Not using Cash since lockdown (1 Viewer)

eastwoodsdustman

I had to deposit just short of 900 quid in my account last week.
They grilled me as if it was 9 grand. Really pissed me off. I thought about it after and I'm going to tell them to piss off if they try it again. Piss take.
Especially as I rarely deposit cash.[/QUOTE

Its usually to do with money laundering regulations. Unusal deposits of cash or large amounts are always getting queried nowdays.

shmmeee

Alright I do know what a TikTok is, mostly because I’ve got a 10 year old and the missus watches them. I suppose more accurate would be WHY is a TikTok? Most of them are garbage. Same as YouTubers in general. They’re all shit. I don’t get it.

upload_2020-5-19_15-56-1.jpeg

Gazolba

Don't know if anybody has found it the same - and apologies for anybody struggling financially - but I have become increasingly aware that I am not using cash since the lockdown started, and have tried to examine why. <snip>
For me this is nothing new.
I've been using less and less cash over the past few years.
There are still a few businesses here that do not accept credit cards, so I carry a small amount of cash for that reason.
I also sometimes will pay cash if a business charges an exhorbitant premium for using a credit card (technically illegal but some businesses still do it).
Otherwise everything goes on a card.
I like that I get a complete categorised list of everything I've spent in the last month.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Alright I do know what a TikTok is, mostly because I’ve got a 10 year old and the missus watches them. I suppose more accurate would be WHY is a TikTok? Most of them are garbage. Same as YouTubers in general. They’re all shit. I don’t get it.
Having just googled tiktok isn't it the same as tout that was around a few years ago and completely flopped or Vine which got the chop when other services added video?

There's so much overlap on these sites its ridiculous, people must waste hours. Do new ones keep emerging just because kids want to be on something that nobody else is on and therefore nobody is telling them what they can and can't do on there?

shmmeee

Having just googled tiktok isn't it the same as tout that was around a few years ago and completely flopped or Vine which got the chop when other services added video?

There's so much overlap on these sites its ridiculous, people must waste hours. Do new ones keep emerging just because kids want to be on something that nobody else is on and therefore nobody is telling them what they can and can't do on there?

Right? Why not just upload a really short YouTube video? And the app is impossible to navigate! Why?!

I think growing up is not trying to stay on the train of the latest cool thing. As far as I’m concerned YouTube was the last big website/app and everything else is some nonsense fad for kids.

Sky Blue Harry H

Ironically, my son has just handed me £50 cash, as he wants to use my credit card to buy software :joyful:

hill83

View attachment 15106

There is some really good stuff on YouTube and there’s a bit of quality content if you know specifically what you are looking for. Never used tik tok though.

shmmeee

There is some really good stuff on YouTube and there’s a bit of quality content if you know specifically what you are looking for. Never used tik tok though.

I think YouTube is great, but YouTubers are garbage to a man. Not seen one that doesn’t piss me off within seconds.

skyblue1991

Rarely use cash. Only time I do is if I'm out on the beer or someone has owed it to me without bank transferring it to me.

I'm all for a cashless society. Better traceability of transactions, less tax dodgers, cannot lose it or be mugged. Also reducers spreading of viruses...

Yes the older generation would have to get used to it, but I cannot see how having an extra card would be a problem. Perhaps banks could prioritise helping the over 65s and encourage everyone else to use online banking?

It's a yes from me

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Grendel

clint van damme

Rarely use cash. Only time I do is if I'm out on the beer or someone has owed it to me without bank transferring it to me.

I'm all for a cashless society. Better traceability of transactions, less tax dodgers, cannot lose it or be mugged. Also reducers spreading of viruses...

Yes the older generation would have to get used to it, but I cannot see how having an extra card would be a problem. Perhaps banks could prioritise helping the over 65s and encourage everyone else to use online banking?

It's a yes from me

you think the big tax dodgers have got a shoe box full of twenties under the bed?!

shmmeee

Just been off down a Google hole about this and reading about Sweden where they’re almost cashless.

Some really interesting repercussions: hadn’t considered how cash is backed by the state, but money held in banks or apps isn’t. So it effectively privatises money. The Swedes are trialling government backed digital currency and app ecosystems but the thought is we wouldn’t as our state is more hands off than theirs.

Another point made both here and in Sweden is that we are “sleepwalking into a cashless society”, since 2007 cash usage has halved here and since 2017 more transactions are done with debit card. But I think that shows why it’s important to solve the issues around budgeting and ease of use and resilience in the face of disasters now. The market is going cashless and at some point you simply won’t be able to use it even if you want to as cash machines close and businesses/bank branches stop accepting it. When that happens it’s better we’ve got solutions in place than scrabbling around because we didn’t want to speed it up.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Cash is so wasteful and outdated, I’d rather see a decentralised payments system, maybe government hosted, ideally open source, so we can go cashless without a reliance on VISA and the like.

Let’s be honest, cash is only really used to avoid tax and other illegal stuff. I much prefer having a record of what I’ve spent and being able to lock access to my money in an instant than carrying bits of paper and metal around TBH. Though I’m quite future forward, don’t like physical media either or paper documentation.

Largely agree on the cashless issue but I still have some issues with going non-paper. Books etc - e-books are brilliant - but for records still not overly happy.

Years ago I put all the family history stuff my nan has done on the computer and also digitised a lot of the old photos. The family history program no longer works on modern OS so can't access and some of the photos have become corrupted files (but I do have back-ups and there are cloud services but what if something happens to them?). Happy I kept the originals just in case.

shmmeee

Largely agree on the cashless issue but I still have some issues with going non-paper. Books etc - e-books are brilliant - but for records still not overly happy.

Years ago I put all the family history stuff my nan has done on the computer and also digitised a lot of the old photos. The family history program no longer works on modern OS so can't access and some of the photos have become corrupted files (but I do have back-ups and there are cloud services but what if something happens to them?). Happy I kept the originals just in case.

Personally I’m willing to bet I’m more likely to lose some paper or a USB disk (or a whole laptop, there’s one with about 20BTC in a landfill somewhere) than Google is to lose my data. But I understand the unease. I guess it comes down to trust. Some people like to be fully in control themselves.

LastGarrison

It’s certainly time to think about taking a number of coins out of circulation.

1’s, 2’s and 5’s as an absolute minimum.

skyblue1991

. As far as I’m concerned YouTube was the last big website/app and everything else is some nonsense fad for kids.

WhatsApp? Used by most people I know that have a smartphone for messages using data and WiFi, the latter means no extra cost.

Calls and texts using minutes and text will be a thing of the past. All people care about is data.

Kneeza

I recall having a fiver left in my wallet after my last time out, pre lockdown, and picking up £100 from the hole in the wall on the way home.
Just checked my wallet, and there's £100 in it.
Own up. Who nicked that fiver?

Kneeza

Oh, and there's four quid in ones in the dish in the hall that's been gathering dust for bloody months.

tommydazzle

I have an honesty box outside my house for selling eggs, fruit, plants and other produce. Obviously always cash. I also buy stuff from other stalls using cash - small beer I know but it all adds up.

Users who are viewing this thread