Micky Adams (2 Viewers)

TheHellion

Very good point. I remember in that season we reached a low point late November/early December. The big crowds that had come for the Ricoh opening were starting to dwindle & we found ourselves just above the relegation places.

Against Plymouth at the start of December we went 1-0 down. Adams made a triple substituion after only about 30 mins, which brought on Hutchinson. We ended up winning 3-1, and went on to win 3 of the next 6, at which point Wise come in.

Wise did make a massive difference, but we had started to pick up once Hutchison come in.

I remember there was an evening game against Sheffield Wednesday that season. The way we'd been playing, I felt sure we'd have been in the bottom three after it as we'd lose. You are correct, it is often overlooked the impact Don had when he came in. He was a different class, you could see it. Adding Wise to that mix made us a tough side. Two of the finest players we had in our second tier run.

That Plymouth game sticks out. It was Matt Heath who caused all the trouble, he took a bang on the head and insisted he didn't want to come off. Between the medical staff and Adams, Heath was told he would be coming off. That triple sub completely changed the game that day.

The astonishing thing, when you look back at that season, we lost only 4 home games! On the basis of our home record alone, we'd have been in the play-offs. Shame our away form was so awful.

coundonskyblue

I remember there was an evening game against Sheffield Wednesday that season. The way we'd been playing, I felt sure we'd have been in the bottom three after it as we'd lose. You are correct, it is often overlooked the impact Don had when he came in. He was a different class, you could see it. Adding Wise to that mix made us a tough side. Two of the finest players we had in our second tier run.

That Plymouth game sticks out. It was Matt Heath who caused all the trouble, he took a bang on the head and insisted he didn't want to come off. Between the medical staff and Adams, Heath was told he would be coming off. That triple sub completely changed the game that day.

The astonishing thing, when you look back at that season, we lost only 4 home games! On the basis of our home record alone, we'd have been in the play-offs. Shame our away form was so awful.

And 3 of those 4 games was before November!

Think we went from November to April without losing a home game. Then losing to Preston (as always!).

SBS

Very good point. I remember in that season we reached a low point late November/early December. The big crowds that had come for the Ricoh opening were starting to dwindle & we found ourselves just above the relegation places.

Against Plymouth at the start of December we went 1-0 down. Adams made a triple substituion after only about 30 mins, which brought on Hutchinson. We ended up winning 3-1, and went on to win 3 of the next 6, at which point Wise come in.

Wise did make a massive difference, but we had started to pick up once Hutchison come in.

Yeah that game seemed to be the turning point in our season. Both of them were the two most influential signings since the Premier League days in my opinion. It's a shame we got them towards the end of their careers, but at the same time that was sort of what made it special - they made a big impression in such a short amount of time.

Hutchinson was a class act, I remember reading that he gave his wages at Luton to the youth players when things went tits up there.

Users who are viewing this thread