Murphy (5 Viewers)

CCFC88

Don't think I need to at all mate. More than half of Dion's goals were from dead ball situations like corners, and free kicks, and a hell of a lot were with his feet. ;) ....... Ps. Unless you are old enough to have seen Coventry play in the 60/70's you wouldn't appreciate just how many goals were created by the likes of Ronnie Rees, Tommy Hutch, etc, that took on and beat fullbacks and crossed from the byline.

So you dont think weve had a decent crosser of a ball in the last 30 years? Your heads in the clouds mate.

Not sure why youve got an obsession with players beating full backs and crossing the ball, the games moved on from the 70s, full backs are faster and central defenders clear crosses with greater ease these days.

Can you name me a player this season in England who "beats a full back and crosses from the byline." I think your head may be stuck in the past.

Oh and 13 of Dions 18 goals that season were with his head, 1 of the remaining 5 was from a Shay Given assist, so no he did not score a "hell of a lot" with his feet that season.

Sky Blue Kid

@ CCFC88.......QUOTE[ "I'm talking more like Hutch, Rees, who could take on fullbacks, beat them and pull the ball back from the byline for the big striker to meet it around about 8-10 yards out and bury it. A keepers worst nightmare is that cross into the box. Just that little bit too far to go for it. The times you see keepers caught in "No mans land" is unbelieveable." UNQUOTE] Like I said Read my post... Players that take on fullbacks and cross a decent ball into the box for the striker to hit it. And YES I'm saying CCFC haven't had a player that can do that for at least 20-25 years. Murphy and Armstrong are fast as f**k, but the final ball is f**king s**t. Somebody was going on about Mifsud on here 1-2 days ago, after his first season teams just let him run at their fullbacks knowing full well he would run the ball out of play.

CCFC88

@ CCFC88.......QUOTE[ "I'm talking more like Hutch, Rees, who could take on fullbacks, beat them and pull the ball back from the byline for the big striker to meet it around about 8-10 yards out and bury it. A keepers worst nightmare is that cross into the box. Just that little bit too far to go for it. The times you see keepers caught in "No mans land" is unbelieveable." UNQUOTE] Like I said Read my post... Players that take on fullbacks and cross a decent ball into the box for the striker to hit it. And YES I'm saying CCFC haven't had a player that can do that for at least 20-25 years. Murphy and Armstrong are fast as f**k, but the final ball is f**king s**t. Somebody was going on about Mifsud on here 1-2 days ago, after his first season teams just let him run at their fullbacks knowing full well he would run the ball out of play.

QUOTE We've not had a decent crosser of a ball since Hutch and Rees. QUOTE

Retract

Terry Gibson's perm

Dave Bennett produced one or two good crosses in his time, one tends to stand out in 87 although it was a little bit in front of Houchan

Sky Blue Kid

@ CCFC88.......QUOTE[ "I'm talking more like Hutch, Rees, who could take on fullbacks, beat them and pull the ball back from the byline for the big striker to meet it around about 8-10 yards out and bury it. A keepers worst nightmare is that cross into the box. .... NO RETRACTION pal :)

Sky Blue Kid

@ Terry Gibson's perm..... "Perhaps the perfect example is Benno's cross for Houchen in the 87 Cup Final Clemence didn't know wether to go for it or stay on his line".
claping%20hands.gif
Great minds think alike mate ;)

CCFC88

Errmmm It was you who banged on about Dion Dublin in 97-98 season. I proved you wrong pal ;)

Yes, and the video link you uploaded wasnt from that season, so it was irrelevant. Im still waiting for you to name this modern day winger "who could take on fullbacks, beat them and pull the ball back from the byline for the big striker to meet"

fernandopartridge

Yes, and the video link you uploaded wasnt from that season, so it was irrelevant. Im still waiting for you to name this modern day winger "who could take on fullbacks, beat them and pull the ball back from the byline for the big striker to meet"

It doesn't happen, but it doesn't mean it isn't an effective way of playing. For whatever reason, football has adapted to this ticky tacky way of playing when it is very difficult to play against a good winger whipping the ball in. Look at how effective Beckham was in his prime, not getting to the byline but undefendable crossing, took Man Utd to the European Cup final.

Nick

Administrator
It doesn't happen, but it doesn't mean it isn't an effective way of playing. For whatever reason, football has adapted to this ticky tacky way of playing when it is very difficult to play against a good winger whipping the ball in. Look at how effective Beckham was in his prime, not getting to the byline but undefendable crossing, took Man Utd to the European Cup final.

A lot of his were diagonal I think, usually from like the corner of the box or further out.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...and we've got Murphy, who doesn't cross , doesn't run, can't tackle and has absolutely no interest ..but is very good at whinging at referees and being knocked off the ball. All this since New Year. It's a sensational transformation.

CCFC88

17 years ago, as I said before, better central defenders, fatser full backs and more agile goalkeeprs coming for more in their box, and maybe a lack of centre forwards who can head the ball (Sheareresque), means that this type of attacking is a dying breed.

Crossing is still an integral part of the game, but these days it is more effective to whip a ball into the box from the wing 20-30 yards out, along what you will hear described as "the corridor of uncertaintainty" between the centre backs running back to their own goal and a keeper undecided wether to come for it or not. These are normally low balls and will bounce in the 6 yard box for an armstrong/Madison/cole to nick something on.

Sky Blue Kid

17 years ago, as I said before, better central defenders, fatser full backs and more agile goalkeeprs coming for more in their box, and maybe a lack of centre forwards who can head the ball (Sheareresque), means that this type of attacking is a dying breed.

Crossing is still an integral part of the game, but these days it is more effective to whip a ball into the box from the wing 20-30 yards out, along what you will hear described as "the corridor of uncertaintainty" between the centre backs running back to their own goal and a keeper undecided wether to come for it or not. These are normally low balls and will bounce in the 6 yard box for an armstrong/Madison/cole to nick something on.

You obviously have your own opinion on football, I have mine. I'm not saying that we should deploy what I've said 100% of the time. It's an aspect of the game that is rarely used nowadays I agree, but is one of the most devastating forms of attack.

lifeskyblue

Whatever the era the most deadly ball is the one where defenders are running towards their own goal. And the striker bursting through. Whether it's a whipped ball from the dead ball line or from 30yds out. Whether it's head high or on ground. You need to get that ball somewhere between the 6yd line and the penalty spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
On the highlights from last night, granted not the best ball to him but a bad first touch he loses it and then strolls back.

steve82

On the highlights from last night, granted not the best ball to him but a bad first touch he loses it and then strolls back.

Ricketts could of bust a gut to protect the goal. Never does and gives up all the time

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Ricketts could of bust a gut to protect the goal. Never does and gives up all the time

Or just look at it for what it is.

Stephens played hospital pass, but had Murphy been awake he wouldn't have been dispossessed so easily.

If people were blaming JOB for the Port Vale goal, the same distribution of blame can be proportioned on Murphy for yesterday, and the Walsall goal, and the Fleetwood goal.

steve82

Or just look at it for what it is.

Stephens played hospital pass, but had Murphy been awake he wouldn't have been dispossessed so easily.

If people were blaming JOB for the Port Vale goal, the same distribution of blame can be proportioned on Murphy for yesterday, and the Walsall goal, and the Fleetwood goal.

Point I was making is that your captain should not be the first to give in.
From a early age your taught as a defender to protect the goal. If your keeper is committed and looks like being rounded then get in the goal and do your bit.
Ricketts always gives in. He's not the fight anymore, yes he's not alone currently but as a captain he should be the last to give up.

Sky Blue Kid

A Captain should lead by example. That's what made George Curtis the best Captain I've ever seen in a Coventry shirt.

covcity4life

seen first goal,quite harsh to blame it on murphy,yes he lost control but the opposition were on him like a shot and it wasnt a great pass to him by the cb. also they broke so quicklyso i doubt murphy could have tracked them back after losing possession anyway

and yes rickkets could have cleared from line if didnt give up

Nick

Administrator
seen first goal,quite harsh to blame it on murphy,yes he lost control but the opposition were on him like a shot and it wasnt a great pass to him by the cb. also they broke so quicklyso i doubt murphy could have tracked them back after losing possession anyway

and yes rickkets could have cleared from line if didnt give up

He is one of our fastest players, he could have chased back to at least try and put them off.

lifeskyblue

Once Murphy lost it he couldn't do much. Maybe he could have fought a little harder to retain the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will am i

Anyone who thinks that goal was Murphy's fault obviously wasnt there. Stupid throw out from RCC stupid pass from Stephens who had better options. Stephens is no centre half as he cant head the ball. Im hoping Ricketts is centre half on Saturday. Joe Cole was again a liability last night and should have got taken off at half time.

Users who are viewing this thread