New hotel at Ricoh (1 Viewer)

theferret

Not sure this is in the right place Nick, so please feel free to move it.

I notice that a planning application has been submitted to CCC for a new hotel at the Ricoh. It is not on car park C though, it is on Judds Lane opposite car park A. Can't say for sure, but don't think this has anything to do with ACL/Wasps. The hotel will be a Marriot 'Moxy' hotel, and there'll also be a MacDonalds. I suppose at the very least it will provide an extra place to have a drink when/if we return.

Planning app is here: http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=804268

ccfcway

You sure it’s a new hotel ?.

Any chance that it will look like a hotel and then on launch day, the cover will be ripped off and highfield road 2 is revealed ?

chiefdave

Can't say for sure, but don't think this has anything to do with ACL/Wasps.
Surely its got to be linked with ACL / Wasps / CCC. They've been trying for years to get another hotel on site.

As funny as it would be it would be spectacular incompetence to be unable to get that project moved forward while someone builds one literally next to the site.

chiefdave

The company that have put in the application have only one director listed. If you google him you can find his Instagram which is full of pictures of him at Wasps games so would be surprised if this isn't linked to Wasps. Seems odd to build it there and not on the site they agreed a lease with CCC for (car park C).

vow

I thought Poxy
giphy.gif

shmmeee

The company that have put in the application have only one director listed. If you google him you can find his Instagram which is full of pictures of him at Wasps games so would be surprised if this isn't linked to Wasps. Seems odd to build it there and not on the site they agreed a lease with CCC for (car park C).

I know they haven’t got many fans, but I don’t think every single one of them is a board member!

By this logic Chelsea are also involved!
() Abramovich to buy out Joy!!

The guy has been in property investment and business around Birmingham for ages it seems.

clint van damme

bit of a strange location, I know there is need for more hotels in Cov but surely they could have found a better location than that?
Anyone know how the one a the Ricoh performs?

shmmeee

bit of a strange location, I know there is need for more hotels in Cov but surely they could have found a better location than that?
Anyone know how the one a the Ricoh performs?

I dunno. Lots of events at the Ricoh, reasonably close for Brum stuff like the NEC.

Hilton themselves seem to be doing OK. Doubt they release data on individual locations.

CovUpNorth

Not sure this is in the right place Nick, so please feel free to move it.

I notice that a planning application has been submitted to CCC for a new hotel at the Ricoh. It is not on car park C though, it is on Judds Lane opposite car park A. Can't say for sure, but don't think this has anything to do with ACL/Wasps. The hotel will be a Marriot 'Moxy' hotel, and there'll also be a MacDonalds. I suppose at the very least it will provide an extra place to have a drink when/if we return.

Planning app is here: Coventry City Council: Planning Application Details
A strawberry thick shake ?

theferret

A strawberry thick shake ?

That's one option, the other being the overpriced piss they'll serve in the hotel bar.

Hopefully the developers who have bought the old Rowleys Green Social Club site will now proceed with the plans for a pub rather than the fast food restaurant. They have permission for either, but the Macdonalds proposed in this app make that less likely.

Much as I'd like to think we'll build our own ground, it ain't happening, so a few more places to get a drink near the Ricoh will be welcome.

robbiethemole

Is this on the old scrap yard site? The Chinese consortium of several years ago were going to build a hotel,snow dome and leisure centre there weren't they?

shmmeee

That's one option, the other being the overpriced piss they'll serve in the hotel bar.

Hopefully the developers who have bought the old Rowleys Green Social Club site will now proceed with the plans for a pub rather than the fast food restaurant. They have permission for either, but the Macdonalds proposed in this app make that less likely.

Much as I'd like to think we'll build our own ground, it ain't happening, so a few more places to get a drink near the Ricoh will be welcome.

I dunno, lots of places do follow the leader. A Maccys might actually encourage other fast food.

Skyblueweeman

I dunno. Lots of events at the Ricoh, reasonably close for Brum stuff like the NEC.

Hilton themselves seem to be doing OK. Doubt they release data on individual locations.

Hilton are doing very, very well but you're right...public disclosure on specific locations isn't really on the agenda.

As for the DTbH at the Ricoh already, as mentioned before, it's run on a franchise agreement...Hilton don't own it, ACL/Wasps own it so if any information was to be released on performance, it would come from them, not Hilton.

Back on topic, I'm at a loss to explain why ACL/Wasps would need another hotel when they already own one on site. My guess (and maybe someone like OSB might be able to clarify further) is that ACL/Wasps have sold part of the land to developers and won't have anything to do with, unless there's a contractual element that states that on top of a purchase fee, they're entitled to a % of revenues/profits going forward.

