Matty Godden Injury (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Robins has deemed Ponticelli not at the right level. Tranmeres manager evidentially agrees. Most people who have seen him play also agree he wasn’t up to the level. But a few still hold onto a quote from god knows where about ‘he’s the best natural finisher in the history of world football’. Get over it lads, he’s not the messiah.

Tranmere aren't creating a great number of chances and as scoring chances is Ponticelli's predominant attribute it'd be limiting his chances of affecting the game positively. Right now Tranmere probably need a striker who has a better overall game, even if they aren't as clinical in front of goal.

We on the other hand are the complete opposite - creating a glut of chances and not scoring them. Right now we could arguably make the most of Ponticelli's attributes. I'm not suggesting he is definitely the answer, just that he deserves a chance to see if he is given all before him have not just failed to take the bull by the horns but taken one look at the bull and run away screaming.

CanadianCCFC

Robins has deemed Ponticelli not at the right level. Tranmeres manager evidentially agrees. Most people who have seen him play also agree he wasn’t up to the level. But a few still hold onto a quote from god knows where about ‘he’s the best natural finisher in the history of world football’. Get over it lads, he’s not the messiah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We haven’t scored in 3 games against 11th, 19th and 20th in this league, and even worse we had had Godden for two of those. He doesn’t need to be the messiah to be considered for a place in the team.

higgs

Now that jobello is out and kasta is more of a heavy weight boxer than a winger and Jodi is still crocked is robin's looking at a change of formation in January a new number 9 to play with God and going back to 442

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's that good he struggles to get into a bottom 5 League 1 side...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I've already said that the kind of striker they're in need of is different to the kind of striker we're looking for. We're creating chances so are looking for a finisher to put them away so we're not so wasteful. Tranmere are looking for someone who can add more all round and get them further up the pitch.

Grendel

I've already said that the kind of striker they're in need of is different to the kind of striker we're looking for. We're creating chances so are looking for a finisher to put them away so we're not so wasteful. Tranmere are looking for someone who can add more all round and get them further up the pitch.

I thought you said we didn’t need another forward and should spend the money on a forward coach to improve the conversion rate?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought you said we didn’t need another forward and should spend the money on a forward coach to improve the conversion rate?

What are you blithering about now?

When I say 'looking' for someone who can put the ball in the net it does not automatically mean I think we are or should be looking to add more bodies to the squad. If you're looking for your keys are you at a locksmith getting a new set cut or in the house looking for the ones you already have?

Preferably the person we're looking for would be someone we already have on our books to step up and save expense of transfers/signing on fees and wages. Given that we can only sign free agents and Ponti can't be recalled until Jan (unless Tranmere agreed to a cancellation maybe) we're stuck with what we've got anyway, so at the moment our best hope is a forward coach to work on the strikers finishing.

cc84cov

Can’t see Ponti being kept on any idea when his contract is up ?

How have we managed to get so many shit forwards at the club at present is my question

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

June 2021.

As to why we've got so many shit forwards at present and in recent seasons you've got to be looking at the scouting, recruitment and coaching. To a lesser extent maybe the tactics, but given how many chances we create this appears to be less of an issue.

Esoterica

Have I erased some of Godden's misses in response to the trauma of it all? Apart from the 2nd half at Tranmere has he done much else wrong?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

They’ve both got 4 each. They will both score over 10 and probably one will go past 15. Actually fuck it, let’s get rid and bring ponticelli in. That will solve everything

My question still stands. Have you seen any of this season? Our forwards aren't good enough.

Nick

Administrator
Godden is probably going to be out for tonight too isn't he?

Robbins needs to really change things up front.

Esoterica

I was hoping that it would be one of those that just flares up and goes away with an injection and a few days off, knowing our luck it'll need an op though.

“He had an injection of anaesthetic on Friday to numb the area to see if it does any good, and it was doing it good because it felt better, but I have got to wait until Monday to see what he is like. “But that could be anything. It could be an operation or anything, so I still don’t know what the outcome will be on that for a while.”

“But we’ll see how he is on Monday and take it from there.
“But he’s clearly got to be right because up until now he has played with it and not really moaned about it. Then, all of a sudden, it’s become too much.

“Credit to him for that but he needed some sort of intervention prior to this but he just wants to play, so it’s a difficult one and maybe on Monday he’ll come in and be able to perform back to the level that we know he can play at.”

Grendel

June 2021.

As to why we've got so many shit forwards at present and in recent seasons you've got to be looking at the scouting, recruitment and coaching. To a lesser extent maybe the tactics, but given how many chances we create this appears to be less of an issue.

The last decade has seen the most prolific number of goal scorers I can remember for some time

your strange ability to over analyse things mean you analyse nothing

ccfchoi87

The last decade has seen the most prolific number of goal scorers I can remember for some time

Only three seasons in the last decade we have failed to have a player score at a rate of 0.4 per game. Two of which we got relegated. The other was last year.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But in the UK often the scouting, recruitment and coaching teams change with a manager. Even if the individuals are the same they're often given new parameters or told to look for different type of players by said manager. So to use the last decade isn't very useful (but even then I wouldn't say we've been massively blessed with high scorers).

Under MR since his return the recruitment and performance of almost all our strikers has been poor. Even the one major success, McNulty, was poor for quite a while under MR's preferred tactics which he then had to change due to injuries to Jones and Andreu resulting in McNulty having more support with him up front.

cc84cov

What does he do tho nick ? We seemed to have put our eggs in the 433 basket Hiwula has been a let down now Jobello is out we need to either sign 2 wingers/inside forwards or change the system.

4312 would be my suggestion with O’Hare Number 10 Godden & another striker together,Kelly,Walsh & Shipley in midfield...maybe play Hiwula & Godden together upfront tonight if Godden is fit nearly 30 goals between them at this level last season.

People have mentioned Eisa a few times saying we should of got him Peterborough play 41212 he’s up front with Toney but even Eisa would struggle on his own for us,Godden played in a 2 for them last season.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

What does he do tho nick ? We seemed to have put our eggs in the 433 basket Hiwula has been a let down now Jobello is out we need to either sign 2 wingers/inside forwards or change the system.

4312 would be my suggestion with O’Hare Number 10 Godden & another striker together,Kelly,Walsh & Shipley in midfield...maybe play Hiwula & Godden together upfront tonight if Godden is fit nearly 30 goals between them at this level last season.

People have mentioned Eisa a few times saying we should of got him Peterborough play 41212 he’s up front with Toney but even Eisa would struggle on his own for us,Godden played in a 2 for them last season.
I have said similar on a different post. That formation, with Kelly sitting really deep (almost a Busquets for Barcelona role) with all the width coming from Mason and Dabo. Of course, it might not work but it appears to suit the players available and also frees up O'Hare to have a creative license.

higgs

Good investment by the posh in eisa he will have added a few million to his price tag by the end of the season and potentially have fired them to the championship with tonev and Maddison they are as good a front 3 as you will find at this level

Esoterica

If he does persist with the 4-3-3, at the very least I'd swap Hiwula to the right of the 3 for a couple of games. A lot of his worst efforts this season have been when the ball has come across the box to him and he has to shoot on an angle with his left foot. Let him get those type of chances on his preferred right foot where he can confidently stick his laces through it and maybe he'll grab the goal that brings his confidence flooding back. It's not like he's an inverted winger, Jodi Jones type of player who picks the ball up deep and drives at the defence before cutting inside in on his right. Hiwula is the only striker we have who makes runs in behind the defence - play him in a position that means the ball is on his stronger foot when he gets there.

cc84cov

If he does persist with the 4-3-3, at the very least I'd swap Hiwula to the right of the 3 for a couple of games. A lot of his worst efforts this season have been when the ball has come across the box to him and he has to shoot on an angle with his left foot. Let him get those type of chances on his preferred right foot where he can confidently stick his laces through it and maybe he'll grab the goal that brings his confidence flooding back. It's not like he's an inverted winger, Jodi Jones type of player who picks the ball up deep and drives at the defence before cutting inside in on his right. Hiwula is the only striker we have who makes runs in behind the defence - play him in a position that means the ball is on his stronger foot when he gets there.
Looking at tonight’s game do we see robins changing it ? 433 with a failing left sided Hiwula & no right sided player I think we will be beaten well if he doesn’t change it...

Robccfc87

Good investment by the posh in eisa he will have added a few million to his price tag by the end of the season and potentially have fired them to the championship with tonev and Maddison they are as good a front 3 as you will find at this level

I hope that was intentional!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread