Micky Adams (1 Viewer)

daz_doc

Glad to see he is doing well at Port Vale. Never thought he got a fair crack of the whip, particularly given the ability of those that followed him.

TheHellion

Yes but we needed to beat Derby last game at HR to stay up too with him in charge.

Mostly down to the shocking form we'd shown under Peter Reid that season surely?

I always liked him simply for that one season we finished 8th. Built a team that made the Ricoh "Fortress Ricoh" for that season. What really finished Adams off was, I believe, having McSheffrey sold off, and Wise retiring to take up his position at Swindon. In effect, he lost the two best players from the season before and they were not sufficiently replaced.

Sick Boy

Yes but we needed to beat Derby last game at HR to stay up too with him in charge.
Could well have been in our Cup Final side if we hadn't sold him.
He scored some inportant goals for us.

Are you sure we had to beat them? I thought we more or less secured safety after beating Brighton?

He should have been given more time, far far worse managers since have received much more support than him since he left.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ultimately his reign was doomed by the big outlays on McKenzie and Kyle as replacements for a McSheffrey in his prime, coupled with failure to replace Wise. He got us 8th largely on freebies and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Brighton Sky Blue

Could well have been in our Cup Final side if we hadn't sold him.
He scored some inportant goals for us.

Nonsense-he was brought in to salvage Peter 'Instant Success' Reid's mess.

Astute

Wise got us to 8th. Anyone not in agreement has a short memory.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

In my opinion he was our best manager since we left the Premiership. OK, that's not much of a compliment. Adams found Wise so Adams has to take some of the credit. Hopefully Robins will prove to be better than Adams.

Mucca Mad Boys

Mostly down to the shocking form we'd shown under Peter Reid that season surely?

I always liked him simply for that one season we finished 8th. Built a team that made the Ricoh "Fortress Ricoh" for that season. What really finished Adams off was, I believe, having McSheffrey sold off, and Wise retiring to take up his position at Swindon. In effect, he lost the two best players from the season before and they were not sufficiently replaced.

Sounds familiar. :whistle: :thinking about:

Sick Boy

Wise got us to 8th. Anyone not in agreement has a short memory.

Wise was an excellent signing by the manager, so why is Adams not given the credit he deserves for bringing him into the club?

The very vast majority of fans were very much against the signing of Wise due to his age, if the majority had of got their way he wouldn't have got anywhere near the club.

WillieStanley

Micky should be credited fro bringing him to the club... but it was the way Wise came in, grabbed us by the scruff of the neck and dragged us up the table. We were headed for a typical languished season prior to that. Another manager who I so desperately wanted to do well, but so often under him it was just kick and run football with players all over the shop, not knowing what their jobs were.

Dowie really showed him up when he replace Adams.

Brighton Sky Blue

Micky should be credited fro bringing him to the club... but it was the way Wise came in, grabbed us by the scruff of the neck and dragged us up the table. We were headed for a typical languished season prior to that. Another manager who I so desperately wanted to do well, but so often under him it was just kick and run football with players all over the shop, not knowing what their jobs were.

Dowie really showed him up when he replace Adams.

The resources we had in 2005/6 were pretty scant to be fair WS-we had players on non contract terms and assembled a side heavily reliant on free transfers, so nobody expected anything great. Ironically when we actually had cash to flash and expectations were raised, we did far worse-MA went from being expected to finish 21st to play-off aspirations almost overnight; don't think he ever got to grips with it and the ill judged signings of Kyle and McKenzie embodied that.

WillieStanley

Bar Barnett and Stephen Wright, worse Cov player I have ever seen.

Brown is moving towards them haha

Poor old Stephen Wright. Another who was given the armband purely because he was a senior member of the squad. 29 (I think) year old running around like a 40 year old on 40 a day!!

Brighton Sky Blue

Poor old Stephen Wright. Another who was given the armband purely because he was a senior member of the squad. 29 (I think) year old running around like a 40 year old on 40 a day!!

Won't ever forget his OG against Pompey in the FA Cup-Westwood never had a chance.

SBS

A lot of people remember Wise in that season, but Don Hutchinson was also a great signing. His goal against Leeds was magic.

Mucca Mad Boys

A little bit like Lee Sawyer if that rings any bells.

Oh he was shit, but I'll never forget Barnett (in Hall's last game for CCFC, which he didn't play, Coleman :jerkit:), when he tried to shield the ball, without taking a touch, gave a pen and they scored :facepalm: he was an embarrassment!!! I'll never know why/how he'd start ahead of Ward, or anyone for that matter!

Mucca Mad Boys

He was an embarrassment as well! When Coleman played him and McIndoe wing backs, that was it for me (although the final straw went ages ago!) :facepalm: Coleman really fucked us over, our worst (and somehow longest serving) manager in the SISU period, he had some backing, and a good team, and we only achieved lower league mediocracy under his tenure as manager!

Anyone remember when he threw his armband at the ref!? :jerkit: worse captain I have seen.

Seriously, how did he ever play a game for Liverpool!? Worse still, got a FA Cup winners medal :thinking about: :whistle:

Grendel

adams signed kyle? enough said about his managment ability

Mcsheffrey I believe was sold a few days before the transfer window. Adams had less than half the money to spend and gambled on 2 signings its interesting because Kyle always has the vitriol but the other signing was just as poor and many liked him.

wingy

Yeah the Vittriol occured becuase we found out he was on £8K. a week ,shocking is'nt it comparing it to some of the deals others have been on circa last 3 yrs.Bristol City have just lost £14.4M. out of a turnvoer of £24-£25M. , player wages £18.3M.,that just to achieve 4th or 5th from bottom,we were running around £6M. under that for tha last couple of championship years .

Brighton Sky Blue

Mcsheffrey I believe was sold a few days before the transfer window. Adams had less than half the money to spend and gambled on 2 signings its interesting because Kyle always has the vitriol but the other signing was just as poor and many liked him.

McKenzie had injury issues throughout his spell here. Kyle was simply atrocious.

SkyblueBazza

Wise was an excellent signing by the manager, so why is Adams not given the credit he deserves for bringing him into the club?

The very vast majority of fans were very much against the signing of Wise due to his age, if the majority had of got their way he wouldn't have got anywhere near the club.

Many people talk about "the majority" when what they really mean is "the noisy"...unless there has been some referendum(s) amongst all SB fans that don't know about???

coundonskyblue

A lot of people remember Wise in that season, but Don Hutchinson was also a great signing. His goal against Leeds was magic.

Very good point. I remember in that season we reached a low point late November/early December. The big crowds that had come for the Ricoh opening were starting to dwindle & we found ourselves just above the relegation places.

Against Plymouth at the start of December we went 1-0 down. Adams made a triple substituion after only about 30 mins, which brought on Hutchinson. We ended up winning 3-1, and went on to win 3 of the next 6, at which point Wise come in.

Wise did make a massive difference, but we had started to pick up once Hutchison come in.

Users who are viewing this thread