Mrs Browns boys ranked best comedy of the 21st century (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

Has to be The Inbetweeners.

I don't mind Mrs Browns Boys but it's defintely not the best in the 21st Century.

Covstu

Anyone who liked Mrs Browns Boys and Miranda I would struggle to get on with.

I liked Car Share. Not up there with Phoenix Nights but still an easy watch and had some funny moments.
cannot stand Miranda, its the one person that actually make me angry when I see her!!

JulianDarbyFTW

Count Arthur Strong the radio series is brilliant. Up there with the very best, and believe me I've listened to tens of thousands of hours or radio comedy. The TV series, however, was dog dirt. They changed the character, reducing almost everything that made it genius to nothing. It does not deserve a top 10 place in this list.

Terry Gibson's perm

Phoenix nights
The inbetweeeners
Car share
The office

For me

Stopped watching Mrs brown got boring and hate Miranda I have never seen anything more shit than that.

Must have been some strange folk voting and a lot must work at the bbc;)

Captain Dart

Awful, awful "comedy".

For me the IT Crowd should've won that. Loved Car Share, Peep Show, The Office and Green Wing too.

I'd have had Early Doors and Derek in there too

The Top 20 for anyone interested:
The top 20 comedies
1 - Mrs Brown's Boys, BBC One (started 2011)
2 - The Office, BBC Two (2001)
3 - Peter Kay's Car Share, BBC One (2015)
4 - Count Arthur Strong, BBC Two (2013)
5 - The IT Crowd, C4 (2006)
6 - The Thick Of It, BBC Four (2005)
7 - Gavin & Stacey, BBC Three (2007)
8 - Miranda, BBC Two (2009)
9 - Raised By Wolves, C4 (2015)
10 - Outnumbered, BBC One (2007)
11 - Peep Show, C4 (2003)
12 - Black Books, C4 (2000)
13 - Green Wing, C4 (2003)
14 - The Inbetweeners, C4 (2008)
15 - Bad Education, BBC Three (2012)
16 - Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights, C4 (2001)
17 - Yonderland, Sky1 (2013)
18 - Twenty Twelve/W1A, BBC Two (2011)
19 - Benidorm, ITV (2007)
20 - Detectorists, BBC Four (2014)
There is some shocking shite on this list and some notable absences (Early Doors was terrific so was Still Game & The League of Gentlemen), must have been compiled by the association of the brain dead. Favs at the moment is the Detectorists and Toast of London (a slightly surreal Matt Berry vehicle).

Last edited:

Ian1779

There is some shocking shite on this list and some notable absences (Early Doors was terrific so was Still Game & The League of Gentlemen), must have been compiled by the association of the brain dead. Favs at the moment is the Detectorists and Toast of London (a slightly surreal Matt Berry vehicle).

Completely forgot about The League of Gentlemen. Absolutely loved that show, although the third season was a bit of a letdown in comparison to the first two.

vow

The League of Gentlemen, fook me, another that should have been top 5 at least.
A bit like the Royle Family it started in the 20th century and finished in the 21st, so again it should have been listed to vote for.

I believe it was a poll from the Radio Times? who the fook buys that still?

Otis

Yeah, I forgot about League of Gentlemen too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

vow

Well looking at the polls, its sitcoms started within the 21st century, not ones that ended in the 21st century fookin pricks!

Captain Dart

Otis

I liked the Wrong Man's, the first series especially anyway. I like Going Out, but it is a bit all over the place and saved purely by Lee Mack's great one liners.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Macca

Wow, the league of gentlemen. Having been virtually beaten into watching it based on it being the funniest thing ever, i tuned in and thought i had got the wrong show. Not a flicker

Otis

Wow, the league of gentlemen. Having been virtually beaten into watching it based on it being the funniest thing ever, i tuned in and thought i had got the wrong show. Not a flicker
You need to stick with it, Macca.

At first I thought 'What the hell,' but after about three episodes I then absolutely loved it.

mrtrench

Like most on here I don't like it - watched maybe two episodes whilst at my daughter's.
Outnumbered would be closer to the top in my list. And no room for The Mighty Boosh? Madness.

Captain Dart

Like most on here I don't like it - watched maybe two episodes whilst at my daughter's.
Outnumbered would be closer to the top in my list. And no room for The Mighty Boosh? Madness.

Bit hit & miss for me but higher in my estimation than Little Britain or the Office neither of which I like in the least.

SkyblueBazza

Awful, awful "comedy".

For me the IT Crowd should've won that. Loved Car Share, Peep Show, The Office and Green Wing too.

The top 20 comedies
I can quickly identify 6 of those I have never watched & 7 that I would prefer to watch the MBB. It makes me titter at times & I think it is possibly the 2nd best current (although it's history now I think) that I have seen...Benidorm just creases me at times. So MBB is one of the best of a rather poor bunch really imo

...onwards & upwards PUSB

JulianDarbyFTW

Going through the list again, I'd say Black Books should be higher. Had me roaring at times, probably because I can see a bit too much of me in Bernard Black.

stupot07

Awful, awful "comedy".

The top 20 comedies

Who voted in this? Peep show, green wing, intbetweeners, the office and Friday night dinner would get my votes. Benidorm isn't even a comedy is it? I wouldn't class Gavin and Stacey as comedy either, but I did love it.

Mrs brown boys is gash. Once you get past the bad language, there's little substance in it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dancers lance

Psychoville, Inside Number 9, Life's Too Short, Extras, need adding to the list of shows that piss all over Mrs Browns Boys.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Psychoville, Inside Number 9, Life's Too Short, Extras, need adding to the list of shows that piss all over Mrs Browns Boys.
Some episodes of inside number 9 are genius in particular the silent episode and the Sheridan smith one
And I loved psychoville
As far as I'm concerned Pemberton and shearsmith are peerless when it comes to dark comedy

dancers lance

Some episodes of inside number 9 are genius in particular the silent episode and the Sheridan smith one
And I loved psychoville
As far as I'm concerned Pemberton and shearsmith are peerless when it comes to dark comedy
I agree with everything you have said, the silent episode is called Tom and Jerry (when they are trying to rob the house) amazingly clever and totally engrossing.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I agree with everything you have said, the silent episode is called Tom and Jerry (when they are trying to rob the house) amazingly clever and totally engrossing.
No mate sorry to be pedantic. Tom and Gerry is about the teacher and a homeless guy fiends his wallet and keep kinds of crowbars his way into the guys life to be fair Steve Pemberton is great in that episode
I think the silent episode is called a quiet night in

dancers lance

No mate sorry to be pedantic. Tom and Gerry is about the teacher and a homeless guy fiends his wallet and keep kinds of crowbars his way into the guys life to be fair Steve Pemberton is great in that episode
I think the silent episode is called a quiet night in
You are 100% correct, I am getting my episodes mixed up, (in my defence I have had a half pint of Adnam's broadside)

Users who are viewing this thread