Messi leaving Barca (1 Viewer)

Bugsy

PL is one of if not the most competitive league out there

Bugsy

In the past two seasons the winners have amassed 199 points between them, that is about as uncompetitive as you can get.

Fair doos at the winners of the league but got to admit that champions league places Europa league places and the relegation places are competitive

Liquid Gold

Fair doos at the winners of the league but got to admit that champions league places Europa league places and the relegation places are competitive
The relegation places are competitive in thee sense that the entire bottom half of the division is shit scared of getting relegated because they get pumped most weeks by super clubs.

Bugsy

The relegation places are competitive in thee sense that the entire bottom half of the division is shit scared of getting relegated because they get pumped most weeks by super clubs.

True lol, the top 6 to 8 will be more competitive this season I reckon thou.

mark82

Number of different teams who have won a title in the last 20 years:

La Liga: 4
Premier League: 6

clint van damme

Number of different teams who have won a title in the last 20 years:

La Liga: 4
Premier League: 6

Do you really think that that's a better indicator of the strength of the respective league's than performances in the Champions league,Europa league and international competitions?

Evo1883

Messi will absolutely ruin defenders in the premier league today, it will be a stroll in the park for him

mark82

Which is why I think that Spain's 10 Europa league wins this century to England's 3 suggests the standard of the middle band of teams is higher.

Not sure. Think they've taken it more seriously. Don't think there's a huge amount in it to be honest. The new Champions League spot in the Europa League helps. But I think teams like Sevilla are slightly ahead of teams like Everton. The top of the Premier League is generally more competitive (this year aside). Again, it's the difference between being competitive and being better quality. Difference between bottom and top is slightly less in PL. Messi won't score here like he did in Spain IMO.

Evo1883

Not sure. Think they've taken it more seriously. Don't think there's a huge amount in it to be honest. The new Champions League spot in the Europa League helps. But I think teams like Sevilla are slightly ahead of teams like Everton. The top of the Premier League is generally more competitive (this year aside). Again, it's the difference between being competitive and being better quality. Difference between bottom and top is slightly less in PL. Messi won't score here like he did in Spain IMO.

To be fair, he has 26 goals in 34 games against our top teams in the CL
This was sevilla against wolves, it's not even the amount of shots etc that struck me it was the possession.. I wonder how many times that happened to wolves in the prem last season IMG_20200904_073111.png

Last edited:

clint van damme

To be fair, he has 26 goals in 34 games against our top teams in the CL
This was sevilla against wolves, it's not even the amount of shots etc that struck me it was the possession.. I wonder how many times that happened to wolves in the prem last season View attachment 16777

But those goals were against the likes of Man United and Chelsea.
Doesn't mean he'd score against Burnley and Villa!!

Frostie

I think they are different players that offer similar results...
Messi is more naturally gifted and can do things with the ball Ronaldo could never, Ronaldo is a machine with pace, power and skill

I'm not a fan of the incessant comparisons between the 2. I think we should all just be grateful to have lived in the era where 2 of the all time greats consistently perform to incredible levels.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think they are different players that offer similar results...
Messi is more naturally gifted and can do things with the ball Ronaldo could never, Ronaldo is a machine with pace, power and skill

I think if he wanted it Ronaldo could keep going into his 40s he's that much of a machine.

Travs

Was always going to happen. Little whingearse that wouldn't have the minerals to move out of his comfort zone

I understand the point people make about Ronaldo doing it in three major leagues... but i don't necessarily agree with it...

Do we denigrate the likes of Baresi and Maldini for being one-club men? No chance...

Ian1779

I understand the point people make about Ronaldo doing it in three major leagues... but i don't necessarily agree with it...

Do we denigrate the likes of Baresi and Maldini for being one-club men? No chance...
I don’t think this is the same kind of comparison. Despite Baresi and Maldini being world-class players we aren’t talking about them being all time greatest. They were also defenders (not that their capability should be underestimated because of that) but it’s not comparative.

I think that Messi could hack it here in the PL - just wish we could see it happen.

Travs

I'd certainly say Baresi was all-time greatest defender, along with Beckenbauer... Can't really compare positions... Obviously Messi/Ronaldo will be seen as bigger greats due to the position they play in, but the likes of Baresi were just as good in their position.

Whilst Messi would undoubtedly be one of the first names in my all time XI, I'd have Beckenbauer, Baresi and Matthaus as equally important.

Users who are viewing this thread