Match Thread MK Dons vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 19th Oct (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueDom26

Haven’t won away since sunderland, fucking joke us 6000 deserve better than that shite today

CanadianCCFC

Since I know everyone was wondering, we’re second in the expected goals table behind Fleetwood with 3 more wins, 1 more defeat and 4 fewer draws than in the real table.

stevefloyd

We have to change tactics our 2 back up strikers offer little to no threat, our wider front players offer little to no threat, all Godden has done so far is fend off 2 brutish centre halves every game with little or no support, so is probably getting used to losing the ball waiting for our lack of support team to dawdle up the pitch to help him, he must be thinking "why the hell did i decide to sign" !
If he has to play the likes of Baka then he has to play with 2 strikers and even then Baka isnt enough of a goal threat, but while the centre halves are pissing themselves laughing at the comedic attempts of controlling a ball by Baka, hopefully the other striker may make an attempt at troubling the goalkeeper rather than troubling the poor fuckers in the upper tier

Covstu

We do need two upfront but equally we need to be conscious of how that can stop creativity, we are creating chances but just not taking them. Sometimes pushing another upfront hinders regular assists coming through but he has to try something!

theferret

We have hit a poor patch now others had it earlier...

Agree, but we need to drag ourselves out of it soon. Win on Wednesday and we're pretty much guaranteed to be in 4th (with Oxford not playing) and suddenly the world is a better place again.

Grendel

If Godden is out we are never even able to start two upfront as we have two forwards who are fit enough to do so and one of those is Bakayoko and the other is Godden

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If Godden is out we are never even able to start two upfront as we have two forwards who are fit enough to do so and one of those is Bakayoko and the other is Godden

Is that what you meant? You started saying if Godden is out and ended saying we have two forwards fit enough and one of those is Godden? Or was it another dig at Biamou?

Grendel

Is that what you meant? You started saying if Godden is out and ended saying we have two forwards fit enough and one of those is Godden? Or was it another dig at Biamou?

Lol you actually think Biamou is fit enough to start. Do you watch any games

Esoterica

In the 4-3-3 there's absolutely no interchange between the 3 forwards because of the distance between them and our play ends up too linear and all in channels up the pitch - Dabo, Westbrooke and O'Hare play together on the right. McCallum, Shipley, Hiwula down the left. Nothing much down the middle yesterday because they suffocated the space with extra men there and so the most of our play was pushed down the wide channels resulting in an often poor cross into the box with not many players to aim at.

Needs to go back to 4-2-3-1 for me.

------------Marosi------------
Dabo-Rose-Hyam-Mason
--------Walsh--Kelly---------
Bapaga---O'Hare----Hiwula
-----------Godden------------

Baka if Godden isn't fit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We do need two upfront but equally we need to be conscious of how that can stop creativity, we are creating chances but just not taking them. Sometimes pushing another upfront hinders regular assists coming through but he has to try something!

A change in shape may stop us having quite as much control of the ball and potentially allowing the opposition more chances but if the extra striker means we can score a couple of goals instead then surely the trade off is worthwhile?

I'm starting to think the return to last season's formation with O'Hare as a No.10 is very worthwhile considering with Kelly holding. You've then got Shipley, Westbrooke and Walsh fighting for the two central berths. Could be a diamond like formation in position and a flatter midfield defending.

As for the two up front one would be taken by Godden as I think it would bring the best out of him and you can try the others around him to see who clicks better. My initial choice would be Biamou as I think he's most likely to be able to get Godden involved, although he probably would need to be subbed for a few games due to fitness. Hiwula and Godden have played quite a few games together (albeit in a different position) and are both responsible for some big misses, Hiwula especially. Baka has never really looked like someone who will create chances for other or be a particular goal threat but he's never really been tried with a strike partner here.

oucho

Haven’t won away since sunderland, fucking joke us 6000 deserve better than that shite today

To be fair, there have been seasons in the recent past where we've only won twice, as opposed to having lost just twice, by 20th October so overall I think we can be quite satisfied with where we are. If in July someone had offered us a play-off slot by mid-October I would have been very pleased with that.

Last edited:

Adge

To be fair, there have been seasons in the recent past where we've only won twice, as opposed to having lost just twice, by 20th October so overall I think we can be quite satisfied with where we are. If in July someone had offered us a play-off slot by mid-October I would have been very pleased with that.
We would have-its in May that counts though.

Legia Sky Blue

In the 4-3-3 there's absolutely no interchange between the 3 forwards because of the distance between them and our play ends up too linear and all in channels up the pitch - Dabo, Westbrooke and O'Hare play together on the right. McCallum, Shipley, Hiwula down the left. Nothing much down the middle yesterday because they suffocated the space with extra men there and so the most of our play was pushed down the wide channels resulting in an often poor cross into the box with not many players to aim at.

Needs to go back to 4-2-3-1 for me.

Dabo-Rose-Hyam-Mason
--------Walsh--Kelly---------
Bapaga---O'Hare----Hiwula

Baka if Godden isn't fit.

Good points made, but it looks like Robins is favouring McCallum over Mason at the moment, not that I'm personally bothered too much about which one plays, as I think their pretty much on a par. Mason has better tactical awareness, while McCallum offers more physicality to the defence. However I really can't see Bapaga starting yet. The boy has obviously got promise, but if the EFL Cup games he's played in are a guide, I don't think he's ready yet, although of course he may play the odd cameo role as the season progresses. Moreover, I just can't see MR dropping Shipley at this time.

Esoterica

Good points made, but it looks like Robins is favouring McCallum over Mason at the moment, not that I'm personally bothered too much about which one plays, as I think their pretty much on a par. Mason has better tactical awareness, while McCallum offers more physicality to the defence. However I really can't see Bapaga starting yet. The boy has obviously got promise, but if the EFL Cup games he's played in are a guide, I don't think he's ready yet, although of course he may play the odd cameo role as the season progresses. Moreover, I just can't see MR dropping Shipley at this time.
Sure. That was very much what I would do, not what I think MR will do. I prefer Mason over McCallum for what he does in the final 3rd. Our fullbacks have a lot of responsibility to attack in the 4-3-3 and Mason seems to have a much better understanding with Hiwula and this season, the area I think he has improved significantly, he hasn't been afraid to take a player on, drive into the box and have the occasional shot too. McCallum seems much more inclined to cross the ball from wide, which is an absolute waste of time with Saturday's front 3.
I thought Bapaga did pretty well for his 80 minutes at FGR in the tinpot cup considering how lacklustre the general performance was. The change of formation allowing Kelly to come back in as well as move O'Hare to 10, where I believe he will be more effective, would outweigh the sacrifice of bringing an untested Bapaga on the right.

Wouldn't be opposed to retaining Shipley instead of him though but I think Walsh would be better in midfield than at 10 - if I was trying to shoehorn our current best 11 players into a side:

Dabo-Rose-Hyam-Mason
--------Kelly--Shipley---------
O'Hare---Walsh----Hiwula

All I actually expect MR will do is bring Kelly in for Westbrooke, shifting Walsh to the right of the 3 and Godden back in if fit.

torchomatic

Good day out Milton Keynes. I did buy a parking space for £7 but Mrs Torch wanted to come to look around shops and stuff, so she dropped us off in that massive Asda next to the stadium. I noticed you get three hours parking there, so if I go again I'm going to get there at 2.30ish and park in Asda.

Pleased to see the drug dogs were sniffing us as we went in, not sure if they caught anyone, hopefully they did get any idiot trying to take drugs into the stadium.

insipid performance, best seats in the league though by a long way. Better stadium than the Ricoh.

skyblueinBaku

I was very impressed with the stadium, but not the game! We had a dreadful journey to MK. Had to divert through Romsey to avoid a snarl up on the M3, then got caught in a horrendous queue on the A34 at Oxford. The road was closed and the diversion went all roud Oxford on the ring road. When we joined the queue we were on schedule to get to MK at about 2pm. We arrived at the ground at 3:30 :emoji_rage:.

Adge

Good day out Milton Keynes. I did buy a parking space for £7 but Mrs Torch wanted to come to look around shops and stuff, so she dropped us off in that massive Asda next to the stadium. I noticed you get three hours parking there, so if I go again I'm going to get there at 2.30ish and park in Asda.

Pleased to see the drug dogs were sniffing us as we went in, not sure if they caught anyone, hopefully they did get any idiot trying to take drugs into the stadium.

insipid performance, best seats in the league though by a long way. Better stadium than the Ricoh.
You didn’t read it properly-2 hours on a match day squire.

torchomatic

Adge

Was tempted myself but realised after checking one of the signs close up. You might be ok-I have made that mistake before on an odd occasion and nothing came if it. Done it twice at the Ricoh (Tesco) and they only gave a ticket on the 2nd occasion but did reference the first occasion too.

torchomatic

Was tempted myself but realised after checking one of the signs close up. You might be ok-I have made that mistake before on an odd occasion and nothing came if it. Done it twice at the Ricoh (Tesco) and they only gave a ticket on the 2nd occasion but did reference the first occasion too.

I didn't read it too closely to be honest, just saw the 3 hour bit. I remember parking at a Tescos next to the Chesterfield ground a few times and always got away with that. Probably wouldn't risk it in MK though.

Users who are viewing this thread