Mentality (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

Away form & throwing away leads...

Is this a mental thing ? No away win by Xmas it’s not good enough & we are talking about challenging for promotion.Is this a mental thing the players are suffering with ? Surely it comes from management to install mental belief into the players.A point at Wycombe would be a positive but we have to surely go to Tranmere & beat them if we are serious about a promotion charge,this away form needs to be sorted as of now we can’t carry on into the new year the same way we have been away from home.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this ?

Grendel

I think to be honest the roll of the dice has gone for us in a lot of home games and against us in away games.

we’ve won a lot of games late at home and lost late points away

We never dominate, rarely score early and rarely get ahead by a couple of goals

Tranmere do look like relegation fodder so you’d hope to get a win there at least

lord_garrincha

One of the best teams in our modern era 20 years ago did not win an away game.

Following season, we won the 1st 2 away games... got relegated.

Not always an exact science... injury time equalisers never help... but if it continues, we will not be in the top 6.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Away form & throwing away leads...

Is this a mental thing ? No away win by Xmas it’s not good enough & we are talking about challenging for promotion.Is this a mental thing the players are suffering with ? Surely it comes from management to install mental belief into the players.A point at Wycombe would be a positive but we have to surely go to Tranmere & beat them if we are serious about a promotion charge,this away form needs to be sorted as of now we can’t carry on into the new year the same way we have been away from home.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this ?

I've said for a long time that not killing games and hanging on for dear life every week puts immense pressure on the players and leads to mistakes.
They need the mental respite that being 2 or 3 goals up with 15 or 20 to go brings.
Obviously that will never be the case every game but almost all the games we play are a pressure cooker right until the end.

Think what affect it has on us as supporters let alone the players.

Kieranp96

I think to be honest the roll of the dice has gone for us in a lot of home games and against us in away games.

we’ve won a lot of games late at home and lost late points away

We never dominate, rarely score early and rarely get ahead by a couple of goals

Tranmere do look like relegation fodder so you’d hope to get a win there at least
We never dominate? Lad we average like 65% possession, we just shy Infront of goal.

Grendel

Sky Blue Harry H

Possession isn’t dominance

It is a fair indicator though. We have dominated the large majority of our home games, but agree we miss the cutting edge. The other difference from this season to last is we have played consistently better football. I agree G, that we have generally had the rub of the green at home, whilst the opposite is true away from home. Let's hope the former continues, whilst the latter turns in our favour.

Grendel

It is a fair indicator though. We have dominated the large majority of our home games, but agree we miss the cutting edge. The other difference from this season to last is we have played consistently better football. I agree G, that we have generally had the rub of the green at home, whilst the opposite is true away from home. Let's hope the former continues, whilst the latter turns in our favour.

I think Wycombe have a very low possession stat - tbh I find it very hard to believe the accuracy of these stats anyway

SlowerThanPlatt

I think Wycombe have a very low possession stat - tbh I find it very hard to believe the accuracy of these stats anyway

Yes that’s right - we have 54.4% the highest and they have 44.7% the lowest

For them they’ve scored 4 more goals and 13.2 shots per game to our 14.2

Grendel

Yes that’s right - we have 54.4% the highest and they have 44.7% the lowest

For them they’ve scored 4 more goals and 13.2 shots per game to our 14.2

It would be interesting to see how many shots we have inside the penalty area - I suspect a lot of our attempts are long range

cc84cov

Anyone know of a team who’s ever been promoted without winning away in a season ? Has it ever been done or will we be the first to do so ? ;)

Reactions: TTG

Sky Blue Harry H

Anyone know of a team who’s ever been promoted without winning away in a season ? Has it ever been done or will we be the first to do so ? ;)
Only if we win every remaining home game and draw every away game. That should ensure play offs and a Wembley appearance!

ccfcway

A lot of this is about stats. We have won 2 away from brum, but in cup competitions (3 if you count the pen win at Walsall)

Looking at the home games table, Ipswich are only 2 points off the drop zone, so clearly they have the same issues at home.

Looking at the away games only table, Portsmouth who are above us in the table have one more away point than we do.

Away wins will come, and our Birmingham form may slip. Results in the same outcome.

I’m minded to quote the famous philosopher, Oleta Adams “ I don’t care how you get here, just get here if you can”

SlowerThanPlatt

A lot of this is about stats. We have won 2 away from brum, but in cup competitions (3 if you count the pen win at Walsall)

Looking at the home games table, Ipswich are only 2 points off the drop zone, so clearly they have the same issues at home.

Looking at the away games only table, Portsmouth who are above us in the table have one more away point than we do.

Away wins will come, and our Birmingham form may slip. Results in the same outcome.

I’m minded to quote the famous philosopher, Oleta Adams “ I don’t care how you get here, just get here if you can”

I think the issue we have now is that 5 out of the next 7 are away

clint van damme

I appreciate away form won't be as important this year as in
Previous years (As hilighted in the post I put up yesterday), but why do you think away wins will come?
What gives you that confidence?

ccfcway

I appreciate away form won't be as important this year as in
Previous years (As hilighted in the post I put up yesterday), but why do you think away wins will come?
What gives you that confidence?

After watching the way beat Ipswich I know we are capable of producing it and have no doubt it will come.

We kept hearing that when teams catch up on games will be our true position, well, it’s 3 points off the autos. Let’s see where we are after these 7 games with 5 aways.

SlowerThanPlatt

After watching the way beat Ipswich I know we are capable of producing it and have no doubt it will come.

We kept hearing that when teams catch up on games will be our true position, well, it’s 3 points off the autos. Let’s see where we are after these 7 games with 5 aways.

Ipswich was a straight knockout game though. So was Colchester. We set up differently for them games then we would league games.

In the league games it seems we are happy to sit back after we take the lead - hence the 7 draws and 0 wins.

ccfcway

Ipswich was a straight knockout game though. So was Colchester. We set up differently for them games then we would league games.

In the league games it seems we are happy to sit back after we take the lead - hence the 7 draws and 0 wins.

Isn’t this similar to how we set up at home and are in auto slots based on home record ?

SlowerThanPlatt

Isn’t this similar to how we set up at home and are in auto slots based on home record ?

The auto home form and some of the worst away form has us 9th. I think you have said we can get automatic promotion and we should fear no one in this league.

Do you not think with 5 of the next 7 being away if our away form continues on the same trend we will not be any closer to the automatics?

ccfcway

The auto home form and some of the worst away form has us 9th. I think you have said we can get automatic promotion and we should fear no one in this league.

Do you not think with 5 of the next 7 being away if our away form continues on the same trend we will not be any closer to the automatics?

Wasn’t me that said that, but I do think we can go up, but it’s far from guaranteed this season.

If our away form continues and we got 5 draws, added to our home form continuing, that wouldn’t be 11 points from 7 games. Far from auto form, but we wouldn’t be releasing the season ending dvd either, as we have a load of home games in the next batch I assume ?

SlowerThanPlatt

Wasn’t me that said that, but I do think we can go up, but it’s far from guaranteed this season.

If our away form continues and we got 5 draws, added to our home form continuing, that wouldn’t be 11 points from 7 games. Far from auto form, but we wouldn’t be releasing the season ending dvd either, as we have a load of home games in the next batch I assume ?

11 points would be bang mid table - which means almost certainly we’d be further of the automatics - so at some point in this run of away fixtures we need a win or two

harvey098

I've said for a long time that not killing games and hanging on for dear life every week puts immense pressure on the players and leads to mistakes.
They need the mental respite that being 2 or 3 goals up with 15 or 20 to go brings.
Obviously that will never be the case every game but almost all the games we play are a pressure cooker right until the end.

Think what affect it has on us as supporters let alone the players.

Yeah, I don’t know why we don’t just score more goals and win instead of deciding to let in goals and draw / lose. Maybe you should email Robins and let him know about your plan.

ccfcway

11 points would be bang mid table - which means almost certainly we’d be further of the automatics - so at some point in this run of away fixtures we need a win or two

Agreed we do, but that doesn’t really matter if we win one and lose two compared to drawing 3. We need to continue to be solid in Birmingham and pick up a few more points away and we will be right in the mix

harvey098

What idiotic comments.

You always seem like a decent poster so I’m probably wrong for digging you out on this one but “they need the mental rest bite of being 2 or 3 goals up” - do you not think they know this? Do you think they just prefer to be 1 up as opposed to 3 up? It’s not that easy to just go and smash teams

Adge

Can’t believe people are still banging on about automatics, it really is a bridge too far.
The league is poor and as has been previously said, it’s the time to get out this season, that chance may not come around again for a very very long time.
Time to take the Sky Blue specs off and say that if we were the real deal and as some people say we are,we would already be in the top 2 of a very mediocre league. We are currently 9 points off top as we stand which we can reduce to 6 if we get the monkey off our backs on Sunday.
One thing always talked about on here is Robins “tactics” when we are leading by the odd goal, which is to sit deeper and defend a lead. I’ve not heard anyone mention that maybe it’s the players who are counting down the clock? There has been many an occasion I have noticed when we are defending a lead that Robins and Vivash have been waving the players forward and telling them to get up field? Just a thought...,,

Last edited:

clint van damme

You always seem like a decent poster so I’m probably wrong for digging you out on this one but “they need the mental rest bite of being 2 or 3 goals up” - do you not think they know this? Do you think they just prefer to be 1 up as opposed to 3 up? It’s not that easy to just go and smash teams

Of course they don't do it on.purpose and no, it's not easy to smash teams but our issues are on going.
No league away win since Sunderland in April, 5 league wins by more than 1 clear goal since the start of last season.

All teams face issues, it's the ones who find solutions who prevail.
We will not solve our scoring issues while Godden is as isolated as he was against Lincoln.
Fortunately this season is an anomaly and we can still make a challenge for automatics but Robins needs to sort out the on going issues mentioned

harvey098

Of course they don't do it on.purpose and no, it's not easy to smash teams but our issues are on going.
No league away win since Sunderland in April, 5 league wins by more than 1 clear goal since the start of last season.

All teams face issues, it's the ones who find solutions who prevail.
We will not solve our scoring issues while Godden is as isolated as he was against Lincoln.
Fortunately this season is an anomaly and we can still make a challenge for automatics but Robins needs to sort out the on going issues mentioned

Ofc I’d love us to be winning by more but you can’t knock Robins’ win ratio. He knows how to win games.

clint van damme

Ofc I’d love us to be winning by more but you can’t knock Robins’ win ratio. He knows how to win games.

But we finished 8th last season and are 9th this so currently on course for a similar frustrating finish.

I think there is enough in this squad to squeeze a bit more out of it and get a play off place

Grendel

8 teams have a higher ratio this season than us? 2 others have the same?

harvey098

But we finished 8th last season and are 9th this so currently on course for a similar frustrating finish.

I think there is enough in this squad to squeeze a bit more out of it and get a play off place

There’s a paper width between the challenging teams, I’m just glad we’re involved in it. The amount of years our promotion hopes were already over by Xmas.. That hasn’t happened under Robins.

Users who are viewing this thread