New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (3 Viewers)

Grendel

Mcbean

Fuckme if the government is considering intervention for 2500 homes because of congestion - we are looking at a 3500 home site Near us with B Road access call me a nimby but there are no jobs in the area and you have to use a car - green far from it - should be a shoe in for Warwick Uni area To have the stadium ! I’m all for it :D

wingy

Yeah it will be. Their complaints are ridiculous and basically boil down to “but I don’t want it”.
They will likely be in for further pain as eventually the parcel left from the new rd will come up for filling in as they always do.

shmmeee

Fuckme if the government is considering intervention for 2500 homes because of congestion - we are looking at a 3500 home site Near us with B Road access call me a nimby but there are no jobs in the area and you have to use a car - green far from it - should be a shoe in for Warwick Uni area To have the stadium ! I’m all for it :D

Get with the times! We’re all working from home now!

shmmeee

They will likely be in for further pain as eventually the parcel left from the new rd will come up for filling in as they always do.

It’s ridiculous. What do they think was here before someone built half of Finham? They want things preserved in aspic and have had to reach for straws like traffic to justify it.

chiefdave

Yeah it will be. Their complaints are ridiculous and basically boil down to “but I don’t want it”.
Can't build houses because a few people on Green Lane don't want their view spoilt. Got no chance. Not like there's even access to the land at the moment so you could at least argue you were losing use of something. One of the councillors who is objecting knocked on my door canvassing and said it wasn't needed as it could be built elsewhere. I asked where and predictably there was no answer.

They're already started on the access to the site haven't they? Assumed that's what was going on by the roundabout on Stoneleigh Hill.

ccfcchris

When we won at Spurs a few years ago to stay up that gave me really bad vertigo. Seemed incredibly steep. Wasn't comfortable at all.

Covkid1968#

Looks like something that's 3d printed.
Been to it a few times.... I love it. Huge bar outside with a great atmosphere....everyone is caged in though

Sussex Boy

Like they do at Brighton. Bars open for hours before and after the game to let people leave in a more relaxed way. And the club make more dollars!
As a Brighton fan I echo this. We don't have any pubs at the Amex, so many fans arrive at the stadium bar at 1pm and stay until 6.30pm. Eases congestion hugely and like you said, spins a pretty penny for the club. In fact, my dad and I tempered how often we went to the Amex a few seasons back due to how much you end up spending enjoying yourself on a matchday! Alternatively, many people still go to Brighton or Lewes to drink beforehand and then get public transport to the ground, so this could still be done in Coventry, Kenilworth and Leamington.

I studied/lived/worked at Warwick Uni for 8 years until 2018 and thus have a big soft spot for the Sky Blues. I almost stalled the car when I heard this announcement when listening to the Price of Football podcast on the way home from work. I understand that you would all be at the very least cautious in your optimism due to recent years, but I am beyond excited for you guys if this goes through. I'd slightly mourn the loss of more green space at the University as when I joined in 2010 it had a lot more than it does now - however, at least this time it would be for a more than worthy cause!

All the best. #PUSB

Last edited:

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Get with the times! We’re all working from home now!
This is the obvious counterargument to the 'traffic' complaint. Has anyone seen any estimates of % of people now permanently working from home and how much traffic this would remove from rush hour?

Sick Boy

As a Brighton fan I echo this. We don't have any pubs at the Amex, so many fans arrive at the stadium bar at 1pm and stay until 6.30pm. Eases congestion hugely and like you said, spins a pretty penny for the club. In fact, my dad and I tempered how often we went to the Amex a few seasons back due to how much you end up spending enjoying yourself on a matchday! Alternatively, many people still go to Brighton or Lewes to drink beforehand and then get public transport to the ground, so this could still be done in Coventry, Kenilworth and Leamington.

I studied/lived/worked at Warwick Uni for 8 years until 2018 and thus have a big soft spot for the Sky Blues. I almost stalled the car when I heard this announcement when listening to the Price of Football podcast on the way home from work. I understand that you would all be at the very least cautious in your optimism due to recent years, but I am beyond excited for you guys if this goes through. I'd slightly mourn the loss of more green space at the University as when I joined in 2010 it had a lot more than it does now - however, at least this time it would be for a more than worthy cause!

All the best. #PUSB
I moved to Brighton and went to Sussex Uni in 2005 and lived there until last year so have seen the transformation that the Amex has had on the club and the city as a whole, it should definitely be a model that we look to follow as well.

Brighton Sky Blue

All the best. #PUSB

When I lived in Brighton I drank in the Railway Bell before the Cov game. Won’t forget being told ‘we think you’re scum, but we respect ya’ for wearing a City shirt in there!

Magwitch

Forgetting all the above isn’t it about time this complaint to the EU was heard how long has it been now ? the result of which id think should be very significant.

Orca

Forgetting all the above isn’t it about time this complaint to the EU was heard how long has it been now ? the result of which id think should be very significant.

Looking at the recent list of cases, I'd say they've been a bit busy with Covid.

ovduk78

St James Park has some rather steep inclines
Has anyone been in the upper tier at Goodison? I went with a couple of mates to watch Man City play there in the league cup in th 90's & the away fans were in it. I was happy that they didn't score, I reckon when you were sitting your knees were level with the guy in front's shoulders!!

chiefdave

Can't see much chance of getting anything steep past health and safety. The top tier seats at the O2 come with a warning and they are nowhere near as steep as some of the stands being shown here in other countries.

kapowaz

Can't build houses because a few people on Green Lane don't want their view spoilt. Got no chance. Not like there's even access to the land at the moment so you could at least argue you were losing use of something. One of the councillors who is objecting knocked on my door canvassing and said it wasn't needed as it could be built elsewhere. I asked where and predictably there was no answer.

They're already started on the access to the site haven't they? Assumed that's what was going on by the roundabout on Stoneleigh Hill.

There’s two main components here — the A46 Strategic Link Road, and the new A46 Stoneleigh Roundabout. Both of these are already in the advanced planning stages and in the latter case already has £18m of funding allocated for it. Then there’s the Coventry South railway station (which would be walking-adjacent to the new King’s Hill development). It’s pretty clear from reading the plans that this is not only a thought-out but well-funded development for the area. NIMBYs can NIMBY all they want, but I think if anything it’ll make the area better for them to have a local railway station and VLR nearby, even if it comes at the cost of a view of some fields.

Nick

Administrator
That A46 roundabout can't come soon enough, it'll make my commute in an absolute dream.

Where's that going to be?

At the minute I guess you come off further down, go up that posh road and to the cross roads / roundabout or whatever it is now?

shmmeee

There’s two main components here — the A46 Strategic Link Road, and the new A46 Stoneleigh Roundabout. Both of these are already in the advanced planning stages and in the latter case already has £18m of funding allocated for it. Then there’s the Coventry South railway station (which would be walking-adjacent to the new King’s Hill development). It’s pretty clear from reading the plans that this is not only a thought-out but well-funded development for the area. NIMBYs can NIMBY all they want, but I think if anything it’ll make the area better for them to have a local railway station and VLR nearby, even if it comes at the cost of a view of some fields.

Problem is the people complaining are retirees who care more about their dog walks than their commute to work.

ajsccfc

Where's that going to be?

At the minute I guess you come off further down, go up that posh road and to the cross roads / roundabout or whatever it is now?

Unless I'm way off it's this awful junction that will become a roundabout

53NMlta.png

I go through Cheylesmore and past the Memorial onto Kenilworth Rd at the minute which isn't that bad really, but with this we're talking a half hour drive cut in half if the gridlock queues disperse as they should. I'll be honest, my pants are twitching at the prospect

ajsccfc

The mini roundabout they put in where Kenilworth Rd meets Gibbet Hill/Stoneleigh a few years ago too, was great for me but in the morning has made it a complete arse for people coming from the Kenilworth direction

Sky Blue Pete

The mini roundabout they put in where Kenilworth Rd meets Gibbet Hill/Stoneleigh a few years ago too, was great for me but in the morning has made it a complete arse for people coming from the Kenilworth direction
Yep that’s true. Road planners have such a hard job to think about unintended consequences

NorthernWisdom

Unless I'm way off it's this awful junction that will become a roundabout

53NMlta.png

I go through Cheylesmore and past the Memorial onto Kenilworth Rd at the minute which isn't that bad really, but with this we're talking a half hour drive cut in half if the gridlock queues disperse as they should. I'll be honest, my pants are twitching at the prospect
Will be hell on earth while they do it, mind!

NorthernWisdom

tbf if I moved somewhere because it had some fields, I'd want to keep the fields...

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is the obvious counterargument to the 'traffic' complaint. Has anyone seen any estimates of % of people now permanently working from home and how much traffic this would remove from rush hour?

It may have already been mentioned but weekdays you've got all the students, lecturers, staff etc on site which is going to massively reduce for a weekend which the Cov fans would take the place of. Even events at the Arts Centre would likely be later in the evenings and at most would add another 3-4k. Biggest issue IMO would be weekday evening games when you'd have a changeover from uni to match.

Users who are viewing this thread