Messi leaving Barca (2 Viewers)

Covstu

Messi is the last of that great Barca era, all the rest gone out to pasture elsewhere. His options are limited to city, PSG, United and Chelsea at a push. Munich wouldn’t be able to afford him, couldn’t fit in a Juve with Ronny there. Would be hilarious if Madrid got him!
still feel it’s a cry for a contract renegotiation tactic

Terry Gibson's perm

Says a lot about him as a person that he has a deal where he can walk away for free, he is too powerful at the club and they are obviously spending too much of their playing budget on him. Having said that I think he will stop as they will just give him what he wants

Brighton Sky Blue

Im not saying they don't. Nor am I saying Real Madrid or Barca are shit. (If thats what you took from my post then shit the bed, you need help) im saying that I could play up front for Barca in the Spanish leagues and score 30 a season, its not hard. And if Messi wants to lose that "tag" then he has to prove he can do it elsewhere (like Ronaldo has time and time again). If he's happy being the top scorer in a dreadful league though, then kudos to him, but for that reason, he'll NEVER be the true G.O.A.T like CR7 is.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Atletico Madrid knocked out our runaway league winners and Sevilla knocked out Utd. It’s hardly ‘dreadful’

pastythegreat

Atletico Madrid knocked out our runaway league winners and Sevilla knocked out Utd. It’s hardly ‘dreadful’
And lower league teams beat premier league teams EVERY season in the FA Cup. Does that mean we can say the standard of football in non league is similar to the Premier league?
All form and stats go out the window in cup competitions. Always have done and always will do.

AOM

Imagine having a clause where he can decide to leave if he wants.

That sort of shit is their problem, giving him too much power.

I heard there's a clause in Hamer 's contract where he will have to do a stint behind the counter in the club shop if he ever wants to leave

Travs

This notion that the Premier League is the best in the world is really dated, and generally shows the ignorance of English football fans (not picking specifically on anybody here)...

Spanish league "only two teams are any good".... Yes European games are a cup and a lottery, but English clubs regularly turned over by Spanish, with some clear examples this year. Does anyone think Man Utd would finish 4th or higher in Spain... not a chance...

French league described above as a "joke league".... well they just had two teams in the last 4 of the Champions League... if they had been English clubs we'd all be wanking over our screens "best league in the world".

English league is far from "shit" but it's no better than any other top European league... Liverpool ran away with it this year... any match involving top 6 vs anybody else is usually attack vs defence.

Brighton Sky Blue

And lower league teams beat premier league teams EVERY season in the FA Cup. Does that mean we can say the standard of football in non league is similar to the Premier league?
All form and stats go out the window in cup competitions. Always have done and always will do.

No you’re right La Liga is a pub league

clint van damme

Im not saying they don't. Nor am I saying Real Madrid or Barca are shit. (If thats what you took from my post then shit the bed, you need help) im saying that I could play up front for Barca in the Spanish leagues and score 30 a season, its not hard. And if Messi wants to lose that "tag" then he has to prove he can do it elsewhere (like Ronaldo has time and time again). If he's happy being the top scorer in a dreadful league though, then kudos to him, but for that reason, he'll NEVER be the true G.O.A.T like CR7 is.

if the EPL is so strong how come the Europa league, which is essentially a best of the rest competition, has been won on 10 occasions this century by Spanish clubs and 3 times by English clubs?

Surely if the rest of La Liga is weak that wouldn't be happening?

pastythegreat

if the EPL is so strong how come the Europa league, which is essentially a best of the rest competition, has been won on 10 occasions this century by Spanish clubs and 3 times by English clubs?

Not won by "Spanish Teams", won by either Real Madrid OR Barca. There is no other "Spanish Teams" about it!

TomRad85

Absolutely spot on.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ian1779

I’d like to Messi come to the PL to see if his immense talent will still shine through as much in the most physically demanding top league in Europe.

NorthernWisdom

I’d like to Messi come to the PL to see if his immense talent will still shine through as much in the most physically demanding top league in Europe.
It would be a top test in that respect. He's got all the skill in the world, but isn't as strong as Ronaldo etc.

He's also arguably past his prime, mind you, so not sure what we'd learn if he didn't do it, other than Barcelona got his best years!

Brighton Sky Blue

It would be a top test in that respect. He's got all the skill in the world, but isn't as strong as Ronaldo etc.

He's also arguably past his prime, mind you, so not sure what we'd learn if he didn't do it, other than Barcelona got his best years!

Ronaldo is the better all round player without much question. Maybe Messi could sign for us and 'do it on a cold night in Stoke'

clint van damme

he's scored 26 times in 34 games against English opposition, not sure he's got much to prove.

