Allen: off form
Kasta: Kasta
Baka: off form
Györkeres: unfit
Godden: injured
Walker: injured
Max: unfit
Jobello: injured

You forgot Jones injured. Dabo, James and Gyorkeres are unfit due to lack of games. The only fix is to keep playing them. Sometimes you just have to give players a run of games. Players go in and out of form all the time. Every team suffers with it.

Grendel

You forgot Jones injured. Dabo, James and Gyorkeres are unfit due to lack of games. The only fix is to keep playing them. Sometimes you just have to give players a run of games. Players go in and out of form all the time. Every team suffers with it.

Gyorkes scored for Swansea couple of weeks ago so he has played some football

shmmeee

Not sure you can claim James is unfit due to lack of games. He’s played pretty much every game since October. So has Dabo TBH, I’m just hoping his performances are fitness based and not ability.

cov donkey kick

You think that MR can be inept at times?
Hard to know what some people expect from the manager. It would seem that it would have to be someone who makes the correct decision every time. As Robins is human then I think you have to accept that mistakes will be made, but to use the word ‘inept’ I would suggest is just about as over the top as you can get.
To get from where we were when he took over to where we are now, how can he be described in anyway as inept? This season will be the third time, year on year, that Robins has improved our final league position. The only season under him that we didn’t improve was the season we gained promotion from division 4 As we were virtually relegated when he took over, hard to criticise him for that. So many things have improved surrounding the playing side, but he is inept?
I noticed that the usual crew had a go at him for bringing Godden back ‘too soon’. This totally ignores the fact that he would have listened to both the club’s medical team and the player himself, before bringing him back. Players get injured all the time, but his injury recurrence gave some people a stick to beat him with even though they have no way of knowing the circumstances surrounding the Godden injury. Now MR is a poor, atrocious and terrible manager for allowing Biamou to play on, even though the player and presumably the medical team are okay about it.. Rather than see it as an indication of the spirit that exists within the squad, and the courage and commitment of the player, Robins is just proving what a shocking manager he is.
All of these comments come after an away defeat at a play off placed team when we were undone by individual errors. I honestly don’t think that we would ever have a manager who satisfied some people on here unless they won every game.
I think your spot on with this post.

Brighton Sky Blue

It does, but also as someone previously mentioned it depends on the tear. I torn mine 5 times from university until I was around 26, and initially had surgery but in my last consultation (probably 4/5 years ago) I was told that although there is still a slight tear, if I can continue as normal without any pain than it could be preferable to more surgery. I've since ran a marathon, run regularly and play football three times a week with periods ranging from absolutely no idea about it to very minor discomfort. The biggest thing for me is flexibility in that knee, if I were kneel on it and lean back it would feel like it would 'pop' but not any real pain. This isn't to discredit Max, it would be a lot easier to get it treated depending on what they are suggesting. He also has a lot more on the line to play for than I do in terms of its his career and it could of course be detrimental. But there is also every chance it isn't limiting him or causing as much pain as some on here may be suggesting.

I’m more thinking the club taking the risk on injuring Max rather than play a fully fit Baka

Bumberclart

Having had 3 ops on cartilage injuries (both knees and an ankle) I honestly don't know how Max has played.
On all occasions the pain has been really bad. You can be walking along ok, then just catch a heel on the pavement and it feels like a hot poker has been jammed into the knee.
I know hes had pain killers before games, but he can't be training properly with an injury like that.

stevefloyd

I’m more thinking the club taking the risk on injuring Max rather than play a fully fit Baka
This not an intentional knock at Baka but I think we have all seen he offers absolutely nothing on the pitch in the games he has played this season, he really must have Robins tearing his hair out at what to do to motivate him, meanwhile Walsall fans are sitting there smoking cigars with a smug look saying 'we told you so'!!

Brighton Sky Blue

This not an intentional knock at Baka but I think we have all seen he offers absolutely nothing on the pitch in the games he has played this season, he really must have Robins tearing his hair out at what to do to motivate him, meanwhile Walsall fans are sitting there smoking cigars with a smug look saying 'we told you so'!!

From what Robins has said he has tried really hard with him to get him to use his physical attributes more effectively but it just hasn’t worked. He has the physique to cause damage but hardly uses it

Frostie

Cc84’s team:
Wilson
Østigård McCallum
Sheaf

Sorry, has to be two up front so:
Wilson
Østigård
-
Sheaf McCallum

Maroši: injured
Dabo: unfit
Hyam: off form
Rose: injured
James: unfit
O’Hare: off form
Shipley: off form

He doesn't rate Sheaf or Wilson either

mark82

Cc84’s team:
Wilson
Østigård McCallum
Sheaf

Sorry, has to be two up front so:
Wilson
Østigård
-
Sheaf McCallum

Maroši: injured
Dabo: unfit
Hyam: off form
Rose: injured
James: unfit
O’Hare: off form
Shipley: off form

You've only done this because you love using ßpëçïàl Çhãråçtêrß.

Irish Sky Blue

I do think Robins can be tactically inept at times and his stubborn refusal to change in game situations has undoubtedly cost us points this season and in seasons gone by. I think many would agree with that statement and are not completely blinkered.

I have not said the Mark Robins is inept all the time and am I happy he is our manager yes - do I think he is as good tactically and as a manager as someone like Neil Warnock no I do not ! It does not mean I do not appreciate what he has done with the club.

Max's has been portrayed as a hero which is the point of this thread opening for playing with an injury.

I like Max the injury cannot be that serious though and many players play through injuries some not that wisely so to portray him as heroic is wrong if injury not that serious.

If it is serious he should not really be playing as commendable as it is - people on this thread have said he does not look the same and he has had serious injuries in the past. I would rather play Baka as a sub coming on or Bapaga than risk Max suffer another long term injury at his age personally.
The dictionary definition for inept is 'incompetent and bungling'. You say you don't think he is inept all of the time. Presumably you think he is inept then a considerable amount of the time.
I would really struggle to think of too many times over the past 4 years that Robins has made incompetent or bungling decisions. In reality, I can't think of anything that he had done that fits that description. No doubt he has made mistakes, but to be called inept, bungling incompetent? Grossly unfair.
What amazes me is the is way that some people make pronouncements on his tactics or his substitutions with such a degree of certainty. In their minds, there is no room for doubt. Robins was wrong and they were right. This despite looking in from the outside. (The clamour from some posters for two up front for example when only those on the inside knew Biamou was carrying an injury).
Everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to them. I think Russell Slade has been the worst manager we have had in the 54 years I have supported the club. I feel this way because of the awful football we played and the fact we played that way and still lost most games. I couldn't understand why we lumped long balls forward all of the time while playing a small forward like Bevan. Despite this I would accept that Slade knows far more about football than I will ever know. In a discussion on the merits of certain footballers or on tactics, Slade should and probably would wipe the floor with me.
I think that being a manager, particularly these days is a skilled and technical, multi facetted job. To constantly criticise what a successful bloke like Robins is doing and to do it from the outside with such absolute certainty I think borders on the delusional.
I simply don't get why the only successful manager we have had for the past 20 odd years is only ever a run of one defeat in a row from being ridiculed. We have had success, after success over the past 4 years, success achieved in the bleakest of circumstances. As I said previously, only a manager who wins almost all of the time would be acceptable to some, something a club of our stature is never going to achieve

Last edited:

Grendel

Hobo

Back end of last season Baka showed some improvement. I suspect hence contract extension along with our limited budget. But he hasnt kicked on this season at all. Personally I would have let him go in the summer.

johnwillomagic

Irish sky blue you are trying to put words into my mouth - I think at times he has proven to be tactically inept and by not making changes has cost us points in the past undoubtedly.

However I have also stated I am happy with him as our manager but I do think on occasion he has flaws.

Robins has achieved fantastic things but let's not forget that he was starting from bottom and we were one of the big hitters in terms of side and budgets in league one and certainly in league two - this season is the toughest for him and if we survive he will rightly gain credit again.

Two up front is not entirely dependant on Biamou - he could give Baka another chance for instance and I would not have an issue with that and would actually prefer that given Biamou situation - also have Bapaga which would be nice to get a few more minutes into this season.

I do agree Slade was shocking for us but has had success in the past at the time I thought it was not that bad an appointment I got that one wrong hold my hands up - I am sure Robins would do the same if you asked him forums are for people to express opinions and if people do feel that the manager deserves a little bit of criticism I do not see the problem with that.......if not allowed to do that managers would never lose their jobs.......Ranieri won the premier league with Leicester and look how that played out in the future for instance......

cc84cov

Irish sky blue you are trying to put words into my mouth - I think at times he has proven to be tactically inept and by not making changes has cost us points in the past undoubtedly.

However I have also stated I am happy with him as our manager but I do think on occasion he has flaws.

Robins has achieved fantastic things but let's not forget that he was starting from bottom and we were one of the big hitters in terms of side and budgets in league one and certainly in league two - this season is the toughest for him and if we survive he will rightly gain credit again.

Two up front is not entirely dependant on Biamou - he could give Baka another chance for instance and I would not have an issue with that and would actually prefer that given Biamou situation - also have Bapaga which would be nice to get a few more minutes into this season.

I do agree Slade was shocking for us but has had success in the past at the time I thought it was not that bad an appointment I got that one wrong hold my hands up - I am sure Robins would do the same if you asked him forums are for people to express opinions and if people do feel that the manager deserves a little bit of criticism I do not see the problem with that.......if not allowed to do that managers would never lose their jobs.......Ranieri won the premier league with Leicester and look how that played out in the future for instance......
We scrapped into the play off final place in a league we should of won and got handed the league title with a lot of games left he’s done well but his biggest achievement will be keeping us up I think the squad should be good enough it’s how he sets them up I worry about and tactically changes at crucial times

NortonSkyBlue

What I’ve said is not wrong tho

Get with it
It is an opinion but here’s an alternative to your hate filled view. We were at the lowest ebb when Robins took over, he had a few weeks and a close season to rebuild a losing culture, a club with death written all over it. We may have been the big fish but were not a big team. We endured the horrors of Forest Green Rovers, Newport and a thrashing by Yeovil with a patched up team, a mixture of serial losers, has beens and non league journeymen, including our current captain who went down with Orient. Hardly a recipe to walk the league. Get promoted through the play offs, build some fan goodwill, rebuild for the next season. Do well to finish eighth.
Rebuild squad yet again, find ourselves in Birmingham, win the league comfortably aided by Covid agreed but probably would have gone up.
Lose some key loan players, replace them, sign some players non of whom were starters for their previous clubs. Go again in the championship and are struggling with strength in depth, player confidence, injuries but are still with their heads above water.
Totally different narrative- get with it

Grendel

It is an opinion but here’s an alternative to your hate filled view. We were at the lowest ebb when Robins took over, he had a few weeks and a close season to rebuild a losing culture, a club with death written all over it. We may have been the big fish but were not a big team. We endured the horrors of Forest Green Rovers, Newport and a thrashing by Yeovil with a patched up team, a mixture of serial losers, has beens and non league journeymen, including our current captain who went down with Orient. Hardly a recipe to walk the league. Get promoted through the play offs, build some fan goodwill, rebuild for the next season. Do well to finish eighth.
Rebuild squad yet again, find ourselves in Birmingham, win the league comfortably aided by Covid agreed but probably would have gone up.
Lose some key loan players, replace them, sign some players non of whom were starters for their previous clubs. Go again in the championship and are struggling with strength in depth, player confidence, injuries but are still with their heads above water.
Totally different narrative- get with it

He’s also spent more money in transfer fees than any other manager probably since Adams

NortonSkyBlue

He’s also spent more money in transfer fees than any other manager probably since Adams
Not denying that. I understand that you are not appreciative of the work that Robins has done and as I said to other chap, it’s an opinion that I think is misguided. Our club is built on a house of cards and the main reason it is still standing is our manager.
The continual bile aimed in his direction by yourself and others is not supported by the progress that has been made. There is always going to be sniping but surely being supportive of the team you follow is an option too?

Grendel

Not denying that. I understand that you are not appreciative of the work that Robins has done and as I said to other chap, it’s an opinion that I think is misguided. Our club is built on a house of cards and the main reason it is still standing is our manager.
The continual bile aimed in his direction by yourself and others is not supported by the progress that has been made. There is always going to be sniping but surely being supportive of the team you follow is an option too?

Im not saying other than the fact his been the most supported manager here since Coleman and if he’d been treated the same as say Boothroyd he’d have failed.

Also like Boddy Robins seems very invested in the owners strategy and is the one manager who seems to enjoy working with them

Make of that what you will

NortonSkyBlue

Im not saying other than the fact his been the most supported manager here since Coleman and if he’d been treated the same as say Boothroyd he’d have failed.

Also like Boddy Robins seems very invested in the owners strategy and is the one manager who seems to enjoy working with them

Make of that what you will
What I make it is we were in a desperate situation as a team and club and now we have moved up two divisions and I for one am glad we have a manager who has the respect and support of the owners and that it is mutual. The alternative doesn’t need spelling out.

Grendel

What I make it is we were in a desperate situation as a team and club and now we have moved up two divisions and I for one am glad we have a manager who has the respect and support of the owners and that it is mutual. The alternative doesn’t need spelling out.

whatever. If we got relegated he will stay - then get fired next season

To me it’s binary. We survive he stays we go down he goes - gushing nonsense about statues For finishing 6 the in league 2 doesn’t do it for me

Users who are viewing this thread