Newport player ratings (1 Viewer)

Otis

This should be easy!!

O'Brien - 2. It was just such a poor effort from him, from a shot not hit that hard from quite a way out.

Grimmer - 3. Poor

Willis - 3. Poor

McDonald - 7. The only starter who played well.

Stokes - 5. Distinctly average and offered little going forwards.

Doyle - 5. Failed to impose himself on the game.

Kelly - 2 Shocker!

Jones - 5

Vincenti - 5

Beavon - 4

McNulty - 5

Subs:

Stevenson 5
Biamou 5
Andreu - 6. Like a breath of fresh air

pastythegreat

Can't believe stokes got a 5.....
Or is that how many times he gave the ball away

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Otis

Can't believe stokes got a 5.....
Or is that how many times he gave the ball away

Yeah, fair point. First half most certainly. On reflection that should be half a mark down, if not a 4.

AStonesThrow

I must admit I felt sorry for Jodi. Tried hard but nothing came off for him, lacked options as well with Vincenti and Beavon not giving him anything in terms of runs, and biamou being dead wood when he came on

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Obrien 4
Stokes 3
Willis 5
Macdonald 7
Grimmer 3
Doyle 5
Kelly 3
Vicente 4
Jones 4
Mcnilty 4
Beavon 3

Stevenson 5
Andreu 5
Biamou n/a

torchomatic

I thought Willis was hopeless. His distribution is poor and very rarely finds a team mate with a pass. Rather have Hyam starting.

torchomatic

O'B 4
Stokes 4
Willis 3
McDonald 6
Grimmer 3
Kelly 4
Doyle 5
Vincente 5
Jones 4
McNulty 4
Beavon 4

Biambou 4
Andreu 5
Stevenson 4

pastythegreat

Obrien 3, collected crosses well and delivery (especially that cross field diagonal kick for Vincetti was good) was good. Knocked down from a 6.5 for "that goal"!

Grimmer 4. Offered more than Stokes on the other side but still no good today!

Stokes. 2.5 gave the ball away far too often! Offered nothing going forward.

Willis 3.5. Had a hard game as their striker obviously couldn't wait till full time to swap shirts. Went forward and lost the ball and got caught out of position a few times.

Mcdonald 6 our best player today and deserved MOTM.

Kelley 4. Was a passenger today. Gave it away too often.

Doyle 4.5. You'd expect him to rally the players but wasn't at it today. Never seen him in the refs ear once about their time time wasting tactics.

Vincetti. 3.5. Beaten in the are far too often by a player half his height!.

Jones 4. Like stokes, gave the ball away too often. Needs to learn to use his right foot.

McNulty 3.5 offered probably our best outlet today but looked unlikely to ever score.

Beavon.2.5. Non noticable. Wasn't really in the ge at all today.

Biamou. 2 Won a couple of headers but not much else.

Stevenson 3. Was urged by the crowd 3 or 4 times to have a shot and opted to pass sideways to doyle, bass to grimmer marked by 2 men or pass it to a Newport player.

Andrue. 5. Need to see more of him but looked the real deal. Hopefully he's our creator this season as we looked like we would never score today.

OBrien - 4 Shocker for the goal and some brainless long kicks up field to give possession back to Newport cheaply.
Grimmer - 4 Below average performance in both attack and defence.
Willis - 5 Not too bad but needed to be more commanding.
McDonald - 6 Did nothing wrong defensively. Added nothing in attacking areas.
Stokes - 4 see comments for Grimmer
Jones - 4 Too easy to defend against in games like this. Cut inside every time. Will be at his most effective this season only when teams are stretched.
Doyle - 5 Not enough influence but ok individual performance.
Kelly - 4 Gave away the ball cheaply.
Vincenti - 5 Didn't win all headers but in fairness to him was being used as the outlet to build up almost every attack from the back with mixed results. Worse players around him.
Beavon - 3 No impact on the game
McNulty - 3 No impact, clever runs and fluffed any opportunities that did fall his way.
Subs
Stevenson - 4 indecisive, poor in the pass giving the ball away far too easily.
Andreu - 6 created a great chance for himself and changed the dynamic when he came on.
Biamou - 2 Presumably looks good on the training ground but awful in matches so far. Hopefully he'll grow in confidence and get better.

