Mental Health (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

In the end your job does give you a lot of benefits and privileges denied to many in the private sector

a bit of gratitude for this perhaps may not go amiss sometimes?

Your habit of trying to one up different sectors and play job top trumps isn't something I have much appetite for. My posts were about my other half's experiences and her job. You think it's piss easy and a gravy train which is fine but I wasn't actually writing about myself here

Grendel

Your habit of trying to one up different sectors and play job top trumps isn't something I have much appetite for. My posts were about my other half's experiences and her job. You think it's piss easy and a gravy train which is fine but I wasn't actually writing about myself here

I don’t think it’s piss easy but yes there are benefits including job security

I don’t see other professions on here complain so much about their ills as if they are such a special case

People I’m sure will have lost jobs who post on here and have real hardship. Yet the proportionate time complaining about it is nil compared to the teaching profession on here

I do wonder if we should have a teacher only sub forum so you can all complain how bad it is as a collective

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t see other professions on here complain so much about their ills as if they are such a special case

People I’m sure will have lost jobs who post on here and have real hardship. Yet the proportionate time complaining about it is nil compared to the teaching profession on here

I do wonder if we should have a teacher only sub forum so you can all complain how bad it is as a collective

If the benefits are so great as you say then sign yourself up, there's plenty of vacancies. I do see some irony in arguing on a mental health thread though so I'll stop. There is no right or wrong way to respond to finding things difficult and I don't like your default being to try and one up people posting about it.

Do tell someone having a panic attack over workload that it's OK because they signed a contract

Sky Blue Pete

I was watching World's Toughest Prisons on Netflix. There are some new episodes on there, the one in Greenland being the pick of the bunch for me. Would highly recommend watching it. Made me appreciated our freedoms a little bit at least.
One of the best in the world died with Covid didn’t they?

Ian1779

No one is stopping you sharing your feelings about your own experiences, and I’m pretty sure that very few people are judgmental as to yours or anyone else’s feeling... even if they appear trivial in comparison to others.

The main point here (which you missed) is that somebody is essentially being exploited by what is a really shit employer, now I’m sure you’d agree that is not acceptable.... or maybe you feel public sector workers should just ‘suck it up’ because they are a ‘special case’

Ian1779

Let’s be honest - if teaching or nursing was that fucking easy and well paid then there would be no staff shortages ever because there would be competition for the jobs that exist and by that ends increase the quality of the workforce.

clint van damme

Thanks Clint.

I have been going round the houses with them for about a year now. Without going into too much detail it isn't the lockdowns that are my issue as such, but an ongoing condition - quite possibly BPD. I've unfortunately been through a lot of trauma and they think as a result it might be that. They passed me from team to team and I find out tomorrow if I can be evaluated for a diagnosis, but it is looking unlikely. Unless I'm standing on the ring road trying to jump in front of cars then it is a case of here are some pills and go away.

Not going to tag everyone because this isn't Bebo, but I really appreciate everyone's kind words. It has more of an effect than you might think and I do value everyone's comments. Also @Brighton Sky Blue - Book is completed. Just trying to work out how to market it and design a cover but it should be published in the next couple of weeks.

I've heard similar stories of people with mental health issues struggling to get pointed in the direction.of the correct person (s). But don't give up.
Congratulations on the book.

Grendel

Let’s be honest - if teaching or nursing was that fucking easy and well paid then there would be no staff shortages ever because there would be competition for the jobs that exist and by that ends increase the quality of the workforce.

But that kind of disproves Your point as those who stay in it do so as i assume they appreciate the pay and conditions or just love The job

Ian1779

But that kind of disproves Your point as those who stay in it do so as i assume they appreciate the pay and conditions or just love The job
People don’t leave teaching over pay or job security. I am acutely aware that I have benefitted from job security especially in the last 12 months, and I do think what I do is reasonably well paid. However the issue why it’s a sector with such an unprecedented staffing crisis is because staff are driven out of the career because of poor working practices, exploited staff by shit school leadership and other factors related to these core ones. People in their droves give up those ‘good conditions/pension/security ‘ for far less to leave the profession. People like Mrs BSB who is new to the profession are exploited and manipulated, sometimes they don’t know any different and sometimes they are made to feel their jobs are at risk if they don’t conform. I don’t think telling them they should be grateful is going to solve the problem.

