New Stadium - The pessimist's view... (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

So the times we had massive crowds against Chelsea and other big teams and the place was as flat as a pancake, the ground has always been soulless and has never felt like home
It was great until Dann fucked up about the only time in his City career in the first 15 mins to put them 1 up. We were never really in the game after that.

Nonleagueherewecome

I said it on GMK yearssss ago and I’ll say it again; The Ricoh is history. It was never home and it’s always looked like shite.

Over 23,000 when I was there and it was like a fucking morgue....

...and whoever ‘designed’ the west stand needs a floodlight up their arse. It looks like they ran out of seats so they filled it with leftover MDF
So you're saying an 18-20,000 stadium is too small too? ;)

Ring Of Steel

So the times we had massive crowds against Chelsea and other big teams and the place was as flat as a pancake, the ground has always been soulless and has never felt like home

they were one offs, people were there that hadn’t been to a game in years. You don’t get atmosphere like that, you get atmosphere from having more regular fans who aren’t just there for a day trip, and aren’t sitting there waiting to be “entertained”. What was the score in those ‘big games’? Virtually every time the place was full we failed to win. I’m surprised this isn’t obvious. The last few years at HR were absolutely dismal for atmosphere, the place was like a morgue up until the last few games, the Ricoh was the right choice, right design for the time- but we blew it big time by having a succession of bad teams play in it.

mr_monkey

they were one offs, people were there that hadn’t been to a game in years. You don’t get atmosphere like that, you get atmosphere from having more regular fans who aren’t just there for a day trip, and aren’t sitting there waiting to be “entertained”. What was the score in those ‘big games’? Virtually every time the place was full we failed to win. I’m surprised this isn’t obvious. The last few years at HR were absolutely dismal for atmosphere, the place was like a morgue up until the last few games, the Ricoh was the right choice, right design for the time- but we blew it big time by having a succession of bad teams play in it.

The Ricoh was only ever the right choice for Richardson and his mates

Ring Of Steel

It was great until Dann fucked up about the only time in his City career in the first 15 mins to put them 1 up. We were never really in the game after that.

this is it- people banging on about a lack of atmosphere, there was nothing to get behind. I’ve yet to hear of a ground where there’s a good atmosphere when the team playing on it are consistently trash.

if it felt soulless then that’s because we were soulless- as a club, as a set of fans, literally waiting for the next disaster, zero to look forward to, fed a constant stream of false dawns and promises. That shit will wear anyone down and it ain’t the fault of the ground.

Ring Of Steel

The Ricoh was only ever the right choice for Richardson and his mates

thats a totally different issue. You go on about these “big games”- name some. You’ll find that in the majority of cases we fucked up.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong to say that the Ricoh was all wrong and the entire reason for any lack of atmosphere, you need to look at what was happening on the pitch and behind the scenes, that’s where the real reasons lie. No other club ever went to a new ground like us and had such a procession of failures, not one.

mr_monkey

thats a totally different issue. You go on about these “big games”- name some. You’ll find that in the majority of cases we fucked up.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong to say that the Ricoh was all wrong and the entire reason for any lack of atmosphere, you need to look at what was happening on the pitch and behind the scenes, that’s where the real reasons lie. No other club ever went to a new ground like us and had such a procession of failures, not one.

The atmosphere was shit when we were fighting for the champ playoffs with Adams in charge, was again with the mowbray team, I don't understand why you have such affinity for the Ricoh, even the first game Vs qpr the atmosphere was shite due to the layout and location of the stadium

usskyblue

Remember? We went, along with loads of GMKers.

It was a new season in the Championship and there was a buzz because our ‘brand new stadium’ was only a month old.

They had to limit the attendance because of safety issues outside the ground. 23,000 odd fans were there...and I sat there all the game....thinking how fucking shit the atmosphere was, even after we equalized in the 83rd minute.

I remember looking at the West Stand and thinking ‘wtf is that?’

Ring Of Steel

Remember? We went, along with loads of GMKers.

It was a new season in the Championship and there was a buzz because our ‘brand new stadium’ was only a month old.

They had to limit the attendance because of safety issues outside the ground. 23,000 odd fans were there...and I sat there all the game....thinking how fucking shit the atmosphere was, even after we equalized in the 83rd minute.

I remulooking at the West Stand and thinking ‘wtf is that?’

yes I remember, however I also remember Reading fans saying how impressed they were with the atmosphere, so I guess everyone’s different.

Ring Of Steel

The atmosphere was shit when we were fighting for the champ playoffs with Adams in charge, was again with the mowbray team, I don't understand why you have such affinity for the Ricoh, even the first game Vs qpr the atmosphere was shite due to the layout and location of the stadium

Don’t be silly, we never challenged for any playoffs under Adams, we jumped to 8th on the last day after other teams lost, but at no stage were we fighting for the playoffs. And how long did the good run under Mowbray last?

I have no massive affinity to the Ricoh but when people just make things up I’ll correct them. The atmosphere comes from the fans, not the “layout and location” of the stadium, and if the fans have nothing then you’re not going to have a decent atmosphere, whether you’re in an 18k modular stadium or a 32k fancy arena.

I went to Stoke loads before they went up- every season and it was freezing cold, windy, half empty, silent, miles from anywhere. Chuck them a bit of success and all of a sudden their ground was consistently “loudest in the Premier League”. Our pals up the M69 moaned for years about their crap atmosphere and pined for Filbert St and we had a field day taking the piss at their silent ground. Chuck a league championship & success in and all of a sudden everyone is talking about the “special atmosphere at the King Power”. And the Ricoh is better than both those grounds... but never had any consistent success to attract people and give them something to shout about.

it ain’t rocket science, and it was never a Ricoh thing, it was a club & fans thing.

Last edited:

aloisijohnnyaloisi

Don’t be silly, we never challenged for any playoffs under Adams, we jumped to 8th on the last day after other teams lost, but at no stage were we fighting for the playoffs. And how long did the good run under Mowbray last?

I have no massive affinity to the Ricoh but when people just make things up I’ll correct them. The atmosphere comes from the fans, not the “layout and location” of the stadium, and if the fans have nothing then you’re not going to have a decent atmosphere, whether you’re in an 18k modular stadium or a 32k fancy arena.

I went to Stoke loads before they went up- every season and it was freezing cold, windy, half empty, silent, miles from anywhere. Chuck them a bit of success and all of a sudden their ground is consistently “loudest in the Premier League”. Our pals up the M69 moaned for years about their crap atmosphere and pined for Filbert St and we had a field day taking the piss at their silent ground. Chuck a league championship & success in and all of a sudden everyone is talking about the “special atmosphere at the King Power”. And the Ricoh is better than both those grounds... but never had any consistent success to attract people and give them something to shout about.

it ain’t rocket science, and it was never a Ricoh thing, it was a club & fans thing.

The Ricoh was nothing but a legacy project by those in charge at the time and it will always be too big for us.

Lots of empty seats = shit atmosphere.

I’m starting to think you might actually be Bryan Richardson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

The Ricoh was nothing but a legacy project by those in charge at the time and it will always be too big for us.

Lots of empty seats = shit atmosphere.

I’m starting to think you might actually be Bryan Richardson.

Too big forever lol, you’re one of those guys, I see. You may need to look back at our history then reassess that view, but ok.

You’re right on one thing- lots of empty seats = shit atmosphere. What you fail to do is ask why there were lots of empty seats, seeing as whenever there was a ‘big game’ or ticket deal the place was close to full. The fanbase was and is there, a reason for them to turn up was not. The Ricoh is too big for a League One/ League Two club coming off several decades of failure aside from a couple of seasons, not too big though though for a Championship team on the up who can find 40k+ fans the minute they smell some success on the way.

Your bile and distaste for Bryan Richardson may well be well placed, but it’s bugger all to do with the atmosphere in the ground that was built 4 years after he left

Ring Of Steel

Exactly what about the Ricoh gives you a boner? (postcode aside).

It was a huge project that ran out of money, had to ditch all innovations and ended up looking like shit.... held together with blu-tack.

Nothing, however these silly statements about atmosphere all being the fault of the ground are stupid. It’s like the last few decades were a mirage and people expected the 25k to return all pumped up and loud straight after watching us get battered 4-1, and the fact they didn’t is entirely down to the ground. Or are we truly an anomaly in that we are the only club in the country who moved grounds and ended up with a ‘soulless bowl’? How come literally every other club in our bracket made it work in grounds not as good & just as far out of town? Simple answer- they had something to shout about. It’s not the ground that is somehow vastly inferior, it’s the team & the club that were vastly inferior.

usskyblue

Nothing, however these silly statements about atmosphere all being the fault of the ground are stupid. It’s like the last few decades were a mirage and people expected the 25k to return all pumped up and loud straight after watching us get battered 4-1, and the fact they didn’t is entirely down to the ground. Or are we truly an anomaly in that we are the only club in the country who moved grounds and ended up with a ‘soulless bowl’? How come literally every other club in our bracket made it work in grounds not as good & just as far out of town? Simple answer- they had something to shout about.

We had something to shout about !

It was the fucking Ricoh...a brand new season - a brand new stadium - a brand new unrealistic sense of optimism.

And, compared to the hype, the Ricoh actually looked like fucking shit from the get-go ...and 23,000 expectant fans might as well have been 3,000.

The Ricoh is a fucking curse.... and it needs to be history.

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

It was the fucking Ricoh...a brand new season - a brand new stadium - a brand new unrealistic sense of optimism.

And, compared to the hype, .the Ricoh actually looked like fucking shit from the get-go ...and 23,000 expectant fans might as well have been 3,000.

That may be true, it wasn’t exactly a lucky ground- but a different issue entirely to whether it had atmosphere or why people didn’t go- two different things. A sense of optimism? Not really, it was only a ground and we were already in dire straits with Adams surviving (admirably) on freebies and playing neanderthal style football. Today there’s optimism alright, but back then although there was the novelty of a new ground there was nothing to back it up. We had a poor season, fluked upon a decent style when Hutchison was forced to come on, then had a decent run without ever looking likely to be promoted and came 8th. No serious grounds for optimism, and then the circus really came to town with SISU.

Hate to say it, but there are plenty of people who would argue that it’s the owners who are the curse that needs to be got shot of, not the Ricoh.

usskyblue

Hate to say it, but there are plenty of people who would argue that it’s the owners who are the curse that needs to be got shot of, not the Ricoh.

I hate to say it ..but do you mean the owners that sold HR, built a ‘soulless bowl’ and in the process put us in a financial nightmare?

And before I get the standard reply... SISU have a shit record.

Nonleagueherewecome

And, compared to the hype, the Ricoh actually looked like fucking shit from the get-go ...and 23,000 expectant fans might as well have been 3,000.

Ha remember the builders sand everywhere?! They didn't even clear it up properly all season...

I had a cracking day personally: was the guest of someone with a box, my Arsenal mate went for one of only two games I've managed to drag him to, we got to go on the pitch before kick off and got hammered on complimentary drinks. Then Claus pretended to be Houchen and Dele hammered the QPR bastards we'd been fighting with in Spain. Great times!

Ring Of Steel

I hate to say it ..but do you mean the owners that sold HR, built a ‘soulless bowl’ and in the process put us in a financial nightmare?

And before I get the standard reply... SISU have a shit record.

No, no standard replies (not sure what they are anyway) this isn’t looking for a continuation of the SISU debate at all, it’s just pointing out that the Ricoh was not the driver of poor atmosphere & low crowds, the decisions made by the owners impacting what happened on the pitch were the main reason. You know, I know, everyone knows that had we been promoted back to the Prem then hardly anyone would be moaning about the atmosphere in the Ricoh, we are no different to any other club in that success & a ‘cause’ to fight for brings more & louder fans, and that brings atmosphere. That’s my point- purely going after the Ricoh as the root of all our problems in terms of support & atmosphere at games is spectacularly missing the bigger picture.

shmmeee

Don't know about the figures but there's definitely a large Chinese / South-East Asian contingent around the university. I can't see anyone being banned from coming here though.

Uni stats say 30-something percent “Asian” across all students so I’d be very surprised if 60% of those are overseas Chinese students. Especially as I met tons of British Asians (as in Indian/Pakistani/etc as opposed to Chinese). I’m struggling to remember seeing any Chinese students around campus.

mark82

Could happen-it's their government that may do it as a sanction:

Of course, they might not want to come anyway now as we're shit at social distancing and it's put them off, as reported last week:

Do you know if they stopped them going to US universities? US restrictions on Chinese companies are greater than here. Could just be rhetoric.

Nick

Administrator
A quick Google tells me that MK Dons managed to do it on a £30m budget. Also their stadium is built for potential future expansion which is something we should do, just in case the Robbins juggernaut continues to the promised land.

Of course fans make the atmosphere, but stadiums can be designed to keep the noise in. The Ricoh was never designed to hold a good atmosphere, and having 2/3 of the seats empty every week obviously doesn’t help. The truth is we’re very rarely gonna have anywhere near a full house at the Ricoh, it’s much too big for us. A more compact ground with potential for expansion would be perfect.

Agree with your final point, would hate for it to be like Shrewsbury’s.

MK Dons have nice, spacious seats.

