Match Thread Mk Dons preseason (2 Viewers)

Woolly68

That was actually a good goal for McFadzean. Are we playing him out of position?

Frostie

Giles both... However first is bowled out to him with the attacker right there and second well, looked like a pre season goal to me, walking pace

Surely it's Hyam as left centre back on the first one? Giles is out hugging the touchline where he should be?
Agree re: not the smartest throw.

The second is poor from Giles, needs to close that down a lot better.

Reactions: KAB

cc84cov

Surely it's Hyam as left centre back on the first one? Giles is out hugging the touchline where he should be?
Agree re: not the smartest throw.

The second is poor from Giles, needs to close that down a lot better.
At fault for both for me as mentioned on this forum questions over him defensively possibly there

Pete in Portugal

Much better high Intensity O’Hare looked class there in them clips picking up the ballon space harrying defenders,clear understanding between him Shipley & Godden.Love Hamer the way he patrols that midfield who was at right back first half ? Thought he looked very good there.

Positive 🙌🏻

I think it was Thompson.

larry_david

Energy levels looked higher. Pressing all the time. Great team move first goal straight from the gk throw through the team. Love godden second goal finish too. How many times did that guy try hack o hare down as well!

fernandopartridge

I am stating to think the same as you. I know it’s pre-season but the games so far have shown issues at the back. I just don’t think the CBs currently available which will be Declan and Kyle are good enough for the Champ.

Robins said there’s more to do in the transfer window but we need better depth at the back than we currently have.
McFadz is the only defender who has played there, I really don't understand the scapegoating of him when he was key to our league win

Sky Blue Harry H

Off at a tangent slightly, but I was looking at Peterborough's local rag, and they were saying that their next 2 friendlies (Colchester a, and us at their place) will both consist of 2 full games of 90 mins to enable all players to get game time. It is either badly worded, or suggests we are going to have 2 games against them?! I would have thought that with all the knocks we have this was a bit ott. Haven't heard of us doing this before. Has anybody else heard about this ? (I'm guessing that if they're playing Colchester midweek, I can check whether they had 2 full games then, which will give a clue!)

Sky Blue Harry H

McFadz is the only defender who has played there, I really don't understand the scapegoating of him when he was key to our league win

Agreed. I do think we are going to have to be a bit more prudent when it comes to playing out from the back. as e.g. when we play the likes of Barnsley etc early on, Thomas and Chaplin will be snapping at the heels of defenders who have the ball thrown out at them from the keeper. It's one area where I think we will notice the difference in the Championship - quicker players. Hopefully we will identify the slower of the opposition's forwards and target them when playing out, and not give it to the Usain Bolt's of the league!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I wouldn’t be surprised if we switch To a flat back 4 early in the season

Could happen, but doesn't solve the problem at right back. Someone will be playing out of position. So far we've seen Burroughs, Pask and Thompson out on the right and I don't think any of them I'd be comfortable with against Championship opposition. Not really like we've got a right midfield option who could be relied on to track back - they're all pretty attack minded.

On the left you might bring Mason in as an out-and-out LB ahead of Giles.

But then you look more central and you'd assume it'd be Fadz and Hyam but Fadz would lose that extra cover he has with the third centre back which might expose him a bit.

Then how would you set up the rest of the team?

4-4-2? Only having two centre midfield really hampers the options as you're going to have to choose 1 from either Kelly or Hamer and one from O'Hare, Allen, Shipley. Or away against a good team would you go Kelly and Hamer for the solidity and lose all the attacking options?

4-3-2-1/4-2-3-1? Would allow you to play most of the centre mids, with Kelly and Hamer with Shipley, Allen and O'Hare in front. But that makes us quite narrow, esp when attacking.

Diamond? Kelly in front of the back four, O'Hare behind two strikers and Hamer and either Shipley or Allen next to them? Gives cover at the back with Kelly but again very narrow.

There are options, but with all of them it still seems like there will be limited opportunities for the naturally wider players like Jones, Jobello, Hilssner to get a look in. Bet there's still someone out there reckons we need to sign another winger.

Users who are viewing this thread