Nintendo Switch (2 Viewers)

Ian1779

Hi

I’ve just got my 8 year old a switch for his upcoming 9th birthday. After some ideas for suitable games that are relatively age appropriate.

I’m wondering about something like:

Mario Kart
Zelda
One of the mario world style games (not sure which is best though)

Any suggestions or advice would be great!

Thanks

Otis

Hi

I’ve just got my 8 year old a switch for his upcoming 9th birthday. After some ideas for suitable games that are relatively age appropriate.

I’m wondering about something like:

Mario Kart
Zelda
One of the mario world style games (not sure which is best though)

Any suggestions or advice would be great!

Thanks
New Animal Crossing out on Friday. That might appeal.

My daughter used to absolutely love Splatoon too.

ajsccfc

I'd go with Zelda Link's Awakening which is a remaster of the Gameboy original and has more of a cartoony style than BOTW

maxresdefault.jpg

Mario Odyssey is amazing too, and there's also New Super Mario U which is more of the old school Mario game

Mask

Like ajsccfc said, Link's Awakening would be a better shout for a Zelda game. At 9 years old, Breath Of The Wild would be a bit too much of an undertaking I think (I struggled at 32 years old!).

Other games I'd suggest would be:
Luigi's Mansion 3
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Mario Party (if you're willing to play as well!)
Yoshi's Crafted World

Alkhen

To go against the grain my 8yr old absolutely loves Zelda Botw. He just loves exploring. Once you get over the first section which acts as a tutorial and sets up the story you can go anywhere at any time. He has gotten pretty deep in with minimal help from me. If they are youtube savvy there are tonnes of tutorials and walk throughs

I'd say his most played games are:
BOTW
Smash Bros
Minecraft
Pokemon Sword

Games he loved but finished quick were:
Mario Oddysy
Luigis Mansion
Kirby

Oh and a bargain pick up is the Scribblenuaghts game. He and his little sister love that. It's a party game but has a bunch of sandbox levels.

Lets you type in pretty much anything and it appears in the game.

Only a tenner on amazon I think

Last edited:

ajsccfc

BOTW was too much for me. While I love the idea of it, being dropped in somewhere and just left to find it all yourself will either result in one of my all-time favourites or I'll have trouble going back to it. As good as I know it is, it ended up being the latter for me.

duffer

Animal Crossing is a very gentle game that my kids like. Feels a little limited to me, but then I’m probably not the target audience!

Mario Kart is a pick up and play at any time, and in essence is endless.

Also, for free, Asphalt 9 can be downloaded. That’s a really high quality driving game, great graphics. My lad’s a couple of years younger than yours, but he likes that too.

Covstu

We have 4 player mario cart and its good fun. Going to get animal crossing as I bet the kids will love it

Ian1779

So have been playing BOTW on my sons Switch when he goes to bed - it’s a pretty epic game (and bloody huge by the looks of it) I bought him some other games and bought this for myself.

ccfc92

Just had a Switch go back to Nintendo. Screen was not coming on and the sticks on controller were sticking (mainly due to being dropped by a child over the last year), but Nintendo repaired it all FOC!

Very good customer service from them as well at every point!

One thing to be aware of, your credit card details save automatically to the Switch and there is a long way to delete them, so make sure you remove them!

Alkhen

Just had a Switch go back to Nintendo. Screen was not coming on and the sticks on controller were sticking (mainly due to being dropped by a child over the last year), but Nintendo repaired it all FOC!

Very good customer service from them as well at every point!

One thing to be aware of, your credit card details save automatically to the Switch and there is a long way to delete them, so make sure you remove them!

I've not had the consol break yet but I've had to send 3 Joy-cons back due to drift. The repairs service is great didn't even require proof of purchase which is luck as one of them was secondhand

ccfc92

I've not had the consol break yet but I've had to send 3 Joy-cons back due to drift. The repairs service is great didn't even require proof of purchase which is luck as one of them was secondhand

It would work on a TV, but the screen on the console would switch on and say Nintendo but then go black. I suspect it had been dropped though.

Jesse Carver

Animal Crossing is a very gentle game that my kids like. Feels a little limited to me, but then I’m probably not the target audience!

Mario Kart is a pick up and play at any time, and in essence is endless.

Also, for free, Asphalt 9 can be downloaded. That’s a really high quality driving game, great graphics. My lad’s a couple of years younger than yours, but he likes that too.
Are there microtransactions in Animal Crossing? My lad is desperate for a Switch, he's been playing the Animal Crossing game on the iPad but everything seems to require payments to be made which I won't do - I'm wary about getting it on a console if it's the same.

Alkhen

Are there microtransactions in Animal Crossing? My lad is desperate for a Switch, he's been playing the Animal Crossing game on the iPad but everything seems to require payments to be made which I won't do - I'm wary about getting it on a console if it's the same.

No the Switch version is great, think of it as a game to dip into most days over a year or so. they have updates most months adding new content for free. Don't think there are any micro-transactions at all.

I was sceptical if it would hold the kids attention but we have an Island that both kids and even me and the wife contribute too. its been fantastic in lockdown

Jesse Carver

No the Switch version is great, think of it as a game to dip into most days over a year or so. they have updates most months adding new content for free. Don't think there are any micro-transactions at all.

I was sceptical if it would hold the kids attention but we have an Island that both kids and even me and the wife contribute too. its been fantastic in lockdown
Great, thanks mate.

duffer

Great, thanks mate.

Yep, seconded. You don’t get asked to buy anything else once you’ve got it. We’ve had it (Animal Crossing) on the switch since March and the kids have probably just started to lose a bit of interest after playing every day. I still play it though... it’s very peaceful. :)

Covstu

My kids are proper obsessed with it, great little harmless game

ccfc92

Just set up the "repaired" Switch that we sent off to Nintendo for repair.

Pretty confident they have supplied a brand new console including new joy con controllers.

Excellent customer service!

shmmeee

Anyone got tips on cheap second hand games for this? Lots I want to pick up but not at full price: Mario Odessy, Zelda, Splatoon, Luigis Mansion.

TomRad85

Anyone got tips on cheap second hand games for this? Lots I want to pick up but not at full price: Mario Odessy, Zelda, Splatoon, Luigis Mansion.
Annoyingly, Nintendo games tend to hold their value pretty much forever. Maybe try your luck on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Annoyingly, Nintendo games tend to hold their value pretty much forever. Maybe try your luck on ebay.

Even eBay and second hand stores seem to hold their value. Best price I’ve seen Splatoon is £30 off FB MarketPlace. I thought it was just hangover from the lockdown prices but seems to be staying there.

TomRad85

Even eBay and second hand stores seem to hold their value. Best price I’ve seen Splatoon is £30 off FB MarketPlace. I thought it was just hangover from the lockdown prices but seems to be staying there.
Yep, unfortunately you could be waiting a while. All you can do is what you have been doing, randomly checking for marketplace/ebay bargains.

TomRad85

I’m half tempted to chip it (awaits cries of hypocrite from @Evo1883).

Has anyone tried?
I'm too cowardly, always assume I'll do something wrong and fuck it up completely. But if you're good at that sort of thing or know a guy then go for it.

Alkhen

Skagconverter/Skaggenerator?

bit bleak but they dont seem to have a firm pricing policy and sell game cards only so if you arent arsed then you can pick up a bargain occasionally

Users who are viewing this thread