Nationalism (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

we are far more wfh than Europe on this though aren’t we?

What’s that got to do with anything? Why should we care what other countries are doing? And last I checked Sweden started from a base WFH of something ridiculous like 30%

skybluetony176

What’s that got to do with anything? Why should we care what other countries are doing? And last I checked Sweden started from a base WFH of something ridiculous like 30%
All the Scandinavian countries do. Work life balance is one of the major factors why they always rank top of the UN‘s world happiness table and working from home is a big part of that.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Great opportunity for companies to save money on office space and work from home now in all seriousness, some smaller companies could save a fortune in rent etc

Good for families aswell, positives all round
Good for the environment, good for local economies.
It's bad news for the property speculators hence the big push grim the right wing press. Fuck them.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Good for the environment, good for local economies.
It's bad news for the property speculators hence the big push grim the right wing press. Fuck them.

I agree. They're talking about the death of High Streets (which began long before this) but ignoring the local community shops that will have been doing better.

IMO would be far better to reconsider city centre's/CBD's as less as the business hub and more like a new housing development but with a few more visitors for historic bits/museums/entertainment etc. Lose a lot of the retail/office space in exchange for residential development with smaller shops at ground floor level to serve the residents with some larger shops as well as restaurants and cafes for the extra footfall.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is interesting. About how the different generations earnings compare to their parents. Its the US but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar here.

Some of it in the early years will be due to spending longer in education than their parents but the days of a decent wage for unskilled work are gone.

chiefdave

I agree. They're talking about the death of High Streets (which began long before this) but ignoring the local community shops that will have been doing better.
This is a chance to reset and look for a better way of doing things but the highest priority for the government seems to be ensure landlords can continue to charge for huge city centre rents and the likes of Pret and Costa continue to make a fortune.

Shows once again just how fragile our economic system. Seems like those making the big decisions would rather risk the whole house of cards come crashing down than risk the money not flowing to the top in ever increasing amounts.

Perfectly summed up by two articles, both on the BBC site today.

D

Deleted member 4439

Just picking on some of the earlier posts, I've just been reading a piece around the 50th anniversary of Paranoid's release this Friday.

“In those days, the working person’s mentality went like this,” shared Osbourne in his 2010 memoir I Am Ozzy. “You got what little education you could, you found an apprenticeship, they gave you a shit job, and then you took pride in it even though it was a shit job. And then you did that same shit job for the rest of your life. Your shit job was everything.

Yup, that seemed to be how it was for me.

Users who are viewing this thread