No ambition. (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

If that's a wind up I'm embarrassed for you because its shite.
If that's a serious post Im embarrassed for you because you'll happily except a transfer window that poor.
Either way, embarrassing.

Clint - I usually agree with you, but - tone aside, I agree with a lot of his points (although we can't always improve after Xmas' !

clint van damme

Clint - I usually agree with you, but - tone aside, I agree with a lot of his points (although we can't always improve after Xmas' !

In keeping with this boards usual lack of nuance some people (not you) seem to think anyone disappointed with the window is advocating an unaffordable Bournemouth like spending spree, I've not seen one person say that.

But for me clearing out a bit of deadwood and holding onto our saleable assets is treading water.

This year is a really good opportunity to get to the playoffs, I think it will be a lot more difficult next season.

I appreciate a football club can't always be about forward momentum but I believe Robins and Viveash to be our biggest assets and I dont think they'll stick around much longer with this level of ambition, hopefully I'm wrong.

tisza

Not sure clubs have been that busy. Lots of new loanees into replace others returning to their parent clubs.
A couple of the "wealthier" clubs spent some money.
Need to put it into context that a lot of clubs did little business in the summer due to COVID finances and also not knowing what their income streams would be for the 1st half of the season.
Just outside the top 6 or 20 points clear of relegation zone (for the naturally pessisimistic). ATM it's another step forward under current regime.

stevefloyd

Fans of at least half the 92 clubs are probably saying something similar, their club has no ambition
Then you have those of clubs like Everton cheering while their club spends a preposterous amount on a player Spurs are relieved to see the back of
Football really is a madhouse
I agree 40 million for Ali thats just crazy. If we had brought someone in 1 player wouldn't have been enough, it would have helped this season but not all of a sudden propel us to the possibility of promotion and onto the premier league for us to get absolutely stuffed every week and in the long term do us damage and undo all of Robins good work. It would take a major investment to get us to try and compete with the 'big boys' and imagine the discontent of probable 5's and 6's almost every week the amount of fans we would lose ...nope we are not ready for that just yet as frustrating as it is...it is what it is and until Shitsu have got us to a position where they can make us attractive to a new owner and obviously make a good profit from us we are stuck with them so lets just get on with supporting our club every week, having a little moan now and again and actually see us competing with the bigger spenders in this division with our bunch of misfits that are actually doing us pretty proud really because as much as I moan and groan about not winning every game in over 50 years its one of the best times of supporting Coventry City in terms of the football being played bar a few times in the past

shmmeee

Not sure clubs have been that busy. Lots of new loanees into replace others returning to their parent clubs.
Need to put it into context that a lot of clubs did little business in the summer due to COVID finances and also not knowing what their income streams would be for the 1st half of the season.
Just outside the top 6 or 20 points clear of relegation zone (for the naturally pessisimistic). ATM it's another step forward under current regime.

We’ve basically wasted a time when all our stars are aligned. Market is depressed, team on form, fans on a high, and we’ve cut the playing budget. It’s nuts.

shmmeee

I agree 40 million for Ali thats just crazy. If we had brought someone in 1 player wouldn't have been enough, it would have helped this season but not all of a sudden propel us to the possibility of promotion and onto the premier league for us to get absolutely stuffed every week and in the long term do us damage and undo all of Robins good work. It would take a major investment to get us to try and compete with the 'big boys' and imagine the discontent of probable 5's and 6's almost every week the amount of fans we would lose ...nope we are not ready for that just yet as frustrating as it is...it is what it is and until Shitsu have got us to a position where they can make us attractive to a new owner and obviously make a good profit from us we are stuck with them so lets just get on with supporting our club every week, having a little moan now and again and actually see us competing with the bigger spenders in this division with our bunch of misfits that are actually doing us pretty proud really because as much as I moan and groan about not winning every game in over 50 years its one of the best times of supporting Coventry City in terms of the football being played bar a few times in the past

This is exactly what people said in L1. The idea you turn down promotion cos you aren’t ready is for the birds.

stevefloyd

This is exactly what people said in L1. The idea you turn down promotion cos you aren’t ready is for the birds.
Promotion from L1 is infinitely different to promotion to the prem which definitely needs major investment. Brentford spent £33 million in their first year in the prem having spent £5m on Ivan Toney in the previous season, Norwich spent £57 million although they did recoup £34 on Buendia, I cannot see our mob spending like that unless they bleed us dry with interest payments

SSB

17 out of 24 clubs brought in more than one player during the window? You can't blame that on a mass recall of loans.

shmmeee

Promotion from L1 is infinitely different to promotion to the prem which definitely needs major investment. Brentford spent £33 million in their first year in the prem having spent £5m on Ivan Toney in the previous season, Norwich spent £57 million although they did recoup £34 on Buendia, I cannot see our mob spending like that unless they bleed us dry with interest payments

Regardless it would still be beneficial.

Hobo

Is this a record of how one club have sent out so many players on loan/get rid off,in a transfer window.1 player in tells you the club have already settled for mid table this season.I agree with all the players being loaned out,but surely they could have brought 1 player in on loan,just to boost the rest off the squad.

Perhaps they looked at what was on offer and nothing was quiet the right fit?

Bugsy

First January under Robins we’ve only brought in one player and no loans.

Progress, all our players and contract improvements, but would've just been nice to add at least one AM to the team...PUSB

Reactions: vow

SheafIsGod

Is it fuck
Of course it is. We’ve proven we’re one of the better footballing sides in the division. We’ve been clearly the better team in most of the games we’ve played. The standard of the Championship this year is probably the worst it’s ever been.

ms639

Yes they are paying 70% to 80 %, Walker was one of our highest paid players last season coming in from a championship club

What gives you ‘inside’ knowledge? Just a caveat this isn’t at all a sarcastic or loaded ask. Genuinely wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo

Robins literally said repeatedly hed like to bring someone in but doesn’t have any money.

Thats why they weren't the right fit then.

Sky Blue Harry H

We’ve basically wasted a time when all our stars are aligned. Market is depressed, team on form, fans on a high, and we’ve cut the playing budget. It’s nuts.

You're assuming the player (who almost certainly would have been a loan) was available, that they would have made the difference to us getting into the top 6. Stoke, Forest (two obvious ones) have paid out loads to acquire players and yet at least one (probably both) are going to miss out on the top 6. Come this summer when we are trying to strengthen, we will be in a better position to do so financially, and we may well perform for the rest of this season just as well without any additions (as the current players know the system). In summary, we could have spent £2-3m on players that weren't ideal (more availability when contracts expire in the summer) and ended up just where we will anyway.

SBAndy

You're assuming the player (who almost certainly would have been a loan) was available, that they would have made the difference to us getting into the top 6. Stoke, Forest (two obvious ones) have paid out loads to acquire players and yet at least one (probably both) are going to miss out on the top 6. Come this summer when we are trying to strengthen, we will be in a better position to do so financially, and we may well perform for the rest of this season just as well without any additions (as the current players know the system). In summary, we could have spent £2-3m on players that weren't ideal (more availability when contracts expire in the summer) and ended up just where we will anyway.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting spending £2-3m on players. One solitary loan AM and I’d imagine most would be happy.

covboy1987

What’s wrong with settling for Mid table bearing in mind where we’ve come from and been for past few years?
I get it for now mid table thoughts after what we have been through for to many years - But let’s face it what we have been though had nothing to do with the fans but strictly down to the custodians of the club - Many of us remember the fact that Coventry city were only a handful of clubs in the top tier along with the likes of Arsenal & Everton that could boast such a long record of being in the top tier of English football 34 consecutive years between 1967 and 2001 - why should we not and demand more

shmmeee

I don’t understand a) why suddenly any loans cost £3m and b) what’s different about this season when we’ve got loans in literally every January Robins has been here.

The levels of cope in this thread are off the charts. “Maybe Robins didn’t want anyone despite saying he did” “Maybe we’d have had to spend eleventy billion to bring a kid in from the Prem” “Maybe there are no other players and we own them all”

Maybe. Or maybe the simplest answer, the one that lines up with what Robins and Boddy have been saying, is that we don’t have the funds to put a top half squad together when we’ve got bumper crowds and wages and fees are suppressed. Which to me is worrying.

Mcbean

Win next Tuesday and it will all be forgotten - win Saturday and Tuesday and the double is on !

fernandopartridge

Using the "where we came from" logic, I presume we'd all be content throwing away leads as at least we were winning the game at one point.

stevefloyd

I get it for now mid table thoughts after what we have been through for to many years - But let’s face it what we have been though had nothing to do with the fans but strictly down to the custodians of the club - Many of us remember the fact that Coventry city were only a handful of clubs in the top tier along with the likes of Arsenal & Everton that could boast such a long record of being in the top tier of English football 34 consecutive years between 1967 and 2001 - why should we not and demand more
It was not 34 comfortable years though, the number of times we survived ...Just... was incredible but yes we did have or should I say we have a proud 34 year record

Terry Gibson's perm

For players going out it was an amazing window to get some so much of our deadwood out even it’s only for a few months.

Incoming a bit underwhelmed but think Bidwell will do ok.

oldfiver

I don’t understand a) why suddenly any loans cost £3m and b) what’s different about this season when we’ve got loans in literally every January Robins has been here.

The levels of cope in this thread are off the charts. “Maybe Robins didn’t want anyone despite saying he did” “Maybe we’d have had to spend eleventy billion to bring a kid in from the Prem” “Maybe there are no other players and we own them all”

Maybe. Or maybe the simplest answer, the one that lines up with what Robins and Boddy have been saying, is that we don’t have the funds to put a top half squad together when we’ve got bumper crowds and wages and fees are suppressed. Which to me is worrying.

Every sports team coach wants to keep spending for "something better" - it's in their psyche
MR brought in Walker on that basis so why is he now somewhere else? Take in the transfer fee plus wages for past x months for 2 goals it could be said money lost

stevefloyd

I guess our main problem lies with not having the stability of a permanent place to play in the last few years. By being back at our 'home' ground for the time being allows us to catch up with whatever debts we incurred at the time so this season its a consolodating one, by not spending so much this season especially in the jan window, I hope, it gives us a bit extra to compete in the summer for our 1st choice targets.

shmmeee

Every sports team coach wants to keep spending for "something better" - it's in their psyche
MR brought in Walker on that basis so why is he now somewhere else? Take in the transfer fee plus wages for past x months for 2 goals it could be said money lost

So your argument is to never sign anyone because they aren’t guaranteed success?

All I want is some reassurance from your mates at the club that there’s an actual plan to match Joys stated ambition for the club. Because at the moment the plan seems to be find a way for Robins to live forever and keep us midtable on a shoestring.

The Philosopher

Walker was a fairly calculated risk.

His performance and stats at L1 are genuinely excellent.

If he goes on a mad run between now and summer (perfectly plausible, look at McGoldrick (or McGoalDrougt as he was known) when he dropped Champ to L1then he’s an asset again who we could at least sell on.

I never ever see the sense in signing 31/32 year old strikers (CM’s and GK’s possibly) who rely on physicality on big money and long contracts. Beavon, classic. Tudgay. Now Waghorn. We won’t get a fee no matter what.

Any before any virtue signalling white nights come spouting about “you’re being mean about Waghorn”, I’m looking at it as a cold financial fact.

Walker was a sensible gamble.

Waghorn wasn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread