Match Thread Middlesbrough (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Suspect Robins will view that as job done in the first half. Be interesting to see if he sticks with what we're doing and tries to grind out a 0-0 or will he be tempted to bring a couple of Kelly, O'Hare and Walker on and try and get us moving forward a bit more.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm more than happy to keep it tight but this boro team are dreadful

They are here for the taking.

How they've only lost one game (Watford) is baffling - although we've looked like creating little to be fair, so if I was one of their fans i'd not be too concerned. Surely we'll create more this half? Still take 0-0 though (even if I've paid to watch it!!)

Happy_Martian

Been impressed with the CBs and their distribution for the most part. WBs have done well and Giles has had his winger (Spence?) in his pocket. So much so that the guy has swapped sides and isn't getting much change from McCallum either. Hamer is a star again. But everyone else is underperforming and giving the ball away needlessly.

Someone's already mentioned it but we need to be awake when the 2nd half starts and not concede straightaway. 10-15 mins into the 2nd half, I can see us upping the pace as they become more desperate to win at home.

ccfcway

Yes, think you've misunderstood me. It's an understandable response from Robins to set us up to get to HT at 0-0 when we've just conceded 4 and been leaking goals. Not pretty on the eye but probably needed. Expect the wing backs to be a bit more attacking 2nd half and to see O'Hare for Shipley sooner rather than later.

completely with you. was agreeing

CCFCSteve

Awful game to watch but been pretty solid. Can’t disagree with thoughts on Shippers and Allen, poor so far (lightweight and wasteful), leaving Godden isolated. Think Allen’s struggled this season, I’d have him as a replacement for OHare but not starting. Would take a point

chiefdave

Feel sorry for Godden with Shipley & Allen behind him this evening 👎🏼👎🏼
Not much for him at the moment, everyone else is so deep he's either got to try and hold on to it for a ridiculous amount of time while players get up to support him or go for some amazing solo effort. Both seem pretty unlikely.

The difficulty is getting players up to support him, or even going two up front, without letting them walk through our midfield.

Sky Blue Harry H

Their commentator said it best.... We're playing a back 5... They aren't wing backs tonight

That's why we're not getting up the pitch. One break from Giles.]. where he played it back instead of across for Shipley's run.

Grendel

It reminds me of the games we scraped by in the 80’s and found a 1 nil we can’t play at this level and need to keep to nil nil and try and strike from the odd chance - it’s the best strategy to survive not kid ourselves we can compete on a footballing level

Mucca Mad Boys

Would love to see Godden and Walker together but that would weaken our midfield (or we lose a CB). We're holding this because of the formation so far. Changing it and we're likely to collapse.

We’ve just not had much production to warrant playing 2 AMs this season. At least Shipley and COH have goals in them.

Could’ve been worse. The attacking midfielders have been pointless. Need Giles in our attacks more if we’re going to score but at least he’s not getting beat defensively as often as normal.

It might be worth being Dabo on to switch McCallum at LWB and push Giles forward.

I’m happy with a point, but we’ve not looked threatening at all really.

hill83

Yea I mean that's obvious, but for the most part we sit 10 behind the ball and tell godden to run and chase 20 yards ahead of the rest

Because we aren’t good enough to play our game in this league. (So far etc) Too slow on the ball, chased down by bigger faster and better players which leaves us panicking and launching it early. Leaving Godden out of position. If we do end up with the second ball from launching it their arse goes. And Godden still out of position as he’s the one trying to win the launch.

Evo1883

It reminds me of the games we scraped by in the 80’s and found a 1 nil we can’t play at this level and need to keep to nil nil and try and strike from the odd chance - it’s the best strategy to survive not kid ourselves we can compete on a footballing level

I mean you are correct, we are used to (over the last 3 years) of being better than the majority.... It's now a case of going back to a time that once was and scrapping to survive...

Evo1883

I mean I'd take 0-0 so I'm not sure why I'm moaning
giphy.gif

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Feel desperately sorry for Godden. All he has to work off is long balls and chasing his own flick ons.

Two supporting midfielders whoever is has been this season have been absolutely woeful and same again tonight.

ccfcway

Because we aren’t good enough to play our game in this league. (So far etc) Too slow on the ball, chased down by bigger faster and better players which leaves us panicking and launching it early. Leaving Godden out of position. If we do end up with the second ball from launching it their arse goes. And Godden still out of position as he’s the one trying to win the launch.

bloody common sense hey !

theferret

I think you're right to a point, but even you must agree that we need to show more attacking intent than that. I'm sure we will, perhaps tonight was inevitable after the drubbing at the weekend. I do worry that we lack the power and pace needed to punish teams on the break.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I would say the tactics so far are spot on. It is nice to get to half time without a sending off or letting in a goal.

Hopefully on 60 we will open the taps.

Users who are viewing this thread