Match Thread Norwich game night (3 Viewers)

Frostie

His thinking...‘I need a tough tackling, no nonsense LWB...good job I have Shippers up my sleeve’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think he did ok on Saturday, made one decent block/tackle & used it well but 3-0 down with 10mins to go vs Cardiff is very different to a full 90 vs the league leaders.

My main worry is his lack of athleticism, wing-back is the most physically demanding role you can play & I'm not sure he's up to the demands of it.

Otis

Shipley used to be a left back, so I guess it makes sense if Robins wants to keep Dacosta on the right.

Frostie

Shipley used to be a left back, so I guess it makes sense if Robins wants to keep Dacosta on the right.

I'm sure the plan would have been to have Dacosta on the left but Dabo's injury scuppered that unless Pask plays.

Covkid1968#

Bizarrely feeling very confident of a win.... I’ve no idea why but everything seems great since eating those mushrooms I foraged for my morning fry up.

runner

Suspect a defeat ... with the defence looking weak and the attack virtually non existent ... a draw is the best we can hope for really ... let's hope we get a draw out of the next two games, 2 points would be an excellent return ... but I'm sceptical as to whether we will achieve that ... point most likely at best from the two games.

AOM

Hoping Dacosta can play on the left.
Would rest O'Hare for later in the second half.
Keeping Marosi in, but he needs to prove he's worth playing ahead of Wilson

Marosi
Pask Rose McFadzean Ostigard Dacosta
Allen James
Hamer
Walker Gyokeres

stupot07

--------------------Wilson
--------rose----mcfadz---otsi
Da Costa---james--hamer--Shipley
---‐---------------o'hare
--------------walker-Biamou

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Legia Sky Blue

It certainly looks probable that Shipley will start as LWB but given the stamina and physical attributes needed for that role I would expect him to be out on his feet by half time, so we definitely need a back up plan. For the sake of the balance of the team I would rather not see Da Costa moved there, but rather include Newton on the bench and bring him on if needed. Not ideal, as given that MR has brought Reid it suggests he doesn't rate Newton that highly, but I see it as the least worse option available to us.

mark82

It certainly looks probable that Shipley will start as LWB but given the stamina and physical attributes needed for that role I would expect him to be out on his feet by half time, so we definitely need a back up plan. For the sake of the balance of the team I would rather not see Da Costa moved there, but rather include Newton on the bench and bring him on if needed. Not ideal, as given that MR has brought Reid it suggests he doesn't rate Newton that highly, but I see it as the least worse option available to us.

Just because we've brought a second LWB into the club doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't see a future for Newton, who isn't long back from injury. It's a position we're light at within the club and we now have 2 development prospects. Both could make it or neither could make it.

fernandopartridge

Just because we've brought a second LWB into the club doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't see a future for Newton, who isn't long back from injury. It's a position we're light at within the club and we now have 2 development prospects. Both could make it or neither could make it.

is Reid injured?

fernandopartridge

Can't see us getting anything here, especially without a recognised left back (great squad planning that).

Well, Giles was recalled. Reid was signed and then injured. Things happen, you can't have 3 players for every position. Norwich had no strikers when we played them earlier this season. I doubt their fans were screaming about "great squad planning".

johnwillomagic

I'm amazed so many have us down to play wingbacks that formation completely plays into Norwich's hands we will be destroyed.
Can't believe MR will be as foolish to play wing backs and play somewhere there who is a square peg in a round hole.

A 4-3-3 compact formation makes sense to me with Hamer, James & Sheaf the midfield 3 to try to combat Norwich's 3 behind Pukki.

I expect Osti to move right Fadz to come in for Hyam and DaCosta to play left back.

shepardo01

I'm amazed so many have us down to play wingbacks that formation completely plays into Norwich's hands we will be destroyed.
Can't believe MR will be as foolish to play wing backs and play somewhere there who is a square peg in a round hole.

A 4-3-3 compact formation makes sense to me with Hamer, James & Sheaf the midfield 3 to try to combat Norwich's 3 behind Pukki.

I expect Osti to move right Fadz to come in for Hyam and DaCosta to play left back.
Playing DaCosta at left back would pretty much nullify his natural attacking threat.
Likes to overlap and his dangerous balls into the box are mostly first time balls whipped in with his right foot.
He would not be able to do this anywhere near as effectively on the left.

Worryingly, it looks, if he is going with a 5, that the rather un-athletic Shipley will fill in on the left.

shepardo01

.....he's got players available that could field a very defensive minded four;
Hyam - Fadz,Rose - Ostigaard

Could it be a possibility that he then plays,

Shipley - James, Hamer - DaCosta
????

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Anything other than a defeat I'll be delighted with. At the moment even a close game and a narrow defeat would probably exceed my expectations.

No idea what to do with the LWB situation. Like others I think this could be a game to go more proper full-backs, but we've got no proper LB and Dacosta looks much better going forward than defending. ironically would have been a game Mason might've suited.

Looks like MR is looking at Shipley on the left, but given his reluctance to get stuck in, quickness to tire and poor overall performances even in his favoured position I can only see that going badly and he'd be hooked at HT-60mins (well, by a manager that was totally sub averse anyway)

Other option would be Dacosta on the left, Pask in on the right. Again far from ideal but I think even if Shipley starts this will happen at some point.

Whatever we do, Norwich will be attacking our flanks relentlessly.

Up front I'd love to bring Walker in but if there's even a slight doubt about him don't risk him. Save him for games we've got a much higher chance of winning. But if he is fit happily give him the minutes and depending on how the games going bring him off later on. Partner with Max or Gyo? I'm tempted to say Gyo just to have a look at how they do.

Also tempting to change the keeper as Marosi hasn't exactly covered himself with glory since his return and Wilson didn't do much wrong until he caught Covid. Think I'll give him this game to get himself back in the swing of things.

Might also bring Fadz in for Hyam to give him a rest and add a bit more leadership but at same time Norwich are likely to be able to make more of his deficiencies. So again maybe leave it one more game.

Marosi
Pask Rose Osti Hyam Dacosta
Hamer James Allen
O'Hare
Walker* Gyo​

Wilson, Fadz. Newton/Rowe, Shipley, Sheaf/Eccles, Jobello, Tavares/Bapaga, Baka, Max*

Reactions: AOM

Frostie

Interested to know why you think that?

Last time we changed from a 4 at the back from the previous couple of games to wing-backs specifically for the Norwich game & successfully got a well deserved point before reverting to a back 4 for the following game.

stupot07

Not having a pop, in wingbacks we would just play Shipley out of position. In your back four you're playing ostigard and Da Costa out of position. Much better to make one change.

I would worry about McFadzean pace in a central 2.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Otis

The SSN reporter on Saturday was saying the St Andrews pitch was awful, so it's going to be no better on Wednesday is it. It should prove to be a bit of a leveller. Could be there isn't too much good football to be played perhaps.

skybluesam66

Well, Giles was recalled. Reid was signed and then injured. Things happen, you can't have 3 players for every position. Norwich had no strikers when we played them earlier this season. I doubt their fans were screaming about "great squad planning".
I take it you didnt look at their forums then!!
Also, no Strikers - they certainly would have had somebody as good as Biamou or Baka - so its all relative

johnwillomagic

DaCosta had played left side previously and Osti also has played as a right back - think with our injuries the sold back four far better than playing wing backs with Shipley......

I think DaCosta can defend and defended well when needed against Watford.....Pukki is not the quickest Fadz and Rose will be fine there it will be can our midfield 3 of James/Hamer/Sheaf nulify the dangers of Buendia & Cantwell.

Not as bothered about losing a bit of attacking from full backs for this game think our best chance is soaking up some pressure and hitting on the break with Gyo, O'Hare and Walker in the front three who can all do that particularly Walker and COH if they over commit chasing the win.

We had some decent results playing four at back and were much more solid defensively......As for Norwich away they were missing so many on that day that I don't massively count that as being relevant for this game - even with that one they cut us open with our wing backs and should have added a second before we poached the late equaliser - interestingly though MR changed things from bench drastically that day to get a result and has never done it since....

Bugsy

Has any mentioned this games on the red button .. PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread