Norwich Ratings (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

I thought we played very well.

Imagine Vik instead of Simms... We'd have won that. If Wright scores by placing the ball into the corner when clean through it could have been very different.

If I were Robins I think I'd be planning to get two new strikers in summer and try to sell Wright and Simms. They may both go on to do very well but it's not working here. Their only merit is being better than a 31 year old Godden.
Can you think of a time when poor performers have come good? I canā€™t see why selling players for a loss is going to help the club.

iis Wright being played as a striker?
Simms WIP
Godden. I have to say, heā€™s the one whoā€˜s disappointed in the last 3 months. Not because heā€™s useless, but because heā€˜s just not scoring Or assisting with goals.

But
Ā 

Astute

Had an emergency and had to go somewhere just as they scored their first goal so difficult for me to rate anyone. But from what I did see most of these scores are very low.

If the GK hadn't got his foot to the Wright shot we would have been 2-0 up and most probably wouldn't have lost at least. Would the ratings have been the same?
Ā 

Sky Blue Pete

Had an emergency and had to go somewhere just as they scored their first goal so difficult for me to rate anyone. But from what I did see most of these scores are very low.

If the GK hadn't got his foot to the Wright shot we would have been 2-0 up and most probably wouldn't have lost at least. Would the ratings have been the same?
No
Ā 

Disgruntled Sky Blue

The boom or bust attacking line up was admirable and MR nearly pulled it off. Slightly better than the Bristol performance but individual errors in the final third are a wind up. Our awareness in that part of the pitch is shocking. It's either pass, pass, pass, no shot, give it away. Or it's good counter attacking positions let down by wayward under hit or over hit passes which Wright, Palmer and Allen were all guilty of. And why is it we can't pass in front of a player?? The amount of momentum killing passes behind a player is frustrating.

Milan, Torp and possibly Palmer were best of the bunch. Felt sorry for Tats as he was targeted by their number 30 and 7 and pretty much getting away with it. As for that little shit of a number 7, I put him in the same bracket as Neymar - both requiring a two footed tackle on both knees.

The Carrow Road Curse continues but it should have been broken with the excellent chances falling to Wright and Palmer.
Ā 

Astute

The boom or bust attacking line up was admirable and MR nearly pulled it off. Slightly better than the Bristol performance but individual errors in the final third are a wind up. Our awareness in that part of the pitch is shocking. It's either pass, pass, pass, no shot, give it away. Or it's good counter attacking positions let down by wayward under hit or over hit passes which Wright, Palmer and Allen were all guilty of. And why is it we can't pass in front of a player?? The amount of momentum killing passes behind a player is frustrating.

Milan, Torp and possibly Palmer were best of the bunch. Felt sorry for Tats as he was targeted by their number 30 and 7 and pretty much getting away with it. As for that little shit of a number 7, I put him in the same bracket as Neymar - both requiring a two footed tackle on both knees.

The Carrow Road Curse continues but it should have been broken with the excellent chances falling to Wright and Palmer.
The game was played at 100mph. There's always going to be mistimed passes. The ref didn't help. Called a free kick for us when he should have given advantage and gave advantage when there wasn't one. Nearly every loose ball went to them.

They had the better of the 1st half but were still limited on good chances. Up to when they scored their first goal we were the better side in the second half. Up to their goal I couldn't see us losing. But as I said that was the last of the game I saw. My lad kept me informed although I couldn't look until after the game. He said the match was insane. Not seen him since as he was in bed by the time I got home.

Looking at the ratings given here I think it would be best waiting for my lad to get up to get a true reflection of how the rest of the game went.
Ā 

Disgruntled Sky Blue

The game was played at 100mph. There's always going to be mistimed passes. The ref didn't help. Called a free kick for us when he should have given advantage and gave advantage when there wasn't one. Nearly every loose ball went to them.

They had the better of the 1st half but were still limited on good chances. Up to when they scored their first goal we were the better side in the second half. Up to their goal I couldn't see us losing. But as I said that was the last of the game I saw. My lad kept me informed although I couldn't look until after the game. He said the match was insane. Not seen him since as he was in bed by the time I got home.

Looking at the ratings given here I think it would be best waiting for my lad to get up to get a true reflection of how the rest of the game went.

Agree the ref wasn't brilliant from our perspective but I'd like to see us doing all we can before bringing him into the equation.

Ultimately, they took their chances, we didn't.

Not sure our game management was the best either once we were 1:0 up.
Ā 

Deity

Nobody knows yet what he plays like. But some of our fans are still looking for a clone of Gyokeres and Hamer.
Also you only have to read this forum to realize how one person views a player to another is chalk and cheese.

So far seems hardworking and workmanlike to me. Has some nice attributes attack and defence without looking classy :
Lee Carsley or John Eustace type player (and neither of those are insulting).

But it it is still early days.
I think he looks very classy actually. Composed on the ball. Spots a pass. Not afraid to receive the ball in tight situations. Heā€™s featured in 3 matches so far after a 5-6 week mid season break, and heā€™s been our best midfielder in all of them and best player in 2 of them.

Robins normally and sometimes frustratingly takes his time to give new players many minutes, in fact he rarely starts them so they can adjust to the team, formation, pace of the league etc . The fact he has started Torp ahead of Allen, Eccles, Kelly, Lats should tell you quite a lot about the impression he has made on the manager.
Ā 

Astute

I think he looks very classy actually. Composed on the ball. Spots a pass. Not afraid to receive the ball in tight situations. Heā€™s featured in 3 matches so far after a 5-6 week mid season break, and heā€™s been our best midfielder in all of them and best player in 2 of them.

Robins normally and sometimes frustratingly takes his time to give new players many minutes, in fact he rarely starts them so they can adjust to the team, formation, pace of the league etc . The fact he has started Torp ahead of Allen, Eccles, Kelly, Lats should tell you quite a lot about the impression he has made on the manager.
Torp also nearly scored another great goal where the keeper only just managed to get a slight touch to tip it over when the ref gave a goal kick. My lad did a slow motion then paused it as the keeper touched it. The ball then was level with the crossbar and dipping.
Ā 

mrtrench

I just want a forward who looks like heā€™s in control of the ball and can compete physically with centre backs. Itā€™s not that much to ask.

Add 'composure in front of goal' to that and I'm happy too.
Ā 

Sick Boy

Should have brought Lati and Eccles at 1-0 up to shore up the midfield and slow the game down. Might have won us the game had we managed it better. Was very naive of us to let them back in it.

Bin off Simms, Allen, Godden, Kelly, Moore, JDS this summer and get reinforcements instead. Heard Luton want to sign Sheaf for 8M whoā€™s missed a fair chunk of games through injury. If we can get 8-10M for Sheaf it might be worth exploring. It might allow us to offer a max deal for COH if heā€™s willing to re-sign. Otherwise thatā€™s another hole to fill.
If Sheaf is deemed to have missed a fair chunk of games, we should consider getting rid of 90% of the squad.
Ā 
Last edited:

eastwoodsdustman

Collins 6
Bidwell 5 never seemed to complete a pass
MVE 6 struggled a bit with their overlap but got forward 2nd half
Thomas 6 ok
Kitching 5 struggled against Sargeant
Allen 7 did well and held up a lot of counter attacks when we had lost possession
Torp 7.5 good with and without the ball
Sakamoto 6.5 had the shit kicked out of him but kept going
Wright 5.5 lacked any anticipation and composure
Simms 5 see above but a bit worse
Oā€™hare 7.5 MOTM worked well despite some roughing up and decent goal.

subs

Palmer 7 put them on the back foot
Eccles 7 defended and used the ball well
JDS 6 went on to push us up and did a bit
Binks 6 did ok
Godden not on long enough
Ā 

eastwoodsdustman

A few observations from yesterday

1. their fans are a really weird bunch. It Looked like a come dressed as catweasel or billy day cyrus day.

2. they were a dirty bunch. Loads of times they left their foot in after the ball was plyed and the ref missed it.

3. i thought Sargeant bullied Kitching a bit and he did struggle against him.

4. how was their 7 not booked for the 3 fouls in the first half?

5. The ref Ref was inconsistent playing advantage when there wasnt one and stopping play when there was. Should have dishes out a couple of more bookings to them and a couple of their early challenges on Saka were borderline violent conduct.
Ā 

fernandopartridge

A few observations from yesterday

1. their fans are a really weird bunch. It Looked like a come dressed as catweasel or billy day cyrus day.

2. they were a dirty bunch. Loads of times they left their foot in after the ball was plyed and the ref missed it.

3. i thought Sargeant bullied Kitching a bit and he did struggle against him.

4. how was their 7 not booked for the 3 fouls in the first half?

5. The ref Ref was inconsistent playing advantage when there wasnt one and stopping play when there was. Should have dishes out a couple of more bookings to them and a couple of their early challenges on Saka were borderline violent conduct.
at point 1

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Ā 

Jamesimus

Yeah I donā€™t see a workmanlike player such as Lee Carsley like @Hobo suggested, but granted Iā€™ve only seen him for one game. Looks far less limited than Carsley was.

Looks like he can pick a pass and play out of small spaces really well. Looks strong and athletic but not particularly quick (match fitness?). Skillful and likes to turn in midfield and stride forwards.

Seems to like to occupy forward spaces quite a way in front of the ball when we have possession, which I think left us a bit exposed if we misplaced a pass, but got back and made one awesome tackle. I donā€™t think heā€™s particularly defensive minded from first look though.

Also, appears as though he wears ā€œshooting bootsā€
Ā 

mrtrench

Can you think of a time when poor performers have come good? I canā€™t see why selling players for a loss is going to help the club.

iis Wright being played as a striker?
Simms WIP
Godden. I have to say, heā€™s the one whoā€˜s disappointed in the last 3 months. Not because heā€™s useless, but because heā€˜s just not scoring Or assisting with goals.

But

Yep, last week I had the same opinion. But we are now well over half way through the season and I flipped yesterday. Wright > Simms > Godden but have given up now with all three.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah I donā€™t see a workmanlike player such as Lee Carsley like @Hobo suggested, but granted Iā€™ve only seen him for one game. Looks far less limited than Carsley was.

Looks like he can pick a pass and play out of small spaces really well. Looks strong and athletic but not particularly quick (match fitness?). Skillful and likes to turn in midfield and stride forwards.

Seems to like to occupy forward spaces quite a way in front of the ball when we have possession, which I think left us a bit exposed if we misplaced a pass, but got back and made one awesome tackle. I donā€™t think heā€™s particularly defensive minded from first look though.

He did some cracking defensive work a number of times but struggled sometimes with the pace of the game which is fine for someone behind in fitness. He looks like heā€™ll be exactly what we need as a more dynamic central midfield option.

Great shot on him too
Ā 

Jamesimus

He did some cracking defensive work a number of times but struggled sometimes with the pace of the game which is fine for someone behind in fitness. He looks like heā€™ll be exactly what we need as a more dynamic central midfield option.

Great shot on him too

Yeah I think the pace is maybe why he looked to me like he was trying to play in more of a forward / attacking role - just struggling to get back haha! You can tell just by his touch and control that he has fantastic ability and looks composed on the ball.
Ā 

Sky Blue Pete

Great shot on him too
He did what sheaf has removed from his game. Only negative for me on torp

He dives in on the edge of their box or in their half and they break

his touch is class in tight spots
His shot was so close and he was gutted at hitting it over by an inch
Eccles is good torp is gonna be much better
Ā 

Hobo

Perhaps I saw Lee Carsley differently to you. He was a very good passer of the ball. Let's not forget he went on to be part of a very good Everton midfield. Eustace achieved similar at Watford.

I don't see either of those comparisons as in any way derogatory.
Ā 

stupot07

Yeah he's definitely classy, and got more to his game than Carsley and Eustace (who were both brilliant at what they did), especially going forward.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Ā 

Jamesimus

Perhaps I saw Lee Carsley differently to you. He was a very good passer of the ball. Let's not forget he went on to be part of a very good Everton midfield. Eustace achieved similar at Watford.

