Most Shocked About A Result (1 Viewer)

Alex1987

Both Good and Bad!

Good:
Coventry 3-2 Manchester United. At that time it just seemed Man Utd were unbeatable. Pretty sure they were top of the league and we were 18th or 19th. Expected a 0-2/0-3 reverse. A magical day in the end.

Bad:
So many to choose from. Worcester at home is the obvious one in recent years for me. Just assumed it would be a comfortable 3-0/4-0 type scoreline

clint van damme

Walsall at home in the league cup when they beat us 3-0 after we'd won 2-1 at their place.
I was never really shocked after that until we lost to the blades in the FA cup quarter final. That result really hit me.

Shocked in a good way? Not a single result but staying up in 85 and 97. Never expected us to pull either off.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Remember getting spanked 5-1 at home by Notts County (Including Killer) and was bemused at how they did that to us.

On a happier note, the 5-2 win at Blackburn years ago - I remember being stunned from afar, hearing the score.

Ring Of Steel

Beating Liverpool 4-0 when they were about the best team on the planet was probably the biggest "nice" shock, enough has been said about that game.

Nastiest shock- where do you start :) One was perhaps Derby at home 96/97 at the end of the season, we were in the middle of a huge relegation dogfight and really, really had to win- went 1-0 down, equalised and the whole ground was jumping, promptly conceded again and lost 2-1. We all thought that was it, it was over, we had no chance at all & we were down. Every other relegation dogfight we thought we could do it, but there was something about that day which made it feel impossible. Then results went our way, we had to win at Spurs & Boro/ Sunderland had to not win, and the rest is history...

My Dad has often talked about an 8-1 tonking by our friends up the M69 in the cup as one of his biggest nasty shocks, I think that was the mid 60s, bit before my time though..

andy86

Bad: The game at Crystal Palace where we were 1-0 up in the 90th minute and lost 2-1.

Was early in the season, but knew we were in big trouble.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The Crewe JPT game (whatever it was called back then) 0-3 home leg.

To make matters worse we had something like 25 shots and dominated the game, but they just kept hitting us on the break.

Agree totally. To this day I've no idea how we didn't give then an absolute caning. IMO it was a very very good display from us with total dominance. If I remember right we had to change keepers and it seemed to go wrong from there.

From this season, Bolton and Tranmere (although after the disallowed goals in the first and the inability to score in the second they did slowly feel inevitable over the course of the game). But in a good sense the Pompey game was also a massive surprise.

fernandopartridge

I've never been that shocked about a defeat for us tbh.

The way we came out against Notts County in that play off semi sort of shocked, we were so pumped up and just wiped them out in that first half. It might be years of disappointment but having been in a few big city followings that have come away with nothing, it was a shock to go there and not only win but do it in style.

D

Deleted member 2477

Good- probably the best game of football ive seen. The 86/87 season beating spurs 4-3 at home. Had everything and was a dress rehearsal for wembley With Big C scoring the winner in the last few minutes

worst probably the loss to Sutton in the Fa cup and coming back on the coach. Everyone was in shock

Last edited by a moderator:

Ring Of Steel

Good- probably the best game of football ive seen. The 86/87 season beating spurs 3-2 at home. Had everything and was a dress rehearsal for wembley With Big C scoring the winner in the last few minutes

worst probably the loss to Sutton in the Fa cup and coming back on the coach. Everyone was in shock

(4-3) sorry for being picky... thats my favourite match of all time right there

RegTheDonk

Good, so many obvious ones but 1st win I saw at Villa Park ... the cup game with Moldovan scoring.

Bad, again so many .... but Villa Park again, this time when we were relegated. Is that chap still got hold of his wallpaper?

God, I hate Villa (O'Hare asside).

ceetee

At the Ricoh against one of the Bristol teams (can't remember which)

If I remember correctly they beat us 4-0 and only came forward four times

Paxman II

A memorable defeat for me was at home to Everton. It was the late 70's I think when Howard brought his football playing side to Highfield Road and they dish out a class footballing lesson. It was so good to watch. Anyone old enough to remember that day?

Ring Of Steel

Who remembers the Sheffield United replay in the FA cup. I watched it at Highfield rd on the screens. Went home totally devastated!
Not a massive shock but those penalties will live with me till I die.
Sombre occasion all round that one, someone died of a heart attack right there, horrible night.

Someone already said it but I would say that Sutton Utd has to top the 'bad list' by some distance- one of our best ever teams to go there and get beat- surely nothing comes close.

Grendel

Sutton was the biggest shock by a mile. We were a strong top flight team against a bunch of part timers - the absurdity was shown when after that we beat a high flying Norwich away in the league and then Norwich put 9 past Sutton in round 4 - it was a result no one expected

Likewise no one expected the 3 - 1 win at Maine Road in the early 80’s - we always lost there and Hutchison made some comment before the game that alienated him a bit from the fans - again no one saw it coming

Travs

Good... Probably the Blackburn 5-0

Bad... Around a similar time, perhaps a year or two later, we played Tranmere in the league Cup. First leg away, lost 5-1.... I was playing snooker at the time and someone shouted the score out and thought they were on a wind-up.

Ring Of Steel

Sutton was the biggest shock by a mile. We were a strong top flight team against a bunch of part timers - the absurdity was shown when after that we beat a high flying Norwich away in the league and then Norwich put 9 past Sutton in round 4 - it was a result no one expected

Likewise no one expected the 3 - 1 win at Maine Road in the early 80’s - we always lost there and Hutchison made some comment before the game that alienated him a bit from the fans - again no one saw it coming
"Coventry will be really frightened to death". Manchester City v Coventry FA Cup 4th Round 1981/82 – City Til I Die

Sky_Blue_Daz

Who remembers the Sheffield United replay in the FA cup. I watched it at Highfield rd on the screens. Went home totally devastated!
I still have an irrational hatred of Sheffield United from that game , I was convinced we were going to win the cup that season .If I remember correctly we battered them at home . Whelan missed a relatively easy header

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Possibly most disappointing rather than shocking because we went ahead and then seemed to sit on it rather than try to get another so when they equalised at the death it had a kind of inevitability about it because we could have made that game safe. Then the penalties were awful. It was such a massive missed opportunity.

ccfcway

How we have got this far into a thread and not highlighted that absolute shambles of a performance at Charlton where we lost 4-1 and it nearly relegated us I’ll never know.

don’t think I spoke for about 2 hours after that I was so shocked

The Great Eastern

How we have got this far into a thread and not highlighted that absolute shambles of a performance at Charlton where we lost 4-1 and it nearly relegated us I’ll never know.

don’t think I spoke for about 2 hours after that I was so shocked
Yes. The players being released had already been told their fate and were in no mood to play their hearts out for the club. Abysmal performance all round.

Frostie

Yes. The players being released had already been told their fate and were in no mood to play their hearts out for the club. Abysmal performance all round.

If you told anybody in attendance that day that Kasper Schmeichel would go on to be a top Premier League keeper they'd have said you should be sectioned.

Users who are viewing this thread