Given the apparent financial woes at Wasps, it would be non-sensical of them to be involved with another hotel on site which makes me think that the selling off of this piece of land for a new development, might be the logic behind it. Gives them a cash boost in terms of the land sale and helps them attract more residential events to the Arena with more bed stock on site.

Grendel

Hilton are doing very, very well but you're right...public disclosure on specific locations isn't really on the agenda.

As for the DTbH at the Ricoh already, as mentioned before, it's run on a franchise agreement...Hilton don't own it, ACL/Wasps own it so if any information was to be released on performance, it would come from them, not Hilton.

Back on topic, I'm at a loss to explain why ACL/Wasps would need another hotel when they already own one on site. My guess (and maybe someone like OSB might be able to clarify further) is that ACL/Wasps have sold part of the land to developers and won't have anything to do with, unless there's a contractual element that states that on top of a purchase fee, they're entitled to a % of revenues/profits going forward.

Given the apparent financial woes at Wasps, it would be non-sensical of them to be involved with another hotel on site which makes me think that the selling off of this piece of land for a new development, might be the logic behind it. Gives them a cash boost in terms of the land sale and helps them attract more residential events to the Arena with more bed stock on site.

They don’t own the land?

CovUpNorth

that area was always an eye sore. Once they’ve finished the work we can return a celebrate with a Big Mac meal!!

shmmeee

Didn’t know that about franchising, fair enough.

As for this application, the land is all owned by the planning applicant, literally the only reason people think Wasps are involved is because the guy who owns the DevCo has a picture of himself at the game. Far more likely some commercial developer has seen the opportunity in a site with low rateable values in a decent location.

If ACL wanted to develop something it’s make far more sense to use the land they own that’s already empty.

fernandopartridge

There have been previous applications here but more speculative than this one. It isn't good news for Wasps though as it doesn't help their own plans for a hotel on the car park. Wonder whether their marketing the site and presumably (in their way) asking for a King's ransom they've alerted a developer to cheaper sites with similar credentials?

stupot07

So this planning application got rejected on the 27/11/2019, yet Wasps Hotel planning application has just been but on show and has council backing...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tisza

So this new 150 bedroom hotel will create 30 jobs. Going to be some long shifts for some:)
Also the supposed benefit to the local economy seems to 25% less per year than the other proposed hotel had offered.
Does have the feel of the council trying to do anything to prop up wasps and justify their stadium decision.

jordan210

How convenient that they had the lease extended just in time to get a planning application in

So I assume this one will be rejected for the same reasons.......

"Coventry City Council refused the plans, principally due to its location being in an ‘out of centre’ site.

There were also concerns that it could add to traffic at peak times and during major events at the Ricoh."

So the hotel will be a Hilton the same as the hotel on site. If this gets planning permission CCC might aswell just rebadge as wasps and not hide their bias

stupot07

So this new 150 bedroom hotel will create 30 jobs. Going to be some long shifts for some:)
Also the supposed benefit to the local economy seems to 25% less per year than the other proposed hotel had offered.
Does have the feel of the council trying to do anything to prop up wasps and justify their stadium decision.
The other developed was going to create 68 jobs.

stupot07

How convenient that they had the lease extended just in time to get a planning application in

So I assume this one will be rejected for the same reasons.......

"Coventry City Council refused the plans, principally due to its location being in an ‘out of centre’ site.

There were also concerns that it could add to traffic at peak times and during major events at the Ricoh."

So the hotel will be a Hilton the same as the hotel on site. If this gets planning permission CCC might aswell just rebadge as wasps and not hide their bias
Already being back by the council..

Councillor Jim O'Boyle, cabinet member for jobs and regeneration, said: "This is great news. A hotel has always been part of the wider plan for the whole development, so I'm glad to see this progress.

"I'm sure it will enable the team to secure even more brilliant events at the Ricoh and of course it will create new jobs for local people."

jordan210

Already being back by the council..

Councillor Jim O'Boyle, cabinet member for jobs and regeneration, said: "This is great news. A hotel has always been part of the wider plan for the whole development, so I'm glad to see this progress.

"I'm sure it will enable the team to secure even more brilliant events at the Ricoh and of course it will create new jobs for local people."

Indeed he has been pushing this hotel for wasps for a while. Also it appears he is a big rugby fan and doesn't appear to have ever mentioned City.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread