Next season squad if we stay up... (1 Viewer)

Magwitch1

I can see McFadzean getting a contract extension he is an out and out centre half and good at it unless MR has one lined up going to be a few CBs available.

SkyBlueDom26

Keep Marosi as back up but I’d get rid of Wilson....

Also out- Shipley, Baka, Allen, sheaf, rose (if we get a good fee)

SAJ

Id go for

Jaydon Stockley - probably a fee - As the new number 9

Alex pritchard from Huddersfield as O'Hare Mould - free agent

Jamie Paterson Bristol City, similar to ohare also - free agent ( and a cov lad and fan)

One of Tom Carroll QPR / Barry Bannan Wednesday/ Henri Lansbury Bristol City/ Jon toral Blues/ Liam Walsh for centre midfield- all free agents (if as expected James doesnt return and we flog Hamer)

Feel we need to do all we canto get Ostigard

If we spend the budget wisely there are some decent players out there for free. Yes i know some will be on high wages, but if we can avoid paying a fee why not use higher wages for proven championship players?
While I think the players you have highlighted could all do a job for us, with the exception of possibly Toral and Walsh I can’t see them being on the club radar. The club has said for some time now they will look to buy young develop then move on to generate income. Toral and Walsh are the only ones that fit the club model. The rest are all well over 25 and I think Bannan is well into his 30’s.

Ccfcisparks

While I think the players you have highlighted could all do a job for us, with the exception of possibly Toral and Walsh I can’t see them being on the club radar. The club has said for some time now they will look to buy young develop then move on to generate income. Toral and Walsh are the only ones that fit the club model. The rest are all well over 25 and I think Bannan is well into his 30’s.
Patterson would be good imo

SleepyGinger

Siriki Dembele at Peterborough, attacking midfielder/ striker/ winger with a bit of pace which we are crying out for. Would probably cost a fair amount.

Il Pirata

I don't think we should go back for Sam... I might be in the minority here but I'm just not a huge fan... He can't defend to save his Life.

It bothers me, I'm sorry
Me too. He might be one of our own but I don't rate him. Not just the defending, he also likes to play the ball in the general direction of a teammate rather than actually to them, even with 10 yard passes. It really annoys me.

[GK], Marosi/Wilson

Ostigard, McFadzean, [DC], Rose, Pask
Dabo, Da Costa, [DL], Reid

Hamer, James, [MC], Kelly, [MC], Eccles
O'Hare, [AM], Bapaga

Godden, [CF], Walker, Biamou

Think we'll be hard pushed to retain Hamer, maybe even Dabo, and to sign Ostigard. Would need to sign 6 starting-quality players provided those above were all to stay. That is the natural progression of this team, it needs improvement.

fernandopartridge

Me too. He might be one of our own but I don't rate him. Not just the defending, he also likes to play the ball in the general direction of a teammate rather than actually to them, even with 10 yard passes. It really annoys me.

[GK], Marosi/Wilson

Ostigard, McFadzean, [DC], Rose, Pask
Dabo, Da Costa, [DL], Reid

Hamer, James, [MC], Kelly, [MC], Eccles
O'Hare, [AM], Bapaga

Godden, [CF], Walker, Biamou

Think we'll be hard pushed to retain Hamer, maybe even Dabo, and to sign Ostigard. Would need to sign 6 starting-quality players provided those above were all to stay. That is the natural progression of this team, it needs improvement.

Highly doubt we'll get a better left back / left wing back in the summer. He can defend, he has contributed as much going forward as Dabo (who for all his enterprise hasn't set up a goal this season or scored). God help us if Da Costa is the option.

shmmeee

Seem to remember Godden getting similar questions last year about “what does he add when not scoring?”

shmmeee

Highly doubt we'll get a better left back / left wing back in the summer. He can defend, he has contributed as much going forward as Dabo (who for all his enterprise hasn't set up a goal this season or scored). God help us if Da Costa is the option.

Dabo has been poor though. If it wasn’t for his injury/fitness I’d be saying we need a new RWB too.

What Dabo hasn’t been is responsible for about a million attacks breaking down and at least one terrible infield pass a game like McCallum. You can see glimmers of Dabos quality when him Hamer and O’Hare start doing intricate passing. McCallum just hits and hopes it everywhere. Is a very poor crosser of the ball, doesn’t take a man on, constantly leaves his man and has to dive in to recover and generally has been part of the worst bit of our team.

Fair enough he’s better at defending than Giles, but that’s not a particularly high bar. I wouldn’t have him back.

Il Pirata

Stats are often misleading. Dabo has put in a lot of good crosses that teams with better or different strikers would have taken advantage of.

Evo1883

Not starting a fight, but has he? I can’t remember many.

Well i think the team have put over around 550 crosses this season according to that stat thing Frostie put up... Be a hell of a shame if all of them were shit.. Goes back to the point of strikers etc just waiting for the ball to fall on their head.

Long story short... Dabo and Sam have put in alot of good crosses, and alot of shit ones too..

Il Pirata

Not starting a fight, but has he? I can’t remember many.
Not as many as last season, his play his shorter and we obviously have less domination in attacking areas. But last game for example he whipped in a teasing one which Biamou didn't get to.

I think he's shown that he can put a good ball in if given the chance, but he does like to dribble a lot...

Terry Gibson's perm

Let’s judge Walker after a decent pre season and hopefully no Covid, in the games I have seen him in he looks like he is a good finisher, I know he doesn’t smile or run around a lot but if he got you 15-20 goals a season you could live with it.

cc84cov

Let’s judge Walker after a decent pre season and hopefully no Covid, in the games I have seen him in he looks like he is a good finisher, I know he doesn’t smile or run around a lot but if he got you 15-20 goals a season you could live with it.
He smiles more than sheaf 😎

Frostie

Well i think the team have put over around 550 crosses this season according to that stat thing Frostie put up... Be a hell of a shame if all of them were shit.. Goes back to the point of strikers etc just waiting for the ball to fall on their head.

Long story short... Dabo and Sam have put in alot of good crosses, and alot of shit ones too..

As a team we're now up to 568 Crosses for the season but this also includes corners.
We're kind of middle of the road for crosses in the league.

If we just want to look at open play & Accuracy from the wing-backs:

Giles - 22 Accurate from 94 Crosses = 23%
McCallum - 14 Accurate from 88 Crosses = 16%
Dabo - 12 Accurate from 72 Crosses = 17%
Dacosta - 6 Accurate from 24 Crosses= 25%

As a couple of points of comparison, i.e. Full-backs/Wing-backs only:

Derby throw a lot of crosses in & have a top quality target in Kazim-Richards.
Nathan Byrne 39 Accurate from 158 Crosses = 25%

Connor Roberts at Swansea is arguably the best wing-back in the league but doesn't really have a target man type striker to aim at as Swansea use Ayew & Lowe mostly.
Connor Roberts 39 Accurate from 190 Crosses = 21%

Fwiw, I think Dabo can frequently beat his man or create space to put the ball in. I think his actual crossing is pretty indifferent if I'm honest but you do wonder if we had Godden or a more natural No.9 how we'd fare from them.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Dabo has been poor though. If it wasn’t for his injury/fitness I’d be saying we need a new RWB too.

What Dabo hasn’t been is responsible for about a million attacks breaking down and at least one terrible infield pass a game like McCallum. You can see glimmers of Dabos quality when him Hamer and O’Hare start doing intricate passing. McCallum just hits and hopes it everywhere. Is a very poor crosser of the ball, doesn’t take a man on, constantly leaves his man and has to dive in to recover and generally has been part of the worst bit of our team.

Fair enough he’s better at defending than Giles, but that’s not a particularly high bar. I wouldn’t have him back.

Agree with this. It's McCallum's debut season in the Championship so it would be unfair to berate him too much, but personally I think based on his contribution so far, his season has been average to poor.

Given the system we play, and how we play, he contributes very little to our forward play and has shown to be too negative all too often. He regularly fails to get crosses past an opposition player when running with the ball, his successful a crosses are often wayward, he lacks notable pace, he rarely takes a man on and more often than not will prefer to pass backwards than consider other options.

Agreed that his defending has also been questionable at times for all the points you mentioned as well - although the majority of our back line's has been.

I personally wouldn't want him back either.

shmmeee

If McCallum was ours and we had a better attack I might keep him on as he is developing, but we can’t afford to carry him going forward just so we’ve got someone to help out Hyam at the back. Just replace Hyam.

D

Deleted member 11652

As a team we're now up to 568 Crosses for the season but this also includes corners.
We're kind of middle of the road for crosses in the league.

If we just want to look at open play & Accuracy from the wing-backs:

Giles - 22 Accurate from 94 Crosses = 23%
McCallum - 14 Accurate from 88 Crosses = 16%
Dabo - 12 Accurate from 72 Crosses = 17%
Dacosta - 6 Accurate from 24 Crosses= 25%

As a couple of points of comparison, i.e. Full-backs/Wing-backs only:

Derby throw a lot of crosses in & have a top quality target in Kazim-Richards.
Nathan Byrne 39 Accurate from 158 Crosses = 25%

Connor Roberts at Swansea is arguably the best wing-back in the league but doesn't really have a target man type striker to aim at as Swansea use Ayew & Lowe mostly.
Connor Roberts 39 Accurate from 190 Crosses = 21%

Fwiw, I think Dabo can frequently beat his man or create space to put the ball in. I think his actual crossing is pretty indifferent if I'm honest but you do wonder if we had Godden or a more natural No.9 how we'd fare from them.

What constitutes accurate? If a ball is over hit and collected on the edge of the box by our player is that counted as accurate but a good ball whipped across the box that our striker misses would be inaccurate?

Frostie

What constitutes accurate? If a ball is over hit and collected on the edge of the box by our player is that counted as accurate but a good ball whipped across the box that our striker misses would be inaccurate?

Has to go direct to an intended target in a central area.

The point about inaccurate crosses is spot on though & Cross Accuracy shouldn't really be looked at to just measure the crosser, it's more a measure of team's performance from them & will obviously factor in the striker's movement/anticipation etc.

Of course, if one of our wing-backs was massively underperforming the others then it's a point for discussion & the coaches would want to look at why.
Is his delivery poorer?
Does he vary his delivery too much/not enough?
Is it a flaw with the forwards - i.e. Is their movement not as good or instinctive when it comes in from that side etc.?

shmmeee

I think we are best driving into the box and cutting it back personally. We don’t get enough in the box and when we do one is O’Hare who’d need to bring a stepladder to have a chance. Hamer as well naturally hangs back at the edge of the box. Play to our strengths I say, hard and low or cut back towards the edge of the box.

Hobo

McFadz, Baka and Biamou need to go.

In tbeir own way they have all pulled their weight this year. But we need to move on.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Seems appropriate for this thread. Season starts 7th August.

Bank hol Monday after the playoff final. Saves me booking a day off...:cool:

Sky Blue Pete

Seems appropriate for this thread. Season starts 7th August.

Bank hol Monday after the playoff final. Saves me booking a day off...:cool:

Rotherham will be lucky to have played 40 games by then

Users who are viewing this thread