Time to change the strike force. Would personally go Nazon & Andreu for the next game. I'd also put Kelly-Evans back in instead of Grimmer. Tactically poor from Robins today. Hopefully this will be a wake up call rather than a sign of things to come.

Mr Panda

O'Brien 3 - Howler today, don't expect that even at League two level.

Stokes 5 - Frustrating on the ball, misplaced passes and poor decisions when in possession.

Grimmer 5 - Offered little on the overlap which often left Jones isolated. On a couple of occasions bizarrely moved infield when Jones had the ball. Needs to overlap to take men away from Jones.

Willis 5 - Would have been a clean sheet had it not been for the keeper. Poor passing today, hit and hope.

Rod 6 - Looked to drive forward in the second half and was solid when called upon.

Vincenti 5 - Struggling to see his role in the team, having doubts over his ability with the ball on the floor. Wins his headers but we need more than just a man with height.

Doyle 6 - Did his role and kept it simple.

Kelly 5 - Was drawn out wide an awful lot to cover at right back. Meant we had nothing in midfield unfortunately. His performance was poor but he wasn't helped by our tactics.

Jones 5 - Was doubled up on today. Very easily stifled. Partly his fault, he should look for a simple solution sometimes. Grimmer didn't help much on the overlap.

Beavon/McNulty 5 - No support from midfield. Beavon being used as a target man which is wrong. Needs help from midfield so he can get it to feet. McNulty tried his best but again little support from midfield.

Grendel

Giving players scores of 2 and 3 is ridiculous, the defence wasn't even threatened once in 90 minutes.

What a joke thread this is. How can a goalkeeper get 2 for one mistake?

Sbarcher

Thought Jodi Jones was more like Corporal Jones........

Esoterica

OBrien - 4 Awful goal and needed to mix up the goal kicks a bit, aiming at Vincenti every time made it routine for Newport.
Grimmer - 5 No game awareness today, spent far too much time in the opposition half meaning Kelly had to cover him which in turn left a huge hole in midfield and dictated a longer ball game. When he did get the ball in advanced positions, not sure he completed a pass.
Willis - 6 Did ok defensively but lumped too many aimless balls up field.
McDonald - 7 Looked solid all game while in his own half. A bit out of his depth when chasing the game up field.
Stokes - 5 Thought he was reluctant to get forward especially first half, possibly because of how high Grimmer was the whole game.
Jones - 5 Never really got the ball in dangerous places. Always 2 men on him and no support from midfield.
Doyle - 5 Tried to be Pirlo today when we needed David Batty. Lumped a lot of hopeless balls forward towards the end of the game.
Kelly - 5 Our best right back today. Distribution was very poor though and no surprise when he was subbed.
Vincenti - 5 This guy is gonna be the boy boo for people who don't understand football very well. Barely had a ball to feet as it was chipped at his head while stuck on the touchline for most of the game.
Beavon - 5 Shouldn't have started and don't think he should be any more than a last 20 minutes player this season, used to pull around a tired defence when trying to see a game out.
McNulty - 5 Definitely not a 10 as he doesn't seem great at holding the ball up but has mis-hit 3 chances already this season where he should be at least hitting the target so not sure he's clinical enough as a 9. Needs to play in front of Andreu for a couple of games.
Subs
Stevenson - 6 Actually played in midfield and made himself available, so we looked better going forward but by that time Newport were so deep that he gave the ball away several times trying to thread the eye of a needle.
Andreu - 6 looked better technically than anyone else on the pitch, made himself a good chance and looked to be changing the game until he was shunted out left when Biamou came on.
Biamou - 4 No influence on the game and used by Doyle to punt long balls at which is not his game. Having said that, not sure what his game is yet.

Robins 4 - Poor decisions today. Naming an unchanged line up was a mistake. Should have swapped Jones and Vincenti as soon as Pipe won a couple of headers and JJ was getting doubled up on. The Beavon change was needed at half time before we conceded because it was twice as hard to break them down after the goal and then bringing Biamou on was just plain wrong. Needed to stop Doyle punting balls at Biamou too.

DKE or Pearson at right back next game and Andreu for Beavon. Would keep Kelly in the middle based on that change and as it's an away game but bring Stevenson in for Shrewsbury at home.

RocketSkates

not impressed with Biamou so far this season- but we're only three games in so fingers crossed he'll pick up a bit, might need time to adjust to higher league

Otis

Giving players scores of 2 and 3 is ridiculous, the defence wasn't even threatened once in 90 minutes.

Because it cost us the game and I was in a let's all smash up the hotel room after the gig mindset.

I was deliberately harsh.

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree with you Grendel - one howler, but he gave me confidence in his all round game. Thought we defended collectively and individually well. thoughistribution was poor. We seemed to lack urgency (until we went behind). Disappointing, but not the end of the world!

Otis

Agree with you Grendel - one howler, but he gave me confidence in his all round game. Thought we defended collectively and individually well. Their distribution was very poor. We seemed to lack urgency (until we went behind). Disappointing, but not the end of the world!
Not at all. Just one of those days. Come on, we all know we are surely better at passing than we were today. That was abysmal. So many misplaced passes.

And on the defence thing, most people I am sure rated them low because we played most of the second half in their half and they didn't contribute going forwards and you would expect the likes of Grimmer and Stokes to aid our attacking intent and also because they were all guilty of dreadful distribution apart from Rod McDonald. Don't think anyone has particularly hammered their defending for the most part.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Agree with you Grendel - one howler, but he gave me confidence in his all round game. Thought we defended collectively and individually well. thoughistribution was poor. We seemed to lack urgency (until we went behind). Disappointing, but not the end of the world!
As long as it's only one howler !!!

giphy.gif

Otis

Depends how you score things. You might give Willis 6 for solid defending, but then knock 3 marks off for his really dreadful distribution. Makes perfect sense.

We lost in part today because of inability to pass the ball to a team mate and then because of O'Brien's error.

singers_pore

O'Brien - 5. One bad mistake and hardly anything else to do.
Grimmer - 3. Worst player on the pitch after being one of our best players in the previous 2 games.
Willis - 5. Poor distribution. I prefer Hyam.
McDonald - 8. Excellent, just as he was in the other 2 games. The one defender who seemed able to make a decent pass as well as being very secure at the back.
Stokes - 5. Meh. Not as good as usual.
Jones - 7. Tried hard but too many misplaced assets.
Doyle - 5. Pretty anonymous but his distribution was better than most of the others.
Kelly - 4. Very poor passes.
Vincenti - 4. Didn't influence anything. Seems very clumsy.
Beavon - 5. Pretty anonymous.
McNulty - 5. Pretty anonymous.

Subs
Stevenson - 5. Tried to find a killer pass but gave the ball away too often.
Andreu - 6. Seems ok. Will probably start against Yeovil.
Biamou - 4. Didn't really do anything in the time he had on the pitch.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not at all. Just one of those days. Come on, we all know we are surely better at passing than we were today. That was abysmal. So many misplaced passes.

And on the defence thing, most people I am sure rated them low because we played most of the second half in their half and they didn't contribute going forwards and you would expect the likes of Grimmer and Stokes to aid our attacking intent and also because they were all guilty of dreadful distribution apart from Rod McDonald. Don't think anyone has particularly hammered their defending for the most part.

First time I'd seen us this season (holidays). The number of mishit/underhit ten yard passes in the first half totally broke up any productive play and I was quite glad to have got to half time level. hoping for at least one win from our next 2 away games, then beat P Vale at home and get things back on track. Liked the look of sub Andreu, and would have liked to have seen the Duck, but fingers crossed we shrug off this setback. Newport were neat and well organised, but that was about all. If we had put in a 6 out of 10 performance with our passing, we ought to have got at least a point.

Otis

Bit of an overreaction, we lost 1-0 to a goalkeeping clanger and people are throwing around ratings of 2, 3 and 4 for most of the team.
We were very poor though, Dave. Very simple 5 yard passes were going astray and were constantly being intercepted.

For O'Brien I would have given him a 6 without the mistake. The mistake cost us the game and at least 2 points and as it was such an awful mistake I knocked 4 points off. Would have done the same if someone had gotten themselves a stupid sending off which cost us the game too.

The defence as a defence did okay, but their passing and distribution was constantly and consistently giving the ball straight back to the opposition.

Yep, harsh, but it was such an inept performance.

Users who are viewing this thread