McNulty (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

I never said I thought we had a chance.

I just laugh at anyone who thinks we currently have better.

I don’t think anyone has claimed that.

McNulty was fantastic for us, and I’m grateful for all the memories. However, that season could just be a flash in the pan and wasn’t guaranteed goals in L1. To put it into perspective, McNulty’s record in L1 is about 1 in 5, which, as I’ve stated previously is below each of our 3 strikers at the minute. Would McNulty have done well for us in L1? Who knows.

We’ve got younger players who will develop and hopefully make v good League 1 strikers. JCH and Hiwula have hit 9 and 8 goals in a season beforehand so you’d think they can improve on that.

fernandopartridge

I don’t think anyone has claimed that.

McNulty was fantastic for us, and I’m grateful for all the memories. However, that season could just be a flash in the pan and wasn’t guaranteed goals in L1. To put it into perspective, McNulty’s record in L1 is about 1 in 5, which, as I’ve stated previously is below each of our 3 strikers at the minute. Would McNulty have done well for us in L1? Who knows.

We’ve got younger players who will develop and hopefully make v good League 1 strikers. JCH and Hiwula have hit 9 and 8 goals in a season beforehand so you’d think they can improve on that.

In fairness though, following your (correct) logic that strikers can improve, there is nothing to say that McNulty wouldn't have improved on his previous returns in L1, particularly off the back of a great season last year.

steve82

Me personally I’ve no real concerns over the strikers, I’d like to add one maybe on loan who brings different attributes to what JCH, Caplin and Hiwula offer but these are just the league figures the three are working at currently

Hiwula 270 mins per goal
Chaplin 277 mins per goal
JCH 343 mins per goal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

In fairness though, following your (correct) logic that strikers can improve, there is nothing to say that McNulty wouldn't have improved on his previous returns in L1, particularly off the back of a great season last year.
I'm sure he would have playing in a team that knew his strengths but it's madness to expect him to pick up where he left off last year now. He has fitness issues and would take months to get up to speed again while keeping our own players off the pitch.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat but only on a permanent contract.

higgs

He would guarantee goals in this division when fit no doubt about that you could see last year he was a class above the other players his movement was excellent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

capel & collindridge

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

On the second heartbeat, I'd compare his record in the Championship with Bright Erahkabone (whose name I already know backwards).

McNulty is 26 year old striker who has made 13 appearances in a Championship side that currently lies 23rd in the league and looks destined for League One. He has scored one goal. He has no prospect of playing any more games at Championship level.

Erahkabone is a forward, not a striker, still only 20 years old who has played all his first team football in the Championship. Three years, in 2015-16, Wolves finished 14th in the Championship. Erahkabone was just 17 but played in 9 first team games, and was in the starting line-up 3 times, scoring once. The following year when Wolves finished 15th,18 year old Erahkabone played in 14 first team games and started in nine of them. Last year when Wolves were champions of the Championship and won promotion to the Premier League, 19 year old Erhkabone played in 23 first team games scoring twice. Now as 20 year old with 46 first team games and three goals with a Championship side in his career so far, he is about to become a Sky Blue legend playing a league lower for the first time in his career.

Look what happened when the 25 year old Marc McNulty played a league lower in League 2! Perhaps the same thing will happen when young Erahkabone plays a league lower in League One!

Mucca Mad Boys

Absolutely. But, I get the impression that people think McNulty would’ve walked L1 and be scoring at a similar rate. In preseason, my guess would’ve been between 10-15 or 17 goals. Which is about a strike rate of 1 in 3. Which at this stage would be about 8 goals, Hiwula, JCH and Chaplin are on 6. There’s examples of L2 strikers scoring for fun and not making the same impact in L1, at least right away. For example, despite having a stormer this season, John Marquis went from scoring 26 in L2 (16/17) to 14 in L1 (17/18).

McNulty could’ve used his momentum to have great year with us had he stayed, it’s a possibility. But, that momentum has been lost over the last 6 months of not playing. To me, he isn’t the same player anymore and isn’t worth the resources we’d have to spend to get him back.

The transfer baffles me, why on earth did Reading spend £1m on a player they had no intention of evening playing?

luwalla

Me personally I’ve no real concerns over the strikers, I’d like to add one maybe on loan who brings different attributes to what JCH, Caplin and Hiwula offer but these are just the league figures the three are working at currently

Hiwula 270 mins per goal
JCH 343 mins per goal

what like... goals ?

hahah only joking, I actually agree with you and feel that ( some may say naively ) Chaplin is maybe a goal or two, from open play, away from kicking into gear... but I would like to see at least one of our strikers with a 1 at the start of that minutes per goal stats

fatso

Hiwula 270 mins per goal
JCH 343 mins per goal

Just out of interest, have you got the figures for goals from open play?

covcity4life

Hiwula 270 mins per goal
JCH 343 mins per goal

i agree in terms of having no real issues with our strikers,think they can all score if we make more chances per game

however mcnulty had better all round game than all of them, could dribble,hold up ball,score headers,score worldies,score tap ins etc

chaplin looks lost outside the box for e,g

whilst i think CC can be huge for us if we play to hisfox in the box strengths i would love mcnulty back

his dad says aint happening, wages prob too high, but if a championship club dont want him(likely) then maybe they would accept a 50% wages loan for rest of season? or maybe sudnerland will take him outright and storm the league

we shall see

Grendel

Considering McNulty wouldn’t come cheap, is it really worth it? Hasn’t played a lot, seemingly unfit, and frankly, isn’t the same player who scored 28 for us. Ideally, I’d have preferred him to stay, but the die has been cast and I don’t see a need for him. The risk outweigh the rewards and like an ex-girlfriend, best if we just move on.

1 in 5 is less than the 1 in 4 Chaplin, Hiwula and JCH have all got this season.

He is not coming here but your analysis is incredibly simplistic. He had one season when he played regular League one football for Sheff Utd and he managed to score 10 goals in 13 games started. many of his sub appearances were late and he didn't complete some of the games he started.

Users who are viewing this thread