I’m sure some of these issues exist in the Health sector, but they don’t even have the fall back of good pay or working conditions.

Grendel

Why do you think there's a chronic shortage and 40% quit in the first 5 years?

I assume as people decide it’s not for them and go and do something else. As you have the benefits of education and experience on your side then you decide don’t you what you do. Accept the conditions or actually go and do something else

What you actually need to do is decide do you want this career in 30 years. If not then sit down and between you decide this life isn’t for you - then plan to move and in the interim do the minimum work required to box tick and then move on

Even if you lower income in the short term make adjustments

I was a trainee solicitor but decided not to do it and massively changed including a significant lifestyle adjustment

Brighton Sky Blue

I assume as people decide it’s not for them and go and do something else. As you have the benefits of education and experience on your side then you decide don’t you what you do. Accept the conditions or actually go and do something else

What you actually need to do is decide do you want this career in 30 years. If not then sit down and between you decide this life isn’t for you - then plan to move and in the interim do the minimum work required to box tick and then move on

I was a trainee solicitor but decided not to do it and massively changed including a significant lifestyle adjustment

As discussed last night, we have had long talks about that very thing for her and alternatives. For the short term though, she kind of has to keep doing it as do I.

Grendel

As discussed last night, we have had long talks about that very thing for her and alternatives. For the short term though, she kind of has to keep doing it as do I.

Well you work the hours of your contract and just do the bare minimum - it’s the 3 piece jigsaw syndrome and frankly play the game

Brighton Sky Blue

Well you work the hours of your contract and just do the bare minimum - it’s the 3 piece jigsaw syndrome and frankly play the game

Problem is if I do that the kids' education takes a hit. Working to rule is basically a strike

Ian1779

I agree with what you are saying here. When I chose to enter teaching from my previous career I gave up a good salary and decent benefits, but I was prepared to do that as I wanted to make that career change. Far less people actually make it to 10+ years in the profession, never mind 20/30.

The issue here I feel is that people new to teaching are being ‘used’ and this is what drives so many out of the profession. The conditions and expectations they are led to think are normal are far from it. As much as people may want to lay the blame at a government/national level it’s actually individual schools and academy chains doing the damage. They are undermining and undoing initiatives like Teach First and bursary schemes trying to close the recruitment gap. Union presence in some schools is very patchy or non-existent, and as such don’t protect newcomers to the profession as they once used to.... this has to somehow be restored to protect staff (and kids ultimately).The fact that Mrs BSB is scared to report inappropriate practice through risk of her livelihood tells you how fucking terrible some leaders are. And that will be replicated across the country.

shmmeee

Or maybe you just stay out of things you clearly have no idea about. It might just be that you see so many teachers complain because there’s so many of them and the working conditions are shit.

Grendel

Problem is if I do that the kids' education takes a hit. Working to rule is basically a strike

But this I’m afraid is your perception and I can bet there are many people who do this.

You really have to get a sense of perspective. The worst that can happen to the pupils is they have a bad teacher in one subject for a year. Will this impact their whole lives going forward. No.

So actually you consider your own position and not even wind it down totally. Just a gradual decline in effort. Whose actually suffering and whose actually benefitting

Grendel

Or maybe you just stay out of things you clearly have no idea about. It might just be that you see so many teachers complain because there’s so many of them and the working conditions are shit.

So do something else. Unlike coal miners there is a wealth of opportunity

Brighton Sky Blue

But this I’m afraid is your perception and I can bet there are many people who do this.

You really have to get a sense of perspective. The worst that can happen to the pupils is they have a bad teacher in one subject for a year. Will this impact their whole lives going forward. No.

So actually you consider your own position and not even wind it down totally. Just a gradual decline in effort. Whose actually suffering and whose actually benefitting

Working to hours is genuinely a form of strike that has been used by unions in the past, but you aren't wrong about the rest. It is hard to divorce myself from that mindset though.

PurpleBin

As I pointed out above I was acutely aware of that! G's last post was actually quite constructive to be fair. He's alright really

My comment wasn't aimed at anyone directly fella. As far as I can see there is more than just you involved. It just seemed quite sad that on a thread where people are posting their personal battles some have started arguing the toss about the rights and wrongs of teachers hours.

Ian1779

Working to hours is genuinely a form of strike that has been used by unions in the past, but you aren't wrong about the rest. It is hard to divorce myself from that mindset though.
He is right on one thing. You should work to rule, and the thing is you will find many other schools that will TELL their staff to do this. My MAT has some serious issues, but the one thing they have got right is work/life balance. And it does pay dividends in the classroom over time.
Schools that obsess over marking, monitoring and the like are run by dinosaurs.... and it will fade away - but it takes time.

Grendel

Yes I accept it’s hard because you feel within your mindset of achievement you need to do the correct thing for your customers - ie the people you teach.

So do one hour less for a day one week and see what the consequence is for you and your customer, I can assure you the customer won’t miss it and you will see a benefit. I’m not saying work to rule but the truth is when on your deathbed your regret won’t be the zoom meeting you didn’t prepare for in 2021 for class 8A and the disappointment they felt

Brighton Sky Blue

He is right on one thing. You should work to rule, and the thing is you will find many other schools that will TELL their staff to do this. My MAT has some serious issues, but the one thing they have got right is work/life balance. And it does pay dividends in the classroom over time.
Schools that obsess over marking, monitoring and the like are run by dinosaurs.... and it will fade away - but it takes time.

I agree, but it's hard early on to not feel like there aren't enough hours to do what needs doing. In the missus' case, it's gone completely off the deep end.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes I accept it’s hard because you feel within your mindset of achievement you need to do the correct thing for your customers - ie the people you teach.

So do one hour less for a day one week and see what the consequence is for you and your customer, I can assure you the customer won’t miss it and you will see a benefit. I’m not saying work to rule but the truth is when on your deathbed your regret won’t be the zoom meeting you didn’t prepare for in 2021 for class 8A and the disappointment they felt

There you are right. The difficulty is that the missus isn't really being given a choice which makes it very hard to know what to say or do to make it better.

Grendel

There you are right. The difficulty is that the missus isn't really being given a choice which makes it very hard to know what to say or do to make it better.

Well I think there probably is. If she really is being told to write the coursework write it to a fail standard but make sure above the line activity is maintained to a required standard. She didn’t write it.

Or there I suppose is the option I never really recommend - the off for stress route - a GP would easily do it but the way back is difficult

Whistle blowing - i suspect she’s not mentally tough enough as once you do that you are a pariah

Ian1779

I agree, but it's hard early on to not feel like there aren't enough hours to do what needs doing. In the missus' case, it's gone completely off the deep end.
One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given is to accept that you will never ever get level, never mind ahead. Once you really embrace that then you can see things differently. The only thing in teaching that HAS to be done to a strict, strict timescale is Safeguarding. Everything else is able to be delayed, put on the back burner, even ignored in some cases.... no matter what they tell you.

I think your missus is being let down by a lot of people all along the leadership chain, from mentor to headteacher.
If she walks - she’ll never struggle to get a job. If you both love the real part (the actual teaching) then you will find a school that will embrace it and release the shackles of nonsense. I know it must be hard to think that’s possible, but don’t give up on it too soon.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well I think there probably is. If she really is being told to write the coursework write it to a fail standard but make sure above the line activity is maintained to a required standard. She didn’t write it.

Or there I suppose is the option I never really recommend - the off for stress route - a GP would easily do it but the way back is difficult

Whistle blowing - i suspect she’s not mentally tough enough as once you do that you are a pariah

I have also questioned why she puts in the effort she does for people who couldn't be bothered to do it themselves for their own qualification. But with her anxiety it's difficult to coax her out of the mindset. Whistle blowing is what should happen but she'd be petrified of the consequences as everyone would know who it was.

Users who are viewing this thread