Muslim women don't have to shake hands in Sweden (3 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

They should be made to carry those big foam hands around and people can shake them

giphy.gif

LastGarrison

She sounds like an attention seeker to me.
I've shaken hands with Muslim women in and out of work with no issue.
Me too and I have also offered my hand and it was declined (In Oman) but generally I don’t offer my hand unless they offer theirs.

Does it bother me? Not in the fucking slightest!

I’m more bothered by the new Mexican girl at our place who wants to hug me all the time! Far too personal for a British male!!

Macca

Me too and I have also offered my hand and it was declined (In Oman) but generally I don’t offer my hand unless they offer theirs.

I’m more bothered by the new Mexican girl at our place who wants to hug me all the time! Far too personal for a British male!!

Slip her a finger and you are quits

Westendlad

Doesn’t make sense does it. It’s being portrayed as a Muslim thing but lots of cultures don’t shake hands. And then you have rafts of people who won’t shake hands because they germophobia. You simply can’t terminate an interview on that basis. Like you say, it was always going to end bad
The handshake was at the END of the interview.

Westendlad

I didn't say never, I said traditionally.
Source (first link on google, as good as any): Australia - Cultural Etiquette - e Diplomat

WTF, what is odd about women shaking hands?

Make up your mind, when Tony said its not just Muslim women that don't shake hands you challenged it, now you're saying women not shaking hands is the norm. Which is it?
Nearly all women i know greet each other with a hug or kiss on the cheek.

chiefdave

WTF......You said never.
No I said traditionally never which is correct.
Nearly all women i know greet each other with a hug or kiss on the cheek.
I'm sure there's plenty of men who do the same thing but I'm equally sure there are people on this forum who would be far from happy if a fella planted a kiss on them as a form of greeting.

Its just common courtesy to respect peoples boundaries, particular when it comes to physical contact. Find it hard to believe this is even being argued.

Westendlad

I'm sure there's plenty of men who do the same thing but I'm equally sure there are people on this forum who would be far from happy if a fella planted a kiss on them as a form of greeting.

Its just common courtesy to respect peoples boundaries, particular when it comes to physical contact. Find it hard to believe this is even being argued.
More bollocks from you. You should of said 'Do not' instead of never. 'Plenty of men that do the same thing' ? Hope i never meet you then !.I find it hard to believe you are arguing a case for this woman.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Off the top of my head some Asian cultures don't shake hands at all. Australian women traditionally never shake hands with another women, the reverse in Russia where it is only acceptable to shake hands with the same gender not a gender mix. The Japanese prefer not to shake hands but will, if prompted, but very lightly.

There's loads of places, quite surprised this would come as a shock to anyone.

If you’ve followed the guys posts, he’s probably been to Benidorm, Zante, Kos. He’s certainly not the most cultured so it probably is a shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westendlad

If you’ve followed the guys posts, he’s probably been to Benidorm, Zante, Kos. He’s certainly not the most cultured so it probably is a shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh so you have to travel all around the world before you can comment on backward religion beliefs...?

martcov

Oh so you have to travel all around the world before you can comment on backward religion beliefs...?

Seeing as all religious beliefs are backward, no you don’t have to travel much to comment on backward religion. If anyone starts talking about invisible wizards in the sky who you cannot see, touch or hear, you certainly can comment. But, I think CD and others were talking more about the variety of courtesy customs throughout the world. In which case a bit more varied travel may be an advantage when commenting on these customs.

Otis

As she is Mexican, can't you just wave?

If she can't do that she's not Mexican.

Grendel

I tend to adopt the culture of the country I visit. So I will bow in Japan and Korea and do the Thai hands together greeting / farewell ritual. In South America you just brace yourself to be hugged by men and women.

You just do it as it’s their tradition. I understand that these people were stupid to abandon the interview but she seems very attention seeking and equally as disrespectful. Indian people of all religions will shake your hand in India.

NorthernWisdom

I understand that these people were stupid to abandon the interview
Which is the main thing really isn't it. Wouldn't even have been an issue if it had been carried through. Sure if it was that offensive, there would have been other more prosaic examples of inflexibility come up which would warrant not offering her a job, without the drama!

chiefdave

Plenty of men that do the same thing' ? Hope i never meet you then
And you immediately go and prove my point!
Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal

seems reasonable to me. If they don't want to assimilate then they shouldn't be applying for citizenship.
Absolutely agree with that decision and their reasoning which reading the article rather than the headline isn't actually handshake refusal. Its actually 'over their lack of respect for gender equality' as 'The constitution and equality between men and women prevails'.

skyblueinBaku

What if the culture involves child brides FGM etc?
As abhorrent as those two examples are, if I was in a country where they are considered the norm, it would not be my place to object or make a scene even though I disagree with them.

Users who are viewing this thread