Membership / Season Tickets (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

This is very true. Went to see us play at Yeovil a few seasons back . Caught the train with a fellow Cov fan at Torquay .When we changed at Exeter the platform was packed with Cov shirts from all over Devon and Cornwall. We have a big cov expat community down here.

Same in Dorset. The train from Weymouth had masses of City fans on it for the Yeovil games in recent years gone by.

D

Deleted member 4439

Our support is dreadful. You just can’t count on our fans to turn out like other clubs do. Yes we have been in the doldrums, yes we have plummeted but so did others. How I wish we had the rock solid support like Norwich, much smaller city and before the excuses are thrown back about how there is nothing else to do please note Coventry is not Las Vegas.
As for stating a lot of our support is not Coventry based....anecdotal not factual.

Before Norwich became a PL/Champ yo yo club their attendances were arguably worse that ours, all things being equal. Apples and pears

D

Deleted member 4439

Sorry but since 2005 they have had rock solid support including in league one. I envy them.

Nah, they spent one season in L1 whilst being bankrolled since 2003. Money in, supporters in. It's not magic and it's not about a constituent fanbase. Or maybe a whole bunch of new, loyal supporters moved to Norwich after 2003?

NortonSkyBlue

Harsh - we have a very good away support, which has steadily increased.
I have been part of our away support for 53 years and yes the support is growing compared to the past but let’s be honest when you have been part of an half empty lower stand end at QPR or on one of two coaches going to Bramhall Lane for a top flight game or been one of 300 going to St Andrews on a Saturday then we have not got a lot to shout about.
As a fan of ours said to me when we played Leeds at the Ricoh, now that’s away support.
I love our club but I am not blinded to the fact that at home games I have had rows of the stand to myself most of the time or that at away games we have just not turned up.
I would just like more supporters to actually turn up consistently.

D

Deleted member 4439

I have been part of our away support for 53 years and yes the support is growing compared to the past but let’s be honest when you have been part of an half empty lower stand end at QPR or on one of two coaches going to Bramhall Lane for a top flight game or been one of 300 going to St Andrews on a Saturday then we have not got a lot to shout about.
As a fan of ours said to me when we played Leeds at the Ricoh, now that’s away support.
I love our club but I am not blinded to the fact that at home games I have had rows of the stand to myself most of the time or that at away games we have just not turned up.

Leeds, probably the best away support in the country,

Evo1883

Sorry but since 2005 they have had rock solid support including in league one. I envy them.

Name me 1 , just 1 similar size to us ...who finished in the top 6 of ANY league ONCE in the previous 50 years before Robins came back ...

Just 1

No club of our stature has had it as dour , not one

It's almost like we started again in 2017

Norwich have had 14 top 6 finishes in whatever league in the last 50 years, so basically 1 in 3

With 6 promotions in the last 17 years 5 of which were to the top flight

Last edited:

Evo1883

Leeds have the best away support in the country .

Your comparisons are making no sense.

It's the biggest 1 team city in Britain

NortonSkyBlue

Name me 1 , just 1 similar size to us ...who finished in the top 6 of ANY league ONCE in the previous 50 years before Robins came back ...

Just 1

No club of our stature has had it as dour , not one

It's almost like we started again in 2017

Norwich have had 14 top 6 finishes in whatever league in the last 50 years, so basically 1 in 3

With 6 promotions in the last 17 years 5 of which were to the top flight
Excuses...34 years in the top flight,
Leeds have the best away support in the country .

Your comparisons are making no sense.

It's the biggest 1 team city in Britain
actually it wasn’t a comparison just an observation from a fellow supporter. Now on to your salient point…34 years in the top flight is a massive achievement, much bigger than anything in our history and there Is an argument that we let the club down by not backing the club like others do. It’s an argument that in my opinion is valid, obviously not in your opinion. You seem to take umbrage at what I have posted but if you turn up at games my post is not about you, it’s about the ones who don’t turn up and if you feel I am still wrong then get back to me.

Evo1883

actually it wasn’t a comparison just an observation from a fellow supporter. Now on to your salient point…34 years in the top flight is a massive achievement, much bigger than anything in our history and there Is an argument that we let the club down by not backing the club like others do. It’s an argument that in my opinion is valid, obviously not in your opinion. You seem to take umbrage at what I have posted but if you turn up at games my post is not about you, it’s about the ones who don’t turn up and if you feel I am still wrong then get back to me.

34 stagnant years in the top flight, doing pretty much nothing but struggle

Added to that 34 years in the top flight is small compared to many clubs

Sky Blue Harry H

or on one of two coaches going to Bramhall Lane for a top flight game

Was Tony Currie playing in that game - we won 1-0? If so i was on the one from Leamington that got bricked (not funny at the time, but hilarious in retrospect - worst brick throwers in terms of accuracy I've ever come across!)

letsallsingtogether

Rubbish not even United were filling their ground every week when we were in the prem as I have mentioned before we had bigger crowds then Birmingham and Leicester when we were in the prem together, you could get a ticket for nearly every ground on the day.
The Prem has changed now and if we ever get there we will sell out every week like every other team.
In 1999 2000 season we were 15th and Leicester were 16th funny how money and top players change things.

wantageskyblue

RSB - I’m with you on this. I think our away support over the last 4 or 4 years has at times been incredible. I travelled away regularly during the late 70s and through the early/mid 80s and our support was often embarrassing. Sure we could turn out for big games if there was a whiff of relative success but I remember many games in that period where there was less than 200 of us away.
-
I was a season ticket holder for the first 4 or 5 years after HR went all seater - some games there was less than 8k there, including away fans. When you factor in how many of those came from outside the city itself, the support was pitiful. I’m sure people will come up with all sorts of reasons for this but to me they are just excuses. This club has far too many “ band-wagon era” and 40 years later very little has changed.

Sbarcher

RSB - I’m with you on this. I think our away support over the last 4 or 4 years has at times been incredible. I travelled away regularly during the late 70s and through the early/mid 80s and our support was often embarrassing. Sure we could turn out for big games if there was a whiff of relative success but I remember many games in that period where there was less than 200 of us away.
-
I was a season ticket holder for the first 4 or 5 years after HR went all seater - some games there was less than 8k there, including away fans. When you factor in how many of those came from outside the city itself, the support was pitiful. I’m sure people will come up with all sorts of reasons for this but to me they are just excuses. This club has far too many “ band-wagon era” and 40 years later very little has changed.
I think our support has been eroded over the last 40/50 years or so with the influx of people moving to Coventry from all parts of the UK to work in the pits and car industries. Many were happy to go along and watch a game or two (my father included who was a Sunderland fan) but would never consider themselves to be a City supporter. We moved to Warwick when I was a nipper and started going to HR with a friend so that's how I got started. I would think Covenrty has one of the most diverse fan bases in the country.

clint van damme

I think our support has been eroded over the last 40/50 years or so with the influx of people moving to Coventry from all parts of the UK to work in the pits and car industries. Many were happy to go along and watch a game or two (my father included who was a Sunderland fan) but would never consider themselves to be a City supporter. We moved to Warwick when I was a nipper and started going to HR with a friend so that's how I got started. I would think Covenrty has one of the most diverse fan bases in the country.

It hasn't done the Manchester, Liverpool or London clubs any harm.

LincolnNick

Leeds, probably the best away support in the country,
I would put Newcastle up there as well due to distances they travel. It amazes me to see them filling away ends for weekday evening games that involve a 500 mile round trip. I remember them playing at the Ricoh on a Tuesday evening with approx 3000 fans and thinking I wouldn’t like that journey back.

D

Deleted member 4439

I would put Newcastle up there as well due to distances they travel. It amazes me to see them filling away ends for weekday evening games that involve a 500 mile round trip. I remember them playing at the Ricoh on a Tuesday evening with approx 3000 fans and thinking I wouldn’t like that journey back.

Agree, and it's why I'd like to see the likes of Newcastle and Leeds taking the top spots rather than the moneyed clubs like Chelsea and Leicester, who outside of that money wouldn't command such support.

Johnnythespider

By the same token we should expect an uplift in numbers from their children and grandchildren who are born in the area.

Gynnsthetonic

Just tried to buy 3 STs for me my wife and my brother, do you each need a client membership number to put them in there names as I can't seem to buy 3 on my account,I may wait till Monday and phone.

D

Deleted member 4439

Just tried to buy 3 STs for me my wife and my brother, do you each need a client membership number to put them in there names as I can't seem to buy 3 on my account,I may wait till Monday and phone.

You have to link their accounts, which you can do in your account management. Then you can allocate your purchases.

skybluesam66

Rubbish not even United were filling their ground every week when we were in the prem as I have mentioned before we had bigger crowds then Birmingham and Leicester when we were in the prem together, you could get a ticket for nearly every ground on the day.
The Prem has changed now and if we ever get there we will sell out every week like every other team.
In 1999 2000 season we were 15th and Leicester were 16th funny how money and top players change things.
correct
as a student in the mid 80s, we used to walk up, pay our £2.80 and stand on the terraces in a crowd of around 38000

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Leicester have gone from being a similar sized club to seriously considering extending their stadium to touching 40,000 because of demand . When they fell into league 1 briefly they still averaged over 20,000. We won't get near than next season apart from a few top fixtures .

Sky Blue Harry H

RSB - I’m with you on this. I think our away support over the last 4 or 5 years has at times been incredible
This club has far too many “ band-wagon era” and 40 years later very little has changed.

Doesn't the first bit contradict the second bit? I've followed the club for a similar era and I think we have steadily built up a more regular away following (as your first point suggested) Some of this has been aided by a lot of positive work between supporters' groups and the club. aided by recent relative success.

letsallsingtogether

Leicester have gone from being a similar sized club to seriously considering extending their stadium to touching 40,000 because of demand . When they fell into league 1 briefly they still averaged over 20,000. We won't get near than next season apart from a few top fixtures .
Correct but they havent had to put up with the shit we have.
Sorry but Northampton and Brum has lost us a lot of fans that will never return, none of my mates even take an interest anymore such a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread