Mentality (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Anyone would think we had a real crisis on the pitch on reading many of these comments.

Calm down lads - we have a really decent squad, an established and respected manager, we play progressive football, we're nicely placed in the table and with a January window ahead to tweak a couple of things. Time to look upwards and not downwards.

We really do have an amazing number of negative posters. I seriously believe that some on here (mention no names but Grendel as the obvious prime candidate) would be vehemently complaining about something ludicrous - even if we'd just completed a Champions League and Club World Cup double.

clint van damme

Anyone would think we had a real crisis on the pitch on reading many of these comments.

Calm down lads - we have a really decent squad, an established and respected manager, we play progressive football, we're nicely placed in the table and with a January window ahead to tweak a couple of things. Time to look upwards and not downwards.

We really do have an amazing number of negative posters. I seriously believe that some on here (mention no names but Grendel as the obvious prime candidate) would be vehemently complaining about something ludicrous - even if we'd just completed a Champions League and Club World Cup double.

I spent much of last season arguing about how well we'd done for our first season back and would have took 8th place at the start of the season. The caveat was that we pushed on this season and got top 6. At the minute there is a danger that won't happen and for the same reasons we fell away last season.
That's not negativity. That's the facts of our current situation.

Grendel

The point - which many have picked up on - is its a mediocre league and a perfect opportunity to get promotion

If we don’t it’s not going to be the same next year. By definition the squad is average along with most other teams and it’s the finer points of management or something that will break out of the pack

Even you would admit say one point in the next two games wouldn’t be good enough?

DannyThomas_1981

Not really sure about the latest cliche either.....'it's a poor League this year so we should be walking it.'

You could equally argue that it's an ultra competitive league since so many teams are competing and in with a shout.

I certainly haven't seen a drop in quality in the teams since last year and anyway not even sure how anyone could even begin to validate a supposed fall in quality in the League.

What I have seen is a drastic improvement in our ability to control games and limit the oppo to very few chances i.e. we've improved year over year does not mean that the League has dropped off in quality.

Reactions: TTG

SlowerThanPlatt

Not really sure about the latest cliche either.....'it's a poor League this year so we should be walking it.'

You could equally argue that it's an ultra competitive league since so many teams are competing and in with a shout.

I certainly haven't seen a drop in quality in the teams since last year and anyway not even sure how anyone could even begin to validate a supposed fall in quality in the League.

What I have seen is a drastic improvement in our ability to control games and limit the oppo to very few chances i.e. we've improved year over year does not mean that the League has dropped off in quality.

The teams are much of a muchness and there isn’t one stand out side. From 9th to second there’s a 3 point gap - last season at the same stage there was was a sixteen point gap

This is definitely our best chance to do something

clint van damme

To be honest, I'd say our season has been the very epitome of not controlling games.
There have been far too many decisive late goals one way or the other for that.

DannyThomas_1981

The point - which many have picked up on - is its a mediocre league and a perfect opportunity to get promotion

If we don’t it’s not going to be the same next year. By definition the squad is average along with most other teams and it’s the finer points of management or something that will break out of the pack

Even you would admit say one point in the next two games wouldn’t be good enough?

I guess if we do get one point in the next two games you'll be back to 'your taxi for Robins' demands - memorably first advocated by yourself in December 2017.

You seem to have a need to project everything as a crisis and then to call for call for the manager's head. It's weird.

Football is an unpredictable game and I would always say look at the bigger picture vs. the next couple of games. We need to back the lads and manager when things get a little tricky in the league.

Reactions: TTG

DannyThomas_1981

To be honest, I'd say our season has been the very epitome of not controlling games.
There have been far too many decisive late goals one way or the other for that.

Agree with much of what you say Clint but I see this one a little differently.

We have controlled the majority of games in terms of possession and limiting the oppo. I would say on average we've controlled 70 minutes of most games.

What we have not done well is in our control of games in the last 10 minutes when we've had a lead - as you've pointed out we have gone far too defensive.

DannyThomas_1981

The teams are much of a muchness and there isn’t one stand out side. From 9th to second there’s a 3 point gap - last season at the same stage there was was a sixteen point gap

This is definitely our best chance to do something

Yes it's our best chance to do something. But in my view that's due to how Robins has evolved the squad and made us competitive in this League vs. the League being poor.

We are nicely placed due to good management and squad building - and with a January window in play as well I'm sure that Robins will tweak it further.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yes it's our best chance to do something. But in my view that's due to how Robins has evolved the squad and made us competitive in this League vs. the League being poor.

We are nicely placed due to good management and squad building - and with a January window in play as well I'm sure that Robins will tweak it further.

How does there no being no stand out team mean Robins has evolved the squad?

DannyThomas_1981

How does there no being no stand out team mean Robins has evolved the squad?
Not sure what a stand out team has to do with anything to be honest. With a large number of teams in with a chance of play off ambitions - my view is that this League is very competitive. My argument was that we are in a competitive position in this League due to Robins.
I do believe that Robins has done a tremendous job of evolving the team and squad since he's returned - a best case defence of that view is to look at our bench from the last game.

SlowerThanPlatt

Not sure what a stand out team has to do with anything to be honest. With a large number of teams in with a chance of play off ambitions - my view is that this League is very competitive. My argument was that we are in a competitive position in this League due to Robins.
I do believe that Robins has done a tremendous job of evolving the team and squad since he's returned - a best case defence of that view is to look at our bench from the last game.

My point is last season if we were 9th on Boxing Day we would be 16 points off the automatics - this season it’s 3. You have agreed it’s our best chance to go up yet we find ourselves 9th and as close to 11th than the automatics.

For example a team like Ipswich who are second would be outside the play offs on last seasons table

cc84cov

My point is last season if we were 9th on Boxing Day we would be 16 points off the automatics - this season it’s 3. You have agreed it’s our best chance to go up yet we find ourselves 9th and as close to 11th than the automatics.
Defo the best chance we’ve had the league is not as strong as previous seasons,my worry is robins doesn’t have the balls to take us up nicking 1-0 home wins isn’t gonna cut it I’m affraid,can anyone see it changing ? We need a striker & creative player...

Bright & striker would be my targets

Grendel

What does evolving the squad even mean and what’s the bigger picture

Danny T Is our very own David Brent

DannyThomas_1981

For example a team like Ipswich who are second would be outside the play offs on last seasons table

Don't really get what you are saying here SlowerThanPlatt to be honest (I usually get your points and agree with a lot of what you say) but I think we both agree that we have a real chance of going up this year. Let's see how it plays out.

DannyThomas_1981

What does evolving the squad even mean and what’s the bigger picture

Danny T Is our very own David Brent

That seriously made me laugh for once! Second David Brent reference of the season after the totally random playing of a Dolly Parton song half way through a CWR commentary.

DannyThomas_1981

Defo the best chance we’ve had the league is not as strong as previous seasons,my worry is robins doesn’t have the balls to take us up nicking 1-0 home wins isn’t gonna cut it I’m affraid,can anyone see it changing ? We need a striker & creative player...

Bright & striker would be my targets

I agree that Bright is different class in this League. 10 Bags Bayliss has called him by far the best player he has ever been on a pitch with.

SAJ

Yes, it’s the number of passes rather than the time spent in possession of the ball. Therefore, it’s a stupid stat.
The stat for possession in based on the amount of time you have possession of the ball and not passes. The passes stats are totally different.

SAJ

I’m quite surprised by generally how negative we seem to be on our position. Surely at his stage of the season all you can really hope for us your in contention, which is exactly where we are. I accept the lack of a win away but if we only look at one match i.e. Bolton had the officials done their job correctly then we would have won and by more than 1 goal. That result would have pushed us into 5th, 1 pt off automatics. I accept everyone gets bad decisions but we have no automatic right to promotion. What qualifies any team to think they should automatically be promoted.

fernandopartridge

You always seem like a decent poster so I’m probably wrong for digging you out on this one but “they need the mental rest bite of being 2 or 3 goals up” - do you not think they know this? Do you think they just prefer to be 1 up as opposed to 3 up? It’s not that easy to just go and smash teams
It is if you're as good as you have made us out to be. It is a fact that we drop off as soon as we go a goal up, of course it isn't easy to smash teams but I don't think we really try to do it.

Tommo1993

Beginning to think we’re setting up like most away teams at the Ricoh in the last two seasons. Come for a draw. Anything more is a shocking bonus. Except we’re the only team in the world who can’t sit on a 1-0 lead.

ccfcway

Explains why their fans are also complaining about their manager

harvey098

It is if you're as good as you have made us out to be. It is a fact that we drop off as soon as we go a goal up, of course it isn't easy to smash teams but I don't think we really try to do it.

Eh?! I’ve repeatedly said I don’t think we’ll go up this year but I also see that we’re improving and think any calls for Robins’ taxi to be warmed up are ridiculous.

Also.. regarding this “mentality issue” - turnarounds and last minute goals are very regular in football but we have gained more points from a losing position than we have thrown away from a winning position. We have scored more in the last few minutes than we have conceded. You negative people are trying so hard to find something to moan at and it’s still more positive than negative!

Last edited:

clint van damme

Eh?! I’ve repeatedly said I don’t think we’ll go up this year but I also see that we’re improving and think any calls for Robins’ taxi to be warmed up are ridiculous.

Also.. regarding this “mentality issue” - turnarounds and last minute goals are very regular in football but we have won more points from a losing position than we have thrown away from a winning position. We have scored more in the last few minutes than we have conceded. You negative people are trying so hard to find something to moan at and it’s still more positive than negative!

The problem is we are in a very different position to other clubs and our very existence is at stake.
I was seriously worried what would have happened if we hadn't got out of league 2 at the first time of asking and I have similar misgivings this season.

How long can we sustain another season in Brum as a mid table league one outfit?

harvey098

The problem is we are in a very different position to other clubs and our very existence is at stake.
I was seriously worried what would have happened if we hadn't got out of league 2 at the first time of asking and I have similar misgivings this season.

How long can we sustain another season in Brum as a mid table league one outfit?

Yeah they’re fair points. We have a big chance this year and I hope we do it but I don’t consider it a failure if we don’t. There is any three of about 14/15 teams that could do it. Odds are that we’re not one of them. What happens if we don’t go up and stay at Birmingham I don’t know but it surely can’t be great

Esoterica

As a bit of fun, I wonder what's the best 16 players you could put together from the teams we've dropped points against this season and then how many of them would get into our current squad and who they would replace?

Grendel

Explains why their fans are also complaining about their manager

It’s called being a football fan - you should try it sometime

Esoterica

The stat for possession in based on the amount of time you have possession of the ball and not passes. The passes stats are totally different.
That's how it used to be measured a few years ago and then they changed it from the chess clock style counting to 'Our number of passes/Total passes = Our Possession %' because it was usually just one person responsible for the counting of all match stats and they kept forgetting to stop the possession clock! 1 or 2 misses passes under the new calculation has less impact than missing 5 minutes of true possession. So the figure is more accurate but what they are actually counting is now bollocks!

We will always be high in possession stats under this measurement, playing out from the back like we do.

Users who are viewing this thread