I don't see either of those comparisons as in any way derogatory.

Maybe! I saw him as a bit of a tough tackler / bully but who could also ping a long pass. But I havenā€™t got the best memory and itā€™s been a while! I remember thinking he was a decent player for us without being fancy.
Ā 

Jamesimus

I think for me (based on one game so feel free to call me out!) I see more of a Gary MacAllister in Torp. Thatā€™s my best comparison, I have nothing left to give!
Ā 

Hobo

Maybe! I saw him as a bit of a tough tackler / bully but who could also ping a long pass. But I havenā€™t got the best memory and itā€™s been a while! I remember thinking he was a decent player for us without being fancy.

He was very much a meat and potatoes player. But could pick a pass and his decision making was very good. Kept it simple but effective.
Ā 

Hobo

I think for me (based on one game so feel free to call me out!) I see more of a Gary MacAllister in Torp. Thatā€™s my best comparison, I have nothing left to give!

If Torp turns out to be a McAllister, or a Dean Emerson or a fit Stuart Robson we will have bagged a bargain.
Ā 

Legia Sky Blue

Yeah I think the pace is maybe why he looked to me like he was trying to play in more of a forward / attacking role - just struggling to get back haha! You can tell just by his touch and control that he has fantastic ability and looks composed on the ball.

First half he did really well to get back and challenge Seargeant when it looked like he had worked himself a free shot at goal.
Ā 

Jamesimus

First half he did really well to get back and challenge Seargeant when it looked like he had worked himself a free shot at goal.
Iā€™m not saying he didnā€™t track back at all, just sometimes appeared to be caught playing on the front foot and Norwich would counter leaving us a little exposed. But probably more match sharpness and getting used to how we play and the pace more than anything. I donā€™t think heā€™s a ā€œdefensiveā€ midfielder though despite that awesome tackle he put in.
Ā 

Hobo

Iā€™m not saying he didnā€™t track back at all, just sometimes appeared to be caught playing on the front foot and Norwich would counter leaving us a little exposed. But probably more match sharpness and getting used to how we play and the pace more than anything. I donā€™t think heā€™s a ā€œdefensiveā€ midfielder though despite that awesome tackle he put in.

Kitching got caught woefully out of position up the field in first half and didn't bust a lung to get back either.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

Kitching got caught woefully out of position up the field in first half and didn't bust a lung to get back either.
Said elsewhere in the thread, Kitching hasn't been poor but his standards have dipped since returning from suspension. Thomas has continued to improve though.
Ā 

Flying Fokker

Yep, last week I had the same opinion. But we are now well over half way through the season and I flipped yesterday. Wright > Simms > Godden but have given up now with all three.
Must admit, the one that does concern me is Godden. Iā€™m partly to blame, I didnā€™t even know he was on the pitch when he was the subā€¦. Next moment, heā€™s coming over to us before the other team mates. Which is good really.
Ā 

SkyblueTexan

If Sheaf is deemed to have missed a fair chunk of games, we should consider getting rid of 90% of the squad.
90% of the squad is new and played together for less than a season.
Ā 

Sick Boy

90% of the squad is new and played together for less than a season.
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter
Ā 

SkyblueTexan

Call me a doom and gloom merchant/bedwetter etc. That's fine. But if we have genuine aspirations of getting promoted from this division, we really need to beat teams around us like we did in League 1. Outside of Leicester who are headed for the autos we have not beaten anyone in the top 6 and have only beaten Sunderland out of the top 10. If you extend that further to the top 14, we have only beaten Boro. We've collected only 16 points out of a possible 51 points from these teams. Also historically we've been unable to beat teams like Norwich, Swansea, Preston every single season. Things like this wear on you psychologically. Also we have not kept any clean sheets in 2024 (albeit we're only a month in) which is a little concerning as we are starting to leak goals. The loss of Sheaf and Kitching doesn't obviously help matters for our thin squad. Making the playoffs after a slow start would be a great achievement, but we still have to upgrade the team in several areas to push on for promotion next season.
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread