Newport player ratings (1 Viewer)

Grendel

We were very poor though, Dave. Very simple 5 yard passes were going astray and were constantly being intercepted.

For O'Brien I would have given him a 6 without the mistake. The mistake cost us the game and at least 2 points and as it was such an awful mistake I knocked 4 points off. Would have done the same if someone had gotten themselves a stupid sending off which cost us the game too.

The defence as a defence did okay, but their passing and distribution was constantly and consistently giving the ball straight back to the opposition.

Yep, harsh, but it was such an inept performance.

Defenders are rated on their defensive contribution. If Jones made a couple and scored one but failed to win two defensive headers you'd rate him down?

Robins plays a flat back 4 and expects his defenders to defend and clear ugly.

Otis

Defenders are rated on their defensive contribution. If Jones made a couple and scored one but failed to win two defensive headers you'd rate him down?

Yep, get all that, but second half we didn't really have any defending to do once Newport set up camp in their own half and I would say that McDonald most definitely does not just clear it ugly. There quite often is some precision and accuracy to what he does when clearing the ball.

As I said, I was deliberately harsh. Wasn't annoyed today, but was very disappointed in our approach to the game and mental state.

stupot07

O'Brian 5
Grimmer 5
Willis 5
McDonald 7
Stokes 5
Jones 5
Kelly 4
Doyle 5
Vincent's 5
Beavon 5
McNulty 5

Subs
Andreu 7
Stevenson 6
Biamou 5

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Moff

Thought the defence aside from McDonald were poor, although didn't think Grimmer was as low as a two or three that few people gave him.

The midfield created little, misplaced to many passes and Vincenti couldn't seem to win a header. The attack were devoid of service and were shackled well all game.

O'Brien 4
Grimmer 5
Willis 5
McDonald 7
Stokes 5
Jones 5
Kelly 5
Doyle 5
Vincenti 4
Beavon 5
McNulty 5

Subs
Andreu 7
Stevenson 5
Biamou 4

As for the subs, Andreu offered something different and I look forward to seeing him play more. I thought Stevenson was poor, misplaced passes, took the easy option too often and no real urgency to get forward, his confidence looks low. Biamou offered very little.

shmmeee

O'Brian 5
Grimmer 5
Willis 5
McDonald 7
Stokes 5
Jones 5
Kelly 4
Doyle 5
Vincent's 5
Beavon 5
McNulty 5

Subs
Andreu 7
Stevenson 6
Biamou 5

Exactly what I'd have given. Maybe O'Brien a 4 because it was an absolute howler.

singers_pore

Would disagree with that. Grimmer was obviously told to push forward and in the first half especially Kelly was acting as cover in the full back position. Tactically I think that's good because Grimmer is generally a threat going forwards. Today for some reason he had a complete mare.

steve82

O'Brien 5 - commanding again, claimed crosses, tho distribution a little off and obviously a huge error in a otherwise decent performance.
Grimmer 5 - had attacking threat at times, average performance
Willis 5 - fair first half, average performance.
Mcdonald 7 - signing of the summer so far, composed and strong.
Stokes 5 - looked a little off the pace today especially against Nouble.
Kelly 4 - not as effective today, passing way off, worst of the team in distribution today.
Doyle 5 - failed to impose and raise the game of those around. Worked away quietly.
JJ 4 - poor today, movement was non existent, predictable and left his right foot at home. Needs taking of all set pieces.
McNulty 5 - no joy, worked away on scraps but snuffed out the game, limited service into him
Vincenti 5 - battered by Newport who did a number on him. Off day.
Beavon 5 - again not a lot of service into him, victim of poor passing into the strikers with McNulty to work off.

Andreu 6 - sparked a little life into the game with his movements and will to receive the ball. Looks the part.
Stevenson 5 - worked, distribution poor like those around him.
Biamou 3 - wrong choice of sub, little impact bar a snap shot.

Today had banana skin written all over it, and it became reality on a day when nothing came off for city with to many players off there game.

Distribution and final balls was poor, from wrong choice of passes to silly long passes to the forwards in a congested final 3rd that were easily picked of by Newport.
Newport came with a plan, stuck to it and got the luck with there goal in a game which had the feel of a fa cup game where the minnows frustrated there hosts.

In all honesty we never got a hold of the game, Newport made things difficult and so did city for each other.

A bad day at the office that raised a few concerns about the team, its creativity and highlighting the need to find a starting spot for Andreu who seemed to have the unlocking of a tight game and the creative spark we lacked
Will be a valuable asset in our home games as other sides will come to frustrate us like Newport did.

Brylowes

Doyle and especially Kelly were way under par today, and as a result the team as a whole
Struggled, Newport for the most part controlled the tempo and where the game was being
Played.
Hopefully just a poor all round performance and normal service will quickly be restored :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Bristol sky blue

Reading all the score predictions before the game made me feel uneasy... though yesterday was poor (especially distribution wise), we should take heart that we still could have drawn despite playing badly (a lot of keepers would not have saved Andreu's volley).
As others have suggested, we will come across many teams who will be very defensive at the Ricoh and will look to set pieces to score (or, capitalising on a mistake...)
Robins is doing an excellent job, but I think he would be honest enough to admit that his tactics were not quite right during the first half.
Only real concern for me is Biamou. He definitely has potential, but perhaps we need to send him out on loan. If Kwame is fit, I'd have him on the bench instead now.

Hobo

Players started complacent and our play lacked tempo and as the game went on we couldn't shake it off. Unfortunate goalkeeping error prevented it from being just a dull draw.

Littlewood CCFC

Don't agree with most the comments on this thread regarding Vincenti - i reckon he won 80% of his headers and flicked the ball into good areas, it was our strikers who were not in the right positions when he flicked the ball on more often than not. I think Beavon and Mcnulty had a bad game and looked off the pace. Lets not forget Andreu put a good pass in the box to Mcnulty and he completely missed the ball! saying that i believe this is a bad day at the office and expect us to get back to winning ways at Yeovil. Keep the faith all

stevefloyd

I think Vincenti is being played out of position, he shouldnt be playing out wide he doesnt have the pace but atm it seems he is played there 1 to make a place for him and 2 because we dont have anyone else to play there effectively

pastythegreat

So Willis goes on a Mo Konjic esque run deep into Newport half, has 3 blue shirts to pass to and only finds a yellow shirt 5 yards away from him. Newport now counter and we're a CH light at the back cuz he's still on the edge of the wrong box. But he's only to be judged on how many times he cleared the ball????
Bore off!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

steve82

I think Vincenti is being played out of position, he shouldnt be playing out wide he doesnt have the pace but atm it seems he is played there 1 to make a place for him and 2 because we dont have anyone else to play there effectively

I raised this point on another thread. To me he looks more comfortable on the right but JJ seems to spend the majority of the game there so Vincenti is the fall guy as MR looks to have things hinged on JJ doing something and being the spark while most balls are lumped to Vincenti in the hope of a flick on.

Vincenti is coping the punishment when he's being played in a unfavourable left role, when if anyone needs a "rest" it's JJ and nazon being deployed as the ball carrying left sided forward leaving Vincenti to do his game on the right.

Otis

You have to mark players down if they cannot distribute the ball correctly and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we bring Jack Grimmer in BECAUSE he was an attacking full back who could help support the attack?

You look how high we were playing up the park yesterday in the second half. Stokes was almost playing as a winger and Willis has to be so much better than that. Constantly whacking the ball downfield straight to the opposition is to our own detriment and it was the constant giving up possession back to them that cost us.

We didn't have that much defending to do yesterday. They should all be marked down, McDonald apart, who was the one player who stood out. Then Andreu too when he came on.

gspotgaz

First game of the season yesterday, not gunna lie that was utterly dreadful. Bar Andreu shot we didn't barely create a single chance. I get that this is league 2 but the passing completion rate must've been about 10/20% as well... was painful to watch.

Very slow going forward as well bar jones. Andreu looked sharp but not particularly pacey, he had to start ahead of beavon.

Adge

Thought the defence aside from McDonald were poor, although didn't think Grimmer was as low as a two or three that few people gave him.

The midfield created little, misplaced to many passes and Vincenti couldn't seem to win a header. The attack were devoid of service and were shackled well all game.

O'Brien 4
Grimmer 5
Willis 5
McDonald 7
Stokes 5
Jones 5
Kelly 5
Doyle 5
Vincenti 4
Beavon 5
McNulty 5

Subs
Andreu 7
Stevenson 5
Biamou 4

As for the subs, Andreu offered something different and I look forward to seeing him play more. I thought Stevenson was poor, misplaced passes, took the easy option too often and no real urgency to get forward, his confidence looks low. Biamou offered very little.
Agree about Stevenson-thought that after his abysmal showing against Blackburn that he had an opportunity to really stake a claim after the awful 60 or so minutes where we couldn't string a pass together. Offered nothing apart from sideways passing. Think the "blaze of glory" from last seasons 3 or 4 games when he first made an impression are well and truly gone. Think we need to realise that if you are not in the first 11 of of L2 side and not really making an impact the writing might be on the wall.

skybluetony176

Giving players scores of 2 and 3 is ridiculous, the defence wasn't even threatened once in 90 minutes.

What a joke thread this is. How can a goalkeeper get 2 for one mistake?

You're right. Other than kick it out which is routine he was only asked to do one thing and ballsed it up royally. 2 is too generous. Should be 1 for doing the routine stuff.

Adge

Willis is last seasons player...time to ship him out. Didn't seem connected. So slow making any decisions!
Get your tin hat ready! I have said the same about Willis, Burge and Haynes. Last seasons losers who should have been disposed off with the rest of the rubbish.

Esoterica

Agree about Stevenson-thought that after his abysmal showing against Blackburn that he had an opportunity to really stake a claim after the awful 60 or so minutes where we couldn't string a pass together. Offered nothing apart from sideways passing. Think the "blaze of glory" from last seasons 3 or 4 games when he first made an impression are well and truly gone. Think we need to realise that if you are not in the first 11 of of L2 side and not really making an impact the writing might be on the wall.
Ridiculously blinkered, you really do have a massive chip on your shoulder about our academy players. When Stevenson came on we finally started to build moves through midfield instead of going down the line because he actually played in the middle and always made himself available but when we already 1-0 down Newport played 9 men between the box and the edge of the centre circle. With no space at all and not much movement either the sideways passing was forced on him.

Last edited:

Moff

Ridiculously blinkered, you really do have a massive chip on your shoulder about our academy players. When Stevenson came on we finally started to build moves through midfield instead of going down the line because he actually played in the middle and always himself available but when we already 1-0 down Newport played 9 men between the box and the edge of the centre circle. With no space at all and not much movement either the sideways passing was forced on him.

Did you think Stevenson played well yesterday?
I like Stevenson but felt when he came on he offered very little, no incisive passing, no urgency, no pushing forward. I just feel he is lacking confidence and has gone slightly backwards since last year.
I want him to do well, I want him to flourish as it helps us, I just cant understand why the spark has dimmed in him a little.

Otis

You're right. Other than kick it out which is routine he was only asked to do one thing and ballsed it up royally. 2 is too generous. Should be 1 for doing the routine stuff.
Cost us 2 points that error and in a season that can be the difference between promotion and non promotion.

May seem harsh, but we have seen errors from RCC and Burge when put under a tiny little bit of pressure. Well there was no pressure at all with this one. It was from distance, no obstacles in the way, had a long time to see it, wasn't hit that hard and it was the most routine of routine saves.

I would say that needs at the very least 4 points taking off his score.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Newport had every man behind the ball and Beavon is completely the wrong option to get through a defence like that, he's got no pace whatsoever and can't get in behind.

Beavon and SISU Out

stupot07

I like Stevenson but felt when he came on he offered very little, no incisive passing, no urgency, no pushing forward. I just feel he is lacking confidence and has gone slightly backwards since last year.
I want him to do well, I want him to flourish as it helps us, I just cant understand why the spark has dimmed in him a little.
I didn't think he played great, but he helped drag the midfield forward 15-20 yards. He did improve our ball retention too. He does look as though he is struggling for confidence ming.

Esoterica

I thought he played well for his first 15 minutes and then another (wrong) tactical shift nullified him - rated him as 6 overall. For 15 minutes when he and Andreu came on we started to look like we might get back into it, Stevenson was able to hit Andreu's feet and he seemed to be the only forward with the first touch to make it stick. When Biamou came on Andreu got moved out left and Biamou just occupied the last defender. Stevenson no longer had a decent option showing themselves short and Doyle stopped passing to Stevenson and started punting long to Biamou.

Not saying he's in top form and he does look short of confidence (couple of times he could have shot but passed) but Robins fucked it 2nd half. Stevenson and Andreu for Beavon and Kelly were the right changes but should have been on at halftime. It was too late by the time we'd conceded. Then later on it should have been Duck on not Biamou.

steve82

I must admit I thought the changes were wrong yesterday and mistimed.

Andreu should of been introduced at half time in place of Beavon who was more isolated than anything as we were struggling to break down Newport as they defended in numbers and we lacked movement and ability to string a pass together. Andreu provided that link, moving between the lines to force things to happen in tight areas.
Stevenson for Kelly looked tactical and maybe a slight precaution as Kelly took a big hit not long before the change but Stevenson would add to our passing range... well that was the idea! It didn't happen.

And the Biamou for Willis change baffled me somewhat. 3 at the back looked like it had not been rehearsed and created positional problems when Newport countered on another stray ball. Personally I'd of changed JJ for Nazon, JJ was as ineffective as last year yesterday. Constantly shown onto his right by Newport and telegraphed his turns onto his left made him very easy to keep quiet. Twice he got his feet all tangled up landing heavily on his arse more spectacularly in the second half with the attempted shot. The lad needs a rest while he's still favoured, Nazon would of likely offered a threat as we rarely tried to get in the pockets behind the full backs or running at the defence.

A bad day at the office all round, test of the team and management is what they produce next.

shmmeee

I think we lack invention outside of Jones going forward as well, too many workman like forwards, not enough craft. For that alone I'd like to see Andreu and Nazon get a start.

Stevenson wasn’t spectacular, but he moved us up the pitch compared to Kelly. If he’d have been playing from the start it’d have been a closer game IMO.

Otis

I think we lack invention outside of Jones going forward as well, too many workman like forwards, not enough craft. For that alone I'd like to see Andreu and Nazon get a start.

Stevenson wasn’t spectacular, but he moved us up the pitch compared to Kelly. If he’d have been playing from the start it’d have been a closer game IMO.
After previously being impressed with him I thought Kelly was dreadful yesterday.

Adge

Ridiculously blinkered, you really do have a massive chip on your shoulder about our academy players. When Stevenson came on we finally started to build moves through midfield instead of going down the line because he actually played in the middle and always made himself available but when we already 1-0 down Newport played 9 men between the box and the edge of the centre circle. With no space at all and not much movement either the sideways passing was forced on him.
Blinkered? No not really, just telling you what I am seeing on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread