Nationalism (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

I actually feel far more relaxed just going outside for a walk or a bit of exercise. I hate phones and always have, but I have to have one in case someone needs to discuss something or inform me of something. I long for the days when I could just walk to work rather than sit in traffic etc because I need to go somewhere.

I'd love to go back to that less technological, slower pace of life. But it's not an option.
Could not agree with this more. Always on culture is a nightmare. You can never relax.

In my job there is no question you should be available 24/7/365 to respond to calls, emails and teams. All of which are installed on my personal mobile as that's a requirement of the job. You're required to have a smartphone to install apps used by the company and you don't even get the cost of calls etc covered.

Checked with my Dad today and in nearly 50 years of working at Courtaulds he was contacted outside work once. And that was when there was a fire in a basement where there was a storeroom he had the only key to and they wanted to check if there was any chemicals that were likely to explode. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable call to receive.

Same with commuting, its become an expected thing. Sometimes I get calls from recruitment agents and they're amazed I want to work in the city I live in and won't happily commute to Leicester or Wolverhampton. Its bad enough as it is, leave the house at 7am and get back at 7pm if I'm lucky. Need shorter days not longer ones!

Sick Boy

Could not agree with this more. Always on culture is a nightmare. You can never relax.

In my job there is no question you should be available 24/7/365 to respond to calls, emails and teams. All of which are installed on my personal mobile as that's a requirement of the job. You're required to have a smartphone to install apps used by the company and you don't even get the cost of calls etc covered.

Checked with my Dad today and in nearly 50 years of working at Courtaulds he was contacted outside work once. And that was when there was a fire in a basement where there was a storeroom he had the only key to and they wanted to check if there was any chemicals that were likely to explode. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable call to receive.

Same with commuting, its become an expected thing. Sometimes I get calls from recruitment agents and they're amazed I want to work in the city I live in and won't happily commute to Leicester or Wolverhampton. Its bad enough as it is, leave the house at 7am and get back at 7pm if I'm lucky. Need shorter days not longer ones!
Yeah I definitely agree with that, the line between work and free time has definitely disappeared - I hope you're on a decent salary for what they're asking. I am working on the side to setup my own business because of this, tired of being mentally available 24/7 to make someone else rich.

D

Deleted member 4439

I wouldn’t have put 1960 in with the Boomers but meh

Well, funny you say that, I almost added that, as someone born in 1960, I'd never quite seen myself as a boomer. Punk amongst us 16-year-olds seemed to underscore that feeling. Mind you, not sure how Billy Idol and his mates got to call his band GenX

Marty

I think you're foolish if you are willing to make yourself available 24/7, just remember, if you got hit by a bus tomorrow, you'd be replaced before your body was even cold and your boss probably wouldn't even care.

Sick Boy

I think you're foolish if you are willing to make yourself available 24/7, just remember, if you got hit by a bus tomorrow, you'd be replaced before your body was even cold and your boss probably wouldn't even care.
It's not uncommon if you have a high up position in a company but the salary should always reflect it.

Marty

It's not uncommon if you have a high up position in a company but the salary should always reflect it.

That's true, if they're paying you a large salary to make always yourself available then it is what it is. See some people do it for 40k and always stressed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm right on the cusp of X and Y. I feel I've got more in common with the X than Millennials though.

Never quite sure about them though because the difference between the beginning and end can be stark.

Millennials for example are born through the Tory govt of the 80's and those born early on in that would have some recollection of the effect of that era even though they were quite young. Those born at the end wouldn't and would only have memories of the Blair era. That's two very different experiences.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Which bit Alan?
Or are you questioning the validity of scale?
I always thought a generation to be around 30yrs.
Doesn't the current measure cover a semi?🤔
Haha, I read the first paragraph and thought someone's having a laugh.
I always thought a generation was 25 years but I'm more than happy to accept 30 . Neither of us are way out.
So isi there really an X Y and Z generation? Its all a joke isn't it......is it ?

wingy

Haha, I read the first paragraph and thought someone's having a laugh.
I always thought a generation was 25 years but I'm more than happy to accept 30 . Neither of us are way out.
So isi there really an X Y and Z generation? Its all a joke isn't it......is it ?
I don't believe it's fifteen mate ,so we're on solid ground as far as I'm concerned.
Childhood into adulthood to economic activity to childbirth etc something to measure , evolvement from an individual to a family unit of sorts,to measure shifts and trends etc.

chiefdave

Completely agree. Mentioned on another thread that since being furloughed I've seen a noticeable health improvement. Problem is its become the standard and 9-5 jobs are becoming few and far between. Also as they're in demand they tend to be even lower paid.

Not sure how you get round that without a career change which is pretty tricky without going backwards salary wise. Although that could be a moot point if I don't get taken off furlough before the scheme ends.
Funnily enough the managers and directors, obviously on the highest salaries, just work regular office hours.

Sick Boy

Funnily enough the managers and directors, obviously on the highest salaries, just work regular office hours.
Hahaha now that’s a surprise!! Over time I think we’re going to see more and more people becoming contractors and working freelance, it’d probably suit companies more in the longer term coming out of the Covid mess. If you are able to get it right the earning potential is so much higher.

Evo1883

GERS :When things are good IMG_20200826_142719.png When things are not so good IMG_20200826_142735.png scotlands deficit has risen to over 15 billion

Evo1883

There is no problem at all with budget deficits if you are sovereign currency issuer. This is where an iScotland has a problem.

They would I assume, have to start their venture as an independent nation with a healthy chunk(their %) of Britain's national debt....

RedSalmon

Had a lot of pressure at work to join a WhattsApp group 'so we could all keep in touch when we are not at work and keep each other upto date with developments'. Flatly refused and made it clear that my phone was not for anything other than personal use. The upper management were highly pissed off but as I plan on retiring soon and do not need the wankers for a reference they can fuck off!!

Feel sorry for some of the youngsters who feel pressured into joining these groups and being available at any time. There should be a law against it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Funny this topic got into the work thing.

I've just finished for the night and supposed to be up in 4 hours to drive down to the office in London tomorrow.

No fucking chance. It won't go down well but I'm working from home tomorrow.

chiefdave

Funny this topic got into the work thing.

I've just finished for the night and supposed to be up in 4 hours to drive down to the office in London tomorrow.

No fucking chance. It won't go down well but I'm working from home tomorrow.
It seems mad to me that companies are insisting that people who can work from home go into the office.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It seems mad to me that companies are insisting that people who can work from home go into the office.

It's a control thing for sure.

We had an email from the CEO saying he wants us all to go in to the office as much as possible as it was essential for the business. That's a massive load of shit. We are an IT software firm and everyone can work remotely. They have given us a rota to come into the office, but as a consultant I'm not actually on it. They still keep pushing me to come in twice a week though.

Grendel

we are far more wfh than Europe on this though aren’t we?

chiefdave

This is interesting. About how the different generations earnings compare to their parents. Its the US but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar here.

RegTheDonk

Great opportunity for companies to save money on office space and work from home now in all seriousness, some smaller companies could save a fortune in rent etc

Good for families aswell, positives all round
There are negatives though - one of the kids works from home, new job involves on the headset all day dealing with enquiries, help desk kind of thing. Bloody nightmare for the missus, has to keep noise down, can't vaccum, stop the dogs barking at the doorbell. Her company expect her (well, US!) to pay the electric which isn't much but they insist our broadband is upgraded, bloody cheek. Oh and yes same as redsalmon, got her to join the team whattsapp using her own phone which goes off at all hours.

Pressure from bosses and not wanting to lose job means she doesn't want to kick up a fuss, so she has to bend the knee to the gits. Yeah its convenient being at home but it would be worth her getting up a bit earlier and a train pass just to get our home back lol, but I get the firm are saving money and will keep the workforce at home where possible.

Evo1883

There are negatives though - one of the kids works from home, new job involves on the headset all day dealing with enquiries, help desk kind of thing. Bloody nightmare for the missus, has to keep noise down, can't vaccum, stop the dogs barking at the doorbell. Her company expect her (well, US!) to pay the electric which isn't much but they insist our broadband is upgraded, bloody cheek. Oh and yes same as redsalmon, got her to join the team whattsapp using her own phone which goes off at all hours.

Pressure from bosses and not wanting to lose job means she doesn't want to kick up a fuss, so she has to bend the knee to the gits. Yeah its convenient being at home but it would be worth her getting up a bit earlier and a train pass just to get our home back lol, but I get the firm are saving money and will keep the workforce at home where possible.

Yea some downfalls I'd imagine... I also Saw one guy on TV who will save over 4000 a year train fare from Reading to London... Crazy

chiefdave

Yea some downfalls I'd imagine... I also Saw one guy on TV who will save over 4000 a year train fare from Reading to London... Crazy
Thanks to someone in marketing deciding that we needed a Birmingham not Coventry postcode for the Midlands office overnight my commute went from literally 5 mins (2 miles each way) to over 12K miles a year and, on a good day, 3 hours stuck in the car every day. To go and sit in an office on my own. Completely pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread