Matty godden (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Tbh I don’t think that’s as ridiculous as it sounds. 5 of the top 6 have a player with the same amount or more goals. Wycombe don’t but I don’t envisage him fitting in their style of play

Oh just re read it. Thought you meant starting line up

His quote from me was the Shrewsbury game not the Lincoln one

robbiekeane

Good early post about Matt Godden's potential and he definitely has looked the business in the last couple of games.

But the bit you wrote about Jordy Hiwula, Wesley Jobello and Gervane Kastaneer all feeding off Godden's flick one???!!!!
Do you still think that's going to happen given the injuries and bad form these three players have suffered?
Hey bud. Not my post but just wading in here with a few thoughts.

When we were lining up as a 4-3-3 i believe it was supposed to be with two "inside forwards". What was happening though was Jobello was hugging the touchline and Hiwula in fairness was playing more of that role but we were still relying on those guys for the width (his dog shit touch let him down a few times).

Now though with this 3-4-2-1 formation, you have Shipley and Westbrooke (or whoever they get swapped out for) playing much narrower and almost like two number 10s. Not exactly, but that kind of shape. This allows them to give Godden a lot more support and push up, lay it off for him or even win the flick ons to feed him.

Take a look at Goddens goal of the season contender last week, where Shipley did the fancy flick mid air. Godden's movement to even read that situation was incredible (as was Shipley's vision and technique). Seems he thrives when he has that kind of support, so he was absolutely wasted when he was isolated on his own.

Usually with the midfield playing narrower you sacrifice width, but because we have Dabo and Mccallum who are doing the wing back roles magnificently we have all bases covered!

Really seems to be the perfect style and playing to our strengths!

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Hey bud. Not my post but just wading in here with a few thoughts.

When we were lining up as a 4-3-3 i believe it was supposed to be with two "inside forwards". What was happening though was Jobello was hugging the touchline and Hiwula in fairness was playing more of that role but we were still relying on those guys for the width (his dog shit touch let him down a few times).

Now though with this 3-4-2-1 formation, you have Shipley and Westbrooke (or whoever they get swapped out for) playing much narrower and almost like two number 10s. Not exactly, but that kind of shape. This allows them to give Godden a lot more support and push up, lay it off for him or even win the flick ons to feed him.

Take a look at Goddens goal of the season contender last week, where Shipley did the fancy flick mid air. Godden's movement to even read that situation was incredible (as was Shipley's vision and technique). Seems he thrives when he has that kind of support, so he was absolutely wasted when he was isolated on his own.

Usually with the midfield playing narrower you sacrifice width, but because we have Dabo and Mccallum who are doing the wing back roles magnificently we have all bases covered!

Really seems to be the perfect style and playing to our strengths!
I think Jodi Jones can play that 'no 10' role as well tbh, he's not an out and out winger and was often picking up the ball in the hole before he got injured, he's got pace as well so may get in behind a bit more than certainly Westbrooke.

shmmeee

Tbf we're 6/1 to win the league (2nd favourites behind Oxford). I think we'll be up there, but the only way I see us winning the league is if someone like Godden, scores a bucket-load, so even at 25/1 for top GS, it looks tremendous value. If he can stay fit and the form he/we are in then he could quickly make that ground up on the front runners.

What odds for both league winners and top GS together?

rob9872

What odds for both league winners and top GS together?
Not sure if it will let you (depending on which site you bet at) as a straight double (eg 25 x 6 = 150). A bit like first goal scorer affecting the scorecast odds, they would argue one is a contributory factor of the other. I'd guess something in the middle like 75/1.

higgs

TBF, up until the second half of the Lincoln game, where he showed flashes of what was to come, he still looked well off the pace - not surprising considering he'd had surgery - so, saying Biamou should have played against Wycombe without hindsight wasn't the wildest suggestion ever, particularly as Biamou has been in decent form the few games before.

Also, on Godden, I think his form pre-surgery can be put down to him having a chronic injury. I think now we're starting to see the true player that he is, and he looks very good.
I didn't think he had surgery

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

His work rate today was off the scale. Immense performance and still not MoM.
That's where we are now. Never thought I'd see the likes

hill83

Played really well today. Worked hard. He’s limited for me, but took his goal well and he’s better than we’ve had for a long time.

hill83

QtskIOU.jpg

Just quit my job

SBAndy

13 league goals in 25 league games

Few weeks out

Goal every 145 minutes

20 goal striker in a full season no sweat

When he had those back-to-back hat tricks, I did have a mild concern that whilst he was on 8 goals, he’d only scored in 4 games. Like the fact he’s now popping up with crucial goals in big games - winners v Pompey and Sunderland and the equaliser v Rotherham.

shmmeee

When he had those back-to-back hat tricks, I did have a mild concern that whilst he was on 8 goals, he’d only scored in 4 games. Like the fact he’s now popping up with crucial goals in big games - winners v Pompey and Sunderland and the equaliser v Rotherham.

His ability to score in big games is huge. His hat tricks were our first away wins too.

harvey098

That Pompey goal was a moment of quality that not many league 1 players could do.

Magwitch

Godden played well today, working his nuts off again, scored again should of had another, he suits our way of playing to a tee.

Evo1883

TBF, up until the second half of the Lincoln game, where he showed flashes of what was to come, he still looked well off the pace - not surprising considering he'd had surgery - so, saying Biamou should have played against Wycombe without hindsight wasn't the wildest suggestion ever, particularly as Biamou has been in decent form the few games before.

Also, on Godden, I think his form pre-surgery can be put down to him having a chronic injury. I think now we're starting to see the true player that he is, and he looks very good.

Looking back this post is correct imo in regards to his chronic injury , and I think you can safely say from my original post... Hiwula, Jobello and kastaneer will no longer be trying to get onto his flick ons 😂😂

Magwitch

Godden is a quality striker better than some give him credit for can play up top on his own or with a partner or partners. I think over the season we will see him in all three guises, that’s what Robins is creating, variable options

Sky Blue Harry H

Godden is a quality striker better than some give him credit for can play up top on his own or with a partner or partners. I think over the season we will see him in all three guises, that’s what Robins is creating, variable options
Which three guises is that? Godden, Baka and Walker? ;)

Liquid Gold

We definitely saw the better of him once he shook off his injury. He just knows where the net is and now he's fully fit gets himself into positions to put it in.

Fair play to the backroom staff at the club for not forcing him to play through it, looking at the long game and getting the surgery done early.

Sky Blue Harry H

Fair play to the backroom staff at the club for not forcing him to play through it, looking at the long game and getting the surgery done early.

Good point that, I'd remembered him being out for a bit, but almost forgotten about the surgery.

Skyblueweeman

The goal against QPR absolutely proves this. Great movement, and the header was put perfectly to make it too awkward for the keeper.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah, have to agree. Thought his movement for his goal was great. Real strikers instinct to feign going to the near post then pulling back to the near post in acres of space. Top marks.

Users who are viewing this thread