Could imagine a complex like theirs with a McDonalds and whatever chains are still running by then over by the Uni. Even a cinema, the closest to them is probably Leamington, Skydome or Walsgrave isn't it?

ajsccfc

MK Dons have nice, spacious seats.

Could imagine a complex like theirs with a McDonalds and whatever chains are still running by then over by the Uni. Even a cinema, the closest to them is probably Leamington, Skydome or Walsgrave isn't it?

Arts Centre on campus is currently undergoing a big upgrade, although I don't think it'll ever be the Marvel films and blockbusters kind of place

Nick

Administrator
Arts Centre on campus is currently undergoing a big upgrade, although I don't think it'll ever be the Marvel films and blockbusters kind of place

To be honest, I haven't been there for a while. I know they were decent for things like Comedy etc. Did they show films etc?

Was just thinking a cinema might do well with people from that side of town / students.

If they do build a cinema now, it's purely because they have seen this and I want 5%.

clint van damme

Do you know if they stopped them going to US universities? US restrictions on Chinese companies are greater than here. Could just be rhetoric.

I think any action China takes will be directed towards UK companies with interests in China.

Ring Of Steel

It would be interesting to poll everybody saying "We need 30,000 else it's a lack of ambition" to see how many games they have been to recently?

Yes, but we could also ask how, as an example, Stoke went from 16k to selling out 28k every match in one season, while seemingly transforming their ground from a hated soulless bowl to a loud cauldron which teams hated going to. Success is the answer. We are on the right trajectory, so while I don't think anyone is saying we need 30k immediately, building the 48th biggest ground in the country and 4th smallest in the division (for a team that can produce 40,000 fans instantly when success comes calling) is pretty strange.

Nick

Administrator
Yes, but we could also ask how, as an example, Stoke went from 16k to selling out 28k every match in one season, while seemingly transforming their ground from a hated soulless bowl to a loud cauldron which teams hated going to. Success is the answer. We are on the right trajectory, so while I don't think anyone is saying we need 30k immediately, building the 48th biggest ground in the country and 4th smallest in the division (for a team that can produce 40,000 fans when success comes calling) is pretty strange.

That's why you make something modular so it can be upgraded.

There's no point building a 40,000 seater stadium based on one off attendances at Wembley, then it would be soulless when 15K turn up and half of it is closed.

Stoke had a big increase because they went up to the Premier League. If it was an easily expandable stadium then that could be dealt with when it happened.

Ring Of Steel

That's why you make something modular so it can be upgraded.

There's no point building a 40,000 seater stadium based on one off attendances at Wembley, then it would be soulless when 15K turn up and half of it is closed.

Stoke had a big increase because they went up to the Premier League. If it was an easily expandable stadium then that could be dealt with when it happened.

Who said 40,000?

18,000 to 20,000 capacity means about 15,000 home tickets, some of which will be VIP/ press- assume even basic facilities and thats probably about 14,000 sellable tickets for home fans- nowhere near enough.

I get the logic and sense behind not going stupid, but for where we are now 20,000 home tickets would have been about right.

Nick

Administrator
Who said 40,000?

18,000 to 20,000 capacity means about 15,000 home tickets, some of which will be VIP/ press- assume even basic facilities and thats probably about 14,000 sellable tickets for home fans- nowhere near enough.

Everybody had better get their season tickets ordered then and a sell out every game, better atmosphere.

Then if we got promoted to the Premier League then it could be looked at adding a few more thousand seats.

The way to show it isn't enough is to sell out every game next season when we can go back, that would make them think then.

Ring Of Steel

Everybody had better get their season tickets ordered then and a sell out every game, better atmosphere.

Then if we got promoted to the Premier League then it could be looked at adding a few more thousand seats.

The way to show it isn't enough is to sell out every game next season when we can go back, that would make them think then.

It would make them think , unfortunately due to the views held by many that ain't going to happen is it.

However if we somehow mounted a promotion push it would happen & the missing thousands would overcome their personal views- which takes us back to the original point, that the Ricoh was never the issue begind empty seats and atmosphere, the dross on the green bit in the middle was the issue.

ajsccfc

To be honest, I haven't been there for a while. I know they were decent for things like Comedy etc. Did they show films etc?

Was just thinking a cinema might do well with people from that side of town / students.

If they do build a cinema now, it's purely because they have seen this and I want 5%.

Yeah, they have a fairly modest cinema that showed more independent and classic stuff along with kids films around Christmas. it's closed currently while the building work's going on but I don't believe they're expanding or adding to it. Don't know if they'd go for a competing facility though

6399-fitandcrop-890x502.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread