what annoys me about some of our fans. They consistently do it - Try and crucify a player on their debut. The whole side was struggling to find a a consistent rhythm first half, even O'Hare. So why stick it to a 19 year old making his debute?

It is no use saying young players wont be affected by what is said on a forum. The evidence is out there up and down the country with numerous players. Fan opinion can affect their confidence.

First six games will be a learning curve for Maatsen. He looks pretty comfortable on the ball with a good touch and willing to attack. He tried somethings that didn't come off - so what. He may have to work on his defence, but again so what? He is 19 making his debute at Championship level. Just because he is from Chelsea doesnt mean he is Premier League ready. He is here to develop, make mistakes and learn from them.

SIR ERNIE

A great day out with my son who lives in Spain and I haven’t seen for two years and a last 15 minutes that will live long in the memory. Could have done without the M6/M1/M25/M3 slog afterwards once we finally got out of the Tesco car park but well still worth every mile of it.

OHare was the difference. A performance that was even one level above last season. We will do well to keep hold of him.

McFadz was a true leader, didn’t put a foot wrong.

Gyokeres worked his socks off and was a constant nuisance. A good asset.

The best bits of Sheaf’s game are decent but every performance is littered with mistakes that will cost goals. Needs to be quicker on the ball and/or find more space to receive the ball. Study videos of McAllister.

DaCosta and Maatsen were poor. Our game needs effective wide play and as soon as Dabo and Jones replaced them the game transformed.

Still two or three good players short of a strong side but that was great stuff.

NortonSkyBlue

There's no escaping the fact that pre-season recruitment hasnt been the best,
Starting the first game of the campaign with Dabo at CH and telling Pask he can go then having to put him on the bench isn't ideal.
We all know about the issues with Covid, and we arnt alone in that respect, and we missed out on a couple of targets financially, which is part and parcel of being a club on a tight budget, but having said all that, we went into sundays game unprepared. A LWB that has never played at this level, and had far too little time to prepare with us, and as I've said, Pask being bombed out before cover is in place (hopefully that will change this week) no replacement for Ostigard or James, precious little MF cover could come back to haunt us too.

I feel we got out of jail to a certain degree, as Forest were even more poorly prepared than we were, and they visibly faded in the later stages, and our fans definitely lifted the players in the second half.

On a plus side, we won, which is a massive bonus, (obviously) Moore looked useful, which will calm some people down, and with the window being open still, there's still time to prep the squad.
We also showed enough quality in the second half to ensure we stay clear of the relegation scrap this season.
And if we can maintain that level of home support, we could turn the stadium into a fortress. PUSB!
On your last point it certainly makes a difference to have great away support in the ground, you do feel back in the game when you see such numbers unlike most of league one and two. A reminder of better days behind us and hopefully to come.

djr8369

And that is what annoys me about some of our fans. They consistently do it - Try and crucify a player on their debut. The whole side was struggling to find a a consistent rhythm first half, even O'Hare. So why stick it to a 19 year old making his debute?

It is no use saying young players wont be affected by what is said on a forum. The evidence is out there up and down the country with numerous players. Fan opinion can affect their confidence.

First six games will be a learning curve for Maatsen. He looks pretty comfortable on the ball with a good touch and willing to attack. He tried somethings that didn't come off - so what. He may have to work on his defence, but again so what? He is 19 making his debute at Championship level. Just because he is from Chelsea doesnt mean he is Premier League ready. He is here to develop, make mistakes and learn from them.

Good points. They’ll be loads of stuff from that game they can work on with him, positioning, when to get forward and when to start getting back as he was caught a few times. He’s got great technical ability and speed. He will be good for us I think.

CCFCSteve

Still can’t believe people are banging on about our transfer window after a great win yesterday ?! We don’t know whats gone on over the summer, who we went for, who said they’d come but then didn’t, what issues/delays Covid has caused etc etc. We’ve been unlucky with Covid and injuries with the current squad, Dacosta wouldn’t have started yesterday if Rose was 100% fit or even if Eccles was.

The window hasn’t closed, we’re obviously trying to get more players in. Back the players that are on the pitch until then (some aren’t first choices but will have to do a job). If the window closes and we’ve got the same squad i agree, it will look light for the season, but I doubt that will be the case

Looking back on yesterday so proud of the players and the fans. Heads didn’t drop and momentum and noise built throughout second half. Amazing to be back home !

Gibbo

That first goal was a catalogue of errors and showed why O'Hare still has some improvement to do in his awareness.

O'Hare nutmeged the Forest defender, but opted to fire the ball into the middle, although it was well covered by defenders and the one City player was on the other side of them. Sheaf on the other hand had pulled back, was unmarked and was calling, but O'Hare did not see him.

Fortuntely the ball cannoned off the defender back to Sheaf. He has been credited for an assist but it looked to me that the ball just bounced off him into the path of Gyokeres (who had also pulled back), who just buried it.

ceetee

I didn't see either goal because of a jack- in - the- box who 'sits' in the row in front in line with the goal

fatso

That first goal was a catalogue of errors and showed why O'Hare still has some improvement to do in his awareness.

O'Hare nutmeged the Forest defender, but opted to fire the ball into the middle, although it was well covered by defenders and the one City player was on the other side of them. Sheaf on the other hand had pulled back, was unmarked and was calling, but O'Hare did not see him.

Fortuntely the ball cannoned off the defender back to Sheaf. He has been credited for an assist but it looked to me that the ball just bounced off him into the path of Gyokeres (who had also pulled back), who just buried it.
Ohare was looking to pick out Walker who was in the 6 yard box waiting for a tap in.
But he telegraphed the pass, luckily the defensive interception fell kindly for us, and the rest as they say is history.

I agree that Ohare still needs a lot of work on his final ball, but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be playing at a mid table championship club.

Brighton Sky Blue

An injury time winner makes things look better too. In the course of the season, this is a game we should have won given last session and their build up to it. It was our transfer business that caused Dabo to be playing centre back and DaCosta on the pitch... and that nearly cost us that opportunity.

We need that centre back in sharpish. An injury time winner papers over that, and Forest's appalling build up also masked Jones at Lwb. Happy to see him back, delighted he got through it, but even the biggest fan probably doesn't want to see him there too often!

A lot of times this season we aren’t going to need a perfect display, just one that’s good enough on the day. Plenty of other sides have also recruited poorly and had less than ideal pre-seasons so they’re also going to be imperfect on the pitch. Against the teams who haven’t had those issues yep we’ll be as mismatched as Dabo was against Taylor yesterday, but that won’t be every week.

Mucca Mad Boys

An injury time winner makes things look better too. In the course of the season, this is a game we should have won given last session and their build up to it. It was our transfer business that caused Dabo to be playing centre back and DaCosta on the pitch... and that nearly cost us that opportunity.

We need that centre back in sharpish. An injury time winner papers over that, and Forest's appalling build up also masked Jones at Lwb. Happy to see him back, delighted he got through it, but even the biggest fan probably doesn't want to see him there too often!

I think Robins was trying something by putting Dabo at centre back. He was marking their number 17 who looked lively in the first half. It didn’t really work because Dabo can’t really head the ball and got caught on the wrong side of his man which lead to a Forest half chance. DaCosta wasn’t playing particularly well so that’s why Rose was introduced so quickly.

We definitely need 2-3 signings to finish the window, and Robins certainly won’t be complacent, either.

What is fair, however, is that our recruitment hasn’t been that bad and a lot better than a lot of clubs in this league. We’ve got a young side who are developing and getting better together.

Ccfcisparks

Fair enough, I may have missed that moment
Dont get me wrong, there were times he overran it, and a couple of times from memory where it ran out of play where it shouldnt have but he did look useful on the ball. Defensively was a different story though, will give him time.

Gibbo

Ohare was looking to pick out Walker who was in the 6 yard box waiting for a tap in.
But he telegraphed the pass, luckily the defensive interception fell kindly for us, and the rest as they say is history.

I agree that Ohare still needs a lot of work on his final ball, but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be playing at a mid table championship club.
Walker had 5 Forest players between him and O'Hare - who had nil chance of reaching him

kg82

Jesus Christ.

skyblueelephant76

I think Robins was trying something by putting Dabo at centre back. He was marking their number 17 who looked lively in the first half. It didn’t really work because Dabo can’t really head the ball and got caught on the wrong side of his man which lead to a Forest half chance. DaCosta wasn’t playing particularly well so that’s why Rose was introduced so quickly.

We definitely need 2-3 signings to finish the window, and Robins certainly won’t be complacent, either.

What is fair, however, is that our recruitment hasn’t been that bad and a lot better than a lot of clubs in this league. We’ve got a young side who are developing and getting better together.
Dabo only played there because Rose wasn't fit enough for 90 minutes. I doubt we'll ever see Dabo play there again.

kg82

Imagine your reaction to that goal being 'O'Hare needs to improve his awareness'

Honestly, some of you seem to hate watching us. Find a new hobby that you enjoy!
Exactly. If you look, sheaf has pulled off, but he’s not in a position where you’d think to play it to him and you’d have a chance of scoring. There’s men between Gyo and O’Hare. The right ball is where I’ve marked and what O’Hare tried to do. Add to that, how he mugged off 2 Forest players in the first place, and then you’ve got some pleb trying to say it’s a catalogue of errors. Absolutely mind boggling.

5C9332A6-D721-41AE-A2C2-775A55C05C54.jpeg

Mcbean

Thought the ref was a bit lax with giving cards apart from the Fadz drawback 😀 - that could bite us later on

great day yesterday- singing exceptional - we improved as we went on - reception for Jones was emotional

Forest victims of their own time wasting 😀

and nobody could bitch about Bright who is still to come PUSB

Grendel

Dabo had to play there as Rose was not fit

The problem is we are fragile in squad depth. Kelly is probably in his last season at this level anyway and injury prone. Jones had to play wing back as the only other option is a 19 year old making his first appearance at this level

We have options upfront but very few capable replacements elsewhere in the team. Consider if McFazdean, Rose, O Hare were injured for the next game. The bench really had only 3 options you would want on the pitch and they were the ones who came on

Sbarcher

A lot of times this season we aren’t going to need a perfect display, just one that’s good enough on the day. Plenty of other sides have also recruited poorly and had less than ideal pre-seasons so they’re also going to be imperfect on the pitch. Against the teams who haven’t had those issues yep we’ll be as mismatched as Dabo was against Taylor yesterday, but that won’t be every week.
Think their goal was unfortuneate for Dabo. He leaned in to clear and got his boot caught in the pitch. Otherwise, he was favourite to get it cleared.

Terry_dactyl

What a fantastic result. I feel really sorry for the couple of blokes sat next to me who left before the end. Nice lads too.

Anyway, I’m sure it’s been covered on here but talking to my old man who watched on Sky…he reckons Ohare got a “slap” from Bong. Apparently the commentators said he should’ve been sent off. Anyone see it?

Edit: just seen the other thread.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

What a fantastic result. I feel really sorry for the couple of blokes sat next to me who left before the end. Nice lads too.

Anyway, I’m sure it’s been covered on here but talking to my old man who watched on Sky…he reckons Ohare got a “slap” from Bong. Apparently the commentators said he should’ve been sent off. Anyone see it?
Yep

shmmeee

A great day out with my son who lives in Spain and I haven’t seen for two years and a last 15 minutes that will live long in the memory. Could have done without the M6/M1/M25/M3 slog afterwards once we finally got out of the Tesco car park but well still worth every mile of it.

OHare was the difference. A performance that was even one level above last season. We will do well to keep hold of him.

McFadz was a true leader, didn’t put a foot wrong.

Gyokeres worked his socks off and was a constant nuisance. A good asset.

The best bits of Sheaf’s game are decent but every performance is littered with mistakes that will cost goals. Needs to be quicker on the ball and/or find more space to receive the ball. Study videos of McAllister.

DaCosta and Maatsen were poor. Our game needs effective wide play and as soon as Dabo and Jones replaced them the game transformed.

Still two or three good players short of a strong side but that was great stuff.

What exactly are these mistakes that will cost goals that Sheafs performance was littered with yesterday?

Even the gimp behind me slagging him off only went off once after a misplaced pass in the middle of the pitch.

People need to get over this and start supporting the lad. He’s doing well.

Sky Blue Pete

What exactly are these mistakes that will cost goals that Sheafs performance was littered with yesterday?

Even the gimp behind me slagging him off only went off once after a misplaced pass.
Sheaf was a solid 7 yesterday. Was very telling that even though hamer and sheaf were both booked robins didn’t look to change the middle two even with shipley and Allen on the bench and fit. And to be fair hamer gave the ref hell after he’d been booked

Users who are viewing this thread