Michael Rose (1 Viewer)

Pete in Portugal

We can blame MR and players as much as we want, question tactics and speculate on rumours but one thing we can all agree on is this squad is lacking in quality and depth having had a piss poor transfer window arguably the team is weaker by a mile than last season.

there is only one party to blame for that and its our owners and their total lack of support for improving this team and pushing forward. Sisu seem to be happy for us to languish in league 1

I suspect it's partly because, having not attracted any suitable buyers, SISU can run the club closer to break even in league 1. So they are not too interested in investing to keep us in the Championship where we are loss making. The total lack of ambition, both on and off the pitch, now appears to be getting to the management and the team. It's unsustainable - something has to give.

CovLis86

Was it for the 2nd goal you watch and he's literally strolling back, their midfielder jogs past him into the area and squares it for a simple tap in. Absolutely unacceptable. One thing he apparently has is a bit of pace and he can't even be bothered to use it. We need rid he's costing us dearly everytime he plays.

no_loyalty

I rated him and thought he was hard done by when taken out of the team, but after yesterday’s appalling performance I will be happy for him to stay on the bench.

fatso

I know I’ll get shouted down but this team so misses a Doyle it’s untrue. We did well 18 months ago when Matty James took that kind of role, Kelly nearly did it but is injured to pension now.

I hate the idea of signing 30+ year olds, but we most certainly need a grown up in the centre right now.
Kelly would do the job if/when fit.
He can also pass better than Doyle did.

clint van damme

We need some dynamism in midfield. A strong runner who can carry the ball. Allen is sadly not good enough. Converting Waghorn - he doesn't have the legs or pace. If young Doyle can settle in then Panzo could go in and help Sheaf and hamer in the absence of Kelly?

Not sure why theres always calls to play players out of position?
If we're looking at playing a holding midfielder, which is something I think we should be looking at, surely the only fit option is Eccles?

PVA

Kelly would do the job if/when fit.
He can also pass better than Doyle did.

Yeah, in League Two.

Kelly's distribution is not good enough at this level. He can still do a job in certain scenarios though.

speedie87

Let's be honest, the defence has been pretty shite for most of 2022. Even with Hyam, JCS and Maatsen, we were leaking goals.

It could be something deeper than individuals.

Yeah big part is not having a proper defensive midfielder holding in there like Kelly did

Paxman II

Not sure why theres always calls to play players out of position?
If we're looking at playing a holding midfielder, which is something I think we should be looking at, surely the only fit option is Eccles?

Sometimes you find a player you can play in a different roll and he takes to it really well. I feel Panzo could do a job their. Eccles is woeful tbh. Not good enough at this level. Lightweight, injury prone and lacking confidence. We tried this last season with some good success when we played Maatsen there. Those that make fun of comments on here btw need to provide their solution and not just post a ridicule comment like a moron.

clint van damme

Sometimes you find a player you can play in a different roll and he takes to it really well. I feel Panzo could do a job their. Eccles is woeful tbh. Not good enough at this level. Lightweight, injury prone and lacking confidence. We tried this last season with some good success when we played Maatsen there. Those that make fun of comments on here btw need to provide their solution and not just post a ridicule comment like a moron.

I think Eccles has always looked decent in midfield. Although he looked OK at wing back prior to this season.

Reactions: AOM

pusbccfc

stay_up_skyblues

Yeah, in League Two.

Kelly's distribution is not good enough at this level. He can still do a job in certain scenarios though.

For a Championship team knocking on the door of top six and playing free flowing football Kelly sits on the bench. For the relegation dogfight we are seemingly entering his style and experience will be crucial.

When is he back?

Legia Sky Blue

The soft goals we are conceding seems similar to the first few months when we first returned to the Championship. It needs to be addressed quickly as conceding 2+ goals a game is a surefire feature of a team heading for relegation. We managed to improve defensively 2 seasons ago as the season progressed, so hopefully we can do so again.

Sick Boy

You also insisted Jones would be pivotal for us last season.

Grendel

look he’s obviously not as good as Hyam and not really up to the standard but not really his fault that Hyam got sold last minute and he’s now the only right footed centre back

not sure this sort of thread is helpful

yes our defence was totally watertight when Hyam was playing

SeaSeeEffCee

We need someone to tie us over until Jason Denayer comes in tbf

slowpoke

Against Sunderland Panzo was excellent and seemed to play more advanced than the back line. Only one game but Doyle looked a better defender but as I said that’s only after one game.

stevefloyd

People forget how effective Kelly is. Even in the Championship. May not be as good in possession as Sheaf or Hamer but protects the back four much better in my opinion.
Unfortunately, Kelly needs to be fit to get the best out of him and usually when he starts to get fit he gets injured, rinse and repeat and age isn't with him now

junglej13

Unfortunately, Kelly needs to be fit to get the best out of him and usually when he starts to get fit he gets injured, rinse and repeat and age isn't with him now
Agree his fitness is a constant concern. One of a number of the old guard from League One who struggle to string a few games together without an injury.

PVA

Been decent the last two games.

Which I think proves that dropping him wasn't the cause of our improved defensive displays. It was clearly a collective effort and whoever plays we look pretty solid now.

Liquid Gold

I'm still not sure if he gets a new contract at the end of the year.

He needs to take his form from the last two games and replicate through the season.

fatso

He needs to take his form from the last two games and replicate through the season.
100% gets a new contract offer, we ain't exactly overloaded with experienced defenders, it's whether he signs it or opts for a new challenge and regular game time that's the question.

stupot07

We almost have to give him a new contract otherwise we're in danger of going into next season without a senior centre half. Panzo and Doyle will return to their club, Fadz is out of contract and will be 36, let Rose go as well then we'll be fucked.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

We almost have to give him a new contract otherwise we're in danger of going into next season without a senior centre half. Panzo and Doyle will return to their club, Fadz is out of contract and will be 36, let Rose go as well then we'll be fucked.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Wasn’t he complaining over the summer about his contract? Based on that he’d probably want a decent hike in wages - if we’re faced with the current issues with making signings again, it’d definitely be money well spent.

slowpoke

He had a rough season last year in and out through injury and struggled to secure a regular spot this run decent of games he’s now having and in his strongest position do him no harm, I have always rated him.

Last edited:

Skybluedownunder

Wasn’t he complaining over the summer about his contract? Based on that he’d probably want a decent hike in wages - if we’re faced with the current issues with making signings again, it’d definitely be money well spent.

That was Fadz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

long way home

By the look of it MR and his coaching staff are asking very simple things of all the players and asking them to play within themselves. Do a job, that all know and are comfortable doing while understanding an individual and collective responsibility to each other.

We look content not having the ball, we seem to be happy to drop deep and look solid at defending anything while keeping all in front of us. We recover and get our shape faster than we did before which allows us to close passing lanes quicker. We just look solid and teams are finding it hard to create clear openings against us.

Players like Fadz are loving it, no pressure on him to be Baresi, just kick, head and block everything that comes his way. Panzo, Rose and Doyle are the same they keep it simple, the ball is going long or out if nothing is on. Which is why all are doing well, as a team we press, cover and balance each other all over the pitch. Its probably been hours of work on the training pitch, which is ultimately is about not getting isolated in and around our box.

The clever thing we do is what Sheff Utd manager spotted, we set traps. Not all filter back all the time, we leave spare up and it makes the opposition wary of leaving space. They cant leave Vik and once Palmer, Hamer and O hare get on they wil be very wary of turning the ball over or leaving space behind them. Its definitely going to be interesting to see how we balance it.

But lets hope it carries on, Stoke will test us on Saturday the left sided player will be a handful with his pace. And Powell is a top player when fit, they could find a way to get behind us, be happy with a pt.

Users who are viewing this thread