Mowbray went to watch Pennington (2 Viewers)

Chipfat

Johnson...will not play more than 25 games
Ricketts...will not be as good as some are making out
Martin... is mediocre at best
Willis at RB is a liability and at CB is about the best we have
Harries... would not be shocked if he makes more than a few appearances this season..

You put any two in a partnership in front of Burge we could be in for a very long season, again siad it last year this is a weaker squad than the previous one.. And at the minute nothing or words coming out of the club is telling me its going to change.. If Pennigton is available and would be interested he would definitely improve the CB pairing, so if TM has gone to watch him in hope of getting him on loan, i would take it... Still time to improve, but not feeling great about this current squad,,TM never seems sure about what he can get, which doesn't really fill me with confidence..

FRY-CCFC

Harries... would not be shocked if he makes more than a few appearances this season..

You put any two in a partnership in front of Burge we could be in for a very long season, again siad it last year this is a weaker squad than the previous one.. And at the minute nothing or words coming out of the club is telling me its going to change.. If Pennigton is available and would be interested he would definitely improve the CB pairing, so if TM has gone to watch him in hope of getting him on loan, i would take it... Still time to improve, but not feeling great about this current squad,,TM never seems sure about what he can get, which doesn't really fill me with confidence..

Can I have your crystal ball please mystic meg.

kg82

Ring the life guard, we're going down

KersleyDigs

Willis is a much better defender than Stokes. With those players with Ricketts and Reda who are versatile, how do you justify Stokes in the starting back four?? If Ricketts has the legs for fullback still I'd happily see:
Ricketts---Willis---Pennington---Reda

Remember Willis and Pennington at Walsall?!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Agreed. Unless he's very worried about Johnson's fitness and ability to play week in week out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Well it would be pretty reckless of him if he wasn't concerned to some degree.

Chipfat

Mystic Meg comment:::

Don't have to be mystic when looking at Johnson record,, don't have to have special powers to Know Martin is very mediocre and you don't have to have balls to admit Ricketts is not a spring chicken and by many accounts at Swindon his legs had gone.. But out of interest who would be the best partnership at CB out of the 5 names mentioned and would Pennigton not make that a stronger unit..

Going Down Comment:

Didnt mention going down just didn't think we had a decent partnership at CB and Pennigton would help....

Last edited:

stupot07

Well it would be pretty reckless of him if he wasn't concerned to some degree.

Can't see Everton allowing him to come as back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

Can't see Everton allowing him to come as back up.

I still think Stokes has been signed as covering left back and the plan will be to ship Haynes out.

Grendel

What about Coventry?

Tough call but I think the home town actually wins that one.

I thought Skegness was funny actually.

kg82

Mystic Meg comment:::

Don't have to be mystic when looking at Johnson record,, don't have to have special powers to Know Martin is very mediocre and you don't have to have balls to admit Ricketts is not a spring chicken and by many accounts at Swindon his legs had gone.. But out of interest who would be the best partnership at CB out of the 5 names mentioned and would Pennigton not make that a stronger unit..

Going Down Comment:

Didnt mention going down just didn't think we had a decent partnership at CB and Pennigton would help....

I was joking chap!

Hobo

Pennington is a realistic loan and would open up our defensive options.

Hope it happens.

Manchester_sky_blue

Ryan Ledson is the kid they are keen on up there,, very highly thought of, but cant see him changing what we already have in Maddison.. As for Pennignton i think they would want him to step to championship level to see the developement, as next year should be pushing reaaly hard for 1st team at Everton..

An option might be David Henen,, plays wide or upfront,, TM seems to have an connections with Joe Royle so something may come off withthat club..

Henen looks a good shout, he's 19 and has only just signed for Everton on a permanent deal last season after being on loan from Olympiakos last season, Bit odd to loan a player to sit in your U21 squad but i guess they wanted to have a look at him before making a decision. Can't see him making the first team in the prem but at 19 he needs first team experience so a loan looks likely. He's been around a bit playing for Anderlect as well as Olympiakos and has lots of u19 experience with Belgium, Can play as a winger or striker, could be handy.

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City boss Tony Mowbray has revealed several players caught his eye after taking in Matty Pennington’s return to action for Everton.

The Sky Blues boss watched the defender turn out for the Toffees’ Under-21s at Rhyl on his come-back from a serious ankle injury that cut short his loan spell at the Ricoh Arena last term.

The 20-year-old played an hour in the comfortable 3-0 victory for the Premier League development squad but Mowbray admits the chances of getting him back are looking slim, with the Championship a more realistic destination for the centre-back who was voted City’s Young Player of the Year and signed a new three-year deal at Goodison Park this summer.

Matthew Pennington in action for City
“I like Matty Pennington as a footballer but I would have to say that’s not the main reason why I went,” said Mowbray, whose priority is more forward-thinking players.

“I went and sat with Joe Royle who is a friend of mine and ex-colleague, and Joe’s job now is looking after all the loan players at Everton so I had a good chat with him about a few things. We’ll see if we get any fruition out of that.

“I think Everton’s potential thoughts with Matty would be to put him into the Championship because he did so well for Coventry City.

"It’s about the player’s progression path towards their first team and that might be that he’s done well in League One, now can he step up and do it in the Championship and then the first team.

Story Link Five Everton starlets Coventry City boss Tony Mowbray could target this summer

“It was an interesting game and a good one to watch with some good footballers on show.

“I’d have to say there were half a dozen players at that football club who are young and you’d think are not bad football players. Let’s see if it brings any fruits over the next week or two.”

Chipfat

Henen, Duffus and Dowell would be players that would fit positions we are looking for, Ledson would be interesting but i think they would keep him up there for another year...

SlowerThanPlatt

Henen, Duffus and Dowell would be players that would fit positions we are looking for, Ledson would be interesting but i think they would keep him up there for another year...

Problem is though will we have another Apkom situation where Everton want their best young players back for the FA youth cup

Chipfat

Problem is though will we have another Apkom situation where Everton want their best young players back for the FA youth cup

Im not sure some that are a little older they will want them to be playing pro games,, as they need to step up.. So players like Henen and Dowell who hae already been sent out on loan will be pushed to get into first team at lower levels..

H

Huckerby

where did you get that from? an outside chance of a very specific unusual arrangement we had once with a different club, is apparently a problem...

SlowerThanPlatt

32282f8f74e5a256997fe7c296ceabac.jpg

Any info on those? I know Ledson's highly rated but not heard of any of the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueCRJ

I've also heard positive things about Ryan Ledson but the rest are unknown to me. Centre Mid that has Represented England at Under 16, 17 and 18 levels therefore he clearly has a solid pedigree. Conor Grant is a winger and seemed to have a positive spell at Motherwell in the final few months of last season. Making 12 appearances and scoring 1 goal, helping Motherwell retain their SPL status. Joe Williams seems to have been ever present in Everton's Under 21 side since he broke through in the 2013/14 season and is described as a "tough tackling midfielder". Kieran Dowell is a winger/forward that has also represented England at Under 16, 17 and 18 levels.

Users who are viewing this thread