memories of highfield road (1 Viewer)

Sumo the Micky Quinn

You sure it weren't Banik Ostrava? He scored a belter from what seemed about the half way line in a pre-season friendly.

Definitely the Banik Ostrava game, Dobson didn't really score that many. Best goal I've ever seen at Highfield Road.

Took the ball from his own goal line, ran to the half way line, So Dobson said "was absolutly shattered saw the keeper off the line, no one to pass it to and hoped for the best".

If only more players would choose to shoot on sight.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

When was that?

According to my programme from the game (10p) for a team sheet plus a bit of information on Banik Ostrava.

Coventry City v F.C. Banik Ostrava OKD, Czechoslovakia.

Friday, 10th August 1990. K.O. 7:45

City team : 1- S. Ogrizovic, 2- B. Borrows, 3- P. Edwards, 4- L. McGrath, 5- B. Kilcline, 6- T. Peake, 7- K. Gallacher (H-T 15- T. Dobson), 8- M. Gynn, 9- C. Regis (H-T 12- K. Drinkell), 10- D. Speedie, 11- D. Smith unused subs 14- K. MacDonald, 16- S. Livinstone, 17- H. Clark, 18- P. Billing Keeper K. Waugh

Banik Ostrava : 1- P. Srnicek, 2- V. Hyravy, 3- R. Basta, 4- K. Kula, 5- P. Skarabela, 6- R. Stalini, 7- Z. Ollender, 8- I. Stas, 9- D. Horvath, 10- R. Necas, 11- J. Palinek Subs 12- R. Pavelka, 13- O. Haluska, 14- R. Kaizar, 15- P.Kubank, keeper I. Schmucker.

In the previous two seasons Banik finished 2nd to Sparta Prague in the Chec. league. Knocked out of the U.E.F.A. cup (1989) in the 2nd round by Dynamo Kiev.

City won 3-2 City goals from: Speedie, Dobson, McGrath.

canleykid

My highlight from highfield road was when my good friend sesh called sky blue Sam over to the west terrace behind the goal,sesh grabbed same trunk and he thought it was funny however skyblue Sam grabbed sesh pulled him onto the sandy gravel on the outside of the pitch and stomped on his back he left a big footprint on his back we were all laughing but sesh was red faced.another time he pretended to be knocked out after a goal stewards came
rushing to our block only for sesh to start cheering again the stewards weren't happy,and another with sesh was when we scored against charlton in the fa cup he had just brought a bovril we scored and all jumped on him it was funny cos he turned round and was covered in bovril and it was dripping off his nose.

Sharpie83

Lol never mess with Sam that guy is hard as. I remember being in the east stand for a mid week reserve game and my mate thought it would b funny to try and get out the in turnstiles to find he had got stuck he had to squeeze through the gap at the top to escape luckily he was only 11 so he was small enough otherwise he would have had to b cut out which wouldn't b fun

Sky Blue Kid

My highlight from highfield road was when my good friend sesh called sky blue Sam over to the west terrace behind the goal,sesh grabbed same trunk and he thought it was funny however skyblue Sam grabbed sesh pulled him onto the sandy gravel on the outside of the pitch and stomped on his back he left a big footprint on his back we were all laughing but sesh was red faced.another time he pretended to be knocked out after a goal stewards came
rushing to our block only for sesh to start cheering again the stewards weren't happy,and another with sesh was when we scored against charlton in the fa cup he had just brought a bovril we scored and all jumped on him it was funny cos he turned round and was covered in bovril and it was dripping off his nose.

Hahahahahaha....Sky Blue Sam was my kid brother Hahahahahahaha!

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Originally Posted by Sharpie83
What is the Simod cup

There used to be a third cup competition I think it only lasted a few seasons I can't remember which divisions were eligible. My memory is going but wasn't it just for league teams who were not involved in Europe.

The Full Members Cup (known as the Simod cup from 1987 to 1989 and the Zenith Data Systems cup from 1989 to 1992), was a third cup competition for clubs from the two top divisions who did not qualify for Europe, held from 1985 to 1992.
The competition was one of two cups, (the other being the Super Cup), set up after English clubs were banned from Europe.
Although the competition was open to all top division teams after the scrapping of the super cup, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man. Utd., & Tottenham never entered for any season.
The competition was cancelled when the league clubs split from the football league to form the Premier League.

It was named as such because these clubs of the top two divisions were classed as Full Members of the football league, with full voting rights. Teams from the lower two divisions were Associate Members and were eligible for the Associate Members Cup (now the Football League Trophy). The named changed when the Premier League was formed as all teams in the football league were given full member status.

Chelsea & Nottingham Forest won the trophy twice, Crystal Palace won once. Whilst Blackburn Rovers & Reading (beating City in the semi final in 1988) won the competition as 2nd division teams.

City's Record was very poor:

1985/6 as a Group stage. v Stoke (2nd. div.) (a) L 3-0 att. 3,516, v Millwall (2nd div.) (h) D 1-1 att. 1,086.

1986/7 entered at 2nd rd. v Norwich City (1st div.) (a) L 2-1 att. 6,236

1987/8 entered at 3rd rd. v Wimbledon (1st div.) (h) W 2-1, att. 5,549
4th rd. v Ipswich Town (2nd div) (h) W 2-0 att. 7,607
Semi-Final v Reading (2nd div. - relegated at end of the season) (a) 1-1, L 4-3 on pens, att. 15,348.

1988/9 entered at 3rd rd. v Middlesborough (1st div.- relegated at end of the season) (a) L 1-0 att. 9,938

1989/90 entered at 3rd rd. v Wimbledon (1st div.) (h) L 3-1 att. 3,781.

1990/1 entered at 3rd rd. v Derby County (1st div. - relegated at end of the season) (a) L 1-0 att. 7,270

1991/2 entered at 2nd rd. v Aston Villa (1st div.) (h) L 2-0 att. 6,447.

The Super Cup was the other cup set, this was intended to run for the 5 years English clubs were banned from Europe - an exclusive cup intened for the 6 teams to qualify for Europe. It only lasted for one season.
The Super Cup was scrapped due to fixture congestion, one semi-final being delayed to just before the F.A. Cup Final, Mexico 86 soon after the F.A. Cup Final, at a time when the F.A. Cup Final was the last game of the season. The final was staged the following season in September.
City should have entered the super cup as cup winners for the 1987/8 season in place of the European Cup Winners Cup.

City did enter a competion in 1987/8 between English cup winners and Scottish cup winners 'the Anglo-Scottish trophy' to be played over two legs. However only one leg was ever played on Tue. 22nd Dec. at Highfield Road v Scottish cup winners St. Mirren, game finished 1-1 Dave Phillips the scorer in front of 5,331. The second leg at St. Mirren was due to be played on Tue. 22nd March, but never was. The cup never continued.

TheUKGryphon

My best memory of Highfield Road was December 1995 when we mullered Blackburn Rovers 5-0. I was a season ticket holder in the West Terrace at the time. There was snow on the ground and we used the orange ball.

Blackburn were champions at the time and their squad included, (amongst others), Alan Shearer, Tim Sherwood, Chris Sutton, Tim Flowers, and Colin Hendry and we absolutely thumped them.

5 goals from 5 different scorers. I think, and I may have this wrong, that it was Dion Dublin, Peter Ndlovu, John Salako, ??Paul Telfer?? and someone else, can anyone enlighten me?

There was a clip of it on youtube recently which has since been taken down. When Dion scored his goal you could see me and my misses in the front row of the west terrace jumping up and down like 5 year olds on a bouncy castle.

Great game, great stadium, great days.

Sky Blue Kid

The day I thought Dublin was going to "Chin" Hendry for cheating, when Hendry claimed Dion had "Elbowed" him on the ground. Dion stood over him wagging a finger at him!

TheUKGryphon

My other fondest memory of Highfield Road was in September 1988 when we beat Charlton 3-0 with a goal from Gary Bannister and a double from David Smith.

The reason it's so special to me is beacuse it was the first Coventry game I went to. My old man rest his soul was born and bred Cleethorpes so he was a Grimsby fan so he never took me to any Coventry games growing up. At two months shy of my 15th birthday I felt I was old enough to go on my own. So I did.

I Have never looked back since. I remember the weather being sunny and warm for September but more importantly, I knew that the sky was going to blue forever as far I was concerned.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

My best memory of Highfield Road was December 1995 when we mullered Blackburn Rovers 5-0. I was a season ticket holder in the West Terrace at the time. There was snow on the ground and we used the orange ball.

Blackburn were champions at the time and their squad included, (amongst others), Alan Shearer, Tim Sherwood, Chris Sutton, Tim Flowers, and Colin Hendry and we absolutely thumped them.

5 goals from 5 different scorers. I think, and I may have this wrong, that it was Dion Dublin, Peter Ndlovu, John Salako, ??Paul Telfer?? and someone else, can anyone enlighten me?

There was a clip of it on youtube recently which has since been taken down. When Dion scored his goal you could see me and my misses in the front row of the west terrace jumping up and down like 5 year olds on a bouncy castle.

Great game, great stadium, great days.

I was a season ticket holder at the time in the West End, for some reason I don't remember this game. I would have thought out of all the games from this season I would have remembered this one.

Having just looked at my programmes it still dosn't bring back memories.

Sat 9th Dec 1995, Coventry City 5 Blackburn Rovers 0. Busst 40, Dublin 60, Rennie 64, Ndlovu 74, Salako 88. From the pictures in the following programme it was played on a snow covered pitch, with an orange ball. The players were wearing black arm bands in memory of Bert Edwards, Youth recruitment officer.

We had Chris Whyte on loan for his only game in a sky blue shirt and according to Jim Browns book we were chasing Chris Coleman at the time along with Blackburn for a reported £3 mill. Blackburn won the battle for his signature paying £2.8m for his services.

Is this the game a Radio Five reporter said it was an average game, only commented on Blackburn and never mentioned City in his report? :thinking about:

canleykid

I was a season ticket holder at the time in the West End, for some reason I don't remember this game. I would have thought out of all the games from this season I would have remembered this one.

Having just looked at my programmes it still dosn't bring back memories.

Sat 9th Dec 1995, Coventry City 5 Blackburn Rovers 0. Busst 40, Dublin 60, Rennie 64, Ndlovu 74, Salako 88. From the pictures in the following programme it was played on a snow covered pitch, with an orange ball. The players were wearing black arm bands in memory of Bert Edwards, Youth recruitment officer.

We had Chris Whyte on loan for his only game in a sky blue shirt and according to Jim Browns book we were chasing Chris Coleman at the time along with Blackburn for a reported £3 mill. Blackburn won the battle for his signature paying £2.8m for his services.

Is this the game a Radio Five reporter said it was an average game, only commented on Blackburn and never mentioned City in his report? :thinking about:

It was snowing played with an orange ball I remeber it well

Sumo the Micky Quinn

I had just finished writing the post above and was then browsing through the Everton programme (the game after the Blackburn game).

There is a regular article called Generation Game in which a kid interviews a player.

Today Gary McSheffery, a pupil from Ullathorne School, and left winger in the Coventry School of Excellence under 14 team, questions John Salako.

GARY: How can I improve my game as a wide player?

JOHN: Practice your skills at every opportunity, and watch the left wingers you admire in the premiership. Try to pick out bits of their game and include them in your own so that you gradually become a complete player.

GARY: Any thoughts on what you would like todo when your career finishes?

JOHN: No not really. At the moment I am only thinking about playing football. I want to leave as many doors open as I can. Maybe I will go into the media or stay in the game in some capacity. But as I say I hope to go on playing for a long time yet.

Fospherous

The best memory I had was the first game I saw at Highfield Road when we played West Ham. Arrived on the day to scramble for the last few tickets and ended up in the corner of the east stand. The feeling of emerging out to see the pitch took my breath away, would give anything to have that feeling again. We won the match 2-1.

Sisu_Cockroaches

One night climbing up the drain pipe on to the ledge above the ticket office to walk all the way along over the wall and in lol. Did this with 3 mates with a ball actaully played on the pitch for about an hour before we got bored. Sat in the dugouts and climbed up where the cameras were. Climbed on the cross bar up the west end couldn't believe no one turned up to kick us out.

pyeman

So many,Terry Gibson scoring a hat trick against Liverpool around 83 i think,huddled together on the kop in the pissing rain trying to keep warm on evening games,later on getting a season ticket in the west end,right at the back in the middle thinking 'why didnt i do this sooner ? its nice and dry in here',endless last day relegation battles,the odd punch up,great memories,dont know where i'll have my ashes sprinkled now.

wingy

Any one remember the Cov Sporting v Peterborough cup match held there ,tuesday afternoon ,wagged school ,don't remember the year but i think the West End was still single decker,the match they held their own but i can't remember the score ,only their pathetic fans invading the pitch trying to get in our west end ,not a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread