Most important signing in Robins (1 Viewer)

harvey098

Who is the *most important* signing in Robins second era? (Not necessarily the most talented) Obvious nominees:

McNulty - Took a while to get going but his goals started all of this. Made decent money on him which funded other important signings.

Doyle - Brought a new mentality into the team when we were at our lowest. Also no Doyle = no McNulty and everything written above. If we didn’t get out of league 2 that season, it could’ve got much worse.

Hyam - Pivotal role in our rise from league 2 all the way to a play-off challenging team in the Championship. Good financial business too.

Godden - His goals got us promoted and has since shown he can do it at this level. Injuries have scuppered him but his contribution at this club can never be overlooked for that 19/20 season.

McFadzean - Promotion from league 1 in first season. Just keeps getting better and part of the leanest defence in the championship at the age of 36.

O’Hare - doesn’t always get the “numbers” that the stattos want but we look a very different team when he’s in it / out of it. Crucial to the way we play.

Hamer -Took the way we play to another level. Has the work rate of Allen but never seen a player able to pass like him (either big sprays or tight tika taka).

Gyok - For a season and a half he’s been unplayable. Got the goals and although he hasn’t “achieved” anything with us yet like some of the others I think he will be our biggest windfall and help secure us financially long term (if he hasn’t already taken us up by then).

Notable mentions: Kelly, Sheaf

SBT

In terms of contributions on the pitch, surely McFadzean. You can make a case for Hyam if you factor in selling him to keep the lights on. It could one day be Gyokeres, but depends what we do with the next couple of transfer windows.

Skyblueweeman

Between Fadz and Godden.

Fadz has been largely immense for us. But let's not forget Goddens goals - some extremely crucial at the time. Goalscorers have proved to be tough to come across for us for a while until we brought him in. Shame his injury record has been poor recently as he's been a great player for us.

hill83

Really tricky one this.

Doyle played a big part in getting it all rolling and I honestly think we’d still be knocking around in League 2 if we didn’t go up first time of asking. And then none of the rest happens.

But assuming it all happens anyway, Fadz

slowpoke

I agree regards Michael Doyle he seemed to grasp and understand the pickle Coventry City football club was in when he returned and grasped that nettle with both hands.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s interesting for me just how many players improve and the speed of their improvement

Eccles over the last 3 games maybe form but I don’t think so
Hyam - league 2 development to move to top championship team
Fadz - those mistakes where he gave pens or got caught on the ball to now and I don’t think it’s form either he’s grown and improved over the last 18 months
Panzo / Doyle - you can see their improvement from the start of the season to now. Panzo in terms of positioning and Doyle in terms of getting caught on the ball
Hamer - written off after 2 reds and he’s come back being unbelievable and added a defensive awareness he didn’t have before
Sheaf - still prone to brain faze but his tackling and movement is poles apart from last year and the start of this. It would be great if he could add a couple of goals
Allen - we know his weaknesses but his willingness to cover for Hamer and sheaf and the wing backs and still stretch defences with his clever runs. Made clear in the first goal against qpr even though he messed up the chance
Ohare - come back as if he’s not been away. Possibly the player who hasn’t improved and has areas of his game in terms of composure in picking a pass and shooting
Yok - what can you say? It’s not the improvement but the speed of it. The composure with his second against qpr was great. He Carries the whole attacking threat of our team on his shoulders. Utterly priceless

To show its a coaching and player thing there are examples of those players that haven’t improved too
Jch
Walker
Waghorn

So I agree with esoterica the coaching team are more important than any one individual signing

Mcbean

Not sure you can pin it down as best signing as with time all have had their moments - the current ones have all developed - Hamer , O Hare , Gyok but earlier Doyle and McNulty were critical - Sheaf Bidwell developing - Fadz just maturing like a fine wine

Esoterica

So I agree with esoterica the coaching team are more important than any one individual signing

giphy.gif

Londonccfcfan

Financially it will be Vik , influence wise Fadz
Influence wise it was Doyle for me without a shadow of a doubt. He managed the game and importantly the refs.

Wont forget he got a influential Swindon player sent off away when we won there in league 2. Including popping with crucial goal. Wasnt the best player. Most influential though.

Londonccfcfan

Really tricky one this.

Doyle played a big part in getting it all rolling and I honestly think we’d still be knocking around in League 2 if we didn’t go up first time of asking. And then none of the rest happens.

But assuming it all happens anyway, Fadz
Doyle was also his first big statement signing and wasnt it Doyles phone call that convinced McNulty to sign.

mmttww

Doyle, Viveash, Lawrenece. What's been consistent since Robins came back has been the culture and mentality. We're a Team, a Squad and a Club for the first time I can remember.

We don't have a playing identity - at least not one that isn't flexible to circumstances - but since the start esp. with Doyle, if you come here, the club comes first. No big time Charlies.

Viveash dialled up the quality of the play, Lawrence seems to have us fitter and more determined, maybe braver. Robins orchestrates the whole thing. Lose Viveash and we're f*cked.

SleepyGinger

Kelly honourable mention, signed him for Orient who had been relegated to non league, his second half of that league 2 season was massive part of getting promoted that year. Brilliant in the 2 league 1 years and played a massive part in keeping us in the league that first season in the championship.

Users who are viewing this thread