Murphy Signs! (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

Whoo-hoo!!!

Jimthor

Good signing. Not as good as KW but he's about the best replacement we could tempt here i think, so well done to the club for managing to get him here. Pleased with that.
Needed next is a striker!

He is the first of two good replacements we need. Just a striker needed now and we can challenge for a good spot in the league this season. With AT at the helm, I think we can manage top half this season.

Covstar

1st choice and back up keeper sorted now. All we need is a decent striker or two to partner jukebox up front and we should be ready for the new season!

Hcut PUSB

1st choice and back up keeper sorted now. All we need is a decent striker or two to partner jukebox up front and we should be ready for the new season!

Be intersting to see who , if AT goes for hope its not like last year with R Od and donkey Platt.

rob9872

Excellent news. Really pleased about this one. Well done AT and dare I say the board too?

gouldberg

Good news today. Still not sure on Dunn but as with anyone we sign I'll give him a chance and who knows, he may come good.

Agree I think we just need that big name striker now and I'll be very happy. Clingan, Deegan, Bell and Thomas are more than capable to get us somewhere in the centre of midfield. I think we're looking OK. Not expecting too much, just another middle of the road season which could be the starting point for us should a takeover happen (which I'm hopeful will).

rob9872

A bit hard to compare of course as we've all seen much more of Westy, but does anyon e have an opinion on if they think he is as good as Westy? Also do we think he will be on similar terms to what Westwood was offered or a bit less leaving more in the tank for other areas? I know it's only guesswork, just interested in common opinion.

skyblu3sk

Would guess he would be on less than we offered westwood as he is good but not as good from what I can gather.

ajsccfc

He was in the league one team of the year the season Scunthorpe came up which bodes well, plus he's hovering around the Ireland squad. I think he's pretty much the best we could realistically hope for, I'm mostly impressed at how quick and painless both transfers have been, normally it's ages of 'player set to sign/why hasn't player signed yet?' torture.

smileycov

Facebook User
he was kieran's understudy at international level, so no mug! don't think there was a great deal in the pot re: wages from KW, still a very capable and good signing.

Really really want that striker hole filled though, as a squad we look fairly decent so maybe they are saving it all for a big/decent name to go upfront. It is surely the priority now?

Can you imagine the year we celebrate the "sky blue era" and erect JH statue we get bought out, have no more money worries, start playing great football and return to the big time!! Oh to dream :claping hands:

ajsccfc

Thorn's picked up some of his identified targets so far, so I've got reserved faith that he'll have at least a main forward in mind. We'll soon see, I guess.

C

Clive Plattini

Decent signing. Hopefully a few more. But not gonna get massively excited.

PUSB

rob9872

I linked the article on here when I answered some questions for the Scunthorpe Telegraph before last season's home fixture. I still have their sports editor in my contacts list so I've just emailed him for the lowdown of his and the fans feelings and what he thought Murphy's attributes are. Assuming he replies I'll post a copy on here.

Phil_Mc_90

Very happy about this signing, think he is a cracking keeper, also makes a nice change reading something positive about the sky blues!

rob9872

Coventry have finally signed Joe Murphy today after long speculation and was looking for your take on him as a keeper and how good you believe that he is and also what you think his attributes are. If you can send me something so that I can link it up on our forum board I would be grateful.

Of course we have seen him a few times in opposition and know that he is on the fringes of the Ireland squad, but other than that little really at all. What is the mood like with the fans? Are they disappointed he has left or was it in inevitable as he was out of contract?

Many thanks and best regards

Rob

Hi Robert, here's a link to a piece I put online a fortnight ago. We ran it in the Scunthorpe Telegraph at the end of May.

(Use the link rather than cut and paste if you don't mind - will get us a few extra web hits lol)

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/S...w-start-says/story-12767279-detail/story.html

Aside from that, below is a first-person piece I used alongside the article in print, you are welcome to use that if you so wish....

HAVING been a new father myself, I have experienced the joy and fear in equal measure that comes with holding your baby in the delivery room for the very first time.
When Joe Murphy is passed his newborn child in the coming weeks, he need not worry a jot.
The former Iron keeper, after all, has a safer pair of hands than most.
When his son or daughter enters the world, a new life will coincide with a new way of life for his or her daddy.
It is one that will undoubtedly be bright.
Scunthorpe will live on without the man who has been their number one for the past half a decade.
But when players report back for pre-season training, there will be a presence lacking in the dressing room as much as out on the pitch.
Murphy has been a big player for United, but he has been an even bigger character.
Players are often easily replaced. Personalities prove much tougher.
Always quick to voice his concerns to his team-mates during a game, he is then the first to embrace them at the final whistle.
Glanford Park will be a quieter place without him, but few can voice anything but admiration for his long and loyal service.
Inevitably when good players leave clubs at the end of contracts, questions are asked as to why.
Sorrow can be overcome by bitterness in the eyes of some, with integrity then wrongly questioned.
Not so in Murphy’s case. He must be allowed to walk away from United with head held high.
To suggest the Irishman was an unknown when he arrived at Glanford Park in the summer of 2006 is ignorant.
But it is fair to report that too much time on the bench, at West Brom and Sunderland, saw a once precocious goalkeeping talent stagnate somewhat.
Scunthorpe offered Murphy a chance to play regular first-team football.
He has paid them back at an interest rate they could never have believed possible.

For info, Joe is excellent keeper, the best I've seen in 25 years as a Scunthorpe fan/reporter.
He's a good shotstopper, very vocal, with pretty decent distribution too. Rarely has he made mistakes.
His exit from the Iron is a disappointment for fans, but one they understand given their relegation from the Championship. Many also believe Joe's understudy, Josh Lillis, is ready for the first team, having patiently bided his time while Murph was first choice.
He was actually released at the end of the season, but only because he'd told the manager he would be moving on.
He would get a great reception, should he ever return to Glanford Park

covcity4life

sounds like a great signing

ill never forget cov v norwhich first game of season,i saw west in warm up for his debut and he left every practice shot in,i turned to my cousin and said were in trouble

he then played a blinder lol

hope murphy has equal success in goals.

Ernie Machin

"I'm not a money driven guy and I never will be."

You've come to the right place, Joe.

Very happy with this signing, pretty much the best/only option we had.

sotv1987

A bit hard to compare of course as we've all seen much more of Westy, but does anyon e have an opinion on if they think he is as good as Westy? Also do we think he will be on similar terms to what Westwood was offered or a bit less leaving more in the tank for other areas? I know it's only guesswork, just interested in common opinion.

I think he will probably be on as much as Westy because he wasn't on that much when we signed him, i don't think he will be on as much as we offered Westy to stay, so overall, still a bit in the kitty, I'm open for correction

MatthewWallis

he will refuse to sign a new contract in three years and then we will be talking a new keeper who has just signed :D

rob9872

If that's how football has to work then I don't mind. We find an adequete replacement without risking the long term stability of the club and we all move on. I have no problem as long as we don't get shafted on £750K deals like with KW (I don't blame him btw).

Users who are viewing this thread