Match Thread Nottingham Forest (H) (4 Viewers)

South West Sky Blue

Played a decent side in the division. Both teams have had pre-season difficulties. Think both teams will play better this season.
Most pleasing things for me are:

1) we came from behind (no jokes!)
2) we tried to play decent football
3) we had a keeper who wasn't like Dracula with crosses into the box (I say, trying not to jinx him!)
4) we won without playing our best. That performance was 6/7 out of 10. I worry about Dacosta, but other players like Dabo, Hamer, the forwards......can and will all play better. They're the key members of the team.

steve cooper

Perhaps food for thought for Hughton in resting on that one goal lead. A bit like England at the Euros if you've got the advantage and the opposition's sort of playing into your hands why change your approach and allow them back in?
That's my view, we may have mugged Forest today. I doubt very much we could have played 90+ minutes at the intensity we played the 2nd half, given that it was the first game and we've had a less than ideal pre-season. We would have run out of steam like Forest did.

junglej13

Played a decent side in the division. Both teams have had pre-season difficulties. Think both teams will play better this season.
Most pleasing things for me are:

1) we came from behind (no jokes!)
2) we tried to play decent football
3) we had a keeper who wasn't like Dracula with crosses into the box (I say, trying not to jinx him!)
4) we won without playing our best. That performance was 6/7 out of 10. I worry about Dacosta, but other players like Dabo, Hamer, the forwards......can and will all play better. They're the key members of the team.
Rose and Jones were two huge plus points for me. You almost forget how good Rose is as he struggled to get to fitness last season. Personally also think Gyökeres will hit double figures for us.

SlowerThanPlatt

Quite liked the article in the Birmingham Mail that someone posted the other day. Said how good he’s been for us and then claimed they did the right thing to let him go on a free. Erm.

I’m sure he refused a contract, probably because they were going to loan him out him out again than include him in their first team. There’s levels in football…Villa are trying to break into the top 6 in the Premier League, we’re trying to stay up in the Championship!

Telfer85

Still buzzing now after that last minute winner. As some have already said quite the emotional day seeing all those faces and names before kick off and the Curtis tribute.
First half wasn’t the best, some players looked off the pace and passing wasn’t clicking but the ideas were there. 2nd half we just gradually improved after some good changes from robins. It’s far too early to write anyone off or partnerships that aren’t working. Pre season was very disrupted and the games we did play most of the first team only got 45 mins playing with each other. I think with 2/3 additions jcs/another lb/lwb/ cm this team will improve and hopefully have a steady season and steer clear of trouble and for me that will be success.
There was a moment second half before the twist and shout song when one of the forest players was down and a chorus of the sky blue song went up and it really felt it lifted the team and they upped their game. Great support and a great game that I won’t forget in a while. Defo lived up to fight till the game is won today.

Theonlywayisskyblue

The comments about COH are interesting. I think to succeed in this division you need somebody who can offer something over and above - and consistently. Callum does this and he’s still young and learning and improving. With him in our side we might - without him we probably won’t. We are very lucky to have a real talent who will only get better and better and yes we will wish him well when he moves on but until then let’s appreciate the talent, the work rate, the desire and the number of free kicks he wins.

Brighton Sky Blue

The comments about COH are interesting. I think to succeed in this division you need somebody who can offer something over and above - and consistently. Callum does this and he’s still young and learning and improving. With him in our side we might - without him we probably won’t. We are very lucky to have a real talent who will only get better and better and yes we will wish him well when he moves on but until then let’s appreciate the talent, the work rate, the desire and the number of free kicks he wins.

Not sure if folks noticed but he was giving subtle pointers to DaCosta throughout the first half, not just from linking up down the right but also for drop balls giving a little nod to make a run for a quick ball.

kg82

I agree about O'Hare slap was just missed and probably hard for ref to stop.

Hand ball he was turning away trying to get chest on ball. More ball to arm than arm towards ball. Not a pen for me.
Might be true, but he still moved his arm towards the ball so it was an “unnatural position”. It was handball, for sure. But doesn’t matter now!

robbiekeane

No one allowed to be negative about our transfer window.

Told you cunts.
No it isn't.

Some people got slaughtered on this forum. They deserve everything they get. Cunts.

Now that your Stella has worn off, we won, and the emotions have calmed down, how do you feel about these two posts? Like honestly, if you can put your ego aside

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Now that your Stella has worn off, we won, and the emotions have calmed down, how do you feel about these two posts? Like honestly, if you can put your ego aside

Apart from the excessive use of the c-bomb, I still stand with what I said regarding the transfer window. We started Dabo at CB...

We've got a lot of people that seem to come on here to moan about other people moaning during the match thread after it's happened. Not all of us can go to the game so it is one of the only outlets, and things that are said in the heat of the moment often look stupid afterwards. I have no arguments that I'm a right bastard for it. It's the same in the ground though, I guess the difference is that no one is there carrying around a dictaphone.

If my Stella-driven actions upset you, then I am truly sorry.

mr_monkey

Apart from the excessive use of the c-bomb, I still stand with what I said regarding the transfer window. We started Dabo at CB...

We've got a lot of people that seem to come on here to moan about other people moaning during the match thread after it's happened. Not all of us can go to the game so it is one of the only outlets, and things that are said in the heat of the moment often look stupid afterwards. I have no arguments that I'm a right bastard for it. It's the same in the ground though, I guess the difference is that no one is there carrying around a dictaphone.

Yet again though you are missing the point, the transfer window isn't closed yet so you can't make a sweeping statement about its success until it has.... If it was closed then personally it be fairly happy but as we all saw yesterday we need at least one CB and probably a cm until Kelly/Eccles are fit

I love the irony of you calling other people juvenile and then you having a massive toddler strop when we conceded a goal in a game we went on to win (and three of our window signings played major parts in us winning it)

usskyblue

I think we’re at a point where a fucking big step back is needed.

Yeah, there’s some arseholes and wind up merchants around, but at the end of the day? We fuck around on here because we love our club. Like everything in life, we’re not all going to see things the same way… add to that, we don’t know what shit any of us is dealing with at any given time. I’ve been a class A hindsight fucksocket on here sometimes …but all I could think of today was my Mum who I lost this year. In 1976 she introduced me to what would become the most amazing gift and curse.

The highs were so high you could touch the fucking moon … and the lows? So low that I’d turn off the tv off and want to forget football even existed. Perspective is everything.

What a start to the season. The Skyblue Army did everyone who couldn’t be there proud. Fucking love our club

fatso

Yet again though you are missing the point, the transfer window isn't closed yet so you can't make a sweeping statement about its success until it has.... If it was closed then personally it be fairly happy but as we all saw yesterday we need at least one CB and probably a cm until Kelly/Eccles are fit

I love the irony of you calling other people juvenile and then you having a massive toddler strop when we conceded a goal in a game we went on to win (and three of our window signings played major parts in us winning it)
There's no escaping the fact that pre-season recruitment hasnt been the best,
Starting the first game of the campaign with Dabo at CH and telling Pask he can go then having to put him on the bench isn't ideal.
We all know about the issues with Covid, and we arnt alone in that respect, and we missed out on a couple of targets financially, which is part and parcel of being a club on a tight budget, but having said all that, we went into sundays game unprepared. A LWB that has never played at this level, and had far too little time to prepare with us, and as I've said, Pask being bombed out before cover is in place (hopefully that will change this week) no replacement for Ostigard or James, precious little MF cover could come back to haunt us too.

I feel we got out of jail to a certain degree, as Forest were even more poorly prepared than we were, and they visibly faded in the later stages, and our fans definitely lifted the players in the second half.

On a plus side, we won, which is a massive bonus, (obviously) Moore looked useful, which will calm some people down, and with the window being open still, there's still time to prep the squad.
We also showed enough quality in the second half to ensure we stay clear of the relegation scrap this season.
And if we can maintain that level of home support, we could turn the stadium into a fortress. PUSB!

NorthernWisdom

An injury time winner makes things look better too. In the course of the season, this is a game we should have won given last session and their build up to it. It was our transfer business that caused Dabo to be playing centre back and DaCosta on the pitch... and that nearly cost us that opportunity.

We need that centre back in sharpish. An injury time winner papers over that, and Forest's appalling build up also masked Jones at Lwb. Happy to see him back, delighted he got through it, but even the biggest fan probably doesn't want to see him there too often!

usskyblue

An injury time winner makes things look better too. In the course of the season, this is a game we should have won given last session and their build up to it. It was our transfer business that caused Dabo to be playing centre back and DaCosta on the pitch... and that nearly cost us that opportunity.

We need that centre back in sharpish. An injury time winner papers over that, and Forest's appalling build up also masked Jones at Lwb. Happy to see him back, delighted he got through it, but even the biggest fan probably doesn't want to see him there too often!

I totally agree with your assessment of what we need.

But… we played our fucking arses off in the second half DESPITE everything. I don’t for one minute think we can sustain the situation without more defensive quality but you’ve got to hand it to Robins, the players, the collective spirit of the squad and the amazing support for what we collectively achieved on opening day

Covkid1968#

I think we’re at a point where a fucking big step back is needed.

Yeah, there’s some arseholes and wind up merchants around, but at the end of the day? We fuck around on here because we love our club. Like everything in life, we’re not all going to see things the same way… add to that, we don’t know what shit any of us is dealing with at any given time. I’ve been a class A hindsight fucksocket on here sometimes …but all I could think of today was my Mum who I lost this year. In 1976 she introduced me to what would become the most amazing gift and curse.

The highs were so high you could touch the fucking moon … and the lows? So low that I’d turn off the tv off and want to forget football even existed. Perspective is everything.

What a start to the season. The Skyblue Army did everyone who couldn’t be there proud. Fucking love our club
“A Hindsight fucksocket” surely this needs to become the recognised term used from this point on for those daft over reactions during games!!!

Bristol sky blue

Ive got covid so had to watch on sky (of all the games to miss!) but you lot that were there were outstanding. Could hear you constantly.

Moore looked good from crosses and that save at 1-0 was obviously crucial in the end.

Maatsen has a PL touch. That’s about all we can know from that performance.

O’Hare was everywhere. So influential on and off the ball, as always.

Walker has to play.

Can’t believe how much has changed since Robins stepped through the door. Both on the field and the general connection between the fans and team. Whatever happens from here, he will go down as a forever legend in the turnaround of our club.
Good post - only part I disagree with is I think Walker is going to be a real super sub for us this season and will impact games with his clever movement as defenders get tired.

Skybluefaz

Ive got covid so had to watch on sky (of all the games to miss!) but you lot that were there were outstanding. Could hear you constantly.

Moore looked good from crosses and that save at 1-0 was obviously crucial in the end.

Maatsen has a PL touch. That’s about all we can know from that performance.

O’Hare was everywhere. So influential on and off the ball, as always.

Walker has to play.

Can’t believe how much has changed since Robins stepped through the door. Both on the field and the general connection between the fans and team. Whatever happens from here, he will go down as a forever legend in the turnaround of our club.
Did Maatsen display a Premier League touch yesterday? I saw him touch it out of play when in decent areas a number of times. It's early days for him though and an occasion like he has probably never experienced so a few mitigating factors for sure.

Ccfcisparks

Did Maatsen display a Premier League touch yesterday? I saw him touch it out of play when in decent areas a number of times. It's early days for him though and an occasion like he has probably never experienced so a few mitigating factors for sure.
Yes he did when Dabo hit that cross field ball to him and he stopped it dead on his toe out of the sky

stay_up_skyblues

In fairness you’re right about similar flounces early on from a minority in the ground. My new neighbour for the season was giving the team pelters, apparently we never looked like scoring either (two minutes after Sheaf hit the bar - is that not the definition of “looking” like scoring?). Was already planning my seat move. But then the guy turned into a super fan after the equaliser and actually picked me up hugging me when the winner went in. Covid safe it wasn’t, but fuck it. Think I’ll stay where I am now 🤣

Esoterica

Yes he did when Dabo hit that cross field ball to him and he stopped it dead on his toe out of the sky
That control was incredible. But Faz is right too, he ran the ball out a few times and was occasionally sloppy in the final 3rd. About what I expected for a 19 year old making his Championship debut. He will improve with every match he plays and he will look better too with Dabo at RWB. The wingbacks are key to that formation and they need to work in tandem, it can't have been easy to know when to tuck in or when to get forward with Dacosta on the other side. He showed enough moments to be confident he has the potential to develop as the season goes on.

djr8369

As expected a bit of an emotional fixture, with first game back, memorials etc. What a fantastic 2nd half. Hats off to those in singers corner for what must be the loudest and longest rendition of Twist and Shout I’ve heard at a home game and really built the atmosphere.

The spirit between fans, players and staff was incredible and no doubt helped get us over the line. Gyro was buzzing to score in front of the fans, it clearly meant a lot to JJ to be back, Moore too I noticed I was buzzing with the win. Crazy to think COH had never played at the CBS! I think a few players bond with the club and fan base will really be improved after that.

Great to get a last minute winner especially against Forest who robbed us twice last season but yes the squad looks thin in CM and defence atm. Couple in this week hopefully.

ajsccfc

Hoping with the arrival of the season ticket cards the turnstiles will be a lot quicker, best part of half an hour before in what masqueraded as a queue and just made it through in time. When they announced the minute of silence for George Curtis and while it was being observed by everyone in the queue, after a few seconds the loudspeaker yelled out THERE ARE TURNSTILES IN THE NORTH STAND WITH SMALL QUEUES which was unfortunate timing

Users who are viewing this thread