Next season squad if we stay up... (1 Viewer)

harvey098

If we stayed up next season... Who would you keep / offload?

Goalkeepers
Keep both

Defence
Rose - If we could still get a decent price for him, I would let him go but feel that landscape may have changed.
McCallum - I would take McCallum back which you'd expect to be a possibility given Norwich look premier league bound.
Osti- Would also take Osti but not sure he would be available.
Rest - keep

Midfield
Shippers - Just doesn't look comfortable in this division. Sentimentality out of it, I would move on.
Allen - Certainly a player in there but doesn't fit the way we play. Think his wages could be better spent.
Sheaf - If we can get out of that deal, we must.
James - Would take James on a perm if available
Rest - Keep

Forwards
Jobello - Move on
Kasta - Move on
Baka - Regretfully, move on
Gyokeres - send back
Rest - Keep

Reactions: TTG

baldy

I don't think we should go back for Sam... I might be in the minority here but I'm just not a huge fan... He can't defend to save his Life.

It bothers me, I'm sorry

Same here this season about McCallum,also I'd invest in another goalie & keep one of the other 2 as back-up

DannyThomas_1981

I think that makes a lot of sense Harvey.

For goalkeepers - I think we need a commanding presence - someone similar to Stockdale who made such a big difference in his few appearances in giving confidence to his defenders that he was going to collect crosses.

We also need a left sided centre back for the three - and ideally someone with pace.

And we need recruitment to be aimed at first team regulars vs. development players. One big problem this season is that we've not been able to rotate and that means very tired players through being over-played - O'Hare and Hamer as good examples. Max playing two games a week alone up front. That's obviously down to injuries but Robins needs the recruitment team to add 3-4 quality signings that he has confidence in to rotate in and out of the team at this level.

If we stay up I'd have a lot of confidence in mid-table next season - we seemed over-awed in the first 10 games this time around and not physically ready due to the very long off season. We should arguably be even higher this season - giving 6 points to Forest for example was near criminal - with some more experience in this division it will be a different story.

TM8792

GK

I'd get a new GK in and offload Marosi. Wilson can be backup.

Defence

I'd take Ostigard on a perm/new loan deal next season, but the rest of the defence worries me - even Dabo I think has looked poor more often than he's looked good this season. Think we would need 2 new CBs and a 2 new full backs.
Keep McCallum? Not a chance. I thought we had seen the back of him for good when we committed daylight robbery and offloaded him to Norwich.

Midfield

Get rid of Shipley, Allen, Shead. Get James in if possible to partner Kelly. If we get any sort of bid for O'Hare I'd snap hands off.
Bring in a couple of wingers and an attacking midfielder. To be honest since Ashley Cain left we haven't really had a decent winger.

Forwards

Get rid of the lot bar Walker & BIamou. Bring in a proven Championship goalscorer.

Colin Steins Smile

I think we need a new goalkeeper - keep one of the existing two as alternative
A left sided CB & one more CB
Two left wing backs
A central midlfielder & Centre forward

If we can off load: Kasta, Jobello, Baka, Shippers, Allen, DaCosta, Mason.
Loan players: Mcallum return or permanent resign, Osti try to permanently sign, James sign if wages are within our budget, Gyok send back, Sheaf I presume we will have to sign.

cc84cov

Goalkeepers
Keep both

Defence
Rose - If we could still get a decent price for him, I would let him go but feel that landscape may have changed.
McCallum - I would take McCallum back which you'd expect to be a possibility given Norwich look premier league bound.
Rest - keep

Midfield
Shippers - Just doesn't look comfortable in this division. Sentimentality out of it, I would move on.
Allen - Certainly a player in there but doesn't fit the way we play. Think his wages could be better spent.
Rest - Keep

Forwards
Jobello - Move on
Kasta - Move on
Gyokeres - send back
Rest - Keep
New keepers are a must

cc84cov

I don't think we should go back for Sam... I might be in the minority here but I'm just not a huge fan... He can't defend to save his Life.

It bothers me, I'm sorry
He’s not at the level that left side is a priority a new LB & LCB is a must

fatso

Goalkeepers
Keep both

Defence
Rest - keep

Midfield
Rest - Keep

Forwards
Jobello - Move on
Kasta - Move on
Gyokeres - send back
Rest - Keep
Cant argue with most of that.
I was all for letting Biamou go too, but I'm kind of accepting that he can do a job when required, so happy for him to stay.

I'd off load those you mentioned, as well as Hilssner.
I'd keep Rose, as Fadz isn't getting any younger, but there is still a decision to be made with Pask, who hasn't let us down.
As for McCallum, tbf I'd let him go back, as I think he's actually gone backwards this season.
But I'd try to keep James if we could.

Whatever happens, I can see a lot of comings and goings before next season, hopefully we will be better prepared for a good season at the Ricoh.

Sick Boy

If we stay up I fully expect most of if not all of the out of contract players to be released with the aim of evolving the squad. We desperately need to address the striker situation and have Godden and Walker as back-up.

larry_david

I'm curious about the future of pask. MR seems to trust him but never played him at centre back. It's an odd one

SleepyGinger

On the goalkeeper situation, watched the efl highlights today and Daniel iversen made some great saves for Preston. On loan from Leicester after a lengthy injury to Declan Rudd, was good on loan at Rotherham last season too. Wouldn’t mind having a look at him.

rob9872

Forget most of this. Even surviving we'll still be one of the smaller budgets again and the key will be how well we use the loan market. I trust our recruitment and hopefully being established we can get some better loans. A Premiership young goalkeeper in the Johnstone or Henderson mould would be a nice and a raw forward like when Bristol City got Abraham would be a bonus. Our owned players are generally cheap and releasing too many especially those who still have likely improvement in them would be a mistake. Tbh I'd only move on Kasta and Mason, not renew Baka and possibly Pask and keep the rest.

Sick Boy

This goes against everything I’ve been saying but after hearing max say he loves the club - I’m happy for him to get a new contract (as fourth choice striker)

its nice to hear someone genuinely love the club for once - its sad that we’ve had so many players not give a shit.
It’s putting sentimentality over reason; Godden and Walker should both be back-up strikers if we are actually serious about progressing at this level.

harvey098

It’s putting sentimentality over reason; Godden and Walker should both be back-up strikers if we are actually serious about progressing at this level.

Even by your logic if Godden and Walker are our 2nd and 3rd options, we still need a 4th. I just can’t see us splashing out on an upgrade to Godden yet, we haven’t got the money. I expect a premier league loan or a punt on a striker from abroad / lower league. Ultimately though, I think Godden and Walker will be the strikers he leads with next season.

Sick Boy

Even by your logic if Godden and Walker are our 2nd and 3rd options, we still need a 4th. I just can’t see us splashing out on an upgrade to Godden yet, we haven’t got the money. I expect a premier league loan or a punt on a striker from abroad / lower league. Ultimately though, I think Godden and Walker will be the strikers he leads with next season.
We need to invest in 2 new strikers for next season, ideally pushing Godden and Walker down the pecking order. We can’t risk another season relying on Biamou upfront for so long.

harvey098

We need to invest in 2 new strikers for next season, ideally pushing Godden and Walker down the pecking order. We can’t risk another season relying on Biamou upfront for so long.
If you’ve got one of those cheat codes I used to use on sims to get more money, please let Boddy know. I would love to sign another two strikers better than Godden and Walker but not happening mate. One is a possibility but even then it’s going to involve a bit of luck with someone slightly unproven coming good, we’re not going to be able to afford an already proven championship scorer. In fact, tell me the two strikers you would want to sign.

Sick Boy

If you’ve got one of those cheat codes I used to use on sims to get more money, please let Boddy know. I would love to sign another two strikers better than Godden and Walker but not happening mate. One is a possibility but even then it’s going to involve a bit of luck with someone slightly unproven coming good, we’re not going to be able to afford an already proven championship scorer. In fact, tell me the two strikers you would want to sign.
I’ve not said an already proven Championship scorer, we’d be looking for players like Hamer who are relatively unknown. Granted, one is more likely than two.

harvey098

I’ve not said an already proven Championship scorer, we’d be looking for players like Hamer who are relatively unknown. Granted, one is more likely than two.

Fair. Hopefully if we can offload, Baka, Jobello and Kasta that can free up the wages for one. Obviously we don't know the details of the Ricoh return but I imagine attendances to be double than in 19/20 which should give us a bit more to play with.

Sick Boy

Fair. Hopefully if we can offload, Baka, Jobello and Kasta that can free up the wages for one. Obviously we don't know the details of the Ricoh return but I imagine attendances to be double than in 19/20 which should give us a bit more to play with.
Not sure there are going to be many takers for Kastaneer. Jobello has been unfortunate, I thought he was excellent before his injury but the team and the way we play have evolved since then.

cov donkey kick

Think the core of strikers will be left with godden, walker, and max. We will need a proven championship striker to this group. Defence not sure about rose, would like Osti in from brighton another LB midfield, sign James and if we keep ohare. Hamer that would be bril ship out jobello, kasta, as we don't play wingers. Can see bapaga, Eccles, Reid all featuring in the start of there 1st team careers next season and the likes of hillsner who should get a crack next season.
The plus side if We are back at the ricoh think Robins into his 5th year should have a slightly bigger budget.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I did say it went against everything I’ve said in here. Been hyper-critical about Max, and don’t think he’s good enough.

im just saying If the budget allows I’d be happy for him to be 4th choice. Hopefully we don’t have the injuries we had this season again

shmmeee

Assuming we’ve got a similar budget to improve things as we did this year:

GK: Get rid of both. Bring in a proper Championship level keeper and put Bilson on the bench.

CB: Give Fadz and Hyam a year extension. Sign 2 first team and 1 U23 CB. Possibly one loan and one perm.

RB: fine.

LB: Sign a first team LWB. Not concerned about defence as much as attack. Our wing backs should be playing as wide midfielders anyway now we’ve got a decent defence that doesn’t need bailing out.

DM: With Sheaf and Eccles coming through I’d leave this.

AM: Get rid of Shipley, Kasta, Jobello, Hilßner, Allen. Sign a couple of championship quality players. Again maybe a loan or two here.

ST: Give Max a year, get a better, younger version to do the same job. Controversial but if Robins has decided one up from is the way, sell Walker and sign two big lads who can lead the line on their own. Again maybe a loan here.

Londonccfcfan

Assuming we’ve got a similar budget to improve things as we did this year:

GK: Get rid of both. Bring in a proper Championship level keeper and put Bilson on the bench.

CB: Give Fadz and Hyam a year extension. Sign 2 first team and 1 U23 CB. Possibly one loan and one perm.

RB: fine.

LB: Sign a first team LWB. Not concerned about defence as much as attack. Our wing backs should be playing as wide midfielders anyway now we’ve got a decent defence that doesn’t need bailing out.

DM: With Sheaf and Eccles coming through I’d leave this.

AM: Get rid of Shipley, Kasta, Jobello, Hilßner, Allen. Sign a couple of championship quality players. Again maybe a loan or two here.

ST: Give Max a year, get a better, younger version to do the same job. Controversial but if Robins has decided one up from is the way, sell Walker and sign two big lads who can lead the line on their own. Again maybe a loan here.

Almost exactly my thoughts.
Only thing id say is.

Id give Wilson another 11 games to prove hes up to the task 50/50 on him. If he does well. Deserves another chance.

Although id say keep Allen.
Hes a good squad player (if hes happy to be just that). Dont think hes had a fair crack at proving himself. He plays well and gets dropped next game.

standupforcity

It bothers me, I'm sorry
Totally agree...to me he's seriously overrated although there are moments of pure inspiration......can be very sloppy, but at the moment we have absolutely zero cover.

Gibbo

Goalkeepers
Keep both

Defence
Rest - keep

Midfield
Rest - Keep

Forwards
Jobello - Move on
Kasta - Move on
Gyokeres - send back
Rest - Keep
The list of who is up to snuff is a short one

Good enough for 1st team: Dabo, Hamer, O'Hare, Kelly, (James), Walker. And that is it

Probably just about good enough for the squad: Rose, Allen, DaCosta, Sheaf

Must play if you have to but frankly are not good enough: Hyam, Biamou, Godden

Out Shipley,Baka, Jobello, Kasta, Pask,Wilson, Marosi (keep one of the goalies for reserve),

Age is going to catch up on him some time: MacFadz

Unknown quantities: Eccles and Bapaga

Robins summer 'to do's'

1. 'Max out' on the loans again. We will need 5

2. Sell one or both of O'Hare & Hamer to generate the money for 4-5 players (see Barnsley).

3. Once you have replaced one or both of those two, a striker, left back and Ostigaard (or an Ostigaard look alike) are the priorities.

Sick Boy

Almost exactly my thoughts.
Only thing id say is.

Id give Wilson another 11 games to prove hes up to the task 50/50 on him. If he does well. Deserves another chance.

Although id say keep Allen.
Hes a good squad player (if hes happy to be just that). Dont think hes had a fair crack at proving himself. He plays well and gets dropped next game.
If we go into next season with Wilson as our number one then I’d be shocked.

standupforcity

Keep yesterday's starting team with the exception of Wilson. Marosi is our best keeper and unlucky to have lost his place through injury. Last season he was consistently good. Easy to forget. Move on McCallum, Sheaf, Shipley, Gyo, Walker, Baka, Kasta and poss Hyam and Mason. As far a Biamou is concerned he's getting better each game he plays and lets not forget how crucial he was upfront with McNulty...a great pairing and I think he could have the same with Godden, which I can't remember being tried yet, as Max was out of favour or not fit when Godden was fit. Could work nicely.

Sick Boy

Keep yesterday's starting team with the exception of Wilson. Marosi is our best keeper and unlucky to have lost his place through injury. Last season he was consistently good. Easy to forget. Move on McCallum, Sheaf, Shipley, Gyo, Walker, Baka, Kasta and poss Hyam and Mason. As far a Biamou is concerned he's getting better each game he plays and lets not forget how crucial he was upfront with McNulty...a great pairing and I think he could have the same with Godden, which I can't remember being tried yet, as Max was out of favour or not fit when Godden was fit. Could work nicely.
We have an obligation to sign Sheaf. There’s no way he’s going to sell Walker and play Biamou as a first choice striker in a two.

Users who are viewing this thread