NorthernWisdom

he's scored 26 times in 34 games against English opposition, not sure he's got much to prove.
I guess it depends what he wants to achieve. He's won everything with his club, scored masses, but there'd always be the argument that's in a team set up for him and his strengths.

To a degree, it really would cement his reputation as one of the true greats if he went elsewhere and was successful. At the same time, he has the chance to be a one club man at one of the biggest in the world, and be on his own in the legends stakes there.

clint van damme

I guess it depends what he wants to achieve. He's won everything with his club, scored masses, but there'd always be the argument that's in a team set up for him and his strengths.

To a degree, it really would cement his reputation as one of the true greats if he went elsewhere and was successful. At the same time, he has the chance to be a one club man at one of the biggest in the world, and be on his own in the legends stakes there.

to be honest, any manager who had Messi in his team and didn't set it up to play to his strengths shouldn't be anywhere near a football club!

I would love him to come to England he's my favourite player to watch but I do get the arguments as to why Ronaldo is better - did in 3 top leagues, dragged an average Portuguese side to European success, reinvented his style of play etc.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can't see him leaving. This seems to pop up every now and again and he just doesn't strike me as the kind of person that will ever leave.

Darth Robins

He's not shown up for Covid testing to start training and has told the club he no longer plays for them. This is going to be extra hilarious if Barca end up getting absolutely no transfer fee for him. He'll demolish Man Citys wage scale but I doubt they care.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What has amazed me is the rumours over who Man City would be willing to swap to bring Messi in. Some decent, young players for an ageing superstar for maybe one or two seasons in a very physical league much different to what he's used to. Would be a massively short-sighted decision.

Marty

La Liga saying he must stay unless his release clause is triggered, looks like he'll now spend all season playing Golf with Bale.

Brighton Sky Blue

What has amazed me is the rumours over who Man City would be willing to swap to bring Messi in. Some decent, young players for an ageing superstar for maybe one or two seasons in a very physical league much different to what he's used to. Would be a massively short-sighted decision.

You're talking about a club that has spent billions of tycoon gold in not much more than 10 years

Evo1883

Did some numbers, well I punched it into my phone and took 2 seconds however.

Man City would have to sell 2 million shirts at 50 pound a pop to make 100,000,000.

I'd imagine Messi would command atleast 500k a week which is over 25 mill a year.

Obviously there are others means of income through Messi IE.. tshirts, mugs, bed sheets, curtains etc...

I'd say over the course of a 2/3 year deal they will generate their money back... Just(due to manufacturing costs etc)

Effectively signing Messi for nowt over the course of his contract

It would be The biggest signing in premier league history by some way

Grendel

It would be the equivalent of signing Pele or Cruyff when they were still best player in the world status. It’s an absolute steal

Evo1883

In regards to the premier league

In the last 15 years la liga teams have won 16 European trophies

Premier league 6

Its not the best league in the world

Most popular yes

Evo1883

Imagine de bruyne, Messi, aguero, sterling and Bernardo silva coming at you ... Frightening really

fernandopartridge

Messi is the last of that great Barca era, all the rest gone out to pasture elsewhere. His options are limited to city, PSG, United and Chelsea at a push. Munich wouldn’t be able to afford him, couldn’t fit in a Juve with Ronny there. Would be hilarious if Madrid got him!
still feel it’s a cry for a contract renegotiation tactic
Munich has the 4th highest turnover in Europe, they probably could afford him but wouldn't be so stupid as to do it. They're already domestic and European champions.

fernandopartridge

Well top English teams consistently struggle against midtable Spanish teams

mark82

In regards to the premier league

In the last 15 years la liga teams have won 16 European trophies

Premier league 6

Its not the best league in the world

Most popular yes

Depends if you define quality by just the 2 or 3 teams at the top. Premier League is more competitive down to the bottom than La Liga. Both have their strong points, stupid comparing and trying to find a "best" because it depends on what criteria you apply.

Evo1883

Depends if you define quality by just the 2 or 3 teams at the top. Premier League is more competitive down to the bottom than La Liga. Both have their strong points, stupid comparing and trying to find a "best" because it depends on what criteria you apply.

Not sure teams like Burnley, Brighton, Palace, West brom, villa would be able to deal with the superior technical ability of most Spanish teams tbh

The premier league is currently the least competitive top league in Europe based on the amount of points the division was won by

Brighton Sky Blue

The PL wins for being the most over hyped and having the most money thrown at it, not much else

Users who are viewing this thread