McSheffrey not offered new deal at Scunny (1 Viewer)

The Gentleman

Bled the club dry for years during 2 spells-no thanks! Limitations always got looked over because he was from Cov.

Someone offers you a contract for a job in the city you were born. Do you say "no sod that, I'll do it for half"?

Grendel

And if you heard we were being offered a player with stats of last season 10 goals and 18 assists and could get him cheap on a short term deal, your answer would be?

I mean, if only we had a midfielder last season with 5 goals and 10 assists he would of got player of the year

According to soccer base he's scored 7 league goals in 54 games for Scunthorpe.

Grendel

According to the official league one stasis he made 7 assists the same as Jim O'brian

Grendel

7 in 44 league games 10 in all competitions (53 games)

Yes - not sounding so good now. Where's the rubbish about 18 assists coming from. And it's 7 league goals over 54 games since signing.

skybluetony176

Yes - not sounding so good now. Where's the rubbish about 18 assists coming from. And it's 7 league goals over 54 games since signing.

And 3 in other competitions 53 games in total. Still looks better than any of our lot last season. I assume the 18 assists is in all competitions not just league games. Again, I would imagine better than any of our squad last season.

Grendel

And 3 in other competitions 53 games in total. Still looks better than any of our lot last season. I assume the 18 assists is in all competitions not just league games. Again, I would imagine better than any of our squad last season.

So he made 11 assists in cup games?

Doubt that. The league stats suggest he made the same as JOB. He scored I think one more goal.

Wow.

higgs

He is over hill now good player in his day but we would be carrying him now if re signed him

Grendel

As this thread has now died a death I assume the stats are now acknowledged as being a load of bullocks then?

SkyBlue_Bear83

So he made 11 assists in cup games?

Doubt that. The league stats suggest he made the same as JOB. He scored I think one more goal.

Wow.

And JOB was probably comfortably our best midfielder last season bearing in mind Ward only played a handful of game, personally I don't want Sheff back but he had a decent season last year. A much better one than I thought he would have.

footyfrenzy

Bit strange, wonder what happened there. Have they got rid of someone else and that's promoted a change?

Out-of-contract winger Gary McSheffrey has signed a new one-year deal at the club.
The 32-year-old, who cost Birmingham City £4 million in August 2006, pens the contract to keep him at the club for the 2015/16 season.

The former Coventry City player made fifty appearances in all competitions for the Iron last season, notching ten goals and claiming eighteen assists along the way.

Arriving in January 2014 after departing Chesterfield, Gary made thirteen appearances in the remainder of the campaign which ultimately saw United promoted to League One – and didn’t feature in a Scunthorpe defeat during that spell.

The winger joins Joe Anyon to accept a new deal offered by the club, while there have been seven new players arrive at Glanford Park in Stephen Dawson, Scott Wiseman, Jack King, Isaac Assenso, Charlie Goode, Scott Laird and Tom Hopper.

stupot07

So he was offered a new contract after all? A bit weird considering be wasn't offered a new contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Captain Dart

So he was offered a new contract after all? A bit weird considering be wasn't offered a new contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Probably a negotiating tactic, from a position of strength no doubt.

Hobo

Probably a negotiating tactic, from a position of strength no doubt.

If they have brought a few in, perhaps they got people cheaper than expected so had some surplus. Perhaps they missed out on someone and thought we may as well stick with McSheffrey. Perhaps they were just drawing it up as his previous contract hadnt ran out yet. Perhaps him, the agent and the club were negotiating all the time prior to a contract offer?

this is the whole point, fans think they know a lot but know very little. We see players at best one day of their working week and even then only out on the pitch. We don't see them in the dressing room, or on the traing pitch, we don't see how they interact with each other and influence each other. We don't even know the wage they are drawing a lot of the time, it is just a guess.

i suspect once July gets underway we will see some real transfer activity which will put an end to these idle threads. However I suspect some players will be undeservedly criticised before they have even unpacked their boots.

procdoc

As this thread has now died a death I assume the stats are now acknowledged as being a load of bullocks then?

Not like you to make a thread all about you. I forgot the oracle is never wrong. Arrogance is an ugly trait Grendel me old fruit

Adge

Bit strange, wonder what happened there. Have they got rid of someone else and that's promoted a change?
Sounds like he was offered a lesser deal and when nobody else came in he signed on the dotted line.

Tonylinc

As a resident of Scunthorpe I can tell you that GM was offered a new contract some time ago and it was assumed that he would sign it upon his return from holiday which he clearly did. Forget the conspiracy theories folks.....he is a cult hero up here.

stupot07

As a resident of Scunthorpe I can tell you that GM was offered a new contract some time ago and it was assumed that he would sign it upon his return from holiday which he clearly did. Forget the conspiracy theories folks.....he is a cult hero up here.

Thanks for the insider knowledge Tony. It's just seems that slating GM is the cool thing to do in Coventry...:

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

I like Macca. Very good in his first spell but poor in his second. Definitely not a legend but one of our better players of recent times. Think we did well to get £4m from Blues for him, not sure how anyone can criticize that move he got to play in the Premier League and netted his boyhood club and the team he loves £4m.

Hobo

Thanks for the insider knowledge Tony. It's just seems that hating GM is the cool thing to do in Coventry...:

i haven't seen one post that says anybody hates him. Just some felt last time he was here he was disappointing. Also people don't necessarily think bringing him back for a third time would be a sign of progress.

Users who are viewing this thread