Memorable Sky Blue debuts... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Elliot Ward looked immense in his first game, we'd just spend £1m on a player for the first time in ages and I wanted him to work but he saved about 5 goals that game (it felt like)

Until he took that penalty! (not on his debut)

skybluegod

TBH- I think the most anti-climatic one in recent times was Nouble's against Gillingham- Scored the winning goal in front of 27,000 Cov fans... about the only good he did for us! Barring the Peterborough comeback!

rob9872

Elliot Ward at Notts Co - not a ringing endorsement considering their position and he has played 11 games, but I'd have thought he could still do a job at our level.

skyblueelephant76

Tom Bayliss scored after about 2 mins!

The one I got badly wrong is mentioned higher up here and I think I've talked about it before - Kevin Drinkell. We were a good side already when we signed him for about £800k but needed a genuine regular finisher up top. That first game good movement, worked hard and scored the overhead. I said to my dad "this is exactly what we need, a 20-25 goal striker". I think that was his only goal for the rest of the season :(
Drinkell scored in each of his first three appearances and looked like he would be a great signing but then completely dried up.

Jcap

Steve Murcott vs Norwich 1979 - plucked out of the stands after Jim Blyth got injured in warm-up. Kept clean sheet we won 2-0!

rob9872

Drinkell scored in each of his first three appearances and looked like he would be a great signing but then completely dried up.
I seem to remember him being something like 5 in 4 to begin, but according to his Wiki page "Despite scoring on his debut against his hometown team, Grimsby, in the Football League Cup, his goalscoring form deserted him at Highfield Road (he failed to score in any of his 15 league appearances in the 1990–91 season "

tisza

David Speedie cleaning out Peter Reid in Charity Shield. Player who everyone used to hate and people didn't want joining us.
Charged around like maniac getting stuck in.
Scored on his league debut at Wednesday ??.
Loved Speedie - aggressive but not short on ability/skill.

Last edited:

Esoterica

One of the less obvious ones is the 2-1 win vs Middlesborough on the opening day of the 92/93 season. Remember John Williams scoring 10 mins into his debut and then a young Phil babb coming on for his debut with 20 mins to go and looking very classy. This naive teenager thought we were going to be in for an amazing season...

EDIT: Just googled that and the opening day of the season attendance was 12,681...

ccfcrob

Paul Telfer, 95-96 home to Man City first game of the season. Got both goals

skyblueelephant76

I seem to remember him being something like 5 in 4 to begin, but according to his Wiki page "Despite scoring on his debut against his hometown team, Grimsby, in the Football League Cup, his goalscoring form deserted him at Highfield Road (he failed to score in any of his 15 league appearances in the 1990–91 season "
He scored a great goal on his league debut against Manchester United in a 4-1 defeat. There are quotes from his book that he never felt welcome at the club and the cup winning players basically blocked him out.

rob9872

David Speedie cleaning out Peter Reid in Charity Shield. Player who everyone used to hate and people didn't want joining us.
Loved Speedie - aggressive but not sure on ability/skill.

Bags of ability and so much skill - one of my fav ever to wear the shirt.

colin101

David Thompson, sent off in his debut against Middlesborough, but turned out to be a great City player

Adge

It's bad that I can remember that clearly and it was 17 years ago. I feel old.
He had a great season at Bradford previously before joining us and had a great partnership with Robbie Blake where both scored 20 odd if I remember.

no_loyalty

Chris Whyte against Blackburn Rovers in a 5-0 City win, his one and only game for us.

Joy Division

I think he came off the bench as well. Immediate impact!

I hope I'm not making it up but I'm sure I remember Konjic getting substituted after about 20 minutes of a home game not because of injury but because he was THAT bad. We were 2-0 down pretty early on with both goals being his fault and the opposition striker running him ragged, maybe it was his first home game?

Still remains the quickest tactical substitution I've ever seen.

olderskyblue

Tommy Hutchison, think it was against Man City. Didn't score (I don't think?) but what a player. Magic. and we won.

Irish Sky Blue

I hope I'm not making it up but I'm sure I remember Konjic getting substituted after about 20 minutes of a home game not because of injury but because he was THAT bad. We were 2-0 down pretty early on with both goals being his fault and the opposition striker running him ragged, maybe it was his first home game?

Still remains the quickest tactical substitution I've ever seen.
Home defeat to Everton in the relegation season I think. He had a terrible game.

skybluesam66

Those whose debut was not only inspired but also their only game for us

Murcott - already mentioned
Mick Harford - was it 1 goal in about 20 minutes

ccfc_ukr

yes! i love posts like these, gives me an opportunity to mention my "hero" Oleksandr Yevtushok!! debuted against Man United and was replaced just after 30 minutes in a 1–3 loss. I remember absolutely buzzing about him coming on then being properly embarrassed when he got taken off! Ah... the good old days! :D

CovisGod

I remember just before we sat to watch him play for the first time a mate of mine "in the know" said that Kevin Malaga was going to be a future Premier League star and was our best signing in years. He's never lived that down

Nick

Administrator
I remember just before we sat to watch him play for the first time a mate of mine "in the know" said that Kevin Malaga was going to be a future Premier League star and was our best signing in years. He's never lived that down
Malaga was just misunderstood.

The Great Eastern

Loved Speedie - aggressive but not short on ability/skill.
Speedo's first league appearance for us was against Spurs at HR. Scored a classy goal as well.

Legia Sky Blue

Stuart Pearce's debut was pretty impressive. If I remember right Bobby Gould pretty much put him straight in the team having signed him from non league Wealdstone. Anyhow we played QPR and I can still remember the gasp from the crowd when he made first tackle on the unfortunate QPR winger, putting both him and the ball into the crowd.

oucho

Gary Mac's was memorable - for the wrong reasons. Stuffed 0-3 at home by Forest, Kevin Campbell hat trick if a I remember rightly for a side so poor they were relegated that season.

Users who are viewing this thread