Muslim women don't have to shake hands in Sweden (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

The interpreting company in Ms Alhajeh's home town of Uppsala had argued that its staff were required to treat men and women equally and could not allow a staff member to refuse a handshake based on gender.
I would have thought the way things are these days the reverse was more likely to be true, that companies can't force employees to make physical contact.

Terry Gibson's perm

Everyone is seem to meet now wants to fist bump and I have to say I prefer it

skybluetony176

Why on earth would you terminate the interview? That decision was only going to end badly.
Doesn’t make sense does it. It’s being portrayed as a Muslim thing but lots of cultures don’t shake hands. And then you have rafts of people who won’t shake hands because they germophobia. You simply can’t terminate an interview on that basis. Like you say, it was always going to end bad

Otis

Doesn’t make sense does it. It’s being portrayed as a Muslim thing but lots of cultures don’t shake hands. And then you have rafts of people who won’t shake hands because they germophobia. You simply can’t terminate an interview on that basis. Like you say, it was always going to end bad
I'd definitely develop germaphobia if I had to shake hands with anyone from on SBT..

Westendlad

Really....What other cultures don't shake hands ?

chiefdave

Really....What other cultures don't shake hands ?
Off the top of my head some Asian cultures don't shake hands at all. Australian women traditionally never shake hands with another women, the reverse in Russia where it is only acceptable to shake hands with the same gender not a gender mix. The Japanese prefer not to shake hands but will, if prompted, but very lightly.

There's loads of places, quite surprised this would come as a shock to anyone.

Westendlad

Off the top of my head some Asian cultures don't shake hands at all. Australian women traditionally never shake hands with another women, the reverse in Russia where it is only acceptable to shake hands with the same gender not a gender mix. The Japanese prefer not to shake hands but will, if prompted, but very lightly.

What a load of bollocks. Australian women never shake hands with another women.....? When was the last time you've seen two women shake hands ? In Russia its only acceptable to shake hands with the same same gender ? No shit sherlock........

skybluetony176

We had some customers visit work from Vietnam a couple of years ago and not only would they not shake hands when they had to pass you something they had this whole routine of passing it to you in both hands with open palms while bowing. It took about 30 minutes just for everyone to exchange business cards.

Sick Boy

What a load of bollocks. Australian women never shake hands with another women.....? When was the last time you've seen two women shake hands ? In Russia its only acceptable to shake hands with the same same gender ? No shit sherlock........

I saw two women shake hands at work yesterday, it's not exactly something weird.

clint van damme

We had some customers visit work from Vietnam a couple of years ago and not only would they not shake hands when they had to pass you something they had this whole routine of passing it to you in both hands with open palms while bowing. It took about 30 minutes just for everyone to exchange business cards.

I don't know if the Vietnamese are the same but I was told that when the Japanese pass you a business card they expect you to take a few seconds to look at it and are insulted if you don't.
They aren't pleased if you stick it in your wallet or your arse pocket without a second glance like we do here apparently.

chiefdave

What a load of bollocks. Australian women never shake hands with another women.....?
I didn't say never, I said traditionally.
Source (first link on google, as good as any): Australia - Cultural Etiquette - e Diplomat
Shake hands with everyone present upon meeting and before leaving. Allow women to offer their hands first.
Women generally do not shake hands with other women.
When was the last time you've seen two women shake hands ?
WTF, what is odd about women shaking hands?
In Russia its only acceptable to shake hands with the same same gender ? No shit sherlock........
Make up your mind, when Tony said its not just Muslim women that don't shake hands you challenged it, now you're saying women not shaking hands is the norm. Which is it?

ccfctommy

The question should be whether shaking hands is the usual thing done in Sweden as that is where she lives. If it is the done thing then she's the one in the wrong in my opinion. She's chosen to live in that country and should accept their way of doing things.

Or how about respect other peoples cultural beliefs?

Grendel

She sounds like an attention seeker to me.
I've shaken hands with Muslim women in and out of work with no issue.

Also to dispel a few other myths

Russian men and women have shaken hands with me
Korea and Japan the same. Business cards seem a big deal to them but I’ve never looked at them.
Never really experienced any issue with it.

Otis

I don't know if the Vietnamese are the same but I was told that when the Japanese pass you a business card they expect you to take a few seconds to look at it and are insulted if you don't.
They aren't pleased if you stick it in your wallet or your arse pocket without a second glance like we do here apparently.
They also don't like it when you do the slanty eye thing either, apparently.

shmmeee

There was a Muslim girl on my Masters course and I found this out when I went to shake everyone's hand when meeting up once. Found it rude TBH.

Nick

Administrator
In my religion we go to shake hands then move it away and inform them it was a schoolboy error.

Users who are viewing this thread