Mr Steve Waggott (1 Viewer)

H

Huckerby

I don't know a lot about this bloke. Slipped the net with me. Would love to hear your opinions. Am I right in understanding that he is one out of the bunch who knows a little bit about football?

I did a quick google search but he doesn't have a page on Wiki or anything and I just really want to know what his role is and what peoples opinions of him are.

Please don't turn this into a SISU slating thread...I hate them as much as most but another argument thread will give me a nervous breakdown.

Welshted

I think he's good at his job to be honest, but he has got a shit job. Talks sense and apparently did a lot of wheeling and dealing when Charlton were in trouble to keep them going

H

Huckerby

I think he's good at his job to be honest, but he has got a shit job. Talks sense and apparently did a lot of wheeling and dealing when Charlton were in trouble to keep them going

What exactly is his job buddy?

Astute

What exactly is his job buddy?

Running the club. The only good one out of the lot of them. But of course he can't say anything against SISUE. We would be fucked without him. Look at the last two managers he has appointed. We now don't let players go for well under value.

shmmeee

Seems to say the right things and has IMO made excellent managerial appointments since in post. Not convinced on the transfer front. Still think Thorn (as a scout not manager) was the best we've had there in recent years.

There's been a few rumours of players not liking him etc. but they all seem to be started by jesus_wept

Found this thread from Charlton http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/45238/steve-waggott-at-coventry-as they seem happy enough with him. Certainy in the role he has here. Was chief exec there for a bit as well I think.

Found this post funny though (sorry to bring the stadium row in)

Charlton Fan said:
So planning a new stadium not in Coventry. Doesn't sound ideal for the fans on the face of it.

"Steve Waggott, Coventry City FC's development director, said owning its own ground was "key to the long-term future of the club" and would generate "activity and income"."

Given there is already a large ground (the Ricoh) in Coventry how much activity and income will be generated by the new ground?

"Mr Labovitch said the Football League was satisfied the club had the funds to build a new stadium.

"The stadium that is saddled with a huge amount of debt that is really unsustainable is the Ricoh," he said.
"

Yet the club don't own the Ricoh and therefore the debt related to the Ricoh is not theirs. But if they build another ground, the related debt will be theirs.

Perhaps somebody will make some money from property deals relating to the new ground. Wonder if it will be Coventry City FC.

jesus-wept

Putting it as simple as possible, Steve Waggott is the other cheek of the same backside and part and parcel of decisions such as moving 35 miles away to play home games.

J

Jack Griffin

I'm not sure he has any say in that side of things.

So you are saying a Director of the company (Otium Entertainment Ltd trading as Coventry City Football Club) has no influence... LOL

He never bullshits. He always tells it how he is and he just does his job. If SISU left, which I fucking hope is soon, I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Waggott on

letsallsingtogether

He told us at the Sky Blue Trust forum he was a failed professional footballer at Newcastle united (his hometown)
If sisu leave he will go with them as he is Mr Fishers right hand man been working together for years before they came here.

diggerdaley

Was'nt he partly responsible for some of the crap signings the club have made over the last couple of seasons.:thinking about:

The Gentleman

I think he handles business side of transfers rather than identifying targets.

So he is the one responsible for loans rather than signings, short term contracts rather than long term, persuading players to stay and the one to make sure the manager gets the targets he wants?

mark82

So he is the one responsible for loans rather than signings, short term contracts ratheor than long term, persuading players to stay and the one to make sure the manager gets the targets he wants?

I would have thought so, yes. Will be working within a budget from above presumably.

shmmeee

So he is the one responsible for loans rather than signings, short term contracts rather than long term, persuading players to stay and the one to make sure the manager gets the targets he wants?

Well, when you put it like that...

The Gentleman

You realise it's still January right?

Yes but wouldn't it be a novel idea to actually sign the players you want sooner rather than later. Firstly it stops them going elsewhere, secondly you have a player you want with time to settle, then it stops any lame excuse of we were caught out in the transfer market, after that you have cover if a player stays and lastly Sisu may come out with a modicum of credit for showing a little ambition. I'll still think Sisu are a shower of shite but at least we have the players we want rather than the players no one else wants.

lordsummerisle

Yes but wouldn't it be a novel idea to actually sign the players you want sooner rather than later. Firstly it stops them going elsewhere, secondly you have a player you want with time to settle, then it stops any lame excuse of we were caught out in the transfer market, after that you have cover if a player stays and lastly Sisu may come out with a modicum of credit for showing a little ambition. I'll still think Sisu are a shower of shite but at least we have the players we want rather than the players no one else wants.

Haven't we signed a couple of players?

H

Huckerby

@lordsummerisle....you're avatar (or whatever its called) is absolutely quality!! Love it.

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Potentially a case of the right guy working for the wrong people. With regards to people panicking about signings...we are a long, long, long way away from the transfer deadline. Haven't united only just moved for Mata? Plenty of time.

The Gentleman

Haven't we signed a couple of players?

Two out and two in is not strengthening in my book. I know we still have a week or so left and most business is done last minute. Like I said, we need players now because of a thread bare squad, do you not think it would be better to sign Jan 1st rather than Jan 31st?

lordsummerisle

Depends if the players in are better than the ones gone out doesn't it?

We may have targets who weren't available at the beginning of the month, or waiting to see what other interest can be flushed out over a month rather than taking first offer on January 1st.

We don't know.

We do know that signing players because of a clamour from fans that we need to often doesn't end well.

The Gentleman

Depends if the players in are better than the ones gone out doesn't it?

We may have targets who weren't available at the beginning of the month, or waiting to see what other interest can be flushed out over a month rather than taking first offer on January 1st.

We don't know.

We do know that signing players because of a clamour from fans that we need to often doesn't end well.

January is the month business is done. Everybody is available in January, Whether it's the first or the last day of the month, hence the transfer window being January. Lets not kid ourselves, all the flushing is done before January by greedy parasites like agents and alike.

One final thing, Sisu have learned their lesson in clamours from fans, otherwise we would be playing at the Ricoh.

SkyBlue_Bear83

January is the month business is done. Everybody is available in January, Whether it's the first or the last day of the month, hence the transfer window being January. Lets not kid ourselves, all the flushing is done before January by greedy parasites like agents and alike.

One final thing, Sisu have learned their lesson in clamours from fans, otherwise we would be playing at the Ricoh.
So what if a club are waiting to see if they can bring in a replacement before they let a player go?

Users who are viewing this thread