memories of highfield road (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I took someone from the States to his first ever game a few years ago and got him to try one-he said 'Dude, did they nuke a cow?'. I think that sums up its taste quite nicely ;)

Tank Top

Wow that's a good walk do u go in the bull and anchor?
My Grandad, used the Bull and Anchor,My Dad used it, and I used it, to a lesser degree, I went to Wheelwright Lane infants, next to the B&A, and later to Ash Green school, often got the cane, for nothing in particular, whispering in class was worth a flogging, and a hundred lines,and biking to and from Highfield Road, was nothing out of the ordinary.
All this, was a long time ago,..but I've still got my own teeth.
PUSB...Tankie

Sharpie83

My Grandad, used the Bull and Anchor,My Dad used it, and I used it, to a lesser degree, I went to Wheelwright Lane infants, next to the B&A, and later to Ash Green school, often got the cane, for nothing in particular, whispering in class was worth a flogging, and a hundred lines,and biking to and from Highfield Road, was nothing out of the ordinary.
All this, was a long time ago,..but I've still got my own teeth.
PUSB...Tankie

Ever use it now?

i remember landing at birmingham from majorca at half one and eventually getting to highfield road half way through the first half against rotherham, gave my season ticket to a mate had to buy a ticket for the main stand used it to take my place in the west terrace and watched us lose to an own goal. west terrace rip best atmosphere will never be repeated at the ricoh

trick2

I only started going to the games in 2004 when I got with my boyfriend. I loved it at Highfield Road. I didn't mind the first season at the Ricoh but have gone off it quickly. I hate getting there, was much easier to get to HR. There's also no atmosphere at the Ricoh. Wish they still played at Highfield Road. It's such a shame,

Stoppercurtis

Beating Wolves on the last day of the season to go up as Champions to what is now the Premier league in 1967. Over 50,000 in the ground that day. Ran on the pitch like everyone else. Never again was I as pissed as I was that night! Great joy. Lets hope that those days will return.

Stopper

Spence CCFC

2wdxap5.jpg

34oez2f.jpg

jhbn8y.jpg

These aren't mine but were taken by a Saints fan I know on the last home game of the 86/87 season before the Cup Final.

tommydazzle

Going for the first time as a little kid with my dad (days of Willie Carr and Ernie Hunt) wearing my skyblue bobble hat and being lifted down to the front on the Kop. Being more interested in the marching band at half-time and then suddenly the sheer wall of noise when City scored which made me jump out of my skin and then being transfixed by the wall of skyblue scarves from corner flag to corner flag held aloft in the west end. The smell of Rothmans menthol ciggies, toilet rolls tangling in the nets and when eventually graduating to the west end myself - being deafened by the roar on floodlit cup games whenever a corner was won and then being carried several steps down in the massive surge if the ball hit the back of the net. Not sure we'll ever see the like again unless standing terraces are brought back.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

I First started going end of February 1987 v charlton Athletic. Being 14 at the time had to catch the bus. Problem with the bus was that the last bus for me was at 5.35 from Pool Meadow (next bus being Monday Morning). Used to run back to town, sometimes having time to call into Fishy Moores, bus driver would only let you on with chips if you gave him some chips.
When me and my mate got to know the drivers (usually the same 4 drivers) we would asked them if they could wait while we got the pink. Some would wait while some of the drivers would drive the bus slowly to allow the light to change red and whilst waiting at the traffic lights (now where the whittle arches are) would shout at the seller to bring one over. I used to get home before the pink arrived at my local newsagent.

When I finally got a car, used to sometimes park in Canterbury St. I remember one evening kick off there was 3 prossies standing near where I parked the car, I remember saying to my mate, 'Don't think shes going to get much luck'. Her face looked like someone had thrown at pizza on it, 'nice legs shame about the face' as the song goes. She was still their on her own when the game finished.

Sharpie83

God the pink now that brought back good memories I remember getting it on a Saturday night with my dad n reading it while eating a packet of skittles finding out how the rest of the teams in my league got on.

Tank Top

"Prossies" Its a long time since I've heard that description, how polite of you Sumo, bet you're Knocking on a bit, don't suppose you kept their Phone numbers by any chance

Diehard Si

My first game on Boxing day early 90's, City 2-0Spurs.. speedie and Regis I think.

5-1 vrs Liverpool a few seasons later.

4-0 vrs Man City and my neighbour taking me round the players lounge after the game.

VIP tickets for the 3-2 vrs Man U.

signing "We're on the march with Gordans army", when 1-0 vrs Sheff Utd and it looked like we'd be heading to the semis.

The 'hadji and Chippo show' before we coached it out of them.

The last game obviously.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

"Prossies" Its a long time since I've heard that description, how polite of you Sumo, bet you're Knocking on a bit, don't suppose you kept their Phone numbers by any chance

:D Yeah if I remember it was 0203 or was it 0898 Can't quite read the rest :D.

It's funny how some things stick in your head, her face :eek: spots galore. And no I didn't, I'd already spent all my money at the ground!!

My walk through some of the alleyways of Hillfields, 'Tatlo is a Nazi' graffitied on one of the walls. I bet it's still there.

georgehudson

first started attending in 1956,
reserve games on a saturday afternoon,
2d for a bag of chips afterwards,
& am still CCFC,
you can take the boy out of coventry,
but you cant take coventry out of the boy / man !

georgehudson

west end corrugated roof, all standing,
old marstons stand where sky blue stand was built, terrace in front,
spion kop from huge wooden extension (crows nest) top corner to a few steps near main stand,
and old wooden main stand,
atmospheric, & fantastic,
wal's mobile catering, where a bloke would walk around the pitch dispensing tea from a huge box shaped urn strapped to his back, must have had an asbestos sheet twixt him & the urn,

Oz Howie

Do remember the old "flloodlights" - old wooden telephone poles with I think 4 lights on top. Lights were so low any sort of goal kick would disappear into the night sky and you had to watch the players to work out where it was coming down!

SkyBlueUkeman

That sounds like it would have been a gray but scary place to go really modernised a lot over the years

Which is why its criminal that we 'Left'. I mean we never really left Highfield Road, but forced out by greed at the highest level of the club. It was just right for us. It was literally MADE for us and still had potential for expansion.

Now we're eating a pukka pie with the queen's cutlery.

sky_blue_up_north

Do remember the old "flloodlights" - old wooden telephone poles with I think 4 lights on top. Lights were so low any sort of goal kick would disappear into the night sky and you had to watch the players to work out where it was coming down!

Flaming ech forgot about the old floodlights... do you remember the slopping pitch... that is why I am looking forward to next season, old grounds great memories

Last edited:

Sharpie83

God remember that sitting at the front in during a reserve game n not seeing the other side of the pitch it was that curved

Sky Blue Kid

Didn't go to too many games there but remember the rat run of roads on the way there. And how close you were to the pitch.

I was actually on the pitch next to the West End goal on that unforgetable day we beat Wolves 3-1 to get promotion...If I can work out how to upload the photo, I'll put it on here. :D

turlykerd

my grandad lived on highfield road, before he passed, and i always used to think what a great place to live....

i used to love the atmosphere, and in hindsight, it was more fan orientated , now city is being run by a load of jobsworth feckers who care more about stripping everything they can out of the club, and only see me as a commodity.

best goal i saw there was a tony dobson screamer, after taking on a few against a Portuguese or Turkish team in a pre season freindly... i think they were due to play villa a few weeks later in the uefa cup ?? cant remember the name, could have been Besiktas

Sharpie83

Wow I'd never seen how close the fans where when we beat wolves. Just think if that was the case today health and safety police would be going mental

LastGarrison

my grandad lived on highfield road, before he passed, and i always used to think what a great place to live....

i used to love the atmosphere, and in hindsight, it was more fan orientated , now city is being run by a load of jobsworth feckers who care more about stripping everything they can out of the club, and only see me as a commodity.

best goal i saw there was a tony dobson screamer, after taking on a few against a Portuguese or Turkish team in a pre season freindly... i think they were due to play villa a few weeks later in the uefa cup ?? cant remember the name, could have been Besiktas

You sure it weren't Banik Ostrava? He scored a belter from what seemed about the half way line in a pre-season friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread