No ambition. (1 Viewer)

oldfiver

Genuinely can’t believe how many people are saying we have no chance at making the play-offs. Win our games in hand, home against Luton and away to a shit Cardiff team, and we’re literally in them. If we’ve got no chance of making the play-offs from this position then why are we even fucking bothering? If anything, given how weak the league is this, this could be the best chance of making them we’re going to have for years.

We are only here because of the great start to the season. What has changed such it cannot continue - despite some new players already here?

better days

Fans get swept up in the sky sports manufactured deadline day yesterday I’m afraid. Had we brought in another attacker the window would have been great. I think this window has been much more productive than last January
The biggest thing as Robins said at the beginning of Jan was to keep our best players
We did that and I suspect some of the funds saved on guys now out on loan will go towards extending and improving Hamer's contract

SSB

It’s no real difference to the league 1 season when we ended up dragging in deadwood as they wouldn’t spend money. A quality centre half and a better version of Cole and we’d have been in the race then

Their mentality might not be different but there's no getting around the fact that promotion is worth £180m to newly promoted clubs.

Given now is the probably best chance since they probably took over at achieving promotion to the PL, it's odd how entrenched their position is.

Grendel

The biggest thing as Robins said at the beginning of Jan was to keep our best players
We did that and I suspect some of the funds saved on guys now out on loan will go towards extending and improving Hamer's contract

Having to loan out players to up a contract by a few percent isn’t exactly a positive

Skyblueweeman

In the end in a rare moment of transparency Fisher was correct when he said the financial model we operate within is not set up to compete in the championship

When did he say that - genuine question? I seem to think it was a few seasons ago. If so, our model might have changed?

Grendel

When did he say that - genuine question? I seem to think it was a few seasons ago. If so, our model might have changed?

It hasn’t changed at all - it’s been the same since relegation to league 1

Skyblueweeman

Their mentality might not be different but there's no getting around the fact that promotion is worth £180m to newly promoted clubs.

Given now is the probably best chance since they probably took over at achieving promotion to the PL, it's odd how entrenched their position is.

But how do we know that next season won't afford us an even better opportunity? I don't buy the mentality that we're going to miss the boat this season if we miss out on the playoffs.

Grendel

Did you want to keep any of the loanees G?

thats not the point - you are painting a picture of a cash strapped club Living hand to mouth

SBT

Did you want to keep any of the loanees G?

I would have wanted to keep Walker.

But the implication is that we can't afford to even renew the contracts of our existing players, let alone sign new ones, unless we have a squad with zero deadwood across the entire first team. Is that a sustainable or realistic way to run a club?

Skyblueweeman

Where’s the money going to come from next season to finish the squad off?

If Walker, Hilßner and Dacosta all fuck up their loans do we have to sell Bidwell?

New lot of TV money, new sponsorship, potential investment from wealthy individuals?

Edit - maybe outgoing transfers as well? We've never been blessed with lots of cash but have signed players for money. Why would that stop now?

SSB

But how do we know that next season won't afford us an even better opportunity? I don't buy the mentality that we're going to miss the boat this season if we miss out on the playoffs.

Because the quality of the league this season is utter crap and clubs are still feeling the effects of COVID on their budgets. You could see that in the summer window where barely anything was spent by Championship clubs.

What are we going to do next season when clubs look to spend again and we're still in the same position fumbling over pennies and pounds?

Skyblueweeman

Because the quality of the league this season is utter crap and clubs are still feeling the effects of COVID on their budgets. You could see that in the summer window where barely anything was spent by Championship clubs.

What are we going to do next season when clubs look to spend again and we're still in the same position fumbling over pennies and pounds?

Yeah but how do you know clubs are going to look to spend again? How do you know we're not in a similar position to those other clubs?

Are we not still feeling the effects of Covid?

And saying the league is crap - we're going to lose 6 teams who don't deserve to be here at the end of the season and replace them with 6 teams who do deserve to be here. You have no idea that the league will be stronger next season.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah but how do you know clubs are going to look to spend again? How do you know we're not in a similar position to those other clubs?

And saying the league is crap - we're going to lose 6 teams who don't deserve to be here at the end of the season and replace them with 6 teams who do deserve to be here. You have no idea that the league will be stronger next season.
What we want to get to anyway is a stage where it doesn't matter how strong the league is wrt where we expect to finish.

SSB

Because the goals and aims of Championship club owners remain the same, do anything and everything possible to achieve promotion back to the PL. Now there's more certainty with regards to COVID of course they're going to be willing to continue throwing money at chasing the dream.

We've already seen examples of that in the January window with Nottingham Forest spending a few million on players to replace injuries suffered in their last game (would've been a few million more if they succeeded with all their targets) and Bournemouth playing FIFA Career Mode.

Of course we're still feeling the effects of COVID, we will probably for years to come. The difference is we lack an owner who will bare the burnt of the losses to ensure we can still compete.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Basically, every football fan is convinced the thing you didn't do is / will be better than the thing you did.

Bugsy

Legia Sky Blue

Would have been nice to have a few additions to fill out the squad but not losing Sheaf, Hamer, O'Hare or Gyokeres still gives us a shot at the play offs. Maybe a long shot and will need luck with injuries, but we are a proper team, where the players are comfortable in their roles within the team structure, which too many newcomers could disrupt. It could yet turn out to be a good window in a strange way, with many of our rivals having to shoehorn new players in during a packed February schedule, when we really need to have a good month. Time will tell!

Skyblueweeman

Because the goals and aims of Championship club owners remain the same, do anything and everything possible to achieve promotion back to the PL. Now there's more certainty with regards to COVID of course they're going to be willing to continue throwing money at chasing the dream.

We've already seen examples of that in the January window with Nottingham Forest spending a few million on players to replace injuries suffered in their last game (would've been a few million more if they succeeded with all their targets) and Bournemouth playing FIFA Career Mode.

Of course we're still feeling the effects of COVID, we will probably for years to come. The difference is we lack an owner who will bare the burnt of the losses to ensure we can still compete.

There's a fine balance, isn't there though? How many times have we commented on teams chucking millions at a shot going up and then not making. A risk strategy that a club in our position cannot employ.

And the two clubs you've picked - one who've been an established Championship side for years and a Yo Yo club who have millions of pounds to use from parachute payments. They also received £80m last season from player sales without any expenditure.

SSB

There's a fine balance, isn't there though? How many times have we commented on teams chucking millions at a shot going up and then not making. A risk strategy that a club in our position cannot employ.

And the two clubs you've picked - one who've been an established Championship side for years and a Yo Yo club who have millions of pounds to use from parachute payments. They also received £80m last season from player sales without any expenditure.

Jesus wept no one is asking SISU to chuck millions into the club. They wouldn't anyway, nor would I particularly want them to. It's never been about that.

It doesn't matter who I pick. Want a few more to prove my point? Birmingham have spent money both on loan fees and permanent transfers, Blackburn, Blackpool, Hull, Middlesbrough, Swansea, West Brom, Peterborough have all spent as well.

Only £40m was spent last summer in the Championship (half of which was by Fulham), do you honestly believe next summer's spend will be even close to that in the next window?

Last edited:

SSB

Would you rather not loan out the deadwood and lose players like Hamer and O'Hare?

We wouldn't have made a great deal of savings on the loan players and we didn't sell O'Hare or Hamer because there wasn't definitive interest. It wasn't an either or, if bids were submitted at least one of the two probably wouldn't be here.

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

Jesus wept no one is asking SISU to chuck millions into the club. They wouldn't anyway, nor would I particularly want them to. It's never been about that.

Then what are you wanting them to do...I'm not sure what your point is? I wanted them to bring in more attacking options - they didn't. Am I upset? A little. Is it the end of the world and means we won't get the play offs this season and are going to struggle next season? No.

Skyblueweeman

We wouldn't have made a great deal of savings on the loan players and we didn't sell O'Hare or Hamer because there wasn't definitive interest. It wasn't an either or, if bids were submitted at least one of the two probably wouldn't be here.

So who did we receive 'substantial' bids for?

SSB

Then what are you wanting them to do...I'm not sure what your point is? I wanted them to bring in more attacking options - they didn't. Am I upset? A little. Is it the end of the world and means we won't get the play offs this season and are going to struggle next season? No.

What's the point in having this discussion if you don't even remember what you're arguing about?

You asked: "But how do we know that next season won't afford us an even better opportunity?"

I've explained why.

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

What's the point in having this discussion if you don't even remembering what you're arguing about?

You asked: "But how do we know that next season won't afford us an even better opportunity?"

I've explained why.

No you didn't explain why. In response to my question you've quoted, you said:

Because the quality of the league this season is utter crap - And how do you know it'll be better next season?

and clubs are still feeling the effects of COVID on their budgets. - And that's no different to us.

You could see that in the summer window where barely anything was spent by Championship clubs. - So everyone was in the same position as us then?

What are we going to do next season when clubs look to spend again and we're still in the same position fumbling over pennies and pounds? Do what we've done over the last few years. Bat above our spending average. Seems to have worked ok so far.

Skybluebeliever

We have only got rid of one player of the payroll in this window Jobello and brought in one player on a contract Bidwell on a 3 and half year contract

Pask
Hilssner
De costa
Walker
Drysdale

We still have a some kind of commitment to their wages to the end of this season and they could all return for next season apart from Pask who’s contract is up , hopefully this is not the case and they find new clubs to free up their wages but this is not guaranteed
We have four players who’s contracts expire this season Fadz and Eccles will be extended leaving Shipley and Jones to be decided
We have not sold a player for a substantial fee for two years , I think in our budget we aim to sell one a year for a couple of years we were able to sell McNulty,Chaplin and McCallum and still received fees for Maddison and Wilson which had brought well needed income allowing reinvestment of these funds
On the back of this we have signed Moore, Sheaf and Waghorne who have been on really contracts at previous clubs and have probably took pay cuts and even taking that in account are in our top earners

We have secured majority of our squad on longer term contracts , which has increased our budget , if a player is on a 3 year contract for example they normally get automatic pay rise each year ( if we have not been relegated that is )
With returning to the CBS the club had a lot of costs and as is normal with most clubs would borrow against the future season ticket income and so only get the income once that game has been played

I can see why the club have not perhaps brought in another player or players in this window, with the success of the squad at the moment and perhaps taking some of the points above we could still have a very good season

Users who are viewing this thread