Matty godden (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Godden has 10 this season and has been out 2 months... Cant help but think we'd be top now if he'd been fit for the whole season

Johnnythespider

Godden has now scored more league goals in the last 2 games, than Biamou scored in the entire promotion season. (And at a higher level)
It makes me wonder why there is such a big fan following for Biamou, no disrespect to Max, and I know he gives 100%, but there’s no escaping the fact that we’ve missed a natural scorer.
Who has said Biamou should be playing ahead of Godden?

fatso

No one. No idea where that came from. If you actually read the post before aimlessly responding, you would quite clearly see that I was referring to the Biamou fan club.
How you thought I or anyone was/had suggested Max should start ahead of Godden is absolutely beyond me.

Grendel

A few people on the Wycombe thread said that he should be dropped for Biamou I think. He also was heavily criticised by some after the Lincoln game

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Godden has now scored more league goals in the last 2 games, than Biamou scored in the entire promotion season. (And at a higher level)
It makes me wonder why there is such a big fan following for Biamou, no disrespect to Max, and I know he gives 100%, but there’s no escaping the fact that we’ve missed a natural scorer.

I think for most Biamou is, given the choices available to us, seen as either a partner or back-up to Godden for teams where his physicality might be of more benefit than Godden. I don't think anyone would be there saying he's more likely to score goals but he has other assets which can be valuable to the team because he's a different type of player. He's a more than worthy member of the squad and over the course of a season with injuries/suspensions/form etc he has a part to play as that second striker, but you wouldn't want to be relying on him as your main man.

Astute

William Hill still has him at 66/1 for top scorer. As low as 16/1 elsewhere. Got another £50 on him today.

Joint 10th now but only 4 goals behind.the top scorers.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Someone also said Robins had coached the goals out of him.

I had questioned MR's ability to get goals from all of our strikers over a prolonged period - there is no question our biggest problem under his tenure has been putting teams away and scoring. Why that has been has been has been the matter for debate - is it the tactics leaving the striker isolated? Is it going defensive when we have a lead? Was part of it poor coaching because we've missed some glorious one-on-one chances and even open goals?

We seen to have hit upon a couple of formations that can reap benefits of either the two like Shipley/Westbrooke behind a front man or playing two strikers depending on the situation. In the last game we've even seen MR change from one system to the other which is encouraging in terms of making the opposition adapt to us. Long may that continue.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A few people on the Wycombe thread said that he should be dropped for Biamou I think. He also was heavily criticised by some after the Lincoln game

I put Biamou back into my team because I thought he'd be better suited to deal with the physicality of Wycombe and Godden hadn't looked like he was moving completely freely and over his injury prior to that game and would be more effective as a sub. That would've been the wrong choice with hindsight.

But how many of us felt that Godden would've ended up with 6 goals in 2 games at the start of the Wycombe game? If you'd said then Godden would score a single goal in each game most would've been quite happy with that.

Grendel

William Hill still has him at 66/1 for top scorer. As low as 16/1 elsewhere. Got another £50 on him today.

Hasn’t Godden got 9 league goals and Toney 15?

fatso

Not a bad punt that, might have a little flutter myself.

Evo1883

I think the 2 months out will stop him being the leagues too scorer, I'd be delighted if he got another 10-12 goals from now until May in the league

steve cooper

Godden 50 to 1 to score a 3rd hat-trick in a row this weekend. Not been done in english league since 1946 apparently. Worth a small bet.

Astute

I think the 2 months out will stop him being the leagues too scorer, I'd be delighted if he got another 10-12 goals from now until May in the league
If we keep playing the same he will keep scoring. And remember he is also the penalty taker.

Look at how many games we have missed a proper striker. 6 goals in 2 games.

Good odds for an E/W....

Exit Stage Left

So then, looks the business if you ask me, specifically looking at his movement, always on the last man looking for the run in behind, was in the correct position for the dissalowed goal, a problem we have with our other forwards.
Always there.. If you know what I mean
Can leap surprisingly high and looks like he will win Alot of flick ons, hopefully jordy jobello and kastaneer pick up on this as we progress.
Did fantastic for our 3rd yesterday, seems to have some pace too, enough to stay ahead of the last defender
Took his goal really well too... Definitely think we have the 20 goal man tbh

Good early post about Matt Godden's potential and he definitely has looked the business in the last couple of games.

But the bit you wrote about Jordy Hiwula, Wesley Jobello and Gervane Kastaneer all feeding off Godden's flick one???!!!!
Do you still think that's going to happen given the injuries and bad form these three players have suffered?

harvey098

Yeah, you said after the Lincoln game that he wouldn’t even get into the squad of any of the top 6 teams hahaha short memory.

harvey098

I was worried about the service we would give him when he first came but I was well wrong. Our midfield has been brilliant and although I love Biamou, if Godden had been fit the whole season, he would be right up there in the league top scorers list.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah, you said after the Lincoln game that he wouldn’t even get into the squad of any of the top 6 teams hahaha short memory.

Tbh I don’t think that’s as ridiculous as it sounds. 5 of the top 6 have a player with the same amount or more goals. Wycombe don’t but I don’t envisage him fitting in their style of play

Oh just re read it. Thought you meant starting line up

rob9872

Missed this & they've slashed him to 16/1 now. Best anywhere is 25/1.
Tbf we're 6/1 to win the league (2nd favourites behind Oxford). I think we'll be up there, but the only way I see us winning the league is if someone like Godden, scores a bucket-load, so even at 25/1 for top GS, it looks tremendous value. If he can stay fit and the form he/we are in then he could quickly make that ground up on the front runners.

mark82

TBF, up until the second half of the Lincoln game, where he showed flashes of what was to come, he still looked well off the pace - not surprising considering he'd had surgery - so, saying Biamou should have played against Wycombe without hindsight wasn't the wildest suggestion ever, particularly as Biamou has been in decent form the few games before.

Also, on Godden, I think his form pre-surgery can be put down to him having a chronic injury. I think now we're starting to see the true player that he is, and he looks very good.

Users who are viewing this thread