Next season squad if we stay up... (5 Viewers)

Sick Boy

fair point. We have reasonable prospects of bids for Baka, Max, Pask, Mason and Hyam (of those I would prefer to see go) in which case we should take them.
Both Biamou and Bakayoko are out of contract

Sick Boy

Walker is going to have a tough time here if this forum is accurate in supporters views. He’s been written off already despite having scored more goals in fewer games
He has the potential to be better than Godden, yet seems to have been singled out by a particular section of the support as a boo boy.

cc84cov

Walker is going to have a tough time here if this forum is accurate in supporters views. He’s been written off already despite having scored more goals in fewer games
It’s the cult of max fans who don’t like him as they compare the 2 of them it’s not hard to see who will score more goals at this level given service

Magwitch1

I don’t know what your point is then? I said we need to have the option of playing wingers next season. Da Costa isn’t one and isn’t good enough anyway but that’s another argument
Don’t think we have seen the best of DaCosta yet but in bits & pieces he has impressed me and was playing in what at the time was a team not playing too well.

Garryb80

He has the potential to be better than Godden, yet seems to have been singled out by a particular section of the support as a boo boy.
Its similar to the Grimmer/Sterling era. Sterling was almost hounded out of the team on here because he didnt say hello to fans on twitter. Clearly he was the better player and rightly proved it as the season went on.

SonofErnie

On the goalkeeper situation, watched the efl highlights today and Daniel iversen made some great saves for Preston. On loan from Leicester after a lengthy injury to Declan Rudd, was good on loan at Rotherham last season too. Wouldn’t mind having a look at him.
I just want a keeper who can command their area and their defence. I don’t want a keeper who allow as free headers from 3 yards out, which has happened far too frequently this season. Shot stopping should be a given for keepers at this level.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He hasn't been 'written off' by most people at all - they've just questioned what he adds to the team if he's not scoring. Thus far the answer is little. He's a player that will get marked 7-8 if he scores but 4-5 if he doesn't. It's pretty much all he has in his armoury.

Everyone here has played with someone who just stood up front while everyone else had to work their bollocks off to make up for that persons lack of effort defensively.

Obv this is a higher level but the comparison holds. Walker can be effective for us IF we let him just hang about up front as he's a good finisher. But if we play one up front Walker shouldn't be picked because the effort isn't there - he has to have a strike partner. IMO Godden works harder and is on a par in terms of finishing. I'd like to see the two together at some point.

NortonSkyBlue

It’s the same nonsense that was levelled at Stern John.
I have offered an opinion and gave my reasoning for dispatching Walker to get in someone better. He just doesn't have it in him to work hard as far I as I can see.
Stern John had it in him but couldn't be arsed sometimes.

Marty

Would get rid of most of the squad if possible.

Neither keeper is good enough for Championship,

RWB is fine,
LWB is needed. Sam is ok at this level but if we want to progress and not have a relegation battle every year we need better.
Sign Osti if we can get him, I think hes excellent and easily the best CB currently here, we also need 2 more CB's IMO. I'd keep Fadz, Hyam and Rose as back ups, or they can be moved on if they don't want to sit on the bench.

Midfield,
Sign James if we can, looks a level above the rest of the team, Hamer & Kelly are fine. Although Kelly is getting regularly injured now, so I would look to bring in a long term solution to him. Only has 1 more year after this season i think? Shipley & Allen are not good enough, both average League one players. get rid of both.
Sheaf - I don't know with Sheaf, sometimes he looks class then the next minute he'll ping a 30 yard ball across the back line and put us into trouble. He needs to put some proper work into his game but, would probably keep him until January and then loan out to a L1 club if he keeps making the same errors.
COH - class act. need 2x AM with pace.

Forwards
Godden - back up,
Walker - want to see him fully fit, has a very good goal scoring record and does look quality in the box, we just haven't seen anything of him.
Baka - complete waster, Biamou, works hard just not good enough. release both
I'd sign a proper target man for Walker too play off.

We're crying out for pace in this team, the likes of Jobello & Kasta can all leave, be no loss to the team.

baldy

Assuming we’ve got a similar budget to improve things as we did this year:

GK: Get rid of both. Bring in a proper Championship level keeper and put Bilson on the bench.

CB: Give Fadz and Hyam a year extension. Sign 2 first team and 1 U23 CB. Possibly one loan and one perm.

RB: fine.

LB: Sign a first team LWB. Not concerned about defence as much as attack. Our wing backs should be playing as wide midfielders anyway now we’ve got a decent defence that doesn’t need bailing out.

DM: With Sheaf and Eccles coming through I’d leave this.

AM: Get rid of Shipley, Kasta, Jobello, Hilßner, Allen. Sign a couple of championship quality players. Again maybe a loan or two here.

ST: Give Max a year, get a better, younger version to do the same job. Controversial but if Robins has decided one up from is the way, sell Walker and sign two big lads who can lead the line on their own. Again maybe a loan here.

Why get rid of both Marosi and Wilson to replace them with Bilson who hasnt even played yet? That’s daft

Deity

The pace and physique of the better players in the championship is blatantly missing in our squad. We are neat and tidy but we don’t have any players with real pace, we don’t have any players with a trick or ability to beat a player one on one.

it doesn’t look like this was part of the criteria the recruitment team were operating toowhich was fine in LG’s 2 and 1 but doesn’t work in the championship.

I agree with the points made about building slowly but that will be hard if we stay up. We don’t have a left back, we are chronically weak in the centre of defence and both Walker and Godden are good finishers but contribute little when they don’t score.

we will need at least 5 or 6 new faces if we wish to be mid table next year

mark82

It’s putting sentimentality over reason; Godden and Walker should both be back-up strikers if we are actually serious about progressing at this level.

Think Walker hs potential to be a Championship level striker but it's certainly a position we should try to improve. We need someone with a bit more presence. Someone in the Biamou mold but better.

Magwitch1

Bloody hell Walker has to be given a lot more time, he’s just come back from a lengthy injury and COVID ffs!,I doubts he was 100% when he first came back about a month ago, hopefully a couple of more games and wins he gets a run in a team playing better and with confidence.

johnwillomagic

Far too early to be thinking of stuff like this let's just focus on the remaining 11 games as we get nearer the end of the season and know which division we will be in and if indeed we are back at the Ricoh we can then plan from there.

Not sure who we can just release and strategies will be vastly differing dependant on which division we end up in next season.

Sky Blue Pete

Out of contract

Hyam - club has option so will take it
Mcfadzean allow leave
Kelly allow leave
Baka allow leave
Jones pay as play or 1 year
Thompson - club has option so will take it
Biamou - 1 year deal

For me

TomRad85

Does Ostigard become easier or harder to keep if Brighton go down do we think? Because they look in real danger right now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

steve101

Obviously we do need to strengthen but if we can get a proper pre-season in we (touch wood) have a fully fit Dabo, Rose, Dacosta, Reid, Kelly, Walker and Godden. If Jodi Jones is given a new contract he will be like a new signing. Add to that will be a squad and management team who have gained a season of Championship experience.

Grendel

Back up cheap and not expecting a major role. In fairness I think I’d allow anyone to leave who has no resell value when out of contract. Hence why Dabo and rose and Eccles signed contracts

Surely at his age he’d be looking for a longer deal

Yorkshire SB

I think we’ll change formation, and recruitment will be based on that.

We’re crying out for some different attacking options, another Callum O’Hare style player, would be great, or some pacey wide players. I’m keen on a striker but appreciate this is a hard position to fill, and I truly believe that our problem has been the play into the final third, rather than a problem with the strikers, although Walker looks well short!

Definitely need a keeper, and another CB, and two CMs (ideally sign James and another, if we have to buy Sheaf that would do.

Also if we could get McCallum back for another year I’d bite Norwich’s hand off, to those saying he can’t defend I think that’s such nonsense, and a lot of the stats back that up. Kick the can down the road on the left back issue and save

Grendel

You’d get rid of Kelly?! Wow

also I can’t see us getting Ostigard and rose and Hyam have been poor so I’d be surprised if Mcfazdean is not offered something

Hertsccfc

I think we’ll change formation, and recruitment will be based on that.

We’re crying out for some different attacking options, another Callum O’Hare style player, would be great, or some pacey wide players. I’m keen on a striker but appreciate this is a hard position to fill, and I truly believe that our problem has been the play into the final third, rather than a problem with the strikers, although Walker looks well short!

Definitely need a keeper, and another CB, and two CMs (ideally sign James and another, if we have to buy Sheaf that would do.

Also if we could get McCallum back for another year I’d bite Norwich’s hand off, to those saying he can’t defend I think that’s such nonsense, and a lot of the stats back that up. Kick the can down the road on the left back issue and save
Agree with most of that but feel Walker may come good. Also hope Jones is the other O'Hare type player. He definitely has the ability if the injuries haven't impacted on him too much.

Like you would be very happy if we could keep McCallum. His progress is outstanding.

Marty

Great last year in league 1 but hasn't played for a year. Not a given that he would be effective in the Championship. He might be but this would be a risk in my view.

Little risk IMO, he was the stand out player last year, much greater risk signing Jones to a new deal where he won't have played for nearly 3.5 years once the next season begins.

Mucca Mad Boys

If we can replace with better yep

Even if we could, getting rid of him is stupid. It’s no coincidence our results get better when he is in the team. Hamer, James, O’Hare are all more impactful players, but nowhere near as influential.

We do need an upgrade. But, like with Doyle, we need someone who can actually replace him when the time comes.

He gets a 1 year extension.

Users who are viewing this thread