Millwall ratings (3 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Interesting Robins put allen in a select few after the match who he thought played really well .. the lad must be doing what Robins is asking , we know when a player does his own things , Robins usually pulls them out
tbf I tend to ignore managers after a game - maybe Robins feels he needed a boost after he'd accidentally browsed this board after all.

And I won't comment about his performance yesterday, good or bad, as I didn't see it.

But it is fair to say different players are in the team for different reasons.

As an aside, glad if Palmer could influence a game for 90 minutes mind you, as people have suggested. Lets hope that's the trend going forward and he can maximise the talents he has.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Wilson 7
Cuffy 8
Mcnally 7
Fadz 8
Doyle 7
Bidwell 6
Eccles 6
Hamer 7
Allen 4
Palmer 9
Gyokeres 8

Otis

I think 6 for Allen is fair.

He was the weakest player I felt, but no-one had a bad game. He just had that one chance where he should have shot and was out-muscled a couple of times. Besides that, I thought he did okay.

olderskyblue

In the 1st 30 seconds, Allen played a great one two with cuffy, setting the ball on a plate for cuffy to cross from the byline, ended up with eccles shooting and getting a corner I think.

in the match thread, not a mention.

1st pass he puts not quite right, lots of posts saying he’s shit and does nothing for the team……

when Millwall were attacking, who’s chasing back to cover the wing backs, Allen. When we have a break, who’s busting a gut to get in the area, Allen. When they were starting to play out from the back, who’s covering their wing backs to block them moving forward, Allen. His work rate is unbelievable, but according to the ”experts“ on here, he adds nothing to the team.

if we have designs on the top 6, we will need improvement in quite a few positions, including Allen’s, but not seeing what he provides to the team is either blindness or ignorance of the game.

I’m on Mark Robins side in this… :LOL:

Otis

In the 1st 30 seconds, Allen played a great one two with cuffy, setting the ball on a plate for cuffy to cross from the byline, ended up with eccles shooting and getting a corner I think.

1st pass he puts not quite right, lots of posts saying he’s shit and does nothing for the team……

when Millwall were attacking, who’s chasing back to cover the wing backs, Allen. When we have a break, who’s busting a gut to get in the area, Allen. When they were starting to play out from the back, who’s covering their wing backs to block them moving forward, Allen. His work rate is unbelievable, but according to the ”experts“ on here, he adds nothing to the team.

if we have designs on the top 6, we will need improvement in quite a few positions, including Allen’s, but not seeing what he provides to the team is either blindness or ignorance of the game.

I think "brilliant" is pushing it though.

His energy certainly did help us last night .

Julie SBA

I thought it was a really good performance last night, maybe slightly exaggerated by just how poor Millwall were.
BNC was on it for sure but they didn't really ask any questions of him defensively. A good confidence building performance from him though. Probably should have been subbed earlier than he was as he was clearly getting tired again

Vik as immense, hes just so powerful and loves rolling defenders which he does so well.
Palmer had his best game too, adds a lot of physicality which between him and Vik must be terrifying to defend against.

I thought Eccles and Allen were pretty average, Bidwell was below par and unadventurous, but can't complain too much as we won and deservedly so.

olderskyblue

Don’t think I said brilliant… but agree, that would be pushing it…

PVA

But absolutely no one is denying his work rate is excellent. That's not the point anyone is making.

olderskyblue

But absolutely no one is denying his work rate is excellent. That's not the point anyone is making.
Constantly saying he’s shit, and adds nothing to the team? Regular comments on here.

Do you go along with the thought that ”he runs around a lot” is of no value to the team, as others do?

PVA

Constantly saying he’s shit, and adds nothing to the team? Regular comments on here.

Do you go along with the thought that ”he runs around a lot” is of no value to the team, as others do?

I made a post earlier in the thread where I explained my position. Which essentially is that running around a lot and pressing should be a given, we need more on top of that.

He made 30 yards of forward passes last night, Hamer and Palmer made almost 500 yards between them. I don't really care how much pressing he does, 30 yards of progressive passes is not good enough for an attacking midfielder.

The other midfielders press and contribute in other ways. Allen's great at pressing but severely lacking elsewhere.

olderskyblue

I made a post earlier in the thread where I explained my position. Which essentially is that running around a lot and pressing should be a given, we need more on top of that.

He made 30 yards of forward passes last night, Hamer and Palmer made almost 500 yards between them. I don't really care how much pressing he does, 30 yards of progressive passes is not good enough for an attacking midfielder.

The other midfielders press and contribute in other ways. Allen's great at pressing but severely lacking elsewhere.
Well, Mark Robins and I disagree with you… :ROFLMAO:

PVA

Well, Mark Robins and I disagree with you… :ROFLMAO:

You're welcome to your opinion 👍🏻

Mark Robins doesn't have much choice but to play him. As I have said, if O'Hare was fit then I am quite sure Allen would be mostly on the bench. He'd certainly still start some games, because he absolutely has a role to play, but O'Hare and Palmer would be the first choice pairing.

NorthernWisdom

Mark Robins doesn't have much choice but to play him
Not true though. Just the other game he decided he was the better option than either Eccles or Palmer. He's signed Maguire who could play there.

He's also the one who plays just about every game this season, unlike many of the others. The fact he's ended up Captain would be madness if he was considered in just because of injuries.

No doubt at some stage he'll get a rest, but it'll be that rather than being dropped.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Of course running is important.

But at this level you need more than just running and pressing. That should be a given, you still need to provide more than that.

30 yards of forward passes and 20 yards of progressive carries (both the lowest in the team) is simply not acceptable for an attacking midfielder in my opinion and no amount of pressing is going to change my mind.

Injuries and lack of funds mean he has to start, I get that. But if O'Hare was fit right now then Allen would be on the bench.

As I've said before, I'm not hating on the guy. He does some things really well and I cannot fault his effort and commitment, and he has a role to play, but we need more than that and unfortunately he's just not technically good enough to be a starting attacking midfielder in a team that has playoff ambitions.
Fortunately the team isn't picked on what you'd like the players to do.

Allen has started every game but one. Robins clearly sees him as an integral part of the way we play.

NorthernWisdom

Fortunately the team isn't picked on what you'd like the players to do.

Allen has started every game but one. Robins clearly sees him as an integral part of the way we play.
He'd probably play less if everybody was fit, but that also might help him keep up his best level of performance rather than having to play through peaks and troughs. The others have had that opportunity after all.

Reactions: PVA

PVA

Not true though. Just the other game he decided he was the better option than either Eccles or Palmer. He's signed Maguire who could play there.

He's also the one who plays just about every game this season, unlike many of the others. The fact he's ended up Captain would be madness if he was considered in just because of injuries.

No doubt at some stage he'll get a rest, but it'll be that rather than being dropped.

Liam Kelly is club captain so I don't think that particularly theory holds much value I'm afraid!

If O'Hare is fit then him and Palmer would be first choice and absolutely nothing will change my mind on that. It would be absurd to sign Palmer on big wages and have him on the bench behind Allen.

I think the vast majority on this forum agree with me.

PVA

He'd probably play less if everybody was fit, but that also might help him keep up his best level of performance rather than having to play through peaks and troughs. The others have had that opportunity after all.

I agree with you there 👍🏻

NorthernWisdom

Liam Kelly is club captain so I don't think that particularly theory holds much value I'm afraid!

If O'Hare is fit then him and Palmer would be first choice and absolutely nothing will change my mind on that. It would be absurd to sign Palmer on big wages and have him on the bench behind Allen.

He's club captain and was made Captain of the team when considered integral to it

If absurd, why did Robins want to do just that only at the weekend?

Last season, the majority decided he was good...

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Interesting Robins put allen in a select few after the match who he thought played really well .. the lad must be doing what Robins is asking , we know when a player does his own things , Robins usually pulls them out
So he's literally just being asked to run around and that's it?

shmmeee

The 4's and 5's for Allen are ridiculous. Every single player played their part yesterday. If any of our players had been a 4 or a 5 we wouldn't have won the match. It was a great team performance.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

That’s nonsense, of course a team can carry a bad performance and win, just like we can lose and have someone play a blinder.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

when Millwall were attacking, who’s chasing back to cover the wing backs, Allen. When we have a break, who’s busting a gut to get in the area, Allen.
He's chasing back but not challenging. He's busting a gut to get forward but slows an attack down when he gets the ball. I appreciate that he works hard, but too often it's not enough.

shmmeee

This is such a myth. His positioning and running is bad more than it’s good. He’s never in position to receive the ball, he’s almost always in no man’s land when defending, he doesn’t cut off passing options and is mostly passed around or just ran past as if he’s not there. He tears about the place from one player to another like a school kid but he has so little impact on the game. And people will find one pass he made in 90 mins to claim that’s OK while harping on that Palmer doesn’t impact every minute of the 90.

Fact is we’ve got no one else. Maguire is clearly crap and Robins is reluctant to play two even when Godden is fit.

olderskyblue

We’re not trying to change your mind, we’re trying to educate you ;)

Shmmeee is a lost cause, but we thought you were worth spending a little extra effort on… :ROFLMAO:

fernandopartridge

This is such a myth. His positioning and running is bad more than it’s good. He’s never in position to receive the ball, he’s almost always in no man’s land when defending, he doesn’t cut off passing options and is mostly passed around or just ran past as if he’s not there. He tears about the place from one player to another like a school kid but he has so little impact on the game. And people will find one pass he made in 90 mins to claim that’s OK while harping on that Palmer doesn’t impact every minute of the 90.

Fact is we’ve got no one else. Maguire is clearly crap and Robins is reluctant to play two even when Godden is fit.

Maguire is clearly crap? Based on what?

Grendel

You're welcome to your opinion 👍🏻

Mark Robins doesn't have much choice but to play him. As I have said, if O'Hare was fit then I am quite sure Allen would be mostly on the bench. He'd certainly still start some games, because he absolutely has a role to play, but O'Hare and Palmer would be the first choice pairing.

why didn’t they play more than what 2 games when o hare was fit?

Grendel

We’re not trying to change your mind, we’re trying to educate you ;)

Shmmeee is a lost cause, but we thought you were worth spending a little extra effort on… :ROFLMAO:

his posting history on Allen shows he made his mind up years ago - 3 years ago as an example “Allen has zero technical ability”

Users who are viewing this thread